/ct/ - Canada Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/NKQpfv4
youtube.com/watch?v=STaximkaQxo
princessauto.com/en/detail/autolink-al439-obdii-eobd-electrical-test-tool/A-p8454340e
discord.gg/W3NTtAb
northernontario.travel/motorcycle-touring/great-ontario-bike-roads-the-big-map
motowhere.com/listpaths/country/43/region/37
ridegreybruce.com/epic-road-touring-route.html
google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1gmYBD-AOQvZnItg2D0DaK5XR5Y4&hl=en
darksitefinder.com/maps/world.html
amazon.ca/Veepeak-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Scanner-Android/dp/B011NSX27A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481550968&sr=8-1&keywords=OBD2
discord.gg/DM75fSs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

was unaware that this board is /int/

Loving this deep freeze in Alberta

Alternator upgrade and or a block heater keeps my battery happy.

Snow crawl season on and off the road!

Are you crazy in the head man?

Started everyday in 2014,15. block heater rusted off last spring and never replaced it. might need a battery heater too if this weather keeps up

>buy 4x4 for canadiano winter
>end up most of the time in 2wd to do skids around corners

>not taking it offbroad

YEG here. Remember that collision on the Whitemud on Thursday? Yeah, my heater decided to break that day and I had to sit for an hour in -32 waiting for traffic to move.

When I passed it, it looked like it was just literally 2 fucks who had a fender bender and decided to stop on the bridge.

Considering a new car either way. Best car for the Canadian winter?

in cowtown and had to walk home Thursday. by the time I got in the door the icicles hanging off my eyelashes were so heavy I could barely keep my eyes open.

>Best car for the Canadian winter?
not a VW, this is my last one.
A friend is enjoying his forester

i want to but i dont know trails in my area, also most clubs have dead forums or brand restricted access

Ontaricuck here

>tfw you can't get a sporty rwd daily driver because it's going to get you killed at worst and rust to shit in a few years at best

Yeah, the European ones are annoying to deal with unless you have a heated gay-rage. But then parking outside in the winter could also be an issue.

Toyota makes okay, reliable engines and so do most domestic US companies. However, nothing beats an old, simple design with the least amount of sensors and/or computer influenced hardware. Less shit to go wrong besides frame rust.

Who's ready for some fukken skidz bois

>he doesn't drench his vehicle in rustproofing liquid

step up senpai

Subby outback + high end studded tires. Low CoM, decent clearence, and lots of traction you can use.

discord.gg/NKQpfv4

Discord for Albertans

Recommend me a fun daily driver that will not exceed 8k senpais

> tight handling
> manual transmission
> (optional) high revs
> nice engine sound
> (optional) small/light weight
> not ugly body

For reference, civic Si past 2006 is rounded and fugly. I like the look of the brand new civics but nothing earlier than 2012.

jzx90

Where in the fuck am I gonna get that you goon

Craigslist, kijiji, importer? What the fuck do you mean you mongoloid.

E30 325i/318is brov

none of that 318i/325e biz

How am I gonna keep that in my price range, and how will it not be moot with maintenance?

It's a 1jz, you can beat the shit out of them and they will run forever, and you can find a 90 for 8k

>first semi-serious snowfall in Metro Vancouver in years
>everybody forgets how to drive

Every time.

Any B7 audi a4.
Remember the quattro.

Ontario here, how many of you use snow tires? I got by last winter with an RWD with summer tires and now have an AWD and plan on keeping summer tires on it, this decision was even easier. Not sure why anyone would use snow tires if you know how to drive and drive for the conditions.

Importing seems pretty autistic for this stage of my life. When I can have a place to store a JDM import for winter I will but for now, I think I will pass. I have looked into Lexus IS300 but they're all automatics.

I knew there would be people recommending German shitboxes. I'm tempted, but understand that this will be a stepping stone to a greater car. Can't have my daily driver eat all my money.

If you live in a major metropolitan area, the salt is almost enough for driving in. But once you get bordering suburbs, put some treads on.

Audi here,

Spent about 6k on an A4 quattro with 200k and have only changed the fuel filter and the crank sensor for about 100$ total. I've put 20k on with no problems after that. Plan on keeping it for about 4-5 more years.

I live innawoods but sometimes drive down the 401 for business on weekends so off peak hours. Never had any trouble that wasn't on purpose.

>implying there are great jap/us cars below 8k

The only japanese cars worth buying are the ones designed and modded from factory to be performance machines. As far as affordable mundane cars go, German options are better across the board. Performance american cars in your price range are all fugly and have shit interiors.

What do you have innawoods and where do?
Also, how have you only survived with summer tyres innawoods? Very aware dribing?

I'm the one shilling for Audi a few posts up. Have the Quattro and a Ram with a plow for driveway and towing.
About an hour north of Ottawa.
Since I keep my driveway cleared, I can always get out no problem, so if roads are really bad I can just take my time and spin all over for fun and not think about anyone coming. I wish I bought an AWD years ago.

Do you have an opinion on Volvo ownership in Ontario? I was looking at some S40 T5 turbo sedans. Will it break my bank to own one? I do plan to work on it myself.

Audi S4 is mustard for snowy conditions, though. Quattro is almost the same exterior with just a few cheap outs, no? I'm not sure AWD has that much of an advantage without differential changes, though. 4chun and the rest of the world are pretty torn up between the two and I guess it just comes down to the individual driver and vehicle.

Ottawa is otay, I guess. Along with the 401, they're still oversalted to shit as long as you're in that high density area between 'ronto and Trafficstan, Quebec.

Join muh off road general thread, m9. Have some fun in the Ram and learn a few grip tricks that extends to your Audi, too.

Never owned a Volvo so don't know too much about them, but I've found parts for my Audi cost quite a bit more than domestic and shops don't like talking about just ordering parts for them.

Not sure If I'm reading your reply wrong but here goes, Quattro is the AWD version, A4's come in non quattro editions as well. Yea I like that panther piss they put down these days, keeps the rust off and punishes people in a rush.

rwd is great for winter, just get snow tires and studs are best. LSD makes the whole experience so much better.

people know how to drive in Vancouver any other time of the year?

youtube.com/watch?v=STaximkaQxo

My cousin in Hull Qc. has an 850, it does him fine. don't know about the s40

I already drove rwd with summer last winter. Awd just made it easier this winter. Why would I buy the rubber Jew for only 5 months a year for the few days a year I'm out before the plows?

They say 15cm of snow tomorrow

Time for shitty fwd skids I guess

>fucking carbon tax
>7c/L more on gas

well fuck this shit

Thank Jewdeau

fuck im in Edmonton and everyone i know is calling me for help the last few days with their car since i used to be a mechanic. even Wednesday morning my girlfriends battery froze in her car and i had to drive her to work early in the morning and go get a new one. my blessed winter truck starts in anything

Trudeau can go fuck himself, i cant stand him anymore. hes fucking the west like his father did, id be the first to support Kevin O'Leary as PM

Maybe if PC's didn't put up that tucking idiot harper again you guys could have won

As long as he's not a conservative piece of human garbage, that's cool.
Because at this point, if he's right of center, chances are he's trash. Not always, but you'll usually find out a conservative is
>anti intellectual
>bigoted in some fashion
>climate change denier
>conspiracy theorist

Man, what would I ever give to actually talk to a conservative minded person that's a reasonable human being at this stage. At this point, the only reason I'd vote conservative is to keep my guns.
But even then, I'd rather just educate the left and get them into guns. Then there'd be no reason for a huge amount of people to vote conservative. I know a lot of fellow gun owners who only vote conservative to protect their thousands of dollars of guns. And I don't blame them.

But what good does it do when you just bury your hobby in conservative politics, when it's in fact a liberal and individualist pursuit to own firearms for your defense?

But man, if I could ever find the mythical conservative movement that isn't a piece of garbage. I sometimes dislike the baggage of calling myself leftist, but it seems that's the way it's gotta be.

what you're describing is basically the dead american cuckservative movement

It's also in the alt-right. You see a lot of it here on Veeky Forums and especially /pol/.
Hell, the alt-right is basically just those four camps, mixed up with people who don't know how to economy. Who think that consolidating money to the rich will somehow generate more wealth for them.
And the alt-right even mixes in straight up neo nazis. That's why I got out of the movement before it burned me.

Hey guys, 905 here

I just installed LED's in my car! Lights are so much better now!

Moved to New Brunswick recently.
Buying a Mazda3 later this week, any advice for car care in the freezing cold?
I come from Europe and have never had to deal with more than 2-3 days of snow a year.

I'm concerned with stuff like washing my car, are car washes equipped to deal with the cold properly/completely drying that shit before leaving?

what i meant was what you want is basically cuckservatism
muh conservative values but no racism hispanics are natural conservatives and israel is our gr8est ally

Pls keep this shit within /pol/ my boy.

sry b

any of you hosers try this Princess Auto special OBD2 reader? is it worth the $120?

my cat is dead ant keeps tripping the engine light, thinking I could use this to clear it once a month.

princessauto.com/en/detail/autolink-al439-obdii-eobd-electrical-test-tool/A-p8454340e

Waton racing discord (Ontario, other provinces welcome)
discord.gg/W3NTtAb

But what are those conservative values, other than preserving an old society that has been bigoted to other people?
This is why alt-right is not different from conventional conservatism. The only thing different is that it leans more on the nazis and the alt-right throws the word cuck into every single conversation where possible.

It's just conservatives, but worse. But even conventional conservatives share many of the same views the alt-right has.

So if someone could find that reasonable conservative that's not one of the four mentioned above, that'd be peachy. I'd love to talk to them about why the actual fuck they'd want to sit at the same table as those idiots.

>tfw sliding around in the snow last night

We're so starved for snow in Vancouver, it's been too long.

last winter was the time we had a green christmas and snow for only 2 months or something like that

How's car culture in your areas? I'm an americuck. Just curious.

>bigoted
>bad

canadians are objectively inferior to americans m8. it's scientific fact even though research is actively suppressed by the scientific community due to some disgusting "humanitarian" disease that's been going around.

sorry you're less evolved. maybe when we counquer your country and take you're skylines we'll let you have your own drinking fountains that spew maple syrup.

Calgary
total 100% Alberta shit
nothing but microdick lifted diesel trucks, a few RHD ricer that hang around SAIT, and every boomer has a shit ass america muscle car in the garage that they never drive.
Also who knows what the fuck is going on in the NE.

>canadians are objectively inferior to americans m8. it's scientific fact

nice b8 m8, ye I'll bite
we have better education, better health care, better social supports, and a better quality of life
but yeah ... we don't have yuor freedoms.
we don't have the freedom to refuse healthcare like Americans. our doctors will help you weather or not you have insurance.
gun ownership is a privilege here, reserved for those without a past of violent crime and who can pass a test anyone with a 3rd grade education can pass.
we have beer above 5%
our national sport involves strapping razor sharp blades on our feet and bashing a frozen rubber disk around on a massive sheet of ice and running each other into walls, while yours has a fat bloke swing a stick at a ball, and waddle towards one of 3 spots on a field when he might hit that ball.
I guess having your freedoms make you so much better than us

*tips fedora*

There are advantages and disadvantages.
Nation wide observations:
>People who are really into cars don't drive their good cars in the winter, so loved cars may be well preserved for their mileage
>Lots of people into more obscure models
>Lots of good nature to dirt hoon in
>Heug country means lots of empty roads to tour without a single cop for miles
>Used car ownership is not a big hassle, few safety checks that have fairly low standards to pass
>Driving laws are basically "don't be a cunt mate"
>Lots and lots and lots of bikers
>15 year old import restriction, can plate almost anything from another country, unless it's ludicrously unsafe like a Reliant Robin
>odd import restrictions like you have to swap out the A/C on some models or you need DOT tires and DOT amber turn signals
Ontario specifically:
>High insurance rates kick you in the dick every month
>Friendly community overall

Cambridge here, as soon as the snow started falling like two days ago I'd blast eurobeat and just fucking drift my way from home work its too rad.

>live in ontariorino
>straight and flat roads everywhere
>park your car for the winter because the rust monster will fuck your shit up after just one season

other than Hockley Valley road I don't know any places with good roads

If that's your MR2 then you've no idea how jealous I am. There's only one question: [spoiler] Have you tried to drift it? [/spoiler]

dont even joke about that

Awd doesn't stop you

>straight and flat roads everywhere
Just ask the bikers for some good roads.
northernontario.travel/motorcycle-touring/great-ontario-bike-roads-the-big-map
Two roads I like are missing. And that's the north coast of Lake Erie and Niagara Falls. Should be easy enough to plot those out. Follow the coast.

For Erie, I like to go from Lowbanks to Dover. For the falls, I like to go from Fort Erie to Niagara on the Lake. Hell, if you start in Hamilton in the morning, you could probably take the highway to Dover and circle your way around to St Catharines and get on the QEW back to Hamilton by the evening.

And you'd probably make good enough time to enjoy some good restaurants if you don't dilly dally.

motowhere.com/listpaths/country/43/region/37
Here's a bunch more maps.
ridegreybruce.com/epic-road-touring-route.html
Here's a map of some ghost towns in the middle of nowhere, if you're down to explore, learn history, and get spoopy.
google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1gmYBD-AOQvZnItg2D0DaK5XR5Y4&hl=en
If you want to go stargazing, get out into the country overnight. Put on some retrowave, hit a curvy country road close by, pack a snack and a coffee. Get to your spot late at night. Get comfy. By dawn, go back to town and hit up a breakfast restaurant.
darksitefinder.com/maps/world.html

We've got a lot to do here in Onterrible. Central and Northern Ontario are perfect for car guys to get away in for a weekend.

>Costco parking lot
>19th Sideroad King, ON

Lord Shiva! that is one well preserved and clean MR2!

How's vancouver in insurance rates?

Mazda3s are notorious for rusting, make sure you really check it out for any rust especially in the wheel wells. Get winter tires, and wash the car like once a week so the salt gets off it. Just bring a few mico fibre clothes to dry the car off at the end of the wash. Have an ice scraper/brush handy in the car.

Could also look into a block heater if you really want but its not totally necessary unless your up in like alberta etc.

Well I got the guy to safety it before purchase, so rust should be fine?
We do get about half a meter of snow here for about 6 months a year though...

>tfw you accidentally scrape your WAT sticker off your window because it was iced over

>High insurance rates kick you in the dick every month
Seconding, 370$/mo for a 80s box.

how easy is the full G test? Do they just take you on the highway and you just have to not die?

>another cold morning
>hop on the ttc, 6th fare hike 6 years in a row
>browse Veeky Forums on my phone
>look for a cheap car to insure in toronto
>$350-$500 Canadian syrup stacks
>day dream of sitting in my 1991 Mercedes 190e 2.6 in an empty tim hortons parking lot

I still have to get around to booking my test. From what I've herd it's like the G2 test but you drive on the 401 as well. If it's winter blast AC before the test or if it's summer blast heat before the test. Also remember to stuff 10-30 black ice trees under the passenger seat.

LS400 looks the same and it's close enough. You also get a 1UZ out of it.

>and a better quality of life

Compared to Americans, Canadians earn less, have less disposable income, vastly more debt, and on average, enjoy a lower quality of life from a financial perspective. Canadians pay more taxes, vastly more money for the necessities of life like utilities and food, and have some of the worst socialized healthcare on the planet. Canadians are also solemn, unfriendly, and gloomy, and have no identity outside of rampant consumerism and anti-Americanism.

I have a '16 ford focus se i thought it had a block heater now thats its starting to get cold anyone know where it would be located?

Canadians BTFO

>370$/mo for a 80s box

what the fuck? I'm paying $140/mo with my G2 for a V8 truck.

>Lies: The Post

>I believe everything I read on /pol/: The Post

is that what Fox "news" tells you?

What insurance company, car, and age?

If Ontario has kick in the balls insurance rates, what's the best other places for an immigrant who started a new life in Canada? I'm here for not anyone's harm. I'm here to start a new life and live it. Leave me alone pls no bully.

I'm also subtly asking what's the better cheaper places to live in Canada?

Wawanesa, 01 Tundra, 30. Literally bought the truck 2 days after I got my G2, and I got my G1 just a year earlier

Maybe it's because im

buy one from amazon

i use this one and torque pro; clear any check engines and shoots all codes

amazon.ca/Veepeak-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Scanner-Android/dp/B011NSX27A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481550968&sr=8-1&keywords=OBD2

it works for my honda but im poor and cant shill out to jew auto

Join the WATON discord man, I would love to cruse with that panda

discord.gg/DM75fSs

Alberta used to be cheep but insurance is going through the roof thanks to the Calgary flood, and the Fort Mac fire.

Saskatchewan, or Manitoba are probably cheep but then you have to live in Sask or Manitoba.

was to cold to work on projects last week, but it's supposed to be better by next week. Yay.

yegger here too. old diesel hasn't been a fan of coldstarting in this weather and I finally found the block heater cord. fucking PO hid it under the air intake box

Three point turn, parallel parking, highway driving, merge left, back to right and off the next exit. Other than that it's pretty much the same as the G2 test.

Here's a tip: Practice.

Fucked up the parallel and barely passed.

>tfw 280$/month insurance costs

>Located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Transitioning from Used Cars to New
>get a hand-me-down 2003 Honda CR-V from mother as a first-time driver
>it goes to shit, sell it to neighbor
>get a hand-me-down 2005 Mazda 3 from uncle
>rusts almost immediately, electrical issues makes the car alarm go off randomly unless I remove a fuse from it every single time I park the car, etc
Now that I have stable income, i'm finally ready to buy a car that I actually want to keep.
Important to note that I'm a casual driver in which I fill my gas and oil but I don't do oil or tire changes myself or any kind of handy work in or around the car.

Needs as a driver
>'Point A to Point B'
I'm a teacher and a tutor. I need to get around to students' home as well as get around the school district. Probably a 1hr-1.5hr drive to school every other day, and at night, 15-30min drive to students' homes.
>previous cars had no aux, heated seats, or any other modern day features
>not saying I wouldn't mind them, but a barebones car is enough
If possible, I'd like something that won't require so much maintenance (this might be a stupid request)

Money Situation
>Savings per month
I calculated the 'worst case scenario' for my expenses as well as my monthly income, and I'd get at least $1200-$1400 in savings per month.
>Lease? Finance?
The amount of money I'm making right now makes me eligible for leasing a car, but not financing it. The problem is the down payment.
A friend said that I should go for at minimum at 48 month lease, then buy out the car at the end. I really don't mind this at all.

Friend's Car Suggestions
>Hyundai Elantra, Accent
>Kia Forte, Rio
>Toyota Yaris, Corolla
>Honda Fit, Civic
>Nissan Sentra
Neither of us have looked into the pricing of each, but this is something I need to research

>tl;dr
casual commuter driver in Toronto, Canada, looking to lease a car based on $1200-1400 of pure savings per month. any suggestions / tips are welcome.

Toyota Corolla hands down. Cheap everything and where I am, a whole bunch of promos and stuff. Try talking to Scarborough Toyota near Eglinton. See what goodies you can get.

Where you at in Toronto?

I went to the store to buy smokes on pic this morning