What's the Deal With Tesla Fanboys?

I saw a thread about different types of car fanboys a couple months back, and I know Tesla was mentioned. But only recently have I felt the need to talk about this myself.

Why are Tesla fanboys so sensitive? It seems like every media outlet that speaks on Tesla or Elon Musk is full of nothing but praise and ass-kissing, but God forbid anyone make one single criticism of a Tesla. Recently, I read an article here about the "irrelevancy" of 0-60 times (autoblog.com/2016/09/02/zero-0-60-mph-performance-is-overrated/). Teslas are known for their 0-60 times due to the fact that A: they're electric and B: most are AWD. Nothing specifically negative was said about Tesla here, yet a check in the comments and the Tesla fun police are in full patrol. The article even mentioned other cars like the Camaro ZL1, Mustang GT500, and Viper were all guilty of "benchmark racing", yet I have not been able to find any butthurt Camaro, Mustang, or Viper fanboys complaining. But there are certainly Tesla fanboys up in arms about "m-muh 0-60!" and "m-muh jump off the line!" and "d-drag racing is the only thing that matters!".

I might be playing with fire, but seriously, why are Tesla fanboys so whiney and sensitive? Elon Musk recently just denied someone's order of a Tesla because the customer had some mean things to say about Musk's company wasting customers' time during the Model X (medium.com/@salsop/dear-elonmusk-you-should-be-ashamed-of-yourself-ca3d266882a4#.f1mwlbim9). Regardless of what you think of the blogger, what other car company rejects a customer because they said something negative? This isn't the first time Musk's done something like this. Top Gear reviewed the Roadster, and Musk threatened to sue them because he didn't like their criticisms.

Could this be the source of the Tesla fanboys' cult-like behaviour? Listen, Teslas are cool. It's OK to like them. But Tesla fanboys are fucking insufferable. I can't be the only one who notices this trend.

Other urls found in this thread:

realclearfuture.com/articles/2016/08/29/dont_count_out_the_internal_combustion_engine_111937.html
theverge.com/2016/5/4/11592830/chevy-jolt-electric-car-fake
latimes.com/business/la-fi-hy-musk-subsidies-20150531-story.html#page=1)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

*during the Model X's launch event

is this the new copypasta?

No. I already said I realize that another thread a couple months back said something similar, but I just wanted to give my own thoughts in hopes to get some meaningful feedback.

Fanclubs are often about what [x object] represents more than [x object].

Is Undertale a furfag game about gay goats? Are most football fans well-versed in the strategic aspects of the game?

They're just Prius fanboys on steroids

Yes, but a Prius doesn't have a good 0-60 time. That gives the Tesla fanboys a platform. What they don't realize is that 0-60 times are over-hyped (just like their precious EVs).

Prius motors at full power can snap the driveshafts.
>Step 3: Profit

You aren't the only one. Even after all this Musk's fanboys still defend him. Even when he's wrong. Customers complained that the P85D made 140 less horsepower than advertized. Yet we have Tesla fanboys turning on TESLA CONSUMERS saying things like "it doesn't matter since the P85D is still quick". It's like a cult. I actually read an article called "The Cult of Tesla". And then an EV car blog attacked the article saying it isn't true. Then after, another separate blog stepped in and defended the article and utterly debunked the EV blog. All of this was documented by - you guessed it - a FOURTH blog (typing this out makes it sound much more confusing). I'll try and find it again, it might still be in my history.

Because they're all crybaby millennials.

Is this your first experience with a cult? Musk fulfills pretty much all of their fantasies:

>"irl Tony Stark"
>going green
>escaping "this shitty rock"
>self-insertion

Plus there's an air of distrust for major corporations, and Musk is somehow perceived as being different from that atmosphere.

From what I can tell, most Tesla fans aren't actually "car enthusiasts", but rather computer nerds who like it because Elon Musk is working on it. I'm a programmer and there is a gigantic circlejerk around Elon. Among Redditors and hackernews people he is a literal god for creating SpaceX and Tesla. I don't see any other car brands discussed among programmers otherwise (aside from a guy at work talking about his -04 Focus shitbox) but the Tesla gets mentioned all the time. Tech blogs that normally never deal with cars also review the Teslas occasionally. It's as if the Teslas aren't even cars, just another computer gadget like a tablet. That's why it attracts such a different crowd.

I can't stand how the fanboys know absolutely nothing about the inner workings of the car, similar to applefags not knowing their specs.

They don't know what battery chemistry it uses.
They don't know what kind of motors it uses.
They don't know how much power it takes to charge, and what that massive current is doing to their batteries.
They think a tiny solar roof can fully recharge their car in 10 minutes.

Are you stupid? Your average Millennial can't afford a Tesla you cuck.

It's older white dudes who own these cars.

Much like applefags, the feelgoodness and social image is more important than the actual product

Spot on. They're fans of Tesla, not car enthusiasts. Some aren't even tech enthusiasts. It's very similar to how innovations with the ICE engine don't get talked about at all because ICE engines aren't treated as "tech issues", while EV batteries are always talked about. There's a good article on it here: realclearfuture.com/articles/2016/08/29/dont_count_out_the_internal_combustion_engine_111937.html

fan =/= owner

you dipshit

underdog complex
>the big bad auto industry is out to get us! we must rally together to stop them and convince the unwashed masses of our one truth

sucks too, because i'm into performance EVs as a concept but the fucking tesla shits ruin that viewpoint by association

i just want the chevy bolt drivetrain in an alpha chassis coupe with good suspension tuning god damnit

Teslas are post-automobile vehicles. They are Macs with wheels.

I'd drive the fuck out of that

Sorry, guys...
theverge.com/2016/5/4/11592830/chevy-jolt-electric-car-fake

Once the warranty, tax subsidies, and special snowflake status wears off reality will hit them hard.

i know its fake but i wish it was real :(

Teslacucks are literally the worst

>tesla is best performance car in the world, it slays supercars all day long like it aint nothing!!!
>"well no... it doesnt 'slay supercars', it beats a bunch of sportscar to 60mph then gets fucking rekt past 100mph by anything with more than 200hp and a gearbox.. it also is a fat slow overheating and unreliable turd that cant do a full lap of a 2 mile track under its own power... and lets ignore the fact it can only do half a dozen 0-60 pulls before 80% of the power is drained and its limited to being slower than a geo metro.... some fucking performance car that is!"
>NO NO NONE OF THAT COUNTS WHY ARE YOU ACTING LIKE COMMUTER FAMILY LUXURY SEDAN IS MEANT TO BE A SUPERCAR OMG OMG YOURE SO WRONG AND STUPID TRACK PERFORMANCE DOESNT MATTER
every time

kek this, tax breaks and government subsidies are the only reason these things sell
and if it werent for stupid bullshit like carbon credits and offsets tesla would have gone bankrupt a looong time ago

Ignore them

>"B-bu...Elon Musk doesn't rely on subsidies!!!"
>Elon Musk has received $4.9 billion in subsidies by 2015 (latimes.com/business/la-fi-hy-musk-subsidies-20150531-story.html#page=1)
>"B-bu...in Norway-"
>Gas in Norway is $6.48 a gallon and Norway's electric cars receive around $15,000 of corporate welfare per vehicle, and EV drivers receive many special benefits on the road. Yet after all this EVs only make up 22% of new vehicles sales when they should be making up around 80% with all of these benefits in place. But they don't.
>"LOL YOU MUST BE PAID BY (insert oil company) FUCKING SHILL ELECTRIC CARS ARE THE FUTURE GO BACK TO RIDING YOUR HORSE AND CARRIAGE GRANDPA!!!"

But that's too easy! :(