>GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
>Godot: godotengine.org
>LÖVE: love2d.org
>UE4: unrealengine.com
>Unity: unity3d.com
What if we added XNA and Haxe?

XNA's Not An engine, it's a framework

>XNA and Haxe?
No one posts about using them in /agdg/.

I don't even know why we have construct in there.

construct 2 was memed into the op
no-one actually uses it here

what is Uli up to now?

Löve is a framework too, but it's up there

>I don't even know why we have construct in there.

it's an okay engine for absolute beginners, i don't see what's wrong with having it for anyone who wants to get into gamedev without any programming knowledge

strawpoll.me/12202674

What's a good method for first person animations?

love is a graphics engine

>stamping /agdg/ on Ulililia
c'mon now
at least with backgrounds people would know we couldn't have made something of that quality. Uli actually looks like he'd be from here.

Im making a card based rpg. Its gonna be pixel art styled.Im working on the base gameplay in unity.
Im not that good at c# but im gonna have classes this semester and i pretend to expand my knowledge after learning the basics. As its going to be a fairly simple project i pretend to finish it before 2018.

Depends if you're including the whole body

real poll
poal.me/36ko0a

ok

Give me some original comfy jam ideas

How is it any different

Doing is best for learning

Remake it allowing people to add engines.

I think that'd be interesting, but I'm fine with floaty hands

No you

Stylish
Animated
Meme chat potential
Doesnt fuck up non-standard characters
Can vote without a page reload
Can change your vote

>Doesn't fuck up non-standard characters
Looks correct for me

>first person
>including the whole body
? ? ?
?
?

Your confusion confuses me

XX for anime is trash

where were u when user realized he had a body his whole life

There's no way Uli would ever come from agdg. He embodies the opposite of the "thread culture" here.

>166655863
>No you
Fine.

DEFINITIVE POLL, USE THIS ONE :
poal.me/a9mlvj
poal.me/a9mlvj
poal.me/a9mlvj

You may add an engine using the button below if you'd like (like PICO-8 for all I care).

Doesn't it being first person negate 95% of the body? So why animate it?

There is a modeller here Troy that does viewmodels. Unfortunately he doesn't know which way bullets face in a clip, but otherwise he seems to know his animation stuff

XXI for anime is trash

What engine are you using? Unity?

Yep.

Only if your character is morbidly obese or something

>No one posts about using them in /agdg/
You could argue no one posts about them because they're not in the OP. Information in the OP should be objective, not subjective according to the whims of who thinks which engine is "valid"

The shitposter likes to remove Unity from the OP whenever he can. It's the engine that triggers him the most.

That's a hilarious idea. If its that easy to trigger people here than I'll start making some OPs myself.

DUDE
MEMES
LMAO

There are no alive games using source so that will be removed.

I know it's nothing, but it's probably the last bit of progress I can make today.
Also I was wondering, would it be annoying if, when you press the key to make the mechanical arm work, you first need to wait for the player character to go to the machine and activate it? Would it be annoying?

>If its that easy to trigger people here
Learn to read. The mere existence of Unity pains him so much that he tries to hide it from the OP. Like Unity is a person and he is spiting them and it will be offended and have it's feelings hurt. When really it just shows that Unity triggers nodevs hard.

I wish the ECS in unity wasn't dogshit, it's so hard to get objects to interact

Would it be fun to watch the character move to the thing for the 100th time?

Yes. She is cute.

That's my doubt though then again, I don't know if anyone will play the game long enough to get to that point

Isn't ECS where you're not supposed to have objects interacting, but manager classes that interact with them?

the future of vidya

>it's so hard to get objects to interact
It's not hard you just don't like the workflow.

I think it'd be fine if there was an option to skip/fast forward the animation if the player wanted.
Something like double tapping the key to warp her there or something.

but i do

>but i do
have no game? I would agree yes you have no game.

>Would it be annoying?
after some time yeah . but its more immersive like that.
It feels like you are realy in control of the boat. And not that you ARE the boat

>souce fag is making half life 3 by hinself
>people keep calling him a faggot

Added some more style

>souce fag is making half life 3
That would explain why he has no game

can I make a proper ecs in unity by making all components of entities classes with purely data and then making scripts to act as Systems and attaching them to system entities that I place in the scene

>call him fag
>upset that people call him faggot

Scary.

i didnt said you should stop calling him a fag

added palette functionality to stage editor to make swapping out certain colors much faster, also includes gradients dependent on position within stage
also stages can now have a few different color sets

reposting because i forgot to carry over a certain fix from the editor to the game

He doesn't really exist anyway. It's become an impersonation of an insane nodev by other insane nodevs. Quite meta.

Does your game need Jap girl voice clips? I have a bunch I bought cheap on DLsite!
mega.nz/#F!cEw1WB5K!l94j6GAECJhE6F7UjPsebg

no, it's legitimately hard, often I don't know how interaction is even supposed to be possible because you can't pass messages, you can't easily get references and you can't really do anything except drag and drop, which is fine only for very simple projects

there are no pure classes in unity, only components, so no you can't do that, you must get the components to interact directly

>you can't easily get references
Whats wrong with GetComponent?

you have to hardcode every single reference, so you can't dynamically figure out who you are talking to

You're supposed to separate data and logic so that the logic can operate on multiple pieces of data (components) at once.

It doesn't have to be manager classes or anything, it's very abstract. Unity doesn't fit the bill because all the component logic is encapsulated in the components themselves. It's compositional as opposed to inheritance-based, but it's not ECS.

Shilling opportunity for unity devs, #UnityGoals hashtag is going on twitter. Put a video or someting and use the hashtag for some likes and retweets.

maybe, yeah. if you give the system entity a global name and hardcode that reference into the data scripts to register themselves when they get spawned

You can pass types to GetComponent or even strings that are component type names

In Python can an object hold a list of methods, either its own or another objects? Or can it only hold functions?

>pass
from where?

So to be proper ECS components shouldn't have functions, only fields? And then like static classes for the data processing?

Whats the license on this stuff (granted it obviously doesn't apply to people who haven't bought it in the first place). Like do you have to credit the individual/group/seller or can you just use them once you bought them?

Methods of an object are essentially just functions that take the object as a parameter. Many languages have syntax to turn this into x.foo() as opposed to foo(x). Python also has closures, though, which means you can wrap up an object and a method (among other things) into just a function value that can be passed around. So yes to both.

They can have their own methods, but generally they should be (at least conceptually) pure data that is exposed well enough that you can write functions at a "higher level" that operate on multiple components. If these functions need to go in static classes as static methods, then that's what has to happen, but you don't need any so-called manager classes.

If it's used in a free product you don't have to do anything. It's NICE to credit the group involved but not required.

If it's used in a commercial product you don't have to credit if you're the purchaser of the product, but if you do use it without credit and you aren't the one who bought it you risk legal troubles.

a static class won't get called in unity unless a component calls it, everything has to be a component

Well, in Unity, you will need some kind of "manager class" to act in place of code that would just run in the main function or another function called by the main function. But all that manager class will do is store all the entities/components and call the systems (functions operating on components) over the entities that have those components.

I would also argue against doing the popular ECS design where all you have is arrays of components and entities are indices. That's way more genericity than you need in practice and leads to poor efficiency. I prefer to have types for each entity type that just have components as fields.
boreal.aggydaggy.com/programming/2016/05/26/entity-safari.html

write some more articles you fuck

now I just need a furry protagonist and I'll be bathing in money!

>So to be proper ECS components shouldn't have functions, only fields?
>proper ECS
no, this is just one possible way to do an ECS system
you can just as easily have a system with no managers and all the objects interact directly

>you can't pass messages, you can't easily get references and you can't really do anything except drag and drop
Sounds to me like you have no idea what you're doing. Did you even try to learn how Unity works?

>finally motivated to go back to old player movement project I was tinkering with
>go back
>everything is a fucking mess
>barely understand a word of the code I was writing, even with comments
>don't want to start from beginning but pretty much have to

feels bad man

I just wanna make an fps where you can walk on walls

Should I grow a beard and dye my hair in red or green to look more like a game developer

What happened to the official AGDG game project?

lol

No
you should grow a beard and dye your hair pink

Only if you are making a 'game' with no gameplay at all and pretending it's because its 2deep4u instead of your lack of skills

Finally its put into words what indie games are irritating

gonna have to second the lol

I used to use XNA, but I ported to monogame last month for DesktopGL. XNA is love for 2D shit if you don't give a shit about portability.

>being first person negate 95% of the body
user, I don't want to upset you but look down

How is it possible that I am making games without knowing anything about ECS theories? Could it bet that such issues are superfluous towards making a game?

Excuse me?

Don't use 3.5 it is fucked for retina displays. Use 3.6 dev if you can.

spookyquest dev uses construct

ECS is a design pattern
it's perfectly possible to make any program without ever studying design patterns (or OOP at all, for that matter)

Is there a problem? It is a simple question

Do you mind giving me a quick and dirty description of the problem? I'm not feeling well, so I don't want to put in the effort to google.

Also I doubt 3.6 itself will be the most currently monogame release when I release my game, so that problem probably only extends to my demos.

>stop talking about programming