Is this worth getting as a Miata alternative

Is this worth getting as a Miata alternative
Somehow it hasn't been hit by the rice tax and the prices are around the range of similar year NBs

Other urls found in this thread:

automotivethinker.com/chassis/stop-and-weight-a-5050-weight-distribution-is-not-optimal/
media.fcanorthamerica.com/newsrelease.do?id=16546
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>miata alternative
triggered.
it's MR, you either want an MR car or you don't.

They're both cheap ass Jap roadsters, I think a fair comparison can be made

This. Mr2 is a good car, but it's not an "alternative" to a Miata. The engine is behind the driver and passenger seat in an mr2, vs it being in the front of the car in a Miata. They have very different handling and tuning characteristics, and in the old mr2s they were transverse mounted engines. Personally I'd take an mr2 over Miata, but they're really different cars.

>i'd rather have fucked weight balance and snap oversteer than perfect weight balance and perfect suspension
uhhhh.... ok

if you say so, to me the lay out of a car is kind of important though .

Yes.
I am looking to get an zzw30 over a miata.
But they're not that comparable.
w30 has little storage space, enough to be practical but not as much.
It's also mid engined and aftermarket is much smaller.

If you get one watch out for the one problem:
precats.
Make sure the car you test drive has plenty power up high and doesn't burn oil. You can check that by revving while cold, if it emits shitload of smoke it has nibbled on its precat at some point.
Once you get one with no problem, get rid of precats and reset ECU and you'll be laffin

50-50 WD is not perfect. It's good for normies.
If you want to go real fast you want some rear bias for more grip.
It's midengined anyway so you'll btfo miatas in corners

Snap overmeme isn't a problem, liftoff oversteer is.
And the danger makes you and the car cooler.

>50-50 WD is not perfect. It's good for normies.
stopped reading there

>memes
uhhhhh... ok

okay busrider.
Weight distribution isn't that important anyway, car with bad WD can rek a car with perfect WD

>proper weight balance and double wishbone
>a meme

rear bias is preffered since it helps to brake, accelarate, corner entry and corner exit.
Your car will almost never be in an unshifted weight state anyway when driving.
Mr2 vs miata in exact same suspension, tyres and power.
Guess who'll lose.

>busrider
what
>Weight distribution isn't that important anyway

>mr2 vs miata
>exact same suspension
the fuck kind of question is this? did you just wake up

many supercars don't have 50/50 WD

Yes they are memes and you are a namefagging memer.
Stop shitting up this thread.

>macpherson strut front suspension
>non-50/50 weight balance
Explain the 911's motorsport success.

maybe it's the engineering they did?
apparently toyota must suck at that, woops snap oversteer

Porsche 918: 43/57
LaFerarri: 41/59
Veyron: 44/56
P1: 41/59
F40: 42/58

ZZW30: 44/56
SW20: 46/54
AW11: 44/56

Dodge Viper ACR: 50/50

41/59 is considered ideal for a high power midengine car.
44/56 is considered ideal for a low power midengine car.
50/50 is ideal for a front engine rwd vehicle.

Granted those Germans just engineered their way around the issues created by the design. The very back of the car is not a really good place for an engine in general.

Worse cargo volume, slightly more troublesome engine, possibly slightly better handling. On the upside the 2ZZ bolts into the 1ZZ's place for all those of us with stricter inspections and a less plentiful aftermarket, unlike the Miata which'll require more extensive mods and possibly even a turbo kit. I like both.

An MR2 is leagues better than a Mistake to race but I don't see OP specifying whether he's racing it? Regardless, you wouldn't pick either if you wanted a properly fast cheap Jap hair raiser, you'd pick a turbo SW20

SW20 is rice taxed as fuck

It's more like rear-bias is always ideal for RWD, but impossible to achieve with FR layout.

Look at the Viper, the engine is in the middle while the interior is over the rear wheels, but it's still 50/50.

That's true but the Dodge Engineers also claimed that 50/50 was their ultimate goal and what they considered perfect distribution.

>weight balance
The hell are you talking about. It's either weight distribution, or balance, you're confusing two things here. Balance is a function of weight distribution.

>Perfect suspension
Even if there was such a thing as perfect suspension, Miata's are known for not having it. Most of them are undersprung, with a tendency to roll excessively, from the factory.

>50/50 is ideal for a front engine rwd vehicle.
No.

automotivethinker.com/chassis/stop-and-weight-a-5050-weight-distribution-is-not-optimal/

In all rearwheeldrive vehicles, you want the static weight distribution to be further towards the rear, something like 40/60, with maybe a few percent deviating from that rule of thumb because of your suspension setup and weight centralisation.

>car with bad WD can rek a car with perfect WD
Kinda true. A car with poor mass centralisation and a perfect weight distribution will be outperformed by a car with good mass centralisation and a bad weight distribution.

>snap oversteer
snap oversteer is a fucking meme, it might have been bad on the really early sw20's but on the zzw30 it's basically nothing. it's really overblown

>>proper weight balance
50/50 isn't perfect, see .

>Explain the 911's motorsport success.
After 5 decades (and counting) of putting a square peg in a round hole, they've mostly succeeded.

The key to the 911's motorsport success is pretty much the rear-biased weight distribution, reasonably good mass centralisation, great packaging, and, perhaps most importantly, a long period of iterative development where they've created a suspension setup that negates a lot of the downsides of it's engine packaging. This suspension wizardry is mostly done at the back, and the front struts are just along for the ride.

To be fair, the Toyota engineers DID make for a reasonably bad rear suspension design in the first two generations.

FCA is claiming that it's optimal. I think their team of engineers probably know better than you.

media.fcanorthamerica.com/newsrelease.do?id=16546

Don't talk shit, early SW20 rear suspension may have been unforgiving for a novice but if you know what you're doing it's a fantastic setup for both feedback and grip. Try owning one.

FFS. So much bitching in this thread.

Found a good one for a price you can afford? Get it inspected, and buy it if everything checks out.

You always want about 40/60, and up to 45/55 is possible in ''conventional'' front mid-engined, rear wheel drive car. The Cheetah was something like 47/53 if I recall correctly. If you're going all out for straight line acceleration, you can stretch the wheelbase several feet, and end up with 90% of the weight sitting ont he rear axle, like in Funny Car dragracing. However, it's not worth sacrificing a short wheelbase for the perfect weight distribution. You might as well prioritise that short wheelbase, centralise the mass as best you can (=better polar moment of inertia), and then push the weight distribution towards you optimal point.

Sure, on a car with a rear-biased aero distribution, it might pay off to have a more neutral weight distribution. However, what happens more often is:
>Design front engine car
>Try and get the weight as far back as possible
>Fail
>Pander to the 50/50 myth in your advertising

>media.fcanorthamerica.com/newsrelease.do?id=16546
This isn't the engineers speaking, it's the marketing department. Any true racing engineer knows you want rear bias, be it aero or weight, on a competetive car. I bet you the GT3 Vipers are rear-biased too.

Macpherson struts are always a compromise, user. You just can't have (close to) ideal camber curves with them. I'm not knocking on the design of the MR2, it's just a flaw of the design and you can work around it.

MG F its a 1.8 mid engine rear wheel

He's probably in American anyway. Those are rare too, yea?

I'm looking to buy an MRS.
There's one model for sale, a 2004 one but it has what seems to be brown color and golden rims and accents.
Is this some special color edition or is it aftermarket paint?
Would it be reasonable to try and get the value down on it?