WAIT A MINUTE

WAIT A MINUTE.....

IS THE TOYOBARU AN EXTENSION OF THE AE86?

WHY DOES IT HAVE A FLAT 4 ENGINE...I THOUGHT THIS WAS JUST SOME MEME INLINE 4

MFW THE BRZ IS ACTUALLY AN INTERESTING CAR WITH HISTORY

Other urls found in this thread:

motortrend.com/news/toyota-ft-86-mule-at-nurburgring/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You created a thread to tell us you're a retard?

Okay.

I came to post this but someone beat me to it.

Stop sniffing glue, OP.

There's no point in living anymore, I can't tell if it's a retarded newfag or a shitpost.
Memes were a mistake.

Wait, is it really an extension of the AE86?

Is the 86BRZ the MX-5 of our generation?

MX-5 is the MX-5 of our generation.

Toyobaru is the 240SX of our generation.

What did he mean by this

If the BRZ is a true Subie, why doesn't it have AWD?

In name and drive wheels only

It's not a Subaru and it's not a Toyota, that's why it's just meh
If it was a real Toyota it would have a legendary Toyota/Yamaha engine in it and would be awsome
Or if it was a real Subaru it would have 4wd and a big turbo, also awsome

If anything Its a celica
Low powered rwd cars made to look sporty when in reality they are just commuters for secretary sluts and middle aged men

Now that people have had them a while, what are the more common engine swaps or mods people are doing?

buh but muh mod culture and platform building

It's just an inexpensive sports car. Calm your autism.

Literally nothing except worthless Bolt ons
Every non stock toyobaru I see is driven by an Asian who has spent thousands on cosmetic mods and at most probably has a catback, 'cold air' intake and a flash tune they paid 2k for

>and at most probably has a catback, 'cold air' intake and a flash tune they paid 2k for

you don't really need much more. good 98RON petrol and sticky tires alone will make the car as quick as you can drive it well.

shielded ram intake gives it a lot nicer throttle response, and clears up the engine bay from clutter.

3'' exhaust and headers will naturally help flow a lot, as well as helping you shed up to 20-25kg

empty the boot and remove the rear seatback, put on some 17x9 RPF1, and you've got yourself a 200hp, 1160kg/2550 pound RWD, for accord money.

supercharging is probatly the most common performance mod

absolutely no connection
Toyota has never made a car with a boxer engine ever
no lie...
Subaru went from RR to FF
awd is recent for them

According to Toyota, The Toyobaru is a long letter to 3 of Toyota's most iconic sports cars ever.
The Toyota Sports 800
This was Toyota's first sports car ever and it actually used a flat 4 engine like the new Toyobarus. To further the connection, the Toyota engine code for the Toyobaru is reminiscent of the Sports 800, using the same engine family code even though they're unrelated
The Toyota 2000GT
This is where the styling came from. The Toyobaru was styled to look like a retro-modern take on the 2000GT. They actually brought a 2000GT into the design studio to inspire the designers.
The Toyota Corolla AE86
Having taken note of the rising popularity of the original AE86, Toyota tuned the FR-S/GT86's chassis to evoke the AE86 Corolla's handling. They even used eco-friendly Prius tires to make it easier to induce controllable oversteer.

Pic related. All 4 cars in one picture.

>long letter
love letter

And the AE86 connection went further.
First they named it the GT 86, shortened to 86 in some countries.
Second was the badge This is the badge on the genders of the Scion FR-S and Toyota GT 86. There's 2 horizontally opposed pistons denoting the cylinder layout and then the 86 logo in the middle.

Neat little fact: the size of the exhaust tips on the Toyobaru is 86mm, the same size as the cylinder bore of the engine.

>IS THE TOYOBARU AN EXTENSION OF THE AE86?
No, it's just pandering to Initial D weaboos.

>WHY DOES IT HAVE A FLAT 4 ENGINE...I THOUGHT THIS WAS JUST SOME MEME INLINE 4
It would have been an actual Toyota sportscar with some kind of inline 4. The boxer is just a tacky Subaru mistake that requires subpar front suspension to fit.

>supercharging is probatly the most common performance mod
Lolnope. Tunes and boltons are always the most common modification.

>it actually used a flat 4 engine like the new Toyobarus.
Actually, no. It used a flat twin which was originally designed for small trucks and subcompact vehicles. The Sports 800 was a classic example of taking a subpar engine and pandering it as a sporty product, which is a tradition they now extended with the BRZ86. Even more pathetic is trying to code the engine as being heritage, when it's just a Subaru product without the proper bits that make it go fast.

>The Toyobaru was styled to look like a retro-modern take on the 2000GT.
Take a look at it. There are very few styling cues even resembling the 2000GT, nevermind there being a clear connection (like for example the new and old Fiat 124 Spider). The marketing department put a 2000GT in the studio to brag, and then let focus groups and crash standards design the Toyobaru - crash standards being one of the very few areas where a BRZ86 can objectively beat a Mustang.

1/2

>Toyota tuned the FR-S/GT86's chassis to evoke the AE86 Corolla's handling.
In no way, shape or form is the BRZ86 emulating the AE86. The AE86 was known for having a good front end and a tailhappy rear, which is great when you have low weight. The BRZ86 has a lot more weight, a heavily compromised front end (thanks, pigwide boxer engine) and independent rear suspension. They're the inverse of each other, even in context. The AE86 was the upper end sportscar of the entire Corolla lineup, while the BRZ is hailed as halo car in terms of sportiness and dirver engagement. Well guess what, that's a pure lie coming from the companies that gave you the Prius and the Crosstrek.

>They even used eco-friendly Prius tires to make it easier to induce controllable oversteer.
No, they used Prius tires to get low emissions and fuel economy results, which meant that customers in Europe had to pay lower CO2 taxes on a new Toyobaru - Europe being the only place where 200hp could ever be considered sporty. On the other hand, you'd think it'd only sell in the American market, because those people are the only ones who could claim 2700 lbs is the pinnacle of lightweight sportscars. No sane person on either continent should actually buy it once they see the ridiculous price when you compare it to a WRX.

>First they named it the GT 86, shortened to 86 in some countries.
>86
>86
>86
Autism doesn't make a good car, good engineering makes a good car. If you have your marketing department scrabble numbers all over your car without a coherent theme and design goal, which this ''joint'' project clearly lacks.

It's a good platform overall, but honestly the price is bloated between Toyota Tax and interior features. Not everyone wants econobox electronics either. The stock seats and steering wheel, while safe, are heavy due to airbags. The dynamics are on point but it's more like a mid-life crisis mobile than a tuner car.

>No sane person on either continent should actually buy it once they see the ridiculous price when you compare it to a WRX.
Germany here.

brz = 31k €
wrx sti = 41k €
There is no wrx

To make it more clear:
Golf GTI = 30k €
Audi TT = 33k € (With nothing in it)

t. cant afford a brz

how many people go hod wild on trd parts ?

I'm thinking about buying one of these, but I want to know if my reasoning is flawed:

>own a miata nb
>it's great but cramped and impractical
>have long legs so the steering wheel restricts how I can use the pedals
>gt86 is bigger but still comparatively light and comfier

>drive my miata in autocross a lot
>routinely beat WRXs, 350zs, M3s and nearly always beat my friend in his M4
>cars I rarely beat if ever: STis, Evos, heavily tuned Miats, and gt86s (except for one or two drivers I have a hard time beating them, which surprised me)
>owners I talk to say they love the handling
>everything I read says the same
>I'll be used to the low power because lol mx-5

Has my brain been meme'd or am I making good points?

>tuned Miats
well you already have a miata and are used to driving it
selling is often more costly than buying

Why isn't it called Trueno/Sprinter/Levin in Japan

REMINDER

This car has nothing Toyota about it. All they can claim is """"spiritual successor"""" and point to older Toyotas and say "l-look see i-its just like our older cars".

This is a fucking Imprezza that has been stretched out and all wheel drive removed. It has a shitty Subaru engine. It even uses the same hub and knuckles (and bolt pattern) as the Imprezza.

DO NOT CALL THIS A TOYOTA REEEEEEEEEEEE

"""Toyota"""

motortrend.com/news/toyota-ft-86-mule-at-nurburgring/

>This car has nothing Toyota about it.
except the fuel injection system, transmission, and, on the Toyota/Scion versions at least, the suspension tuning.
>This is a fucking Imprezza that has been stretched out and all wheel drive removed.
No. People as why the Toyobarus aren't AWD all the time. The answer is the same every time but they can't accept it, so here it is again.

Ahem.

THE CHASSIS WILL NOT SUPPORT AWD! There, The engine is mounted too far back (because weight distribution) to use one of Subaru's AWD transaxles, and too low (because center of gravity) to use a truck-style transfer case with a front pumpkin.

Now onto another point.
>But Subaru has a turbo version of the FA20! Why not shove that in there?
Because the turbo version isn't as good. Sure it has a beefier bottom end, and an iron lung attached to the exhaust, but make no mistake, it is worse than the BRZ86 version. Why?
Cylinder heads. The turbo version uses shit cylinder heads. The BRZ86 heads outflow the turbo ones and are built to rev higher. So why doesn't Subaru toss those heads on the turbo engine? Well this is where Toyota came in. Remember that fuel injection system? It's incorporated into the heads and Toyota refuses to share it on anything but the jointly developed cars.

>The engine is mounted too far back because weight distribution
oh yeah looks like they tried real hard to get a good weight distribution. 56/44 is a fucking joke. FWD tier weight distribution there

Toyota and Subaru not getting along made a already shit Subaru even worse.

But why is there no supercharger version?

It will not destroy the even power curve of the car and thus the characteristic.

It will also not destroy the engine as shown on shitloads tuned 86/brz.

The car takes 280hp/320nm with no issues.

>But why is there no supercharger version?
because Scion. Toyota planned to release a supercharger kit through TRD, though this never came to fruition. This would've fit in perfectly with Scion's business model of selling single trim cars and then selling a buttload of afterrnarket add ons through the dealer.

But scion was only a thing in the usa and canada.

Dont think it had that much influence.

It was always planned to be a Scion. And if they developed a bolt on supercharger for the Scion variant, who's to say the model wouldn't go over well in other countries. It's another accessory to market.
>*customer gets back from test drive* "The chassis is fantastic but it needs more power"
>*Jew in finance department rubs his hands* Well look over here, We have this bolt on part that increases the power to what you want and doesn't void the warranty. Will that be cash or charge?

Yea but I'm kinda of tired of having to squeeze into it when I want to go drive to some fun roads. Plus the pedal issue I talked about kinda sucks since I can't heel toe without shifting my entire body. The gt86 is much better in that regard.

Boyracers wouldn't be able to handle 280hp on prius tires.

Because those are chassis names.