Scared of ramps

I just got my driver's license but when I was studying I used a diesel car, just stepping on the clutch then gas was enough to get the car moving on a ramp, but now my old Yaris runs in gasoline so I have to use the handbrake, but it feels so clunky and bad. My friend was driving behind me and I almost crashed with him because the car started falling. I barely got out of the situation but it was really embarrassing and dangerous
Can anyone give me a few tips on how to not fuck it up? I'm scared of going to places where I have to stop on ramps.

Practice

Handbrake on. Lift clutch until you see the front of the car appear to rise a tiny bit. Handbrake off, add gas, away you go. Practice on safe, traffic free ramps before you go out driving again.

Fuck using the handbrake just release the clutch to the bite point while holding brake pedal and let go of it then start accelerating

Handbrake is inconvenient in most traffic and hills

I seriously don't understand why people struggle with this and claim to know how to drive manual.

This. I've tried the handbrake method that Veeky Forums constantly shills and can verify that it's fucking stupid. You just let out the clutch to the bite point and the car will stay still and then you can apply gas. It isn't complicated. I can even do it with my 90hp miata on a decently steep hill without any problems

Here's how I learned it
>let clutch out until you feel it bite
>move foot from brake to gas
>let the clutch out all the way as you give it more gas
I do this in cars with literally no torque and on really steep inclines. Never used the handbrake, never rolled back more than an inch.

Took me w couple tries on an empty hill until I got it, but eventually I did.

Personally have used both depending on the situation

the handbrake method is how it's taught and also how people who are shit tier manual drivers can avoid rolling back into the car behind them.

Unless i'm doing a hill start up a fucking cliff i just slip the clutch to the bite point, drop the brake and accelerate off.

practice hillstarts

handbrake is better for clutch preservation

It basicly takes practise.
In the first few weeks you will get into a few nervous situation and your car will go off a few times at a traffic light.
Just concentrate and after a while you stop thinking about it.

>foot on brake and clutch
>release brake and step on gas
>steadily let of clutch while revving around 2k - 2.5k so you don't stall

You'll roll down a little before taking off, but you don't have to use the retarded handbrake. Doing this once or twice every couple of days won't ruin the clutch either.

AAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWW POOR LITTLE BABY

not ever driving at all is also better for clutch preservation

>car has no tachometer
>have to guess RPM by engine noise
>either stall out or blast off like a rocket

This is gonna take a lot of practice...

See it as if you're driving off normally, only you have to add a bit more gas to overcome gravity. Yes, you need to be familiar with your throttle to do this properly. Just release the clutch as you would normally, but a little more careful (moderately paced, but not riding it forever) and add more gas as needed when you feel you might begin to stall. Imagine you're driving a heavy car with a terribly underpowered engine. You're better off anyway launching it like a rocket than stalling it with 3 of 4 cars behind you.

>I suck at driving manual and proper driving techniques are hard, therefore lazy shortcuts that unnecessarily wear out my clutch are good.

Leave this board forever.

Fuck the handbrake method, unless you're planning on leaving your car parked on a hill and driving off at a later time. I remember my driving instructor saying something along the lines of "I'm supposed to tell you to use the handbrake, and that's how you should do it in the exam, but when you're driving for real, just use the brake pedal and clutch", and he was absolutely right. And once you've got the basic idea down, there's pretty much no way to fuck it up, the absolute worst you can do is stall your engine, but even then you're still holding the brakes, so you won't be going backwards. Just remember to keep on the brakes until you're certain that you've got the car held with the clutch, and don't drop the clutch immediately either, but rather let it out slowly as you're pushing down the gas pedal.

>You'll roll down a little before taking off, but you don't have to use the retarded handbrake.
Yeah, or he could do it right and not roll down at all. You know, like someone who knows what the fuck he's doing.

It's obvious you don't live or commute in an area that's got any hills/inclines. Nor do you drive during rush hour, since I'm guessing you don't really have a job to get to, or it's the graveyard shift at your local burger place. Because otherwise you'd know that having to wank your handbrake up and down dozens of times each day isn't exactly the epitome of convenience, and that you're not impressing anyone with your mad hillstart skillz.

Literally every single one of your assumptions about me is wrong.

>It's obvious you don't live or commute in an area that's got any hills/inclines.

I live in Huntsville, Texas right now. This area is nothing but a long series of hills as for miles.

>Nor do you drive during rush hour, since I'm guessing you don't really have a job to get to

I've suffered through rush hour traffic quite for years for various jobs in a manual, from Houston to DC. It's not hard, it just sucks.

Stop shitting up Veeky Forums with your strawmen arguments and go learn to drive, faggot.

handbrake is gud for when the car is gonna stay stationary without anyone inside, and even then, if the climb is too steep, you may end up stretching the cable.

Honestly, seems like the only way for you to do this would be to press the clutch with your left foot and with your right foot's toes hit the brakes, while pressing the gas with the heel, so you have some engine momentum when letting of the clutch, without having to roll back because you're pressing the brake

I learned to drive while you were still swimming in your daddy's nutsack, fuckboy, which is how I know that the handbrake method is indeed shit.

Nice argument you got there

Were you still driving like shit back then too, old man?

I don't know, your mother certainly seemed to enjoy the ride I gave her.

>gets called out for having retard driving habits

>"Y-YOUR M-MOM"

>can't take the banter
>can't provide an actual comeback
>le funny meme post
Nice going man, rekt me alright. Now go fantasize about how you're gonna be jerking off that handbrake tomorrow. Or just take mom's automatic like a good boy.

>aggressively shitposting objectively wrong opinions on proper driving
>backs up arguments with alleged age
>calls it bants

Whatever you say, old man. I'll say a prayer for your car tonight before bed, if I remember.

>Stop
>apply handbrake
>rev to 1.5-2k
>start to release clutch to friction point
>once clutch is on friction point, release handbrake
>slowly release clutch, add throttle as needed

Literally as simple as that. Practice and learn your clutch.

>being afraid of driving

There's your problem.