Bruner Collection: Veeky Forums Edition

Would anyone here be interested in seeing some specimens from an old curiosity collector's collection?

Other urls found in this thread:

desuarchive.org/an/search/subject/Old Naturalist/type/op/
desuarchive.org/an/search/subject/Bruner/type/op/
veekyforums.com/thread/1723188/history/bruner-collection-veeky-forums-edition.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Mummy wrapping, plaster over linen. The yellow object in the middle is a crown, not clear why there's no head for it to rest on.

Back. This person wasn't the wealthiest, but he wasn't the poorest either. They at least had a little plaster to back the wrapping as well.

This one has two kneeling figures, one on the left rendered in pink w/ a black background, their arms held straight out, and another on to the right of the red square, rendered in white with a black background and their arms angled downward.

This one is a bit sturdier than , with a much thicker plaster base. Not sure what these markings represent, I suppose the mummifier may have botched his first attempt and started over, or maybe the deceased just had a weird order.

This wrapping consists of painted plaster over linen over a base of bitumen (native petroleum). This, along with the fact that the deceased was able to hire a scribe in addition to an artist to decorate their wrappings suggests that they were relatively wealthy.

This one is probably the sturdiest of them all, no fear of breakage during handling on this one.

Time was not kind to this one, but you can still see that there was a figure painted here at one point. It's not clear why the mummifiers laid down a coat of such brilliantly colored paint and then covered it with a duller shade.

Nothing much to say about the other side, but it's a sturdy wrapping.

Pigments for the paint include:

Azurite-Blue: Cu3(CO3)2(OH)2
Malachite-Green: Cu2CO3(OH)2
Hematite, in the form of red ocher-Red: Fe2O3
Limonite, in the form of yellow ocher: FeO(OH)·nH2O
Charcoal-Black

Keep posting, man. This is awesome!

Why is there no mummy brown pigment?

Soapstone scarabs. Holes along their length indicate that they were originally necklace beads. The vertical strokes may be feathers, but these things were manufactured on as close to an industrial scale as was possible before the industrial revolution, so the handwriting is a little sloppy

My note sheet indicates that there's a symbol for the god Amun mixed in with these somewhere, but I sure as hell can't pick it out.

The "crown" could also be a feather?

Sure. It's better than /pol/acking and Cuckligion threads.

>Dell laptop
>that mouse
C'mon OP. Do you have any other bits and bobs or is it all Egyptian related? Awesome thread regardless.

Eyes of Horus, made of faience. I don't know how you tell these from Eyes of Ra, but I kind of just have to trust the experts.

It's on back order

Could be

Your enthusiasm is appreciated. I'm actually about to run out of Egyptian shit and move on to First Nation stone tools. The vast majority of the collection is either geological or paleontological specimens. If you'd like to see those you can check the archived threads from /an/ here

desuarchive.org/an/search/subject/Old Naturalist/type/op/

and here (after I changed the name)

desuarchive.org/an/search/subject/Bruner/type/op/

Also, come on with the mouse, it was only $14 and it has all the features I want.

Symbols include the ankh, Ma'at in the seated postion w/ ankh, "horizon", a commond feature on scaraboids, and feather+basket, which means "lord" of something.

>Also, come on with the mouse, it was only $14 and it has all the features I want.
Not an argument.

>desuarchive.org/an/search/subject/Old Naturalist/type/op/
>desuarchive.org/an/search/subject/Bruner/type/op/

How did you come across this marvel? Inheritance or work or something?

These scaraboids are smaller and of lower quality materials, with sloppier writing. Symbols are consistent with the others but also include some illegible writing which may be people's names.

I work for the earth science department. The real curator recently retired, so when the late Mr. Bruner's daughter in law elected to donate his collection to us I got saddled with making a photolog of it because I'm not doing anything else particularly useful around here.

Necklace pendant.

All of these items are from Thebes. The original collector dated them to 1500 BC but I have it on good authority that they're actually from the Roman period, substantially later.

Axe head. Williamson Co Illinois.

"Greenstone hatchet"

What do they taste like?

Ceremonial slip-on point.

Followed you here from /an/. Thanks OP!

Hand drill.

Soapstone.

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

thanks op this is geat

Spear point

Dog-headed guy, beetle, ankh, wavy line, wavy line, bird, dog-headed guy.

Arrowhead made from banded stone.

Arrowhead from Platte Co, MO

Which picture are you referring to?

"Slipon" point, designed to pull away from shaft, and smaller bird point. Both from Doonville Arkansas.

I'm calling it a day for now, more tommorow.

you made me google Bruner collection, but left me clueless is it like a "wunderkammer"

Eh these aren't bad, but why should I invest in a flint arrowhead when I already own several guns?

Neat thread

Guy was an eccentric, he and his wife collected rocks, bugs and whatever curiosities they could get their hands on. The collection spans a good chunk of the last century. OP is tasked with classyfing the whole thing and is showing us the process.
T./an/

I'm really interested in what else is in there, keep going OP

Axe head, this one with a much more pronounced notch that also extend to the underside.

Lower density rock than greenstone. It's bigger than but it's got about the same heft.
What he said

Corner notched (I think, just looking at a diagram here) arrowhead, Oklahoma.

Straight stemmed arrowhead.

Contracting stem arrowhead

Not sure what this is.

Not sure what you'd use this for. If it wasn't in a drawer dedicated solely to stone tools I wouldn't even have recognized it as a man-made object.

Bruner's description: 2 agate "chips" found at a very old former Indian campsite in Upper Cathedral Valley, E. of Freemont, in Wayne Co Utah-These Indians ceased to inhabit this area more than 600 years ago. They were the ancestors of the Utes and Piutes. These chips were remnants left from making arrowheads.

Bruner's Note: From Fred Morgan-a "blunt" used by Indians to "stun" a bird or small animal-In case the Indian wished to keep the animal alive for awhile (could be: w.o. ice, meat would spoil. Animal could be kept alive until ready to eat it.

Fleshing knife from the Eskimo of Barrow, Alaska.

Very ergonomic

Little recess in the bottom for your fingers

those are legs, are they not ?

Ceremonial barbed point.

Now that you point them out, yeah I guess they are.

Banded agate side-notched arrowheads w/ convex, straight, and concave bases.

This sounds like a great job. Can you hire me as an assistant?

If I'm not mistaken this little fellow may be made from opal. From certain angles I can see faint flashes of opalescence.

Alas, I'm about as low on the totem pole as it gets, I'm lucky they let me get coffee from the front office without putting a quarter in the jar.

So how extensive are the notes that you have?

Baby's rattle from "Nicaraguan Indians", not sure which group of natives he was referring to.

Varies wildly from specimen to specimen. Some mineral samples are marked with everything you could want to know: formula, crystal system, crystal habit, and locale of origin from which state it was mined in all the way down to how deep in the mine it was found. Other items, despite being fantastic examples of whatever the hell they are, have no labels at all.

Shouldn't you be photographing these on a plain backdrop instead of in your hand?

This little nothingburger here is definitely opal.

For the official photolog I turn in for faculty use I put them on a plain white base with a metric ruler for scale. For the purposes of just showing people neat stuff I find that holding it in your hand provides a more intuitive sense of size.

How the hell did they even carve this?

can we have more items like
and
pls artifactbro

Very carefully.

what's the update on review brah is he still going through his schizo breakdown?

Good thread

he's pretty alright now, everyone's taken a hit from eggy cracking tho, rip my boy eggman

what happened to eggy? I think I remember something about him transitioning to a woman

(Sorry I only follow these YouTube personalities through Veeky Forums posts)

I'm afraid the stone tools outnumber the other items pretty significantly. Here's a fan-type thing that may be from Nicaragua also. It was in the same drawer as the rattle.

and some heirloom variety of corn

And some kind of crow statue made from an animal's horn. Could be some sort of idol or something, or it could be some folk art he picked up at a flea market.

Put it in the microwave.

Assorted points, all from Doonville Arkansas. Does anyone know anything about that place? Google turns up alot of results for Booneville and Danville, but all I've gotten for Doonville is this weird archive of this same thread we're in right now

veekyforums.com/thread/1723188/history/bruner-collection-veeky-forums-edition.html

Alot of the places he visited to collect specimens are ghost towns now (Treece Kansas, Tiger Arizona, Stauffer Oregon) so its possible it's another place that's been abandoned, but all those other places at least have some record available.

Snazzy little barbed arrowhead

Whats the legality of owning items like this?

Legal. Why wouldn't it be?

Depression-era tax tokens. You got these as change on very small purchases so that you didn't get overcharged by having to round up to pay the sales tax. 1 "Mill"=1/10 of a cent.

Metal ones from Oklahoma.

Chicago-area phone token circa 1914. The little cutout is apparently part of some kind of mechanism to keep people from using slugs on the phone.

Turning in for the day, I'm hungry.

I mean, generally im pretty sure its illegal to sell antiquities, and ive had professors who have talked about it being illegal to keep them.
But that might be because they were working from a site.

This guy was collecting as early as 1906, during the days when mummy wrappings were used to fuel trains. I gather that back then individuals could just dig these up en masse and sell them to sate their colonial masters' hunger for exotic trinkets.

Thanks for sharing OP