Miata General /mg/

Summer edition

>talk about miatas
>talk shit about everyone else's miata
>talk about dick

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B002654I46/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i2?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pd_rd_i=B002654I46&pd_rd_r=GA7SRCEWKH7BKR6F9EF1&pd_rd_w=G0h1R&pd_rd_wg=kfbKj&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=01WJN1S5B1AVEXXMZRX9&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=781f4767-b4d4-466b-8c26-2639359664eb&pf_rd_i=desktop
cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/6154105148.html
jenvey.co.uk/products2/throttle-body-kits/mazda-mx5-1-8-nb-tb45-throttle-body-kit-ckmz01
newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/6179552355.html
columbus.craigslist.org/cto/6157153468.html
desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/6179919884.html
austin.craigslist.org/cto/6140856433.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Picked this up a few weeks ago for 5k. Definitely overpaid but I really wanted it. No regrets... so far.

My NB has these plastic trim things around the headlights because it's "special" and the paint is fading on them

Can you just peel them off and respray them or do you have to bake the whole light?

miatas are floppy as fuck

Decided after having my miata for nine years that im gonna slap a trubo on it. I've started looking into all the support mods I'm gonna need and im specing stuff out. There's so much info to absorb its crazy.

Planning to have my cooling system and clutch done by the end of that summer. Then I'm looking at megasquirt.

Cozy village miata

Got laid off kind of unexpectedly Friday so most of my plans are going to have to be put on hold. Now that I have the free time I'd like to try out some paint correction though. Mostly just removing swirls and a little oxidation. Anyone have any tips for single stage? I was thinking of picking this up to try amazon.com/gp/product/B002654I46/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i2?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pd_rd_i=B002654I46&pd_rd_r=GA7SRCEWKH7BKR6F9EF1&pd_rd_w=G0h1R&pd_rd_wg=kfbKj&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=01WJN1S5B1AVEXXMZRX9&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=781f4767-b4d4-466b-8c26-2639359664eb&pf_rd_i=desktop

>i've never driven one: the post

How many miles? Did guy you bought off have plenty of service records?

130k miles. I'm the 4th owner and the previous was an old guy who barely drove it but had a lot of preventative maintenance done to it:
- new cooling components
- new alternator
- belts
- shifter rebuild
- all fluids
- tires

The first owner put 100k miles on it but it seems like they did alright maintenance as well because it runs pretty well as far as I can tell.

I was skeptical of the miles but its the top trim with the 6 speed and torsen diff so I couldn't resist.

Nice car user, I like the color alot. Should give it a nice wax with a polish and sealant after

Ive had a turbo honda for years and have boosted multiple cars with friends that came NA from te factory. Any questions you have, lay it on me.

Thanks m8. I'm starting a new job soon so once I get paychecks again I'll get her some tlc and probably a once over/tune up before starting a few tasteful mawds.

>see NC driving by
>wave with headlights
>inside is an older woman
>she waves back with hand

I paid 6k for a top trim NB with the 6 speed and torsen diff (and also the 16" enkeis and nardi wheel). With 40k miles.

Should have paid a few hundred more, but there was curb rash on one of the wheels and the tires were bald.

Still sorry about how much you paid

>good friend in the market for his first car
>comes to the only car guy he knows
>me
>show him a couple different cars that would fit the bill nicely
>he doesn't like any of them
>call my buddy who dailys a Miata to come take him for a spin
>he's sold on it when they get back
>a week later
>tell him I got some leads on some reasonably priced Miatas
>"Uh yeah nah user, my mom tells me Miatas are chick cars."
>
>"Yeah I'm going to take out a loan and buy a new Jeep."

I wish I was making this shit up.

seems like your typical normie dude.

feels insecure about his masculinity esp when his mom made that comment.

no offense but your friend is a pussy ass nigga.

Great link retard. Between that and your plates no wonder you were fired.

Get the Griots one instead though.

Considering its condition I paid pretty close to bb value whereas you got a steal.

I like my car and everything but having popups would make me so happy.

What lip is that?

Looks like an EXT Force front lip.

Or maybe Chargespeed.

Bought new brake caliper and handbrake doesn't work. Got told that the mechanism is broken but I want to double check it.
Is it possible to test handbrake lever without brake fluid and without having to install it?

Please help!

just bought an na6 with 140k miles. what should i do to it first?

Same guy again.
It's a NA. The adjustment screw works, the piston moves, but when i move the handbrake lever the piston doesn't move. Does it mean that the caliper is broken or that something is missing?

Please respond

did you reattach the handbrake cable to the caliper? does it move when the handbrake is pulled?

Just about finished my diy tarbo install.
It's 100% ghetto and shit as fuck.
I love it.

literally pulling the lever. will try to remove the spring and see what's going on when i find a way not to kill myself doing it

I've driven one and it was floppy
it's no secret the chassis isn't strong or stiff

mmm god i missed this general
do i need a megasquirt to turbo? ive been thinking about picking up a china turbo

Why would you need/want one without the other?

Shit I read that as "or". You need to go to miataturbo.net and just read my guy.

No. There are other options.
But MS or me221/fe221 are probably the best options.

mostly was just curious, my friend has been doing a turbo build himself with a megasquirt and its still not running yet so it kinda spooked me

>miataturbo.net
That site is garbage.

Show me where the website touched you.

I mean, they aren't friendly to people that ask the same bullshit questions, but there's no question it's the best resource for Miata turbo info and build resources.

They don't though. No more than anyone else in the MS community.
It's always the same guys replying to every thread waving their dick about and pointing to their post count.

So my NA's alternator belt decided to annihilate itself a few days ago and I can't help but wonder just how fucking violently explosive it was when this thing ripped apart. It literally made a "bang" under the hood and somehow tore apart the very fibers inside the belt. Pic related

Would this be an okay miata to buy? I've only had one car before.
cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/6154105148.html
I'd only plan on having it for 2-3 years, I just want something to learn to wrench on and maybe take to the track. It seems to me a good car aside from the rust, I don't know if that would be too much of a problem.

No, it looks like shit and the rust is bad. God knows what's under those seat covers.

For a little more you could get one in a lot better shape.

Also just to follow up, the general rule is if it has been posted on CL for more than a day or two, it's not a good deal.

>rust
disgusting

Those pics are from a year ago too, so it probably looks like even more of a piece of shit now.

fuck, well there's not much else where I live. but I'll keep looking I guess.

Convince me not to buy this.

jenvey.co.uk/products2/throttle-body-kits/mazda-mx5-1-8-nb-tb45-throttle-body-kit-ckmz01

Don't buy that, retard.

That rear wheel doesn't sit square in the arch which is a huge red flag, along with the missing headlight.
The rust isn't too bad, if you're prepared to and able to fix it yourself.
But don't buy it, the rear axle might be fucked and those tie rods also look ghetto as fuck.

Not very convincing.

Bike carbs would be cheaper.
If you're going for aftermarket fuel injection you should just go turbo.
I hope you have a better reason than "b..b..but everyone else has turbo.. waaaaaa".

Why not both?

i just uncovered this today. how bad is it and how fucked am i?

burn it

fug, the miata i was looking at last night on CL is gone.
1999 with 99k miles for $4k

To make sure that you damage your paint the least amount, you should degrease your car to remove all the waxes and shit, then clay bar it until it feels smooth. Then use a mild cutting compound with an orbital buffer and wax right after with whatever brand you want and a fresh cotton pad.

if someone is close by and wants a cheap/running fixer upper miata this is the perfect candidate

newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/6179552355.html

or just a parts car.

>has rust
>fixer upper

>first person to come with $1200 takes it home no less
>listed for $900
oho

how do you tighten down the 90-91 antenna?

Hopefully I just have to replace the rear shelf paneling so I'll be looking around for that...

Until I check under the floor carpeting and find the giant fucking rust hole... Wish me luck, /mg/...

hey guys can i play?

>desperately want a NA miata
>have enough money to pay a reasonable price for one with under 100k miles
>contacted FIVE different sellers in the past couple weeks, three of them the same day they put the posting up, and every single one gets bought by some retard with a pocket full of cash who just happened by before I could get to them
>latest guy I contacted 3 hours after he posted it on CL
>told him I could be there in two hours, literally as soon as he was able to see me. or the next day. or the day after that. or any time over the weekend.
>he said the soonest he could show the car was monday
>we planned for me to meet him after he was done work on monday
>get hype all weekend, arrange a ride so I can drive it home if I like it
>guy texts me 8pm sunday night and says he just sold it

WHOSE DICK DO I HAVE TO SUCK TO BUY A FUCKING MIATA?

Oh and this one is $1500 less than all the others but doesn't come with a title and just FUCKING LOOK AT IT

I'd probably spend that 1500 just returning it to a not-shat-on state.

it's permanently fucked. he rolled the fenders

where do you live?

is there any fix that is particularly expensive with the miata? like does it need special pads or some other shit?

not really, there are so many parts for these things. anything on a NB can be put on an NA and I think the other way around too. If you can't find an aftermarket part you're looking for (which is really hard) there is always the salvage yards which are full of miatas

>look it up
>front fenders are ~100 each
>rear quarters are ~400 each
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
And I just read the rest of the posting (I previously ignored it because stance) and this car is worth $800 tops for the work I'd have to put into it.

upstate NY

nice, thanks. i feel like buying one more and more everyday

thoughts?
>columbus.craigslist.org/cto/6157153468.html

waaay too much for a #SLAMMED #STANCED #JDM na6

>yellow headlights
>those nigger wheels
>fart can exhaust
He doesn't even have a turbo

I would offer $3500 ONLY because it has a hardtop.

tell him to keep his wheels and you'll bring steelies with shit tires. yellow on the headlights is a negative imo

offer him 4k tops if it's immaculate condition. other wise tell him 3.5k and to frig off and eat a dick

thanks for the help fellas

All NA miatas have power steering, right?

correct me if i'm wrong but i think only the 1.8s have power steering and before it was just an option

These on a Montego Blue NA?
15x8.5 ET 28

PS was an option.

Thoughts on this?
desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/6179919884.html

>Go to work
>Work
>Leaving, notice relatively large puddle of oil coming from the bay
>Fuck fuck fuck I JUST replaced the crankshaft last month what the fuck is it now
>Just the front left shock blown

Thank christ. Now I can upgrade from stock and justify it.

it needs nothing special, most of the major components are shared with econobox Mazdas, and of course the NA and NB make for 26 years worth of production so there are parts everywhere. You can get most wear items like pads, rotors, clutches and gaskets from local auto parts stores. If you want to make your Miata exceptionally fast or reliable, it's very easy shopping online too. They also come apart very easily with a handful of metric sockets and resources are all over the Internet to help you do nearly anything you want.

The hardest thing to get is probably a hard top, since there are less of them than there are Miatas.

>now I can upgrade from stock and justify it

this is exactly how I felt when the OEM radiator popped

gonna be the owner of this 91 in 2 days
200k miles and beat interior but everything works
$600, this is good for a first car, right?

oh and hardtop not included sadly

It's what I've been doing when something breaks, generally it's the same cost for me to upgrade than replace.
>Crank nose gets bent
>Replace all bottom end bearings with ACL, all main seals fresh, run out of money
Waaah. Shitload more new tools, though.
Got rid of a rattle, too.
My main thermo fan is on the way out, too...

You can barely shop for a weeks groceries and change with $600 in NZ. Fuck you lol.

teehee
im looking forward to putting some tlc into it

I originally made my own thread to brag about my deal but never posted to miata general so here's my story:
I bought a '91 miata off this rich old guy who was dying of leukemia and wanted to give the car to someone who would drive it. It was listed for 1500 but due to travel expenses he dropped it to 900. the guy was super nice and it only has 83000 miles.
Though I went against Veeky Forums's advice and stickerbombed the dash. I know it's boyracer as fuck but My friend Paige and I bond over it so I'm pretty happy. Got my akina speedstars slap today.

>stickers and shit

What a fucking faggot.

still jealous

forgot to mention, it's not without problems. It got hit by a 4-wheeler so the trunk's a little off. but not dented. and it got swiped at some point. The guy put too much bondo where the initial impact was so I was thinking of replacing the whole door, and the power windows are off-track, but those are easy fixes for a 900 dollar fucking miata.

yea i know. I'm garbage, and I even had doubts but to quote the owner,"It's a miata. It's dorky so no one fully cares what you do to it." The only thing the guy told me not to do was put a bodykit on it which i didn't plan to in the first place. Also I actually am gay so that's a double whammy for the miata stereotypes.

Those are sexy I wanna rub my hands all over them

austin.craigslist.org/cto/6140856433.html

found a weird miata ad today.

what is this rear tail light kit called and where can i buy one?

Garage vary nostalgic something or rather. They're like $1k or something.

>Garage vary nostalgic
perfect, thank you so much man!

>Garage vary nostalgic
Best of luck. I've not bothered to follow up on them, but I'm sure someone has made a far cheaper cast of them.

What radiator and reroute did you go with? Im about to start down the turbo adventure

Had the same exact problem when I went to go buy mine. I was looking at a beautiful m edition for 3k and asked if he could hold off until tomorrow so I could go to the bank. He said yeah no one else was interested. On my way up to the bank to withdraw the money he sold it.

You either have to have the money in advance so you could jump on a great deal, or be willing to settle to overpay a bit for one

>Buy miata with low miles
>Tranmission rattles
>shifter shakes as the car goes over bumps

Lol wat