User, why would you want a manual transmission? It's clunky and slower to do it on your own...

user, why would you want a manual transmission? It's clunky and slower to do it on your own, plus it's a distraction while driving. Letting the transmission shift for you lets you focus more on the road and helps you stay safe.

As a manualfag, I agree. My next car will be automatic no matter what Veeky Forums says. Just fucking tired of shifting for the past 10 years.

>buy 74 Coupe Deville
>want to DD it but the manual in it sucks
>replace with jerico clutchless because I don't want it to have an auto yet
>mfw

1/10 bait but any competant driver can shift faster than a non DSG automatic on anything other than a flat straight line.

obviously the dual clutch nanosecond shift time pre-selected gear fuckery is quick but you're still relying on the computer to select the correct gear.

that's a very specific set of goalposts, user.

I can shift a manual faster than a torque converter can decide what gear it wants to be in just because we're on a slight incline.

that might be a better way to word it. Every auto i've driven old and new interprets a slight increase in throttle on a hill to "GAS GAS GAS.mp3" and drops down to 2nd.

>why would you want a manual transmission?
because more cowbell

This

Had a new auto rental Challenger, it was fucking torture driving it while I fixed my car.

Plus, whats the point of having 8 gears if it never wanted to use 7th or 8th? It was more than happy to stay in like 3rd or 4th with the tiniest amount of throttle

The alternative is worse.

I had to drive a Suzuki Swift for a few days recently. It rushed to top gear as fast as it could (4th by 35mph) and once it was there it would not downshift under any circumstance short of hitting the kickdown switch or coming to a stop.

When you did floor it to hit the kickdown switch? Yeah it would wait a second or two to see if you were sure first.

>it's a distraction while driving
Why would you want to chew gum and walk at the same time?

You are literally the most autistic person on Veeky Forums

But you should downshift for climbing up hills f.a.m.

I know this is a meme but
>more distrating
Come one now, every auto onwer is most likely more disteacted with that other hand. Whether its texting while stuffing their fat face or jacking off.. Theyve got a free hand and they are going to be using it.

It depends on the car weather a manual is appropriate or not. Some vehicles have to be manual, Some can be fun either manual or auto and some vehicles you really wouldn't ever want a manual. Don't think your better than automatic drivers because your 1.2l shitbox is manual.

It's just so much easier to work with. My '61 f100's 3-speed transmission is just forty pounds and about as long as my arm. It doesn't get much easier than that.

lol I do that shit while driving manual.

>Plus, whats the point of having 8 gears if it never wanted to use 7th or 8th? It was more than happy to stay in like 3rd or 4th with the tiniest amount of throttle
It was probably skipping gears if anything
>1>3>4>5>8

This. It's piss easy and anyone who thinks manual is distracting is most likely borderline retarded

>Letting the transmission shift for you lets you focus more on the road and helps you stay safe.
This is tasty bait

Using a manual transmission forces me to pay attention to the road and what's going on around me and ahead of me if I want to keep driving smoothly. Automatic transmission allows lazy people to just zone out and not pay attention to road conditions beyond the end of their headlights.

>70s Cadillac
>manual

Not always
If you can go up in 4th without lugging the engine, why drop a cog?

You mean you don't steer and shift with one hand while holding a drink in the other?

>oh shit the moment I stop focusing on the road for one tenth of a second to shift gears I swerved 4 lanes over and died
>better make manuals illegal

>>oh shit the moment I stop focusing on the road for one tenth of a second to shift gears I swerved 4 lanes over and died
You only gotta look at the lever when you're first learning how to drive. After a couple days you'll always know what gear you're in and never take eyes off

Why don't they make button operated transmissions anymore? Shit was so comfy.

I have another retarded question. Would a manual transmission with a "straight shift pattern" be feasible? Basically an Automatic, but you have to press the clutch and you pull down from 1 to 2, 3, etc, instead of going all over the place. I suppose manuals work the way they do because they're a direct link between the driver and transmission.

It's called a "sequential gearbox" and often doesn't require a clutch other than for starting. But it offers few ergonomic advantages for regular driving.

>user, why would you want a fast car? It's unconfortable, worst on gas, plus it's dangerous driving fast. Getting a slow car lets you focus more on the road and on the scenary, also helps you stay safe and saves you lots of money.
why are you even on this board if you dont enjoy what we stand for?

The JDM MR-S that Fat Marrah just tested had that. Smart cars use a sequential and automated clutch too.

Because it puts more stress on the engine numbnuts

I'm going to use my male sexual reproductive organ to vigorously fuck u in the bumhole

The only reason is it's more fun.

>He doesn't knee shift while palm steering and texting.

I'm going to fall for the manual meme solely on the fact its more fun and you can't stop me
t. SoCal

currently falling for it
t. norcal

>I can shift faster
How does this effect how your vehicle performs on a public street? You are an adult, right?

>How does this effect how your vehicle performs on a public street?
my sides

its fun

t. poorfag who has never driven a nice modern auto

I ride a motorcycle, I'm not looking for safe, and manuals with a quick shifter are the fastest transmissions in motorcycling. The only bikes with autos are NC700 sorts of things. On the other hand, my Ford Escape has an auto for when don't give a shit and just need to get around or trailering bikes on a road trip or something. Different things for different purposes. If I'm doing to be driving for 4 hours to some track on the highway I don't really care about having a manual, but if I'm doing a fun ride in the mountains you bet your ass I want the extra engagement from driving a manual.

Assuming you're following the rules of the road there is no reason for you to be accelerating faster than automatic transmissions can allow for.

why would i want to drive a fisher-price piece of shit?

lost

A couple days? Shit, if you don't have that figured out in 10 minutes you're fucking retarded (unless it's some sort of dumbass shifter pattern like an OG mini)