QTDDTOT

I didn't see a QTDDTOT thread, so I figured I'd make one to ask this question from someone with more wheel swap experience:

I have some Virgo wheels (pic related, although it's just a Google image picture) from my Volvo 240 that I'm about to part ways with and I've always liked the look of them, so I figured I would put them on my 2000 Volvo V70 before getting rid of the 240.

Bolt pattern is the same, wheel size is the same, but offset is different. The Virgos are 20mm while my current wheels (I believe) are 40mm. Should I expect to run into any issues?

I'm going to swap them this weekend, but I wanna have a rough idea beforehand to know if I'm just wasting my time.

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/50473835
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Assuming you mean +20 and +40, the outer lip of the virgos will sit 20mm farther inboard. This might look funny. You might be able to make up for that with spacers and extended lugs.

Oh and you also might rub at steering lock if you don't use spacers, but that's not a huge deal, just don't turn the wheel all the way.

What qualifies as a classic car on Veeky Forums's classic car general threads?

Anything from before 1985 I'd say

Awesome, thank you. I'm going to put them on as a test and see if it does run at full lock.

One more quick question: the rotors on the V70 have a stud sticking out of them that goes into a little cavity on the inside of the current rims. I have read that some Virgos (but not all) have that cavity. If I happen to not have it, is it safe to cut off that stud? And what is it even there for really?

I pulled a pic off Google images and it's that little stud in the bottom left area of the rotor

So neither the power sunroof or the A/C system in my W124 work. Former is stuck in closed position and while latter should work it leaks out the refrigerant.

Which out of the two is easier/cheaper to fix?

Ironically the a/c system

semi poorfag student here.

Would a manual 5th gen Honda prelude make a good first car? I'm just looking for a fun daily, I can buy a project later.

A friend of mine is selling a well maintained one for around 1.5 - 2.5k. everything is in pretty good shape but the interior needs some work. it's nearing 200k miles. h22 motor.

>pic unrelated

While many car enthusiasts basically try to make their shitboxes race cars for the road driving an actual race car on normal roads is a terrible idea for various reasons like unbearably harsh ride, non-existent interior space that is hot as hell with no little to no airflow to cool it and driver and making 3-point turns to 5-, or 7-point turns.

Still sometimes I wonder about the idea of taking a race car and gradually turn it into street car? Obviously this would mean softening the suspension, raising the car just enough to being able to drive on backroads and to deal with potholes and speed bumps and adding some comfort related items and noise insulation to the cockpit. Has anyone actually tried making a race car into road car instead of doing the vice-versa? Is this idea even more retarded than making your daily driver into "race car" you can't really drive anywhere anymore?

my SUV was totaled two days ago, other driver is at fault, and i'm looking at getting at max $5000 for my paid-off-but-now-wrecked SUV.

the real issue is this...i have no idea what to get next. i really enjoy the boat feeling of SUVs, but i would like to be able to get a truck to put my motorcycle in the back of whenever i feel like traveling with both, but i also go on long drives all the time and a car would best serve me price-point wise due to the random travel.

is there any other direction i should go, or maybe even suggestions? i have absolutely no brand loyalty, and do almost all repairs on any machines i own. my budget is $20-25k.

I'm getting a high pitched electrical whine when engaging and when keeping the turn signal on. It occurs every few seconds and also more frequently when I'm turning and before the wheel disengages the turn signal.

unrelated but those are the best looking Volvo Rims after the godly Volvo R rims.

I dont think I've ever seen a v70 with virgos. Please post some pics once you get them on.

I think it's there to keep the tire in the same position it was in when it was removed for best alignment characteristics
it doesn't really have any effect that i can ascertain
just replace it with a normal bolt
for extraflush look for a hex bolt with minimal head
t. bought an 850 with 3 studs and 1 bolt, never replaced

get a volvo and a bike trailer

you could do much worse, and that's a decent price and mileage for a college car

>what are VINs?
>what do you mean i would get pulled over daily?

second, really want to see

So air suspension should be comfy as fuck, right?
How are they driving dynamics wise?

meh
also replacements will be expensive
get coilovers when (not if) they blow

can anyone check this VIN?

1FTEX1EM7EKF86114

never mind lmao. dealer said it was "sold."

What's the difference between a 2009 Corolla L and LE? Is it worth $300 extra to get the LE over the L?

Recently a lady doing a 3-point turn backed into my door and left a good dent
The police filed a report and I have her info and insurance.
How do I go about getting her or her insurance to pay? If I make a claim will my insurance go up? will I have to pay a deductible?
I'm in Texas if that matters

I got quoted for the repair today. Could I just call her and tell her the amount and see if she agrees to pay? Do I contact her insurance company?

When I first turn on my car it idles fine but no matter what I set the throttle position sensor to it idles to .5 rpm after like a minute in drive.

The biggest issue this causes is that the car car kinda sputters at like 50+. Like the engine is doing something. And the worst is that it can stall occasionally when stopped at a light.
The check engine light for the catalystic converter is on as well but a mechanic I know said it was probably an o2 sensor since there wasnt a smell coming for the back.
Ive been doing some research and was wondering if this could be a fuel pump problem. I was visiting family once and they said they smelled gas one time after I cut it on. Im not really sure whats going on.

What kind of race car?

Yeah you'll have to pay excess/deductible and your premiums will likely increase next year and she will have the same problem, so call her and offer the option of her paying for it rather than going through insurance. If she refuses or dicks about, just claim.

Generally if you have a bad O2 sensor, you'll have a check engine light on. But only if it's so bad that it's fucking up the air fuel ratio. If it's a little bad, you wouldn't have those sputtering or dying issues. Set up a fuel pressure rig and see if you're getting the right fuel pressure to your rails, maybe run a bottle of injector cleaner and clean your MAF off (if you have one)and clean the throttle and idle air control valve. Sounds like you have a fuel or air issue at high speeds/load. My guess is fuel related.

What's that $35 aux radio thing again? I haven't had any luck finding it.. I suck at google.

As far as I know, you should let your own insurance deal with hers. Tell them you want to file a claim and give them her insurance and information. Also provide them with any proof that you have, a video, pictures of her paint on your car etc. Your premiums wont go up if shes found to be at fault. Technically only self damage like you crashed your car, or scraped against a post will you have to pay your deductible depending on if its a comprehensive claim (500$ in my case, or 1000$ when i crashed into a wall). Some dude backed into my car and took off my rear bumper and I didn't pay a dime. Didn't have the car for a week, but the person who hit my car paid for my rental. Free new bumper, great paint match, can't complain. Life is great being the victim.

So what names does Alphonse go by? He has so many I lost count.

My '01 Neon's blinker sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, its random and seems to only change when its turned on or off, as in it'll continuously work or continuously not until its restarted wherein it might change. I've tried pulling the module and the contacts aren't corroded or anything, help?

My car is old and has corrosion and scratches on the paint. I don't have 500+ to get it repainted, thats like 1/3 the worth of the car. Is there any way to spray paint it without it looking like a niggermobile?

Is lugging gears bad?

thanks i think ill go to my insurance

i'm filling out an application to be a cop in michigan and i have a chauffeurs license and there's no option for that where it says "class". is it a class A? or is that CDL? what class license do i have?

yeah, don't lug it. It's ok to try to ease on the gas to bring it up to speed is say roughly below 2000 rpms, but if you WOT it at lower gears, you're dumping too much air and fuel into the cylinder and it's trying to go down, but it can't so it just rattles in its cylinder as it tries to go sideways. It puts a huge amount of strain on your engine. So easy does it with the throttle at low RPMs, once your fast enough, go WOT. Ever notice how race car drivers ease up to speed, they don't just floor it off the line?

The black hard plastic on my interior got scratched and i don't even know how it happened (it's on the passenger side)
What's the best way to get rid of those or at least make them less apparent?

My 2010 civic shift stick is feeling rough. Normally it just clicked into gear. It was very direct and smooth. Now I feel I have to go through a bag of rocks when I shift.

Is it the gear oil? It only has 32K miles.

I'm having a problem with my brakes [I think] that I'd love some help with, and I couldn't find a solid answer after quite a bit of googling. No one else's problems seem to exactly match mine.

Here are the symptoms:
>Creaking after applying parking brake on a hill
I'm pretty sure this is par for the course because if I really yank on the parking brake then the creaking doesn't happen, so I assume it's because the P-brake isn't tight enough. This may unrelated to the real issue, I'm not sure.
>The real issue: I hear creaking right when I'm at the apex of a stop or right after I start moving from a stop.
I've played around with stopping and starting a lot and I think the creaking happens in the small moment when my brakes are applied, but not enough to stop the standard car creep.
This stop/start creaking is especially prominent in the mornings and in cold weather. At the end of the day it's still there, but it's a lot softer sounding.

I recently replaced my rear brakes (pads and rotors) and my front brakes look to be in good condition, so I'm not sure if the issue is with my front brakes or parking brake.

This has been happening for roughly the last 10,000 miles, which, coincidentally, is about when the car started getting parked outside, and only driven a few times a week (college).

My not-so-expert analysis is that it has to do with:
>Front Brakes
>Parking Brake
>U-joint (someone said this could be it from my googling)
>Rust or something from being parked outside

Anyone think they know what it is? Any help is appreciated.

I'm guessing you don't mean a 3.5mm aux cable right? Because these aren't 35$. Do you perhaps mean the cassette player to aux cable?

im getting new stop tech brake rotors for my car and i was wondering if getting slotted up front and just regular smooth rotors in the back would effect performance?

Is the Dodge Stratus R/T coupe any good?

Reviews of Edmunds and Carsurvey seem to be relatively positive especially for the R/T.

If I were able to source all the parts for it, would I be able to install a push-button start on a 2011 Kia Forte sedan that originally came with a normal key ignition?

>early-mid 2000s dodge
>ever

RATTLECAN
E
V
I
V
A
L

>police jr. can't into license classes
top fucking kek copsnot

>parking brake is loose
ratchet the brake handle several times, this will tighten the star adjuster
>creaky brakes
it's just a layer of rust that forms on the rotors
along with your new pads that probs haven't broken in yet
>pads aren't grabby enough yet
>rotors are a little rusty
>result: pad slip

Hey guys, how do I start learning about cars?
Does anyone have any links/guides/books?
>tfw no dad growing up

>no dad to tell me not to be a summerfag
check the sticky, youtube, any repair manual ever, the library should have a limited amount of chiltons/hayes and ICE theory books to check out
>literally has the most useful information searching tool of all time at his fingertips
>asks some nigs on a uzbekistani mausoleum maintenance forum instead

what are the best mods I can do to a 3.0L inline 6? I want to keep it NA but get the best possible performance

Nah, the board for two 15W speakers that's just got one AUX input and a volume knob

Cold blow torque charger

How come there is no thread about repair guides? I need to dismantle the dashboard in my Ford Focus c-max from 2004 and other shit like changing air filters and a/c coolant(if it even has one). Also what should i know about OBD scan/diagnostic tool? Which ones aren't shit?
The problem is ever since i got LPG installed i have to slam my dashboard or engine bay mask to make car work again. Probably some cables are loose. So i want to tinker around it.

Any sedan can pull a little trailer with your bike on it.

0-100 / 0-60 GPS acceleration measuring app.
What do you use for iOS? I have neither OBD nor any extra device like Racelogic ones.

Do we ever have threads where we post about cars we want to buy/sell? Why not?

I'm in MD looking for a Datsun 240 or 280 roller, I want to get nasty and drop an sbc in it for rallies.

Just bought my first trucc
Want to get second hand tyres for it
seller claims these were new and only used for only 2 months

does that look like 2 months of use to you?

Goodyear Wranglers MS btw

yeah that looks like (1)2 months of use to me.

fuck that's crusty
northeast user?

Took car to shop for check engine light. Diagnosed as "the spark plugs eroded and ruined the throttle body, $1400 to fix" car is a 6 years old Mazda, is this a legit sounding scenario, or should we look for a second opinion?

i am hearing a creaking/clicking noise every time i turn my steering wheel. its not coming from the suspension but more like from the steering column. my car is a 09 honda accord. anybody know what i might be getting into?

i tried spraying some WD40 between the steering wheel and the part that holds it but the noise is still there. its only at low speeds that i hear it. not all the time but sometimes

on my car thats just a bolt.
it just unscrews. dont worry about it.

What's the reason for the hate I see towards cars like the BMW 3 series and the G35/G37? That range of moderately priced, sportier "luxury" cars from a few years back.
Is it just memes or are there actual problems with those kinds of cars?

Lol, that tread looks shallow. Its a truck tire not a low profile street tire. That tire looks like it has 15kmiles/one year of use AT LEAST.

t. Owned 2 trucks and has bought 15+ sets of tires.

Definitely get a second opinion, sounds fishy.

probably your clock spring.

do you have steering wheel controls, and if so are the functioning?

yes my steering wheel has buttons cruise control and radio control. they are working fine. would a clock spring be easy to change. i'v never done work on the steering column before.

How do you control understeer?
Specifically on a fwd

Oversteer into the understeer

start up the car and cycle the wheel back and fourth while stationary and see if you can isolate it from the steering column.

They're not difficult to replace if you're ok with removing the steering wheel airbag. Airbag comes out, unhook all of the connections, pull the steering wheel nut, remove the wheel.
the clock spring usually is screwed in to the column itself and has a body-side connector. basically install the new one and slap all that shit back together.

MOST IMPORTANT PART! mark your steering wheel in relation to your steering shaft (they're splined together) otherwise you can bolt it back together and now your wheel is crooked as shit

thanks user.

what the fuck do corroded spark plugs have to do with the throttle body , no god damn correlation...although your spark plugs most likely did corrode and that would trip the check engine light because the explosions wouldnt burn as clean and your ecu would fuck up the mixture ...spark plugs are very cheap and easy to replace thats probably why they racked up a bullshit excuse to get 1400$

Basically they are criticized for being a luxury sporty car but not being the most expensive or the sportiest

The turbo'd straight six engines in the 04-10 3 series had some problems here and there but all around they're great cars

Here's a riddle for you guys:

After dodging an old woman who nearly hit me, my back tire went up over a curb and made an awful scraping sound. Now, I hear a screeching sound coming from the area of that wheel (rear passenger side).
>it happens when driving forward steadily or accelerating at low speeds (under ~10mph), in any gear
>it does not happen when driving forward steadily or accelerating at higher speeds, in any gear
>it does not happen in reverse at any speed or acceleration

What do you think happened? I don't have a jackstand so I can't physically get under it.

I have always liked the looks of Nissan 300ZX and kinda wanted to get one for years but from what I have heard and read it seems to be Porsche 924 level moneypit which is something I don't want to deal with.

How is it's successor Nissan 350Z? Is it reliable and otherwise decent car or not?

Sounds like the axle has been damaged

So, just get a street legal one. vimeo.com/50473835

is this a good obd2?
alternatives for less than ~60?

are those wheel spray paints any good?

DelSol '95 (270k Km, 170k miles) vs Celica '03 (220k Km, 137k miles)
which one would you buy? both are in decentish condition the sol goes for 2k, the celica for 4k. I dont need it as a daily driver, only to get out of the city during weekends. Which is more "fun"? Which is less likely to fuck me over? Celica seems to have more utilty and generaly better, but the DelSol is kinda fun and costs the half... so even if it turns out that i made a bad choice it only 2k loss

elm327

I think the 7th gen celicas look terrible... so DelSol for me

Virgo's make my dick fucken diamonds man

i too like the astethics of the delsol better, but i dont think the 7th gen celicas look half bad, sure 6th gen bugeyes are cute. Im more interested in parts availability/reliability causeshit will get broken sooner or later... Like how much i will need to hunt for tie-rods, and other parts that wear and tear...

>give my car to a friend to try it out
>he pumps the gas pedal while maneuvering out of the parking spot

I have seen other people do it, but why? I just keep the gas steady and go on with my business.

years ago i recall hearing that particular rally car made something crazy like 800hp from a 2 litre.. Then they said that it needed a rebuild after 10 or 20 minutes of driving.

Can anyone tell me if they know which car/engine that was and if it is even true?

It should be the Lancia Stratos.

Any decent body kits for pic related? Want to change it up a little bit not much, maybe some new alloys too.

It was the Ford rs200, it could last 6 minutes at redline before grenading

Last time i got my car inspected it had issues with the left side brake being less "efficent". How would i even the braking power since it was barely above the legal limit? I'm not going to spend money on the repair since the car costs less than the repairs would. DIY methods are welcome.

Let's say I find an executive car that hasn't been touched in three decades.What are some things I should do in order to get the car running like brand new?

Veeky Forums what car is this?
>spotted in spain btw
Don't remember what brand or anything else just took the picture

Sorry about that

just put spinners on it

Let's say I have a tricycle from 30 years ago. What are some things I should do in order to get it running like a brand new car?

Why tho

Need a phone holder to somehow mount in the middle of the dashboard. I don't want it to block air vents nor be attached to the windscreen.
Any ideas if there is something that can be attached straight to the flat plastic?
Fiat Grande Punto 2006 if it matters.

No idea if your ignition lock has a proximity sensor to the key fob. If so, you'll end up having to put your ignition key into the keyhole as you press the start button.

>Need a phone holder to somehow mount in the middle of the dashboard.
Lots of holders have a flat plastic section that inserts into the CD player slot. Just remember not to hit your holder in a fit of temper and snap it off.