Aye, I'm thinking about buying a Nissan skyline in the near future...

Aye, I'm thinking about buying a Nissan skyline in the near future. My question is: is there a "huge" differnce between the GTS-T and the GTR? I know that the GTR as all wheel drive and some other nimble features. It's really hard to find a GTR in my price range that is in good enough condition. I have found a few stock GTS-Ts that are in my price range. Should I wait on a good deal for the GTR or go with the GTS-T?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8
japan-partner.com/Auto/27398/Nissan/SKYLINE/car-for-sale.html
pacificcoastjdm.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=8hxbNQsqGyI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

GTR
>bigger engine
>all wheel drive
>twin turbo
>better gearbox
>wider body and different bodykit
>different wheels

and probably more

Depends.

If you would also buy a 911 interchangeably just for the performance, get the GTR. The track performance will not let you down, since that's what you're looking for.

If you just want a skyline, get the GTS-t

Do you think it would be possible to make a GTS-T as fast a GTR with aftermarket products? Or would you be limited by the engine?

Wasn't there the Type M that was like the next best thing since the GT-R except it was RWD

There's an episode of best motoring where they make a 380hp GTS-T without an RB26DETT swap. So yes, if you get the parts. I believe the car was put together by AQUA.

Yeah the GTS-Ts that available in my area are both type Ms

I'm sure you'd eventually go as hard as a stock GTR, but they're not exactly mindblowing in todays numbers.

It's like tofu versus a proper japanese curry

Both are going to fill you up, and both come from glorious nippon, but one is cheap and rubbery and crap
And the other is a rich blend of tastes and textures

Also if you buy anything that isn't a GT-R people will assume you are a cheap boiracer

You should probably look at a few skyline dedicated forums before you make that choice. There are quite a few differences between the two. Don't overspend on the car itself and have no money to put into it, and if you buy a clean one please don't ruin it with choppy performance "enhancements".

Yeah if I do end up getting one, I have a friend who works at a performance racing place so he can help point me in the right direction.

Yes. They drive like two completely different cars.

Choosing between the two is kinda dependent on what you want to use the car for.
>having fun, skidding around sometimes, but mostly a daily
GTS-t
>weekend car, track oriented, going fast, or hardparking
GT-R

I wish I wasn't so attached to my R because I would fucking love another GTS-t

The GTD-T fits with what I would do.

GTS-T*

>GTS-T is a daily
Drift missile shitbox at Ebisu

>GT-R is a fast track car
Road plates and in a car park

Nigga I think you might have this backwards

I'm offering him my opinion from my experience in driving both of them.

I don't daily my GTR in the US, and that shitbox was exactly that, it was rusted out to hell and it was gutted with a welded diff and it was cheap. So of course I used it as a shitbox missile. If it was a clean car I would have daily drove it but I drove a C35 Laurel automatic boat as a daily, and took the GTR and FD out to drive hard on weekends up in the mountains.

Good job on the post, and making assumptions from literally one picture of each car though.

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Veeky Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

I know cars are cheaper in nippon but how the hell did you afford 3 cars on a military budget?

The GTR was $12500 USD (roughly)
The FD was $4500 USD
The Laurel was $750

I had no other expenses as housing and stuff was free, food was free (Dining Facility) and insurance on them over there was laughably cheap

With enough money, you can make any car faster than another car. The question is, is it worth it? Spending more for a better base platform is your best bet. As said, GT-R > GTS-T. Pic related, my old GT-R.

jeeez. I wish I could spend enough time over there to find my own gtr. I'm going for a week next year but I don't wanna spend it car shopping. I know I can get one for a good price if I go through auction but thats sketchy since you can't be there to look at it, do a compression test, etc. Probably gonna just buy one from Japstar Imports since its 45 min from me

>tfw no round taillights

Yes but,
The amount of money you are going to invest into a GTST would make its price roughly the same as a regular GTR

>tfw when I bought a 1991 GTR
>tfw I payed a little over 11.5k for the car
>gun metal gray
>it has sun damage on the hood and roof
>no rust
>110k miles
>runs like a charm

I cannot wait until it finally arrives.

The GTR is to the GTS what the 911 Turbo is to the 914.

Only poor try hards buy the GT-S, and then usually defend their poorness.

There are auction sites you can buy them from. It's all legit. It would take an afternoon to get a GT-R. They don't give a fuck about those cars anymore.

any proof?

just anything?

I'm sure its legit, but the idea behind wiring someone in Japan $10-15k is just something I don't wanna do. If i go through JapStars they'll at least be able to do most of the work and I'll be paying them in person. Probably gotta pay a little more but the peace of mind seems worth it

for about 1500-2000 dollars you can get that rb20 in the gtst to around 250whp. A GTR makes about 260-270whp stock and is a couple hundred pounds heavier. From a dig it wouldn't be as fast as a gtr because rwd vs awd but it would pull just as hard from a roll (or just invest in good, wide tires)

Things needed to cheaply make power on an GTSTs rb20

Rb20 front mount intercooler kit (200 bucks on ebay)
Rb25 s2 turbo (200 bucks)
3in down pipe, straight pipe exhaust custom fabbed (400 bucks at local exhaust shop)
K&N air filter (50 bucks)
Walbro 255lph fuel pump (150 bucks)
Greddy profec II boost controller (200 bucks)
Apexi SAFC (piggy back ecu) (300 bucks)
AFR gauge and sensor (150 bucks)
Dyno tune by a shop who knows what they are doing (300-500)

oh also 440cc GTR injectors or some random 550s (250)

Holy fuck these are looking really dated now.

Why does no one like the R33?

I do, user

Get in contact with HP logic in florida. They ask for 1k down before they start searching for a car, but their dude roberto literally goes over to japan himself and inspects these cars before they're brought back over to the states in many cases

Dyno tune by a shop that knows what they're doing is the hard part.

Most shops can tune a map pretty okay if your goal is to run it at a race track.

Most shops don't have the first fucking clue about how to tune for true street use. I've seen what these maps look like. They usually don't dial in fuel very precisely so the VE map looks like straight lines instead of smooth curves and they don't bother to tune shit like ignition timing on overrun/part throttle. As a result most tunes drive like utter dogshit on the street and will destroy catalytic converters quickly.

I do too.

some guy has a nice r33 gtst on here

If you want a GTR but buy a GTST, you'll always wish you bought the GTR.

scumberto

Until you hate sitting in the GTR seats daily.

GTST > GTR

With the $10-$12k you save on the initial purchase, you could spend all that money on say an rb25det neo and get that shit into the 500whp range.

>b-but muh awd
You can do the same thing with a gts4 and you will have a much better car than a standard gtr.

pic related is my gtst i got for only $4300 aud

link? cant find it anywhere

GTR seats are worlds better than GTSt seats

Lucky for me I have 2 good tune shops near me, one of them I know works on R32s

I sit in them every day, they feel great. Are you fat or do you have blown the fuck out seats?

>justifying being poor
Why can't you just admit you couldn't afford the GT-R?

youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8

Where the hell do you live? I can name 4 off the top of my head within 10 miles that do excellent street car tunes.

R32 was the original and was in Initial D so it gets points for that
R34 was in Fast and Furious so it gets points for that
R35 is the R35 so it gets points for that
R33 has nothing

r35 is good because what?

Because it wormed its way into the collective consciousness of car culture. Ask someone randomly what the fastest car they know is and they will say either the Veyron or the R35. Not to mention the constant memeing with the GTR and Corvette

It's my favorite personally.

I remember when I used to cream my pants when I saw an r35. Now when I see one I'm not even impressed since they're so damn common now. At least the R33 has that rarity factor

Exactly this. The R35 is like the entry level fast car. You learn about it and it's the best car ever made, nothing can beat it, you see one on the street and you flip your shit. Then you learn that it isn't really all that good, sure it's fast as fuck but is it really that good of a car? Not really.

>it rally isn't all that good
T.poorfag who has never owned one

Jesus, your cringe is hilarious.

What does it have going for it? It's speed that you can't even use on a lot of tracks? Get an R35 and drive it on the streets and it's a shit car. What use is that 3 second 0-60 if you never use it once in the whole time you own the car? What's important is how shitty of a car it is at low speeds

The literal autism of poor people. HAHAHAHAHAH. Holy shit. Literally nothing you typed is true.

>I don't have an argument so I'm going to call you autistic and poor

>you can't argue my insane opinions
Cool story bro. Stay dumb.

>literally no one drives the GT-R fast on the street or track!!!!
>is shit car cuz I said so!!!
>muhhh soulll!!!
>is shitty slow, for reasons!!!!
topkeke

I'm still not seeing an argument.

Skylines are slow for the money. They are fucking taxis in Japan.

Wow, lots of good arguments for each side. Thanks for all the info guys!

Is it for track use only? Second car? Daily driver?

I take it you've never been to japan? Like 90% of the taxis are Toyota Crown Comforts.

How lol
I'm not even that guy and you just seem like literally any other "fast cars have no purpose they're actually all just shit"

People do drive fast on the street
People do drive fast on tracks
I've ridden in a gtr on numerous occasions, it's comfortable as a passenger. The seats are nice as fuck and there's plenty of leg space. The trunk is huge.

The R33 was in the first fast and furious, it just didn't make a big appearance

Can anyone here explain why this is so fucking cheap? Would they even ship this to the US with the 25 year law bullshit? japan-partner.com/Auto/27398/Nissan/SKYLINE/car-for-sale.html

>why is it so cheap
It's a GT

It has an RB20 non turbo. It's a piece of shit that looks nice

>will they ship to the US
It can be done, but not legal for registering for road use

There's being poor and then there's being frugal. For many people, what you get with the gtr simply doesnt justify the price hike.

If you RB26 swap it and do a little bit of suspension and body work to make it look like a GTR it would sell in the US for like $50k. We all know how the skyline fanboys are.
Really though how hard would it be to make this "road legal". Can't you register them as kit cars or something

You can register it as a showcar but you're limited to a few thousand miles of travel a year, or something along those lines.

Why would anyone swap a 26 into it when the 25 NEO exists. Anyone looking to spend that much money wouldn't want a GT with a body kit and GTR badges anyway.

You can't import anything and register it as a show car. To be eligible for that exemption the car has to be a really limited run or have some sort of historical significance.

His trip is useful being one of the only know gtr owners on Veeky Forums

new fag

AM I NOT ALLOWED TO TRAVEL?!?

Only 2000 miles a year and only on limited models that are outlined in Law m8

Just wait until it turns 25.

It just looks like a riced out Honda Prelude or something. R32 has period early 90s styling, r34 has a distinctive aggressive look and is known by most people who played Gran Turismo or watched TFATF, r33 is just bland in my opinion.

>I couldn't afford a GT-R and instead of accepting it I'll just to convince everyone that mine is better.

No one will fault you for buying a GTS-T if you don't act retarded about it. When I was a broke-ass college student I couldn't afford an Integra Type-R so I bought an LS, but I didn't go around trying to convince people that my barely-above-base-model was better.

I live in LA. I've seen the actual maps before. You can't get a good tune in a day. It takes actual OEM engineers a good amount of the development lifecycle to get the stock ECU calibration.

Have you looked at the logs and the map you got or are you just pulling things out of your ass? The litmus test in my experience is whether the tune would pass FTP-75 emissions testing. That's the kind of quality I'm looking for and it is exceptionally rare to see a shop go to those lengths. The ones that do are usually registered importers.

The R35 until the 2017 MY drove like utter dogshit on the street because it was so fucking stiff. Everybody knows this.

No, you can't. It's just not legal until it's 25 years old. The laws are related to import, not registration. You cannot import a car without FMVSS compliance (crash testing + modifications to pass it) until it is 25 years old. The NHTSA will never revisit compliance for the R34 Skylines due to fraud by Motorex. End of story.

No, you can't. It needs to have under 500 made or they will reject your show and display import application immediately.

Did you read my post? I know im a poorfag for getting a gtst. Im not saying the gtst is inherantly better than the gtr. Im saying if youre smart youll avoid the gtr tax and spend that money and build a gtst/gts4 that will outperform the gtr.

I do the tuning. But there are tons of shops that do them. How do you think they tune them? Also, when turning up the power, you sacrifice emissions. DUHHHHH. If you are worrying about passing emissions, that's easy as fuck. We do it all the time. And comparing making small changes to buidling an ecu from scratch is just stupid. I don't honestly think you know what the tuners are doing on the dyno and street.

And most cars we tune are several day tunes. The day tunes are for basic mods. Once you've done 1000000 of them, it's pretty easy to get them done. We see the same mods and same cars all the time. You also use old tunes as a baseline then tweak for the specific car. You're just one of those people that looks for excuses.

Best skyline coming through

Speaking of which, why did nissan drop the "Skyline" brand name?

If you have to ask these questions you shouldn't own this type of car in my honest opinion, not trying to be disrespectful at all.

Have you considered a new WRX?

I know how they get tuned. I literally looked over their shoulder as they did it. Maybe some tuners are a lot better about how they map things but for racetrack only use only the WOT portions of the map were done properly to find MBT and knock limits.

If passing emissions is so trivial you should get in touch with Sean Morris over at IVI. I'm sure they would love to know because the current process involves remapping the ECU, new injectors, extra precats, and a whole bunch of time and money on FTP testing.

If your idea of a "good tune" is cranking the boost/timings and throwing 10:1 AFRs at the problem try not to talk too much shit.

It's a meme.

10 years ago it was the r32 nobody liked and now it's the r33.

I saw a clean one in the city and it's early 90's looks really stood out amongst all the 2005 + cars.

Kinda makes me feel old now that r32s look old.

It's a car doctors and lawyers have.

I much prefer the look of an r32 that looks like it sees the track at least on th odd occasion.

Cool, so you literally have no idea what you're talking about. Neat.

in your experiance, who is the best importer to deal with, or is it less of a giant pain in the balls to just do the whole thing myself, from the auction to going over and buying a few beater EVO's for autocross donors/sucker sales, and sourcing the shipping for them myself?

its something i wish i had money to get into honestly. buy old cars that wont pass sha-ken, and import them as SCCA project cars for customers. I know I would need like $100k to get started, but a man can dream.

>Motorex
I remember seeing that fat little tub oof shit in a issue of super street in 2002, BRAGGING about how he personally made it legal to import r34's. then the shitstorm happened.

>who is the best importer to deal with

pacificcoastjdm.com/

youtube.com/watch?v=8hxbNQsqGyI

hipster

go back to the discord, dorf

>>Motorex
Speaking of, a relic from my childhood kek

I'd love for you to prove me wrong. Everything I've seen so far suggests that most tuners are messing with things they don't really understand and as long as it makes power and doesn't blow up it's fine.

FUCK! I had the blue one.

Holy fuck Veeky Forums has gone to cancer.

Let's be real here. Veeky Forums deserves the shitposts it gets.

The R33 is too round. That's literally it, that's why nobody likes it. They are way too round.

But also because they aren't featured in movies/anime like the R32 and the R34 are.

>R32 GTS-T
>P plate

What state do you live in that allows this?

No they aren't. I've been to various cities all over Japan and have never seen a Skyline used as a taxi.

It's a 25GT, that means they aren't turbo, they just look nice. The only thing the 25GTs are faster than are the Toyobarus.

Rwd skylines are superior