Do you work on your own car? What's the most difficult thing you have done to it?

Do you work on your own car? What's the most difficult thing you have done to it?

honestly i dont change my oil but i have done a tranny flush.

i have done struts, stainless brake lines, and one wheel bearing, and front wishbone bushings.

nothing else broke

i have regeared diffs. this is the most shitty job on a car.
the oil smells terrible
you cant keep clean
pinion nut is on 500ft lbs
CRUSH SLEEVES
many shims
and the hard part, getting a good pattern by somehow trying to make the carrier not spin

Yep.

Hardest thing I had to deal with was a 4wd blazer suspension, we did ball joints, a control arm, and it had a torsion bar that was an absolute pain in the ass.

k-kinda
I have an 08 VW so please do not bully ok

Every job is my most difficult job because every single bolt is rusted in place and at least one will break, forcing me to replace parts I didn't otherwise need to replace.

How difficult is it to install a LSD in a healthy solid rear axle diff?

just dont re use bolts

much much easier than changing the ratio
if its an irs you can just unbolt the whole pumpkin and work on it on the bench

With few exceptions, always.

Timing belt & water pump sucked since the rad needed to come out. Dropping the trans for a new clutch also sucked.
90% of working on cars is "this will take 3 hours tops" and spending the whole day on it due to some bullshit bolt or part, and 10% "holy shit it works and doesn't leak fuck yea".

I usually end up buying new ones yeah. But I also end up buying new whatever the bolt was attached to, because part of it is still stuck in there and I don't have a drill press to accurately remove the stuck bit and re-tap the hole.

Most of the time you just don't want to use them because of the condition they're in. Learned my lesson before, always order the relevant hardware with new parts now.

i can tune any carb to perfection
what level am i?

The only things I pay for are alignments, tire mounting/balancing, and stuff requiring a press, everything else I do myself.

Honestly not sure what the hardest was, probably a transmission rebuild or engine swap. Doing the ball joints and wheel bearings was annoying too, bodywork + paint was by far the most time consuming though.

Level = Faggot

Learn to actually tune.

God I live living where shit never rusts.

lowered a couple hondas
replaced the starter in my acura

i've dont more on other people's cars

Where would one get started

>to perfection
so you hooked up o2 sensors for each cylinder and ran it and changed jets till the a/f was perfect?

>being this much of a faggot

Is your idol that autistic kid in the first Fast & Furious?

>Do you work on your own car? What's the most difficult thing you have done to it?
Yes. Total A/C R&R.

I replaced the entire brake system in my 69 mustang...

>replaced drum wheel cylinders
>rebuilt drums replacing springs, shoes, self adjuster ect.
>replaced all the steel brake lines
>replaced power brake booster
>replaced master cylinder
>replaced distribution valve
>replaced all brake hoses
>rebuilt brake calipers replacing the rubber pieces
>replaced the rotors hubs and bearings because they're all the same unit.
>replaced brake switch.

I could've probably skipped on some things, or rebuilt other things, but air was in the system and from what i could tell everything was filled with gunk. Running dot 5 now and the car stops as good as it did when new.

5th Gen Prelude Auto to 5spd conversion.

What was the hardest part, my fampai

>Every job is my most difficult job because every single bolt is rusted in place and at least one will break, forcing me to replace parts I didn't otherwise need to replace.

took my car to the dealer for an oil and brake fluid change. they said the bleeder is rounded off and want $400 to replace it (like $5 in parts and $395 in labor, not including the brake fluid change).

not sure what to do at this point because if i shear that off trying to remove it myself i will be fucked and might even need a new caliper if i break it, not to mention would have to get my car towed somewhere even if i got it off because the brake would start bleeding and the system needs a computer to properly bleed it which i dont have.

thinking about asking an indy if they can do it cheaper.

This is what I learned on.

My car's never seen salt, but 30 years of age is 30 years of age.

My car's never seen salt, but 30 years of age is 30 years of age.
Your bleeder screw will just be right there. Soak it in penetrating oil and get some vice grips on it if it's already rounded.

New calipers are a lot less than $400.

>Your bleeder screw will just be right there. Soak it in penetrating oil and get some vice grips on it if it's already rounded.

i mean i could try, i have vice grips and a spanner here with teeth on it that's supposed to help remove damaged fasteners, but im scared of shearing it.

The ONLY thing i dont do is basemap tuning
and even then ill eventually learn how

Aside from the factory that built it and the handlers that got it to the point in pic related, I'm the ONLY person who's worked on or driven it.

Most difficult thing I've done is replace the stock rear sub-frame bushings with the solid M3 bushings.

I've only done an oil change, changed tie rods and new sway bar end links on my 89 Mustang. The hardest part was probably the end links because it took me a while to figure out you have to tighten them both at once

is that tippex

most difficult was the first time i did a oil change on my car. the filter was stuck on so bad i had to stab it with a printer rod to get it moving.

the year afer it was very easy because i just hand tightened it.

Year?

I do as much as I can and have the tools/facilities for

Haven't done much complicated stuff yet. Removed the alternator, redid the rear wiring, lubricated the entire rear braking system, clutch slave replacement... most complicated will probably be the coming 2 inch lift kit thats coming in a few weeks

I pulled the engine out of this piece, got a new bottom end for it, had the head reconditioned, put the engine back together, and put it back in the car.

Fix your house before the car

What's wrong with his house, virgintrain? He could maybe use a new driveway but that's about as far as I could tell

i do everything on all my cars bar machining
>bottom ends, diffs gearboxes
>engine swaps
>wiring
>refurbish wheels

worst job I've ever done was fixing a shitty half assed turbo setup in an AE93 i bought
pretty much had to start from scratch
there was so little room, it fit together like a jigsaw puzzle
fucked my hands up hardcore and i pinched a nerve in my wrist with the constant shit locations of nuts and bolts

im very jelly of your nice house and garage and dools

Almost all the work.

The most difficult thing I've done is put an air locking differential into my Jeep Cherokee Classic.

The only work I have never done and will never do is exhaust and any type of programming or reflashing

Most difficult job I've done recently was replacing the steering rack on the wife's CR-V. Everything came out pretty easily, EXCEPT for that fucking high pressure line. What a goddamned motherfucker.

I had to send the wife into town to buy me an el-cheapo line wrench that I could bend. On the high pressure line, I could get my line wrench on it just fine, but I had ZERO throw. Like, none.

I chocked up the shit wrench in the vise, and took my torch to it, bending it so I could get throw. If I didn't have my torch, it would have never come out.

Yes
Replacing the small two coolant hoses in the back corner of the engine

Just spent the last 4 hours changing the ac compressor on my is220d lexus, pretty stressful. Had to strip quit a bit out to get it out.

yes
literally changing the oil filter

haven't done much to it yet, but the timing belt, motor mounts, and speedo cable should all prove interesting

Yes...worst was the brake lines, as I could only get the truck up about 20", and I kept getting rust and shit in my eyes...
Truly a pain in the ass, but repair shops all wanted $1200 labour plus materials...

lol wat

No, it's plastic that's sticky on one side. You just peel it off.

Headgaskets

>Every job is my most difficult job because every single bolt is rusted in place

Flashbacks are hitting me hard here.

>Alright chief imma just do some quick work on the car and I'll be right over
>Prepare for what is at most a 10 minute job if I piss about
>Hours later
>Ring ring
>Captain! pls send beer

probably replace the pcv valve on a D16Y8 civic

literally the worst place it could be located. on the exhaust side, below the exhaust manifold so you have to reach up past the oil filter and assorted other things with the whole car suspended over you. took way to long and in the end part of the valve broke off and got stuck in the black box in this picture. i was trying to pull it out with locking pliers and it took fucking forever

Replacing all the control arm bushings on my car was a nightmare. Had to burn and press them all out. Took the entirety of a 3 day weekend.

yes, i R&R'ed my head gaskets and lower intake it wasn't too hard just time consuming

I don't see the point, just give it to the dealership or a local mechanic. No point in getting my hands dirty. I'm here to drive not fix shit like a plumber.

Valve clearance check on all 12 valves.

not cars but:
>ka-6 cr
cleaning and lubricating the aileron and elevator controll rods and conected bearings wich are surrounded by 1,5mm plywood from 1966
>Simson S51
cylinder+piston new
complete ignition system new
carburator setup

just spent 2 weekends replacing the:
Upper Ball Joints
Lower Ball Joints
Inner Tierods
Outer Tierods
Sway Bar Bushings
Sway Bar Links
Front Brakes/Rotors
Rear Brakes/Rotors

...on my 2007 Ram 1500, 2wd, 3.7l, 6spd manual

Still not done. Just got the last ball joint separated. Never in my life have I had so much trouble separating a ball joint from a spindle...knew it was trouble the second a couple of wacks on the portion holding the tapered end of the ball joint with a 4lb hammer didn't make it pop out...

Everything else is done. Should have the new lower ball joint pressed in tomorrow.

Related:
How important is the snap ring for the upper ball joint if it is pressed in from the top?

The ones that came with the ball joints are WAY too small (I have a snap ring pliers and there is no possible way for them to go on). The stock uppers had no snapring so I am thinking I should be good.

I-i-is that a black edition?

I do all the work on my Jeep, but I unfortunately have helped my buddy work on his 2000 3rd gen 4runner a couple times. Done upper control arms, from coil overs, and rear coils and shocks. As well as lower ball joints. Although it's all relatively simple stuff its stupidly time consuming and frustrating to do. Plus all I got out of it was lunch. I should probably spend more time on my own cars but what ever, being a nicefag is ok I guess.

Yes I do.

In 2009, when I was 19, I installed: new water pump, alternator, belts, cam seals, valve cover gasket, and some other bits.

I have done (or taken apart and cleaned) everything in my car except:
-rebuild the engine's bottom-end
-rebuild the transmission
-rebuild the LSD (I change the fluid every 3-4 years though).
-Anything in the fuel system (though I changed the fuel filter this April).
-Anything in the A/C system (still works despite the car being 23 years old; I haven't even put any R-134a in).

I also haven't done any major body work or painted anything.

>driving a car that uses a carb

Most difficult thing probably was replacing all the 30 year crushed and crusted bushings in the suspension. However I'm gearing up to replace a fucked water pump so wish me luck

I've done lots of shitty jobs on cars, but one of the ones that sticks out was doing the blower motor on my first Volvo 240. The joke in the Volvo community is that they built the car around it.

It's not even so much the fact it's *that* difficult, it's mainly just how fiddly, time-consuming, and stupid the placement is in the first place. Especially since the 240 is easy to work on otherwise.

For anyone considering doing it themselves: save yourself some aggravation and just cut some access holes to do it. Seriously. I did this the second time around and it's better.

Either this or replacing Volvo 264 PRV camshafts

>Step 1: Remove the entire valvetrain
>Step 2: Disassemble your entire dash
>Step 3: Now, get your 2" hole-saw....

That makes you a cuck, to know ones car is to know ones self

A lot of sweat, some blood, many hours, many parts over 6 years on a 2003 Expedition. Second worst was the catalytic converters. It took two days, and had to use a ratchet strap to pull the last piece together to finish. But the worst was............

The worst was chopping it up for scrap after it got wrecked. Especially when taking all those knew parts back out.

Why would you use Dot 5?
It's not good for average driving unless you're planning to race it

I didn't do what I'm going to say to my car
I have to change brake pad but due to some company shitty design, I can't get the caliber bolt off cause it's right next to the leaf spring
I have to use all of my strength to get the caliber bolt off

It's mostly the company shitty/stupid design fault where you have to do additional step

>do you work on your own cars

If I have the time and don't need the vehicle for a while, yes.

>hardest thing you've done
Changing out the slave cylinder on a 1st gen S10 while it's -20 outside and windy. Took two and a half hours because my hands kept going numb AND I got sick from it.

Most difficult thing I've done is change the knock sensor on my RSX type S. Took me 2 hours to bolt a bracket back on with 2 bolts. Knock sensor fucked up again over time, had to solder a new wire extending the old wire, then solder on the pin and plug it directly into the sensor. Was a bitch to get done.

The FD fuel filter. That bastard sits on top of the diff, and like most people, I have to use a floor jack and jack stands since I don't own a lift.

This as well, fuck the knock sensor.

yes

separate engine and trans swaps

08 Mitsu Galant 2.4 Mivec

Timing chain and valve seals

Hard Mode: no engine drop, no clearance to inner fender.

I'd rather swap an LS into a fiero and fab my own front suspension from scratch.

install coilovers and then replace my drivers side cv axle

coilovers probably took me like six hours in my apartment parking lot just using a shop jack, hand tools, and a torque wrench. that includes the time i took adjusting ride height all around. i was talking to a couple guys i live next to who noticed and wanted to know what i was doing.

cv axle took like an hour, i had to rent a torque wrench for that though

Do you live in House And Commission cunt?

yeah I do all my work on my car

>2002 lancer oz rally
>changed all wheel bearings and hubs
>changed brake pads and drum shoes
>replaced wiring for passenger headlight and cruise control and AC
>new fender liner on passenger side

hardest job ive done was replacing my motor

>new valve cover and oil pan gasket
>new rear main seal
>water pump, timing belt
>new MAF
>new spark plugs
>new radiator

now its time for a new transmission and clutch. I also need new passenger side doors and fender.

also I guess I should ask, since I changed my wiring for my headlight(went to a pick n pull and found a lancer of my year)my blinker stays on as long as my headlights are on. It doesnt blink it just stays on like a parking light, but its my blinker. I changed out the bulbs and checked all my fuses. Im at a loss

Changed the spark plugs. Took me a good few hours

>The joke in the Volvo community is that they built the car around it.
This sounds about right senpai, thank god I didn't have to put that bullshit back in when I was taking it out.
The entire time I was stripping my 240 I was thinking how shitty it would be if I had to replace the blower motor or heater core, that shit is literally at the center of the car and encased in 1000 screws and plastic clips and wires.

Im just starting to getting into fixing my own car its a g35, so far hardest thing ive done is wheel bearings and power steering pump.

I've only done relatively simple stuff, but the trickiest was probably changing the fuel injectors. The clips that hold them onto the rail had kind of seized on and were a fucking pain to get off. One of them even broke, but was still intact enough to hold the new injector on, so I didn't worry about it. However, the job that made me want to fucking kill myself the most was actually changing the valve cover gasket.

>Haynes manual says it's a piss-easy job, few hoses and 10 bolts
>all but three of said bolts had completely rusted away and were definitely no longer hexagonal
>visit the stealership and pay out the arse for a new set of bolts
>try hammering old sockets onto them, works on another three but four still won't play ball
>have to drill them out
>fuck up drilling them out and leave a nice big hole in the valve cover
>why the fuck is it plastic ford you pricks
>order another cover off ebay
>it arrives and is broken, same hole as the one I broke
>have to buy another one
>three weeks after starting the job, it arrives
>perfect condition for a used part
>however it uses captive bolts instead of the sort my valve cover used
>£17 worth of new bolts that I bought are utterly useless
>fit it
>it really is just 10 bolts and a few hoses
>takes 15 minutes max

hardest thing i replaced was a clutch cable on a micra. The japanese folded the housing of the the pedal assembly over 1000 times so its sharp enough to cut your hand off.

PB Blaster, dude. It won't fix rounded heads but it will unsieze bolts.

Just don't put any cheater pipes on the vice grips. If it's not coming out, don't force it.

i try not to do work on my car because my time is worth a lot to me and i see it as a waste of my time to do the work of a mechanic when i could be enjoying my personal time

i do basic maintinence but i have a mechanic i go to for big stuff

>taking it to a greasy dude mad at his choices in life that will slap-dash it together as fast as possible to make the most money instead of doing it right and knowing it was done right, and learning more about your vehicle

mostly just change oil and easy stuff like radiator. hardest thing was maybe changing break pads or a stubborn starter.

Oil change, installed cat back exhaust. Bled clutch fluid from friend's car.

Nothing major although I would very much like to do major stuff if I had the tools.

>replacing shocks in my truck
>should be a 30 minute job easily, just 6 bolts
>all the bolts come out fine with some pb blaster
>the collet that sits inside the rubber bushing rusted onto the lower bolt
>ended up using a pneumatic chisel and 24" pipe wrench for 45 minutes getting that bitch off

Also caught a 6" impact drive extender with my mouth which my dad had a good laugh at

Valve cover gaskets an an FWD V6 shitbox.

Took me two fucking days to finish.

1999 XJ here. Nobody other than me has ever touched it. I caught my dad trying to change the oil on it. I told him to stop, and put the old oil and filter back in. He tried to put synthetic in there. I called the cops afterwards and had him arrested for vandalism.

timing belt for the first time was a dick to diy, but now I think it's easy

I did do a manual swap which was fairly difficult until I started using air tools. Lining up the transmission to bolt on myself was kinda hard too, but even then nothing amazingly hard.

A lot of struggling with bad parts on older cars like bad master cyl, fuel filters being on backwards, etc

first time working on my car cause

>£60/hr garage labour rates

Replaced front bumper, slam panel and radiator.
Disconnected the AC without venting the refrigerant to atmosphere.

Some of the bolts are in the most ridiculous locations but otherwise pretty ez when I'd figured that keeping bolts grouped is better than just leaving them lying around.

AC is a whole different matter. Fuck trying to do that. I can live without.

Carb tuning, engine and gearbox oil change, timing, clearances and a few electrical gizmos.

It's a 70's Bug, you're supposed to do things yourself, since they are piss easy.

Made a fiberglass patch on my bumper yesterday.
Turned out on the fence between fucking horrible and barely acceptable.

changing the battery
aztek owner

Yep, most difficult was probably replacing the exhaust. Maybe dropping the front bumper and attaching the front splitter (required drilling) or replacing the intercooler.

Rear sway bar was an interesting adventure as well.

So yes but nothing too hard.