Why would you buy a Toyota?

Give me 5 good reasons why you would spend more money to get a GT86/BRZ/ instead of a Z4 coupe. The Beemer is better in literally every way apart from slight differences in cost of maintenance.

New car vs used car. A lot of people, myself included, like knowing the car was taken care of from day 1, and you can always get the exact color you want. I'd be buying a BRZ in the future if the 818 didn't have my heart.

Because most people, when they buy a car, buy at the very top of their budget and have these perfect utopian visions of their car never having problems and they'll keep it for at least 10 years and it's the perfect car.

Then, when they need some work after like, year 3, and the BMW work is a big bill, they flip shit and blame the dealer and the sales guy and the manufacturer and the porter and the car wash guy and the cashier and whoever just because they actually can't afford to own a BMW and they just bought at the absolute top of their budget.

>can't afford to own a BMW

This thread is aimed at Americans.

>like knowing the car was taken care of from day 1

Service history?

>you can always get the exact color you want

...just look for the color you want or have the car wrapped if that's big of a deal

Yeah. You're on an American website.

Its not about the car itself, its about the investment
Toyota is a brand cheap to maintain and people know its a better investment, a BMW will depreciate alot more.
Mainly because new BMWs arent made to last long and be maintained over many many years, its made to be the best car for the next 5 years and then just buy the new model because you wont bother spending that much to fix it.
Its a car you should lease and not buy i guess. If you have the money just go for the BMW tho, its a better car in almost every way.

Yea American afford these cars easily. This isn't the Netherlands lmao. I can buy a Z4 with under 40,000 miles for less than the price of a new VW Golf

>service history
Was the car always driven gently when cold? Did the owner rev-match their downshifts? Did they always keep the interior clean or is there something rotting away somewhere? Did they curb the car a lot or otherwise do things to fuck up suspension components? What if it doesn't have a service history? What oil and filter did the dealer ACTUALLY put in it? Etc.

>investment
>investing in a product that depreciates constantly as soon as you buy it
>he thinks his car will be worth anything in 5 years

JUST

Yes, you didn't ride along with the previous owner for every single mile. Big fucking deal. I don't demand to see recordings of everyone a girl has banged before I go out with her.

Also that Z4 is pigfat

>curb weight 3108 lb

it's not a miata, but it's not bad for what it is

>slight difference
nigga come on. i love that era of bmw but let's be real here

DESU, those NA engines are reliable.

Even forgetting about maintenance
>buy GT86
>25k
After 5 years
>worth 15k+

>Buy Z4
>55k
After 5 years
>worth 25k

true, the engine itself does well. but you cant discount maintenance of the cooling system, bushings, any electrical issues, etc.
other cars have similar maintenance requirements yes but not to the same degree or frequency.

that said it's totally worth it, z4>>>

They are reliable, but they are also expensive to fix, and since they are old expect some things to go wrong

>Z4 costs $15K right now
>GT86 costs $25K right now

lol

small potatoes overall, the car doesn't have a ton of features and has already taken 90% of the depreciation hit.

Yeah but you drove a GT85 for 5 years and I drove a Z4.

Poorfags will never learn.

Who cares? Unless you're a college student, you're not buying cute sports cars because they're economical. The Z4 is better in every single facet compared to a BRZ. This is around when BMW started to ruin their steering feel though

only problem with a non M z4 is that it doesn't have an LSD

>86
>curb weight 2,624
Thats like a lot of difference, theres no replacement for the lack of weight
The BMW is more of a cruiser its not really a fun lightweight sports car, that being said, if you really like the BMW i would consider the converible instead of the coupe

That is a fair point

>less than 500lb difference
>luxury coupe vs. stripped out shitbox
>100hp+ difference in power

ok
>if you really like the BMW i would consider the converible instead of the coupe

dumb decision, the coupe is way better to drive and you don't have to deal with BMW electric roofs

Why are you comparing the price of a new Toyota with a used BMW?
A used toyota will always be a wiser choice than a used BMW.
Why do you consider buying a used BMW but not a used Toyota?

Im not a jew, but driving a Z4 was it really worth the 20-25k difference? Thats like 5k/year more? For me its not worth it, but im still too poor to even buy a gt86, still in college

>implying Europoors can afford that as well.

>500lb difference
>+50hp
the 3.0 makes 255hp with no LSD and not a very good steering feel

>the coupe is way better to drive
None of them is better to drive than the 86 tho, so lets face it, you are not buying it because of the driving experience, so why not get the convertible? Its more fun to cruise around
>you don't have to deal with BMW electric roofs
You are also not buying a Z4 to not deal with problems.

In europe we get lots of trims, in america where cars are usually cheaper and you get mostly the high trim BMWs wich are expensive.
In europe a BMW is just a regular car, its not a "luxury brand" like in america.

You can get a Z4M Coupe used with decent miles for the cost of a new brz. Better in every way except for S54 maintenance.

>Why are you comparing the price of a new Toyota with a used BMW?

Because people buying cars look at the choices available

>Why do you consider buying a used BMW but not a used Toyota?

because the Z4 is a much better car?

No in the US, everyone can actually afford this. The average car sold in the US costs literally double what a decent used Z4 costs

get a Z4M then, costs within $2500 of a GT86 with literally more than double the power and LSD

having driven both (and bought neither) I can say the z4m drives kinda crappy compared to the gt86

>interior is tighter, feels like a cave. the 86 having that area for the back seat makes the car feel a lot bigger inside
>clutch pedal is unnecessarily long in the z4m
>the seats don't particularly grab you well in the z4m if you're not an obese whale
>shifter feels tigher and more mechanical in the 86
>subjective, but the z4m felt really muted to me compared to the 86. The 86 had more induction sound and it sounded much deeper.

Except the Z4 coupe was high end in all markets.

.t toyota shill

i didn't buy the 86. I liked the feels but it was too slow and I don't want to fuck with modding.

just saving my money until they either make a br-z sti or I have enough for newish 911

You made 0 complaints about how the car actually drives.

S54 at 8K RPM sounds glorious, you're deaf.

>tfw really want a bmw z4m coupe

GIBS
ME
DAT

It's okay user I found one you can afford

stock s54's sound like trash until you throw a $2k airbox on it

Don't bother, Veeky Forums likes to fantasize about buying cars based on fantasies of what it's like to actually drive them/own them.

>>Look at all this horsepower
>>It's an //M-car!
>>It must be fucking amazing

>what it's like to actually drive them/own them.

>complaint 1 is about space because that guy is a fatass
>complaint 2 is about long clutch travel because that guy is a manlet
>complaint 3 is about space again
>complaint 4 is about the shifter, could be a fair point
>complaint 5 is totally subjective about sound and the GT86 doesn't sound like much

so zero complaints about how the car actually drives

Except ALL of those things are about how the car feels to drive.

What, is your definition of "how the car drives" whether or not there's torque and how far into the seat you got pushed?

>apart from slight differences in cost of maintenance.
Nice job on answering your own question.

c5z outperforms all those cars

>he found out the redline of a z4 and deleted his post

i'll give you $1.50
maaaaybe $2 if you have a receipt

>steering feel
>engine smoothness
>throttle response
>acceleration
>cornering

anything

also good choice, couldn't find any for the price of a Z4 tho

Dat carbon CSL airbox. Sounds like an angry beehive in the scariest way.

>this thread is aimed at americans

the implication is that europoors cant afford to repair their cars, so the post was a moot point

Because the first generation Z4 are as unreliable as shit

t. fag who bought one with only 9000 miles on the clock and in three years the ESP, airbag sensor, rear shock assembly and sat nav failed. The gearbox was an absolute pig too.

Buy the 2nd gen Z4 as they're German made and you'll be fine

T. Cuck, you should atleast have some indiciation of what kind sexual history your GF has had, otherwise goodluck with your relationship goals lmao.

You can find C5Zs all day for high teens. Bang for your buck best performance but ugly as balls :/

Where did this all Americans are rich meme suddenly come from? Do trailer parks suddenly not exist?

>apart from slight differences in cost of maintenance
You mean half as reliable and double as expensive to fix?

BMW is a luxury brand worldwide. So is Audi and Mercedes
Opel/Volkswagen/Skoda etc are not luxury

Some people prefer the Toyota over the BMW?
Some people prefer MUH JDM over europoor crap?
Some people don't like convertibles?
Some people want to stay away from the german engineering meme?

>convertible
get your eyes checked son.
To OP: buying a Z4M is a very good choice during this period as they've already begun to rise in value.
Buying a new GT86 is not so smart because they will be costing $5k within the next few years

yeah bmw sure is luxury, europeans are all rich with their 116d and 216d or even 316d
even a 320d is a regular car in my country which is considered a poor european country

here isnt the brand that defines a luxury car, its his trim level or model. i.e. Luxury cars: A7, A8, even a top trim A6 (obviously a poorly specd A6 is not a luxury car, its just a fat A4)

that looks like a high price to pay for a plastic toy with a truck engine on it, we were talking about real sports cars in this thread

Coalburners have >50% chance of STI.

>Toyota is a brand cheap to maintain
The GT86 has a Subaru engine, hardly as reliable as a Toyota.