ITT we talk about Tesla as if we are reddit

I'll start.

>Electric cars would be here now if big oil would just let go of the combustion engine. Musk will fix this.

Push rods
Dohc
V8
I6
Carb
Efi
You can have my money when you pry it from my boring voltage regulated fingers.

>ITT: Asshurt the model S is the fastest car on the planet
lol

the things top speed is lower than my hyundai's. Quick would be the correct word, but even then it's not the quickest car on the planet, maybe just mass production car.

top speed is gay

>implying any redditor shilling for tesla would know what any of this is.

Can't wait till we ban all those obnoxious pickups, what do they even need them for, you can fit just as much stuff in a Honda oddysey

This is very exciting. I've just recently reach a point in my life in which buying a new car is a possibility. I've never been a fond of the idea of buying new but if I can cut my emissions AND help support a company pioneering alternative energy I just might take the plunge.

So, a tesla would be nice, but many electric cars are currently more affordable than gas-powered cars.
I've had a leaf now for a year and a half. I bought it used, but with only 14k miles on it.
I paid about 10,000.
It costs about $15/month to charge. This is about a third the price I'd spend on gas.
It also has fewer maintenance needs; no oil, no belts, no filters no spark plugs, no gaskets, no transmission, no clutch...
The car will last at least a decade. It costs $350/year less in gas. Right there, I've saved $3500 over a typical car. It doesn't require any regular maintenance, maybe 100/year if you're a good car owner. So now we're down to effectively a $5,500 equivalent price for a 14k miles gas car. a price you won't ever get. That's like the price of a salvage title 10 year-old craigslist civic.
It has limited range which is not enough for some, but where I'm at, it meets 100% of my needs.
The future is already here, the math makes sense. Tesla can put a nail in the coffin of gasoline-powered cars, but make no mistake--the electric car market is already powerful and makes extreme economic sense for a lot of people.

But will they be as affordable to maintain beyond the initial few years?

Electric cars have far fewer moving parts than gas cars, so theoretically should be cheaper to maintain. That's an oversimplification but you get the idea.

True fewer components, but there are still of lot of auto components not specific to the engine required (e.g. differentials, braking, electrical, steering/suspension, body, safety, etc.). I fear these new car manufactures (i.e. Tesla) will go the Apple model where your car and technology are obsoleted after a few short years and faced with essentially "totaling" your car and getting a new one when it start breaking down and you can't fix the electric motor or battery packs or other proprietary parts. It's fine in a paradigm where you only keep your car for a few years and upgrade, but for those of us who appreciate the savings of paying a car off and driving it into the ground it could be an issue.

I really like Tesla's sedans and their hatchback, but im going to wait until they reveal their truck, then i'll definitely buy one.

For anyone worried about autonomous vehicles safety keep in mind that there is a whole polpulace of almost blind disease riddled 60+ year old licensed humans who drive on the roads with you today. The last one I recall stepped on the gas instead of the brake and ran over a bunch of people at a farmers market in LA a few years ago.

Edit: Sorry Plebbit, I did not intend to single out the elderly as the only bad drivers out there. I just wanted to point out they exist and do cause many accidents. My point is that I agree with this article that autonomous cars will be waaaay safer than drunk, young, old, inexperienced, medicated, overconfident, reckless error prone humans. Let's keep moving forward making policy decisions based on science and data instead of irrational fear.

you are really good at being reddit

Guys, if we want electric cars to become the norm sooner, we should petition the government to tax everyone who doesn't drive a fully electricle vehicle.

Not only are they delaying the apotheosis of Lord Musk, they are harming the environment and therefore should pay. The government can then reinvest this money from the non-electric vehicle tax back into Tesla so our dreams will come true faster.

You did that a little too well

>His shitty electric car blows an inaccessible fuse and cost $2000 to fix at some factory on the other side of the country.

I sure can't wait till the machine replace 90% of reddit non tangible skill based jobs, and the tradesmen are left as the ruling elite.

>mfw electric cars will never be the norm as American gas V8s are already perfection

I bought a Tesla Model S last year. Best car I've ever had. I don't support all the circlejerking about Musk, and I don't worship him at all, but the guy is a very smart fella and he's literally the reason electric cars are succeeding at the moment. Won't be long until ICEs aren't a thing anymore, or they'll only be for poor people trying to hold on to the past.

The self driving tech is really impressive as well, can't wait Tesla releases a software update to make it fully autonomous. Should be a lot safer too.

Same here, it's a good car and all but enough with the Musk circle jerking and fanboys who think it's the greatest car ever made.

ELON MUSK IS A KEK

**HIGH ENERGY**