Dead car battery

When I try to ignite my car, it starts making clicking sounds so I take it as the battery is dead. The car is relatively new however. Do I need to replace the battery or just charge it? Can I charge it while it's connected to the car?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=SkAiwHsbcGU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Shits fucked buy a new car

What

>clicking sounds
sounds like your head-gasket's blown, there's no easy solution aside from buying a new car like said

Take a picture of your oil and radiator cap.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=SkAiwHsbcGU

And

Bump

They are trolling shit out of you bro.

Measure the voltage on the actual battery terminals wile cranking. If it drops below 9 volts battery is the problem. If it doesn't fix your shit connections and/or starter motor.

>Can I charge it while it's connected to the car?

Yes.

Also, depending on the type of battery it is you can take the caps off the top and check to see if the distilled water is low. Sometimes this can be the problem by itself.

how old is the battery? they usually last about 5 years before they are in the need of replacing. if you have time just charge it first. then check voltage when done and start the car. if it runs check voltage again and it should read more then 13 volts. if not you prob got a dead alternator. if it's charged and it's still doing nothing or it sounds weak replace the battery. also if everything is fine and after a while you end up with a dead battery again, you probably have a shortage somewhere.

Just take your battery to autozone/literally any auto parts store. They'll test the battery and you can trade in the core for a discount on the new battery. Even if the battery is holding voltage it may not be putting out enough cold crank amps to actually turn over the engine

Thanks user
The car is a 2015 model
Thanks a lot for your help anons.

>Do I need to replace the battery
Yes.

I see. Thank you

Damn. While you're in there check the air filter. Where do you live? The desert?

The battery might either be defective, and therefore be unable to hold a charge. In this case, a new one is due.
It might be, however, that some electrical malfunction uses a tiny bit of current and deep-discharges your battery this way.
In this case, a new battery won't help.
So, you should charge your battery back up; it can stay connected while doing so. Then, disconnect one terminal and check if there's a current flowing with a multimeter.

Iraq
To add, the car was able to start a couple of days ago yet it was not moved for months

That'll do it. Next time, if you need to put a car in storage or you know it's not going to be used in months, disconnect the battery. It'll save the battery and it'll keep people from stealing the car :P

Also, once a starting battery gets drained like that, it's fucked, the plates are thin and they're probably in pieces at the bottom of the battery. Time to get a new one.

We kept turning it on and running the engine every three days or so though
How much a new one costs?

Gotta run it enough to keep the battery charged though. New battery costs about $100 around here. I have no idea what that translates to in moon money in moonland though.

I see. Thank you

Chances are you drained the battery by leaving a door slightly open or the lights on overnight.

Once drained like this, there's a decent chance you've damaged the battery, they aren't meant to be depleted.

Have it tested as another poster said. Just tell them you left your lights on and it MIGHT be bad now, don't approach it as if the battery is already fucked or they'll just skip straight to selling you a new one.

We only left the window slightly opened.

Nah, you must have left something on. Light switch set to on instead of auto? Trunk not closed completely?

Something left the interior or lighting circuit active.

I'm not sure but we couldn't use the car for months though

On modern cars, something is always on, even when the key is off. Only way to turn a car all the way off, is to disconnect the battery.

And it's like that with everything technological these days - nothing turns all the way off even if you tell it to, there's always some little bit still running, still ticking over.

>When I try to ignite my car, it starts making clicking sounds
In older cars, the starter is engaged by a solenoid. When the starter or the solenoid has a problem, it can generate the clicking noise each time you try to start it even with a fully charged battery.

I suggest you google
starter makes clicking noise

Okay thank you

>Iraq
Fuck off out of here sand nigger

No

Sandmonkeys aren't welcome here, kill yourself, you're probably already planning to with a bomb best though