Cayman GT4 with 100k salary

Lots of people are saying don't do it because you'll be pretty much broke but I've wanted this car for so long now.

What do /o

It depends on how your finances are otherwise.

If you're in good shape financially and can afford that car, fuck it, go for it. I ALWAYS keep my monthly finances to a 50% ratio or less. Ideal is 40%.

(Mortgage + utilities + insurance + taxes/12 + food + gas + __________) / (Annual net income / 12)

Or, do what I did to get an expensive car... Save up and put a large down payment on it

Get a used cayman s my dude.

What do you drive if you don't mind me asking..

Looks great man! WHen you get it please post pics. Dont listen to those econobox-jews

If you can afford it, do it. It's not like it'll be hard to get rid of if you run into trouble. Delayed gratification is bullshit.

Maybe test drive it. Who knows, you might not like it then you won't have it eating away at your conscious

How good is your credit? How much would you be able spend as a down payment? How much would you have in the bank left over as emergency money for repairs? Can you guarantee your job security so that you'll keep making 100k throughout the time you pay for the car? And don't forget about the cost to insure it.

If I were buying anything porsche, I would make sure that I buy it with a warranty, and that I have at least $7-10k set aside solely as repair and maintenance money, and that I have a way of refilling this along with continuing to pay for the car.

Poster above has a very good point about keeping what you spend as less than 50% (or lower) of what you take in. If it's really your dream car and you feel comfortable with the purchase taking into account everything you have to spend and everything you may have to spend if something goes wrong, then go for it. You're only young once, enjoy it while you can. Plus a GT4 cayman might actually be an appreciating asset in a number of years

just get a used s or gts. it's 50-75% of the car for less money.

I have a salary in the low 100k range and I wouldn't feel comfortable with a GT4. That's mostly because I need to pay rent. If you have low housing costs then it should be doable.

07 Kawasaki Ninja 250 street fighter (I dropped it 3 times and the fairings were fucked)

Slightly off topic but; what do people think about the Cayman S prices, will they continue to go down? I feel like 25k for an early one is an absolute steal.

Buy my FR-S instead. It's basically the same car.

I make around 170k and I own a BRZ and a 390 Duke. If I was going to buy a new car I would consider a used Cayman, or perhaps a Corvette. I'd rather save and invest, so those cars represent a good value proposition to me while still being performant. I'm sure I could justify it if lust fueled my decisionmaking, but no car does that to me right now.

You can swing it OP, but think about what else you could do with that money, and maybe consider a regular Cayman. If you aren't going to track it this is even more of a reason against the GT4.

I make 5 million a day and drive a 3k civic. All of /o is rich oligarchs who drive shitboxes

Following up on my original post, save up until you can pay for it with cash. Then, if you still want to spend that sort of cash straight up on the GT4 you know that you REALLY want it.

same salary and im picking up a new 2016 Cayman GTS this week (there are still a few out there)

Not a GT4, but 1) I dont know manual, 2) where I drive for fun, its extremely windy/twisty and manual is not ideal - too much going on, 3) pdk is based, 4) GTS is cheaper

Also, went with new because I am concerned with owner history and whether the owners respected the ~2000 mile break in period. The used market is flooded right now with "company cars" and "executive demos" where you can be certain the car was tracked under 2000 miles and was beaten to hell. If you want to keep the Cayman, consider this as a big thing to worry about.

>1) I dont know manual
If you have enough money for a Cayman GTS, you have enough money to learn manual. Not that you have to, but this just isn't an excuse. Start off in any used manual car, Porsche manuals are a breeze and some of the best.
>2) where I drive for fun, its extremely windy/twisty and manual is not ideal
That "too much going on" is called "fun" to people who drive manual on twisty roads. In fact, an open twisty road is the best place to enjoy a manual.
>3) pdk is based
Sure, but you wouldn't really know would you?

>anime poster

GT4 Cayman wont be appreciating once the 2019s drop (probably building in factory this time next year, and will be marked up a shit load by dealers), but for now, they are not moving much in price, same with the 2016 GTS' (last of the NA flatsix)

Good financial advice for most normies, but if you do stocks, put a hefty deposit on the loan and if you owe like 30k, you can make some tasty money in the market in a few months, making at least 5k with normie-tier stocks.

I thought about the manual and learning with a shitbox but does not interest me really, especially with my hills here and traffic if I want to daily it on occasions. I quite like the paddles.

I have driven several 911s with PDKs, I know how it feels/works.

Porsches are great cars with either transmission, but it's nice to know what you are missing out on.

>greentexting about animeposters on an anime website

Jesus what the fuck do you all do that everyone in this thread is making $100k +?

Can't speak for everyone but I am in systems/devops/SRE sort of work, I suspect it's mostly tech jobs.

Lie.

fed gov gravy train baby

so you're poor

software engineer in high cost of living area

aka bay area.

why are you scared to say it. We can't find your address you knob

no im in seattle you triple nigger

there is way more than just one high cost of living area

suck my dick from the back you progressive faggot

Software engineer with a bachelors. Grossed about $110k my first year out of school and I live in TX.

Cayman? More like gayman lmoa

The GT$ is kinda dumb. It will lose value like a rock if you rack up the miles. I would buy a car that don't turn into a financial turd if I actually drive it.

Ur just bad at budgeting. I make $137,000 a year.

>mixels

if you want it then get it

Aren't these things selling for like $150k-$200k? They sold out and sky rocketed in value

>anime message board

Mech Engineer. Made 120k out of school and I live in a state with low COL

Nope. Low 100-110k

>spending your entire yearly income before taxes on a weekend car
My dad's a financial adviser, I think I understand when he says that a people who make 4 times as much as him are poor

People don't know how to handle their money. Nobody ever taught me. I had to stumble upon it. Once I learned the ins and outs, my mind was blown. Most people waste so much fucking money it absolutely unbelievable. And that's coming from someone who just bought a new car.

>buys "expensive car"
>car = cheap bike

Wut?

wait a couple years and find a nice used one?

How much do you have saved up OP? I bought a $50k car and could've paid out of pocket but didn't feel like taking that much of a hit on my bank account at the time so I put either 20k down and got a 30k loan or 30k down 20k (it was 4 years ago) then wound up just paying off the loan fast as shit. Said fuck it due to extra interest and had the money anyway.

Please show us the light

lmao. what do you people spend your money on? 100k a year and you can't afford an entry level sports car? oh ya, those must be reserved for millionaires.

you must be really screwy in your finances to think that the purchase of this vehicle would affect your life. like,how have you not been able to save money to put down on this car with that salary???

You've probably never made 100k in your entire life. 100k is entry level for sports cars? Are you old enough to be posting here?

Can I ask you guys a few things about engineering?
I want to do mechanical, and ill be doing a bridging program, so i'll get a degree and a diploma.
Can you guys give me some insight and/or advice? I'd be really greatful

Software doesn't have much to do with electrical but I'll try to answer your questions.

I mean mechanical, not electrical, it's late.

I would buy the car only if you plan on keeping it forever. At 100k salary, you can afford the car. You won't be able to make multiple big purchases, but 1 or 2 is ok.

>Save $1000 a week
>Wait one year
>$50k down payment
>~$1,000 monthly payment on a 5 year loan

That's what do

Actually I think my Porsche has saved me money over time. When you own a Porsche, you can literally have any other car with it. My beater car is a 1998 Honda civic. In the time since I've had the cars, my neighbor has gone through several BMWs.

>earn 35 k a year in europe (is decent payment)
>buy a used bmw 5gt 1yo 32500k
>order 2nd key
>key doesnt work, VIN is changed in chassis
>go to police
>car hets Confiscated
> i dont know if i ever get it back

Ok, sorry for the late reply, but here are a few of my questions

what school did you go to and what was the program like?

What would you say is the hardest thing about engineering in general?

Do you have a P.Eng? and if you do, how hard was it to become one?

Finally, what other engineering fields should I look into? I would like to do mechanical engineering, but I have also been looking into Mechatronics and Software as well.

Doctor

Asset management

I love the GT4 but I can't see myself spending that much on a car, period. Maybe a 987 or 981 Cayman S in a few years.

Im a rodeo clown so Im loaded

>buying a sports car
>on a five year loan

I did with mine...
because 0.0%

well in that case why not

>tfw make 166k and drive a 18 year old shitbox

If I wasn't saving up to retire at 40, I would totally buy a porche.

I earn 180k a year and i drive a 2004 prius

You could get a 986 or 996, they're not exactly expensive.

More like $16.6k

>Baylor
>the mathematics holy fuck. Everything else was fine as long as you kept up with it
>no. I'm fresh outta school
>aerospace and petroleum.

nothing wrong with that. You probably don't enjoy cars and thats fine.

some of us do.

sorry yeah i'd say crazy. even if you make it past the list price look at the MPG.

also like people have said why not consider a tesla if you really must spend that money?

You're literally the first ITT to even mention Tesla, and that's a completely different type of car than a fucking GT4.

Your networth is what you should be considering; not your salary. If your networth isn't north of 500k; don't fucking do it. Get a cheaper used Porsche and save for a house.

If you can actuall afford a GT Porsche; a few thousand extra a year on gas or a few grand for a daily driver are no big deal.

One thing you may want to seriously consider is that their value is about to drop. For a long time they were fetching more than list price, but that is all becasue it was the only manual you could buy with GT written on the back of it. Now they are selling the current gen 911 GT3 with an optional manual box, GT4 prices will fall a bit. They wont tank, but it will be significant.

Good luck finding a build slot for a new 991 gt3 lmao

>GT4 prices
>ever dropping

The only reason people are pissed about the GT3 is because it undervalues their 911Rs that they were going to flip, or people who over paid for a 911R

This is the issue, he can't afford a GT porsche.

OP if you can't afford to buy it outright with savings you've put away over the time you've lusted for it (While also putting some savings into regular savings too) then you can't afford it.

M I A M I B L U E

Seriously, the new cayman in miami blue is top 3 aesthetic porsches ever made and from what I hear handles like sex.

Seattle is NOT a high cost of living area.
Infact, in a pretty comprehensive study of software engineer salaries vs savings done by Glassdoor, Seattle came out as the best City to live in from a savings perspective.
You want high cost of living? Move to LA

>what school did you go to and what was the program like?
UT Austin for electrical/computer engineering, my job is software engineering though. It was pretty difficult and I felt like a retard all the way through but a good deal of what I learned has direct applications in the industry and Austin has a ton of companies hiring engineers which is great for internship and job searching. I got several internships and my job through the engineering career fair there. Highly ranked programs also don't bend to the will of textbook publishers near as much so, for the most part, you don't have to deal with giant bullshit fees to turn in homework online and such, they have their own shit for that. People like to say that where you go to college doesn't matter, but for internships and first jobs it most definitely does.

>What would you say is the hardest thing about engineering in general?
Mostly math. Junior and senior year the concepts got pretty gross too, but I spent the most time fretting over math and physics.

>Do you have a P.Eng? and if you do, how hard was it to become one?
No, fairly recent graduate so not an option yet, and not really a reason to if you stick to computers and software. I might get mine anyways later on though.

>Finally, what other engineering fields should I look into? I would like to do mechanical engineering, but I have also been looking into Mechatronics and Software as well.
Depends on what your interested in, most engineering fields will pay you enough to live comfortably with plenty of toys, but some will still pay quite a bit more on average than others. Just do your research and make sure you have realistic expectations of what you'll actually be doing day to day once you graduate. Also where you are in the world determines pay to some extent as well, companies in the US tend to pay a lot more, even after you factor in cost of living, cost of health care, etc., than most other places.

Creative Director - 135/yr and I drive a 99 M3.

OP would be wise to slow his roll.

what kind of roll do you think he has which he should be slowing? we talking dinner rolls? kaiser rolls? fucking, bulkie rolls?

Live in it

You can still live for cheap in LA. On the SF Bay peninsula or in the city itself median home price is $1.2 million and 1 bedroom apartments rent for around $2200 a month. For under $600k home or under $1200/room you are minimum commuting 1.5 hours each direction. You can live for cheap in LA in Long Beach, North Hollywood, etc. and be 30 minutes away from work.

the GT4 is already too overpriced, look for a Cayman S with a 6-speed manual, its only 35hp shy of the GT4, its not the NA god machine but it also has some advantages

Better 25k for a Cayman than for a BRZ

It's a lost of car for the money, but so it a C5 Z06 or C6

Comes down to preference really

Gt4??? Buy a Cayman R,my friend. They will never go down in value.

Its mostly Americans, 100k may seem like much but they still have to pay health insurance, pay for the college debt and other ridiculously expensive things.
In europe with 100k/year you have enough money to not worry about owning 3 porsches

Shh its americans with their freedums

Most people making 100k+ get free or very heavily subsidized insurance through their employer. I pay like 40 bucks a month for full health, dental, vision, life, d&d, extended illness, etc. Plus unlimited pto... 401k.. annual 8% bonus.. 4 months pcl.. cold brew keggerator.. free smoothies.. monthly happy hours.. etc etc. I also work 10-4 and take an hour lunch. Europe sucks.

>100k ~ 6k/mo take home
>enough to afford 3 $1,800/mo cars

No wonder yurop can't into economies

>chinese cartoon image board

Its not a 911
And 100k after taxes is 7200$/month
I can rent or pay the a nice house for 1500$/month
Also 1000$/month for each car theres a lot left to pay your bills a live a wealthy life

LOL sorry but you have no idea how things work. You're never going to be rich blowing 1/2 your take home on cars.

Poor people are so funny.

It's not too hard honestly. Eating at restaurants and packaged foods is a huge money suck. Cook as much of your own shit as much as you can. Invest some of your earnings every month. Live close to work. Maintain a credit card but pay it off every work. Give yourself a cash allowance every week and leave the plastic at home. Etc.

cars are never a good investment, i was just saying you could without worrying about it, not that you should
My point is that the income in america cant be related with the income in europe.
Since everyone has those really high salaries everything is also really expensive, not in yurop, if you earn 7000€/month you are earning like 4-5x more than the rest of the population.

Tesla might be better.

Your numbers are all wrong. It's painfully obvious you don't know what you're talking about.

100k after taxes is $6184 and that's only if you live in a state like Washington with no state income tax