What's wrong with Audi?

What's wrong with Audi?

Too expensive

only Audi mechanics can fix them when things break you can try doing in your self but it will break again. Keeping an Audi on the road will cost thousands

I enjoy pic related, but now they're glossy black and tacky.

Everything is cheap plastic in the engine bay. No space to work on them. Too expensive.

is the engine still ahead of the front axle... ffs why wont audi fag engineers learn

>is the engine still ahead of the front axle
Yes it gives better cabin space a more important consideration for luxury cars than polar moments of inertia.

How come Mercedes can still build decently balanced cars (not as balanced as BMWs but still good) while having good interior space and driving dynamics superior to any Audi?

They sacrifice internal space for "balance"for any given wheelbase. BMW even more so.

Because when your audi reaches 75,000 miles, you wake up, get ready for work, try to start the car and become a tsb "engine won't start". then you take a sick day off, take it to the mechanic, and says that you have a bad piston or low compression on a cylinder. enjoy cucking your wife for money to fix your audi.

Didnt some user get a chain replacement quote on an S5 at 17000? Every 100k miles at that.

driven by either irritating soulless businessman who drag you out of a fun conversation to talk about some politics or whatever stupid shit just so they can feel included and pretend everyone likes them or driven by complete braindead trailer trash who bought the cheapest car available thinking they are bling motherfuckers and more gentlemanly than bmw which is also a trash brand for white trash.
Atleast bmw is good to drive and has rwd as opposed to audi which is fwd cuckbox

Their engineering team is fucking retarded.

For instance, pic related. The 4.2 V8 found in almost all their "sporty" models from the B6 S4 onwards. The chain guides are made of shitty plastic, so they're prone to breaking before the car even hits 100k miles.
They're also located at the flywheel side of the engine, so replacing the timing components requires you to take the entire front of the car apart.
This exact engine also manages to be longer, taller, wider and heavier than any aluminum LS motor, only has 2/3rds the displacement and has only a fraction of the power potential.
All that over-engineering and they still couldn't make an engine that's better than a truck engine design that's pretty much been around since the fucking '60s.

I remember somebody telling me how he had to remove a whole lot of shit just to replace a broken headlight. Took him over a day I think.

The I Phone of cars.

People around here trade in for the newest model

Never see one older than 2011

Everything
Source - Audi technician

Another
Useless
Deutsche
Invention

>take Honda Civic
>give it plush seats and tune the engine for 93 octane
>change the lights and stuff
>rebadge it as an Audi and sell it for $45k
they're at the point where nobody would notice

fellow audifag here
can confirm

That's more like, every new car past 2005. Some electrician told me he once had to remove the entire front bumper on a Renault Clio to change a light bulb.

true ultimate good machine

That's wrong as fuck and heavily depends on what work needs to be done to it.
You have never taken apart a BMW.
>fwd
>literally didn't even look at the OP pic related
No man they're fucking amazing- they can manage to build such a tightly engineered machine while still not making it too reliable to be sold.
This is true for almost everything post-1990's, and especially everything post-2006.

It took 5 minutes max in my 98 shitbox.

what to heck happened here?

>tightly engineered machine
And yet an LS is smaller and lighter, all while being capable of making much more power and being available with almost twice the displacement. The 4.2 is a useless unreliable overengineered boat anchor.

Audi's special brand of German engineering.

Well it obviously isn't a 98 honda accord, because for that you need to remove the bumper for access to the lower bolts.
Almost every car with fixed headlights is this way.

>"while still not making it too reliable to be sold"
I didn't say it wasn't shit- it's just a piece of marvelously engineered shit that is brilliant purely in the various and obscure ways in which they fail.
They're honestly pretty fun to fix in a meticulous table puzzle way.

They spend millions on R&D for things like making an undershield that helps dampen engine noise.

On this same engine the cartridge oil filter housing is under of 1" rubber pipes from the vacuum pump. So the hoses must bent out of the way to get the 36mm cartridge socket on, and get soaked in dirty oil every time it's changed.

>every time it's changed.
Dude, those hoses will be ceramic-like at 150 k

Service interval for hoses is 60k, the service calls for replacement.
Of.
All.
Rubber.
Hoses.

>2003 A4 3.0 162,000
>quoted $4500 for control arm replacements and $1300 for timing belt job

Its got other issues as well I'm sure but that timing belt seems like the most important. Thing is, that's all my savings right now. Feel like it's not even worth keeping. That the timing belt might snap on the freeway scares the shit out of me. Stupidly enough I want to keep driving German cars but I know I can't afford to maintain them.

Probably nothing is wrong with the car if you like it.

The first owner of my car was 8k km due on the cam belt change. What makes you think that they will take care of it?

[ T A I L G A T I N G I N T E N S I F I E S ]

Nah it's full of high quality plastic. Plastic everywhere, but not cheap brittle shit like Kia. "Audi; at least it's not a Kia."

Control arms? You mean this in pic releated? This cost me 40€ for my old 2002 Fiat Punto and another 20€ for getting it swapped by a buddy.

Is it made of gold or something?

>cabin space

Last time I was in a C6 A6 it felt pretty cramped. The older C5 felt a lot roomier, even an A4 had as much interior space.

Yeah, instead it's a VW with a price hike and meme """"""""AWD""""""""

It's so fucking asymmetrical I hate it

also those heads are ridiculously tall

>those heads are ridiculously tall
that's DOHC for you

>4500 for control arms
Is that for every control arm on the car? Seriously, I've done those in my driveway. There's no way that's a $4500 job.

Civics actually handle well.

I agree with you actually. My family owns a 2017 A6 that I drive frequently. The car is great desu but I'm sure it will get expensive when the miles start to add up. More to my point, I've driven a 2016 Passat and it was nearly identical to the a6 in terms of refinement, build quality, power and tech features, which people seem to care about. They were both very good but I see no reason to go with the Audi when the Passat was nearly as good for thousands less.

Is that for every control arm on the car, made of aircraft grade aluminium?

FTFY

but why so tall tho

Or, you could put a Viper 8.4 engine in it. But then you'd lose passanger space.

You wanted a fast four seater, why complain?

I've actually swapped the things out. I can see the job being pricey, but not that pricey. It's a weekend job at most for a home gamer.

>Audi TT
>FF/AWD
>Audi A/S/RS5
>FF/AWD
Some explain why VAG hates RWD and loves to make the same car under different badges

y-you too

You forgot
>VW Golf/Jetta/Audi A3
>VW Beetle/Audi TT
>VW Passat/CC/Audi A4/S4/RS4/A5/S5/RS5
>VW Phaeton/Audi A8

dem quads
Is the new RS5 really FWD biased haldex AWD???

You forgot about S3.

look up "quattro ultra"

And Škodas and SEATs

And RS3, and TTS, and TTRS

Let's not get too punctual because there are more.

A new Passat isn`t cheap either tho. Better off buying a Skoda.

Okay then, thats $370 for the entire kit. And it's Audi, so the parts would be more expensive anyway,..

...but $4500 for the entire job? Christ.

Exactly. Even if they replace every control arm on the car, the entire job with the timing belt shouldn't go over $1800.

>Skoda
There are better ways to spend money.

There are cooler moneypits out there.

This. Want a German project car to dump money into? Get a BMW, at least those have other handling characteristics than just terminal understeer.

I know. It's just that I was alphabetically searching for anything that would be better than a brand new Škoda. Didn't had to search for too long.

Maths teachers are the only ones who drive them.

math* ;)

Wrecked D2s make me sad.

Compared to what?

the VWs they're based on

I guess this mostly goes for most new German luxury cars, but Audi's design language has become so predictable and boring that it's hard to care at this point. They aren't bad looking at all, but they have seemed to stop trying anything new that might actually alienate a customer in China somewhere.

Yeah. Wtf? Did he get board and decide to kill himself?

ITT mad poorfags

Invariably driven by a cock; Mandatory douche tests at the dealership ensure that every owner is a dick.

cunt detected

Why? They are literally diamond-a-dozen.

this
there's a reason they sell for less than 2k

Maintaining one costs several times that

They're nice "intro-luxury" cars
they are not sports cars
hanging the engine over the front axle is literally the least sporty thing you can do to a car

>tfw A4
At least it's Quattro...

what the FUCK is going on here

TOPLEL

3 WORDS:
PUSH
ROD

you're dumb

the timing chain guide issue was on ly for the B6/B7 S4.

timing chain issues don't apply to the 4.2 FSI engines, or the ones before the one you posted.

I had a 2011 BMW 335 xdrive then got a 2013 s4 which is a supercharged v6 and I love it. I bought a warranty just in case when I found out the license place holders were 300 a piece. Old Audis are known for being unreliable but the new ones are some of the best cars you can buy.

audi is known for having the best awd system in the world. this comes at the cost of having to mount their engines in front of the front axles, since the front diff is built into the front of the transmissions which puts the bellhousing just in front of the hub axis. this inherently leads to increased understeer. like everything else in life, it's a tradeoff.

that's audi's biggest problem.

then there's the issue with their new designs which i personally think are god awful and a complete departure from their history of subtle, refined styling, but thats subjective.

Just another flavour of vadge. Also so, so bland and generally driven by bellends.

rear mounted water pump.
>what in gods name.
>we should have nuked Germany.

20 euros in total,
Your buddy is a real bro, control arm bushing can be ass to replace sometimes.

Northstars are the same way. There's a whole fucking water manifold on the back of the engine that leaks like hell too.

the whole reason the chains are in the back of the motor is to save front-back space. all accessories are mounted on the side. can barely even fit your fingers between the front of the motor and the radiator.

VAG is what's wrong with audi.

>You have never taken apart a BMW.

The fuck are you talking about? He's right they push the engines as far back as they reasonably can to keep most of the engines weight behind the front axle.

The dashboard my 540i is like a mile long becuase of this.

Audi and Vag on the other hand will have the engine sitting almost in front of the front axle like a reverse porsche.

>but $4500 for the entire job? Christ.

It takes over a hour to change a fucking lightbulb... Do the math on the labour to rip apart the entire front of the car @ $150 an hour.

That only covers the fronts, which are 10x easier than the rears. That's where 3/4 of the labor money is going.
You also have the worst A4 ever made. Worst body with the worst engine in terms of both reliability and serviceability. I recommend setting it on fire before one of your cats fails.

Even then it only take about an hour to remove the core support and that's if you do it slowly for the first time. Most Audi timing belts bill out at around 4-5 hours and I can have them done in 2.5 if everything goes right.

Aside from the Ur-Quattro, the only desirable Audi is the newest one. Calling it the iPhone of cars is accurate.

B5 S4s and B7 RS4s would like a word with you.

No they're not, and no they don't (both cost that little to buy and that much to maintain).
Parts cost isn't unreasonable and they're not THAT difficult to work on. Some engine jobs take a bit of time, but it's not as bad as it's made out to be.

And finding an example in good condition that hasn't been standing for 5 years at a reasonable price (or even just 2 of those 3 criteria) is rather hard in my country (Switzerland). A super rich friend of mine recently told me he used to have a facelift one but sold it for 1100 bucks to a garage when it wouldn't start reliably in the cold. Just 110k km on it too, I was pretty upset.

>Their engineering team is fucking retarded.

Stopped right there.
Go to Audi - get a job - do it better.

Yeah the engineers of one of the biggest car brands on the entire world which is also PREMIUM SEGMENT are retarded but some guy on a chinese card trading bord is so much better at building engines.

You got no fucking idea