Why don't mechanics get paid like surgeons and vice versa?

Why don't mechanics get paid like surgeons and vice versa?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-5lzGk7dgCQ
youtube.com/watch?v=zwwPtKiIn4M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

one is your life and one is your car you stupid high mother rfucker

Because Pablo can do mechanic shit but can't do surgeon shit

Are you serious? Although I have always stated they are the same one just knows about internal organs and the other knows about internal combustion.
>Que comedic drums

In a car garage, where a famous heart surgeon was waiting for the service manager to take a look at his Mercedes, there was a loud mouthed mechanic who was removing the cylinder heads from the motor of a car. He saw the surgeon waiting and lured him into an argument.

He asked the doc after straightening up and wiping his hands on a rag, "Look at this car i'm working on. I also open hearts, take valves out, grind them, put in new parts, and when I finish this baby will purr like a kitten. So how come you get the big bucks, when you and I are doing basically the same work?"

The surgeon very calmly leaned over and whispered to the loudmouth mechanic, "Try doing it with the engine running."

Technically once you take into consideration the 10 years of schooling where you didn't work and the $500k in student loans, A mechanic at $25 an hour makes more.

If you own a busy, fully paid for shop you'll be in the $100k-$200k range. ymmv if you live in some shithole with a $7 minimum wage.

The Surgeon still needs a mechanic to fix his Volvo.

because if your mom and your shitbox dies, I'm pretty sure you can't just buy another mom.

How many mechanics live in mansions?

Not many, They usually have a nice ass garage with lots of toys though. Surgeons don't live in mansions either.

Oh, sorry; I just assumed with the half-million-dollar salaries...

And the mechanics having garages twice as big as their houses...

They might once robots replace them.

youtube.com/watch?v=-5lzGk7dgCQ

I mean, I consider houses over 4,000 sq ft to be mansions even if they're not.

I think it's hilarious how poorfags and middle class fags still think doctors are rich.

Being a doctor hasn't been a lucrative career for the past decade or so.

Mansions are usually 10k sq ft+. You need to be making well over 7 figures a year to afford that comfortably most places. 4000 sq ft would be a large upper end family home.

It completely depends on where you live. In more rural parts of the Midwest, you can get a huge mansion for less than a mill.

They make a lot in Canada. Is the 10+ years of school and stress worth it when you can make that much in some trades? Usually they do it because they want to do it, not for the money.

Yeah they're well paid in the US, too. That's not the point.

Only people who don't know shit think doctors are rich. They see them financing new expensive cars and getting big houses which is basically what poor and middle class people think rich people do, and try to emulate resulting in failure.

In reality, that doctor just graduated with 500k of medical debt and has lived like shit for about a decade, so they desperately want to spend lots of their newfound money on the luxuries they've been dreaming of and feel they deserve even if they should really be trying to pay off their student loans.

In other words, high income doesn't matter when you accumulate a shitton of debt from your education and your purchases. That doctor will be paying bills right up until they retire.

You become a doctor, because you want to be a doctor. Not to get rich.

Not lucrative, but not exactly starving either.
Especially if you go to an underserved area (basically everywhere in the south), you're looking at at least 200k annually.

, you have not known suffering until you've tried to operate on a super fat fuck

You are basically shoulder deep in fat and the fat stops being fat halfway up your forearms. So you are basically 18 or 24 inches deep in belly fat while trying to do surgery.

>This
>So much this

I remember my previous job I was working in wealth management. Doctors are some of the worst when it comes to finances.

I still remember the first time I met with a doctor. He was a well respected leader of one of the medical wards in our local hospital. His house was ungodly huge and sat on a picturesque lake in the ritzy part of town. His garage was HUGE and had it all... Sports car, SUVs, quads, jet-skis, and a huge speedboat was sitting on a trailer parked beside it.

His house was more like a museum than a house. It had it all! Huge office, a library, movie theater, pool, and a patio with the largest grill I have ever seen.

I envied this man until my partner and I sat down and learned about his situation. Litterally everything was purchased on credit. The banks know he has the income so they had no trouble giving him the loans.

This doctor was working 60-70 hours a week just to pay his debts. At the end of the day all he wanted to do was sleep, just to wake up early the next morning and do it all over again. You could see how worn down and beaten he was in his eyes. He told me he never had a chance to try out the grill yet because of his late nights at the hospital, and not one toy in the garage has less than an inch of dust built up atop it.

As miserable as it is not being able to have what you want, I would take it any day over having everything you could want, but unable to actually any of it :-\

That's why people need to set their boundaries.

If you know what your job requires of you, why would you waste money on things you won't be able to use?

Lmao, med engi here.
You wont be alive when some robot is able to take a doctors job. Even this "autonomous" robot has a shitton of people feeding it parameters and fine tuning shit every minute.

Because cars are easier to work on and less important.

Nigga i just replace oil myself and not my liver

I would say that the gap is closing. Doctors aren't paid nearly as much as they used to be, due to HMO fuckery.

Meanwhile it takes some real brains to be able to diagnose a modern car when it breaks.

I'd say the big difference these days is mostly perception. I think a lot of people still think of mechanics as the dirty grease monkey from the 60s and 70s that knew just enough to bang on metal and that perception is still with the general populace.

Underrated post

This. Big money is in owning business(es) or having a degree in a field where your head isn't submerged in debt like a surgeon.

Also a good chunk of why doctors are paid more is that the system artificially limits the supply of them.

If you had to jump through all the hoops to go get your ASE certification that doctors have to jump through to get their license, you would have a waiting list every time your car needed repairs and he would be paid $200/hr for his time too. You would probably be paying $300/hr to feed whatever middlemen are riding him.

Why did doctors get a quasi-monopoly from the government and mechanics didn't? I guess they were better at organizing and bribery.

That's dumb. Most cardiac surgery is done under cardiopelegia(stopping of the heart) while the patient is in bypass and cooled down. But that doesn't negate the point.

Because doctors had to live in cyclical poverty for the first third of their adult life and now that they finally have income they want to spend it. It's not the same as a normal person where you graduate and start working with a gradual increase in income(well that's the idea anyway).

You literally go from nothing to one of the highest income individuals in the country.

Again it's not about income. It's about spending. That's what most middle class and poor people don't understand about finance, although I wouldn't expect that on an automotive forum, a hobby where one of the worst financial decisions a middle class person can make.

Surgeons need degrees. Mechanics do not. Anyone can turn a spanner, not everyone can use a scalpel.

>>>www.reddit.com/r/jokes

Lord Krishna, this is so on point.

God, that is horrific. I better tell this to my brother who is in his 5th of medical and he is a huge Lamborghini fan.

>I'm rich and you're not

Cells are just biological engines mang

Well, the penalty for practicing medicine without a license is jail, wheras you can hang your shingle out fixing cars without having any cert at all. That sort of thing, restricts the supply of doctors quite a bit. You can argue, about whether that's a good thing or not but you can't get around there's only so many doctors available because of it.

Considering how expensive health care has become vs. everything else, perhaps it's time to rethink this artificial restriction of supply. I know, that's crazy talk.

I don't buy that for a second.

youtube.com/watch?v=zwwPtKiIn4M

Why donĀ“t get bus drivers paid like pilots?

>Implying mechanics can work with human neurology

Yeah. The people who will be beaming in will be Pajeets in Pooland fluent in english. That's what this "robotics" is really going to enable. AI driven stuff will come later, or not at all, depends on how cost effective using Pajeet-driven robots are.

Bus drivers are paid more

Engineers design cars to fail safe.
Humans have little to no fail safe.

some do. my mechanic has a million dollar house

NYMTA bus drivers get paid $30 or so an hour, but the process to get into it is strict, training is worse, and then you have to deal with 25 years of shitskins and going no faster than 15 MPH on average

>Anyone can turn a spanner
you'd be surprised

but I see your point.

The rest of the body doesn't stop

It's expensive as fuck to train a new doctor, the liabilities alone are ridiculous.
>Ono I feel a little sore after my surgery, I'm gonna sue you for $1 million!

>$500k student loans
>$300k salary after residency
Should only take a couple years

Isn't the flow of doctors artificially restricted?

Yep. AMA.
Mises.org talks at great length about this.
Steadily increasing amount of qualified applicants applying to med school but acceptance is relatively constant...

>implying that is guaranteed
There is something called competition in an oversaturated market

Yeah, you gotta git gud because only the best should have people's lives in their hands

I agree that the question is stupid but let me take the bait.

>create electric machine that keeps the flywheel and the engine moving while not under its own weight to keep the car working

That's pretty much what a heart surgery is anyways.

>trusting black doctors
Seen this before but it always gets me.
Not even once.

Thanks for saying this my dude, i work in a Honda dealer as a tech and i have to be a mechanic and electrical wizard to fix anything on these new cars. All the computers and wires inhabit every corner of the chassis, when i fix it i feel so accomplished and happy, but it all washes away when i overhear the whiny customer
>why did it take so long to fix muh car, it shouldn't cost this much and take this much time to fix it.
little do they know the problem was behind the dash under the heater core in a mess of wires and it paid 4.4 hours when it probably took 8-9. but the customer does care about that

I dont think people have the SAME concept. At least not in my country since car tech here hasn't evolved due to economic struggles until like the early 90's. Up until then fuel injection was a dream and most cars were still carbed.

Now everything is advanced and tech and shit and no one questions mechanics here.

But yeah, i know what you mean. In the mechanic school i am going i dont know if they are also trying to subtly partially train me as an engineer since they want to make sure that students learn everything about cars, what parts are, how to fix them, why are they there and how do they work.