1 month until the model 3 goes on sale

1 month until the model 3 goes on sale

Factory has the ability to produce 10k cars a week

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/elonmusk/status/880679414274691073
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>this kills the ICE

Anyone interested in knowing how this car will actually handle? With RWD, if it's < 4000 lbs and all the weight sits at the bottom, can we hope that it handles at least as well as a modern BMW 3 series?

Obviously can't expect Tesla to work miracles with no experience in suspension tuning, but I hope this car has some driving personality because the RWD combined with EV torque sounds like it has potential to be fun, at least on paper.

driving isn't "fun"

With new Teslas I'm glad we have mandatory front license plates over here.
They're extremely boring cars to see as it is but without front plates they're downright ugly.

What is? Bench racing?

It's really appealing to average people that just want a super reliable daily driver. At most they'll need air filters, tires, windshield wipers, and after a few years some ball joints and tie rods. They have electric steering racks, and even the brake pads last longer thanks to regenerative braking.

Most shops profit from replacing various gaskets, spark plugs, brake pads, timing belts, exhaust systems, cooling systems, fuel/oil filters, clutches, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, various hoses, oxygen sensors, fuel pumps, and valve adjustments. If i was a mechanic i would be trying to find work at an EV dealership.

I've already talked with some Tesla guys. It's going to be an electric Civic. The battery is really weak for any sort of performance.

Man, those are some sweet sources you have.

why are you here

You keep posting this meme when Tesla had to extend their warranty to 8 years because the S and X is such a pile of shit and has stated their on site repair service will be overwhelmed with the 3 coming out.

Yeah like Tesla employees want to come out in full light and say it. Just look at any other electric car its size and price. They are all boring econoboxes.

Well my Tesla employees say it's an awesome car. My anonymous sources are better than your anonymous sources.

wouldn't it make more sense to use the same motor as the S, and save money on the platform and batteries? that way motor service is simplified. it would also make the smaller models faster than the single motor S
my dad works at Nintendo

bolt looks like a better option, at least it has something that reassembles actual interior

can confirm after driving one, it's no where near model S power
It's not bad though, not like it's going to be prius slow

I don't think it's a meme, it applies to all electric vehicles.

Just like electric RC cars are more reliable than nitro powered ones.

That's because they run on Nitro you fucking dumbass.

that's partly because electric RC doesn't need torque until you pass 1/6 scale. most 1/5 and 1/4 cars are 2 stroke gas, and Nitro didn't have anyone actually developing the platform because the manufacturers didn't have the money to do it.

And if they ran on gasoline they wouldn't get worn out from friction and heat? It's the same concept.

That's because nitro cars run at 13k RPM on small as fuck engines. They wear out very quickly.

So internal combustion engines don't wear out faster than AC motors? I find that hard to believe.

AC motors do wear out. And their batteries wear faster than engines.

If electric is so great why don't you have one?

AC motors wear out batteries while engines don't wear gas tanks.
also that image doesn't take into account the power grid.

Again, we're talking about a 2-stroke engine that runs on an alchohol/nitromethane/oil mix and not a gas ICE. Not only that, but we're talking about an engine that's ~3cc's. They're tiny, have tiny, fiddly parts, brass piston sleeves (I have no idea if these help or hurt long-term longevity) and don't even fucking use spark plugs.

>AC motors wear out batteries while engines don't wear gas tanks.

They do fuel filters, fuel pumps, fuel hoses, and fuel injectors.

so do water jackets and PWM controllers, but I wasn't talking about that

I live in Fremont and know people who work at NUMMI. They like the prototypes but have serious doubts about producing these in the numbers that are flying around in the press. Tesla still does way too much by hand, and they've burned out their workers this past year - hence some notable build quality issues with Model S and Xs recently.

Tesla's workers wants to unionize too. That's going to be a lot of fun for them lol

BOI does that car look depressing to be in

its like that scene in the matrix where neo's mouth melts together

Tesla workers do not want to unionize - the union wants Tesla to unionize and had several non Tesla employees who were subcontracted to work in the factory try to say that was the case.

cant wait. either they fuck it up and their stock price plummets, allowing me to greatly increase my position in them, or they fucking nail it and it goes through the roof and i laugh all the way to moneytown

>investing in a meme

Equating our lord and savior Elon Musk to a meme

>Most shops profit from replacing various gaskets, spark plugs, brake pads, timing belts, exhaust systems, cooling systems, fuel/oil filters, clutches, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, various hoses, oxygen sensors, fuel pumps, and valve adjustments. If i was a mechanic i would be trying to find work at an EV dealership.
In the next 10 years, the average wrench cuck is going to start feeling the heat. Repair shops will close.

Hi CNN!

Who cares, you can make $12 an hour anywhere. If you can change the oil in a car at a jiffy lube, you can change the oil in a fryalator at an Applebee's.

Why? You'd be broke. No work to do on them.

Electric cars still need tires, brakes, bearings, suspension, HVAC work, safety compliance inspections, not to mention all the fucking electronics - If you majored in electrical engineering and took a side job as a mechanic you could make insane money just because a huge portion of technicians are stuck 20 years in the past when it comes to dealing with computerized engine and interior gadgetry.

>sitting on a car in weather warm enough to dress like that, while dressed like that

If you only knew

Tesla tech here, the electrical diag isn't that much different than other luxury cars, same CAN bus, LIN, signal, and various DC voltages. The only thing HV adds is isolation and HVIL, those are present on hybrids as well though so techs across many brands are familiar. You do have to be comfortable with some computer related stuff but you certainly don't need an EE degree. Also, EEs know very little outside what they specialize in, a 20 year Mercedes tech is going to have a much easier time working on a Tesla than any EE by a huge margin.

>EEs know very little outside what they specialize in, a 20 year Mercedes tech is going to have a much easier time working on a Tesla than any EE by a huge margin.
thats a really silly thing to say, for a number of reasons.

>the electrical diag isn't that much different than other luxury cars
the interface is shit and doesn't use OBDII for anything useful

A couple years ago, the UAW tried to get support for unionization and everyone was like, "No, we're doing fine without you. Go away."

Things are less fine now, the point that Tesla's worried that the workers will say yes. So Tesla's turned their weekly floor meetings to inane pep rallies and they're pushing everyone to sign anti-UAW forms. Basically loyalty oaths.

At the moment I don't think a majority would vote for it due to fear of retaliation and skepticism because the UAW was annoying back when NUMMI was a Toyota/GM plant, but the company's actions are not helping.

It's the truth, I work with people in both camps every day
Your post makes no sense
>the interface
what interface?
>doesn't use OBDII for anything useful
OBDII is a can breakout and a handful of standardized codes. It's 20 year old tech barely useful for simple cars, there would be no benefit to incorporate it in any way on Teslas aside from airbag and abs legal reasons (there is an OBD2 port on the cars).

>weekly floor meetings
Don't exist, nor would that even work considering there are 4 different shifts at the factory

>pushing everyone to sign anti-UAW forms
You have it backwards, the union is lurking around outside the factory trying to get employees to sign them.

$17/hr in San Francisco. They ain't gonna stay loyal for long.

>0-60
>over 5 seconds

>what interface
the physical one that connects the car to the computer
>no benefit
owner diagnostics and repair
those kinds of meeting are perfectly possible, you just have to replicate it for each shift. lots of factories do it.
RIP McD's dollar menu

>It's the truth, I work with people in both camps every day
it isnt really, though, although i can see why you may think that. anyone in any field who does something day in day out for a long period of time should be able to pick up something very similar (working on mercs to working on teslas) fairly easily, compared to someone who may very well have never worked on a car in their life.

if anecdotal evidence is what you want, i cant tell you how many times ive had to explain to 'master certified technicians' how its not only possible to do things to my car which they insist is 'impossible', but walk them through how i did it and how easy it was. nothing wrong with being a tech, i was one for a while, but engineers are engineers for a reason.

What you meant to say is that sitting in the bus isn't fun and/or driving a shitty econobox isn't fun

>implying motors and battery packs wont wear out over 3-5 years of heavy traffic
lel k

>Implying heavy traffic makes any difference

rip battery range and retards abusing them and the battery packs cost 1/2 the value of the car by the time its 2-4 years old or less

constant load changes hurt controllers over time

I also love the fact that Tesla is selling cars directly to consumers. I shouldn't have to haggle with middlemen for a car or motorcycle.

Hopefully the Model 3 sells well and other companies switch to direct-to-consumer sales to compete.

bullshit. Look at the electric cars out there today as an example of how long battery packs can last (And that's old tech) and besides, the costs saved on fuel and maintainence allow you to replace the batteries more often.

In 3-5 years it will be much more cost efficient to buy electric, the model 3 is the beginning of that.

This. Direct to consumer is the only way

I think you underestimate the ability of people to not even bother with the battery. People will buy the electric cars and enjoy their fuel savings and tax breaks and then battery replacement will come along and they'll say "Eh that doesn't need to happen I can't pay for that." I think it'll be just like some people with oil changes and other maintenance services.

>Willingly getting assfucked
>But at least I didn't have to haggle!

I know that feeling from the other side
>be an engineer
>overresearch the shit out of everything before doing it
>"can't do that, the maths say it won't work"
>Bubba does it
>it works

Saturn had fixed prices and everyone loved them

It'll take 20+ years to replace a countries "fleet" of vehicles. And we haven't stopped producing ice vehicles yet. I wouldn't start looking for another job anytime soon.

Haggling is the scam. Do you have to haggle for a kayak or bicycle?

If companies have to compete with each other they have to offer better prices. It's that simple.

This isn't within SF's jurisdiction

I'll probably buy one if I manage to maintain my current income of $10k / month

Yeah and now they don't exist for a reason.

>engines are the least likely thing to fail on a car
>hurr muhhh electric car will be problem free!!!!!

Also going to be a model3 with duel motor and a performance model. You want handling put some coilovers on it

>just put some coil overs on it
So literally just ruin the cars handling?

Yeah, all of the other butthurt GM divisions crying to mommy

It's actually using a better battery than the modelS because it has the latest tech. Over 300+ miles on a charge.

So how do coilovers ruin a cars handling?

Because you're a poorfag who will A) buy chink shit in eBay when you see the price of the real things and B) don't know how to set them up

Companies hate haggling that's why they don't allow it dumbass

>allowing me to greatly increase my position in them

Negro, if they fuck this up they aint coming back.

Bolt has new automatic interior resassebly for when the GM plastic falls off? Tesla BTFO

Has anyone stanced a Tesla? Are we going to see riced Teslas more now?

Tesla owners don't want to void their warranty

>at the burg
these shits multiplying

It's not rocket science and I'm far from poor.

>Factory has the ability to produce 10k cars a week

There's optimistic, there's really optimistic, and there's this. Even the Corolla, a car that Toyota needs to shit out as fast as they can, only averages 5k/week on the largest facilities.

Actually, do the math. 10k/week is ~1429/day, or ~60/hour. That's shitting out exactly 1 car per minute, on an absolute 24/7 schedule, no weekends, no breaks, with no stopping whatsoever. Think for a second if that sounds even remotely realistic.

neigh impossible

meanwhile, the car elevator for the LA tunnel is going to be operational soon.

twitter.com/elonmusk/status/880679414274691073

I can post daddy's car and pretend to be rich too!

I'm in my 40's and that's just one of my cars

14*

>Sell a car to dealer for X
>dealer marks it up 10%
>you go in and tell him him you'll give him 5% mark up and buy the car for the new negotiated price

Or
>car company builds car for X
>company puts car on website for X+20% or in Teslas case like 40-50%.
>you can only buy online without talking to salesmen

Gee, which is better?

>im going to play pretend theorycrafter instead of looking to the past when you could literally drive up to the factory for most brands and buy a car cash in hand for nearly 20% less than dealer pricing
You must be 18 to post on this website.

just wait until real brands start making full electric cars.

It's to late really..the big companies don't even have battery factories or any infrastructure for charging.

That's why Tesla's big play is the gigafactory and the supercharger network. Once they have the latter properly fleshed out, they can more or less exit the car business if they want (or at least not compete for the low margin shit and produce halo cars) and become mostly a high margin parts, tech, and infra play.

lmao underrated

bruh u dumb

>implying that electric motors doesn't slip like lubed cock at low loads, thus having worse efficiency than ICE

lmao timestamp faggot