I'd like to get into car restoration, but I have absolutely no experience and little automotive knowledge...

I'd like to get into car restoration, but I have absolutely no experience and little automotive knowledge. Any tips on how to get started?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UYnySGM9dQA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

So you're about the same level as the average boomer. That's fine.

Just buy an old rusted jalopy, let it sit in your garage for 25 years and blame everyone around you for why it isn't finished yet, then retire and spend your failed son's college fund on a professional restoration.

Then drive around town blasting CCR out the windows at 10 miles under the speed limit, stopping at every Chip Wagon to tell strangers how she took you 25 years to complete, but you finally have your dream car. Don't forget to mention how kids are shitbrained punks and your generation is the best.

Basically this.

Restoring a classic muscle car is a pointless venture now. All the boomers have hoarded all the parts, any shop will charge out the ass because they're tired of seeing these things again and again. If you want a muscle car, buy one already restored. If you want to restore something, get an 80's-90's Jap car.

This desu
I work at a shop that does restorations
Get something with inexpensive parts

>. If you want to restore something, get an 80's-90's Jap car
Get your tetanus shot desu.

>That projection
Is that pic you, autismo?

LOL

This. You can get wrong year muscle v8 swapped with something good for like 10k

Baby boomers are truly a blight. Are there any cars other Jap that are good for beginners? I just have no interest in Asian cars.

Malaise Era cars, the stuff that boomers don't really care for have big engines in them but have anemic power are the next best thing.

after that would turd gens and Foxbodies from the 80's

Yeah, fix your ride first. The skills that you aquire there can be applied to other vehicles.

American shit-barges and trucks are all really easy to restore, assuming they produced enough of them.

>blast CCR and go slow
my life

Restoring cars is fun but expensive, I would learn more about cars before trying though.

THE ANSWER IS ALWAYS CORVAIR

You should just go on CCG at least they actually work on cars.

I realize this is a dumb question, but where would I learn more about cars? There aren't any classes provided at the colleges in my area.

British roadsters. The mgbs in good condition have already shot up in price but you can find a decent one. Don't bother looking for a triumph. The only thing left that's still dirt cheap are sprigets, which are fun in their own right and easy to repair. Just follow the Jay Leno advice and replace everything that's shit with something from this millennium and they run great.

>buy shitheap for $10k
>dump $40k into it for a body off restoration
>sell for $20k

ya get a fiat 124 they made an ass load and the twin cam is sweet

plus girls will think you are cool driving an old italian roadster

The idea is that you do the restoration yourself so you save the money

>"I want to build a house but don't have hands"

Not to piss in your cornflakes, but do you have any idea the investment you'd need in tools alone?
Do you currently work in any kind of trade?
Electrical, HVAC, Plumbing?
Again, not trying to discourage anyone, but don't drop coin unless you can finish what you start.

Class is a meme just buy old GM service manuals and read through them, they are very good at explaining how to fix things and how stuff works. Model cars and engines are also good to just learn how stuff works without actually spending 500$ on an engine to tear down. Personal experience is also a big factor, read up on how to do things then go out and do it yourself.
It takes time and the willingness to learn but eventually you will get it down.
(Classes are not bad if you are rich but you wont learn as much as you think)

I call bullshit on the concept of futility.

Step 1. accept you will spend money, and learn to fabricate.
-Buy a good welder. not a shit welder. A GOOD WELDER. You can do auto repair with a
-You will need to learn how to buy and use shielding gas.

Step 2. Nothing is sacred.
-Fuck the frame, replace it with tube frame sections if you have to.
-Fuck the old rusty pannels, dont be afraid of auto plastic or sheet metal (tin)

All you need is a Vin, and the will to actually create. It wont be bone stock, but it will be yours.

Buy a piece of shit that still runs and slowly fix it up yourself. Find out what's wrong with it and look up how to fix it. Don't take on the whole project at once, it'll never get done.

the nerve strike, he talking about you old timer?

All I know I learned from air-cooled VW

Old Volvos

RCR is that you

You have to admit CCR is the comfiest band

youtube.com/watch?v=UYnySGM9dQA