Volvo appreciation thread

Volvo appreciation thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HxhwiAASMH8
corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364560
youtube.com/watch?v=QWtKSNgPnIA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Been thinking about picking up a second gen V70R and was wondering how good or bad they are as far as maintenance, reliability, repair costs, etc goes. There's only ever a couple for sale on CL at a time, and they usually have 150k+ miles on them. Is that anything to worry about?

One day I'll have my 850.

What's the best year for a 245? I drove one with a manual and I really liked it.

Buying ANY car with 150,000 miles should be something to worry about user

It doesn't really matter, the 240 didn't change much at all in the 30 years they were made.
not a real volvo
FWD

Ignore the tripfag. You want to avoid the ones manufactured from 1978 to 1985, as the wiring harnesses are made with a biodegradable insulation.

>Ignore the tripfag.

I don't like him either, but he has a point; Volvo died when they fell for the FWD meme, turning their simple, easy to repair, and effectively immortal cars into discount MBs to appease soccer moms.

Oh I stopped reading when the fucking furfag who can't drive said the 240 didn't change much. And they were discount MBs more in the RWD days. Today they're like Swedish Audis with 4-bangers.

>I stopped reading when the fucking furfag who can't drive said the 240 didn't change much
They didn't. there's only one 240 haynes manual that covers the entire 30 year run, very little changed at all.
The older ones have nicer tail lights and hoods as well, and the deck lids are flat instead of arched which also looks much better.

740 then, you fucking faggot. Or an awd 850 or one of each. Kill yourself.

>740
faggot
S90 or bust
Did you even read my post? The ones made from 1978 to 1985 have wiring harnesses that rot away and get eaten by mice because they're made of fucking soybeans. Pic related. If you're gonna buy a Volvo from those years make sure the harness has been replaced, same with Mercedes-Benz from 1992 to 1996.

>Kill yourself.
this I can get behind
mrcummy just drive off a cliff already

they were made up to 86 actually, a lot the harnesses were replaced under warranty. 87 plus if you ask me, you get a real 5 speed without push button overdrive.

>you get a real 5 speed without push button overdrive
Isn't the push button overdrive part of the fun?

Ugh.
Assholes.

For what year 240, 88 on are the best if you want to keep it going with junkyard parts.
Too much earlier they rust worst, you really want the Bosch 2.1 or 2,4 jetronic ignition. Wiring on the like pre 86 or so cars is a pain in the dick.

The 91 to 93 manual wagons are 3.1 and not compatible with all the others.

Blower motor is the only thing that's a huge pain on em.

>blower motor
wew lad
so my Mad Max post above was even more relevant?
youtube.com/watch?v=HxhwiAASMH8

They fail a lot is the only unfun part.

If you're going manual, m71 is definitely the only option worth considering.

please end your life

For the HVAC friend.

I know, I was just memeing.
oh, that sucks
also I looked up m71 and found nothing

don't get a second gen v70. ever. they're shit.
the gearbox is shit.
the electronic throttle is shit.
the steering feels shit and unresponsive.
they're ugly compared to a first gen.
get an 850 R or a first gen v70 R AWD if you're gonna get an R model. just stay clear of the second gen.

>notice a newer volvo coupe parked outside work yesterday
>not sure on the model and year but it's new
>even with all the "aggressive" styling, it still looks like an old person car
They just can't get it right.

Not only this but these years also had kjet mechanical fuel injection. While it's pretty reliable, parts for it can be expensive and it will take some research before you attempt to fix anything yourself if something goes wrong. Later models all had the usual electronic fuel injection and an overall updated engine. 78-86 b21 engine, 86-93 b23 engine.

yay volvo, good job with the car with no hood and made to be almost impossible to service yourself

Thanks user, I didn't know about anything else than the wiring. Mrcummy should really off himself. And the user saying they didn't change should reconsider his attitude of meddling with things he doesn't understand.

that image reminds me, turbos and 262s have the pre-78 style harness that doesn't die

Yea, they changed very little mostly small cosmetic stuff coming into the 80s also, but the big updates came around the mid 80s where they updated the engine. Ill tell you straight up, any year will do just fine as long as you dont buy a shit heap. Invest a bit and get a really nice one that someone has taken good care of, that's the best thing you can do. KJet may seem bad at first but its actually really simple and usually doesnt break. Out of the 3 240s I've owned, all had Kjet and not one had any issue with it beyond replacing some vacuum lines. Turbos are pretty good also if you can find one.

This is true, I would advise against getting a 262 though (if you can even find a good one) they had the v6 that was made by renault and was not even close to the redblock in terms of reliability and even performance when up against a turbo redblock. Also pretty sure all 262s were auto which is pretty abysmal.

they're fucking sexy though
yeah? I thought the bullshit spanned across the range

My 240 loves abuse.

Sorry for the quality. Potato phone from far away.

2.3 turbo block swaps right in.

Stay mad that I'm right
>Ill tell you straight up, any year will do just fine as long as you dont buy a shit heap.
So exactly what I've been saying, just worded differently.
Nice.

I'm loving my 2010 s80 v8

>that I'm right
see you hopeless degenerate cuck
kys

lol I'll buy that one with a damaged wiring harness and fix it because I'm not a fucking helpless cuck, get the fuck off this board and get in the garage you loser.
If you let that wiring harness hold you back you can't handle an old car anyways, go lease something new.

Delivered a brand new V90 to a colleague the other day. Nice all around, but it exists in that weird sphere of upscale middle class cars that try to be luxurious and sporty at the same time. I didn't feel like I was in a luxury barge.

>So exactly what I've been saying, just worded differently.
Sort of, basically major changes to the engine and wiring happened in 86, the haynes manual should have all the information for both engines. But yea regarding everything else only the front face really changed.

>hurr durr you can fix it
Why not get something not prone to breaking in the first place? Faggot.
Enjoy your expensive harnesses rebuilt by third parties, furfag.

nope, you could get a m70 in a 262c

wow that looks badass with the projectors and the selective yellow lights

>those seats
hnnngggg max comfy
Renault 25 tier

>implying I even have a single original wire in my Volvo 240
Lol the entire engine is all Chevy wires and the inside is my custom wiring harness.
Go ahead and avoid them, I'll buy them all up and LS swap them and flip them.

Right, I remember now, they did but it's rare (in burgerland anyway). They offered the manual as an option but only for 2 years of its run. I forgot how good they look inside also, you could get lost in those seats.

>LS swap them

>Have 1990 Volvo 244 DL.
>Do trans swap, as old AW70 lost 3rd gear.
>New 250,000 mile junkyard AW70 has no overdrive.

ffs

>Install new Delphi MAF.
>Works fine for 700 miles.
>Get MAF faulty CEL the other day.
>Car acts like engine is going to die at higher speeds

wat the FUCK

God, please execute all tripfags

enjoy your oil leaks, mrcuck

LS doesn't leak oil, old sbc hell yeah, LS, nah.

>t. gm shill
They can call it the LS, but it's still the ol' leaky chevy small block

>coolant leak
???
Probably the radiator

>gm quality

>coolant
corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364560
>under 500 miles
>already leaking oil
top kek

Actually, just looked at the pic, you can see that it's dripping from the radiator and rolling forward under the car

it's OIL
read the link

Have you learned better car control since you spun?

>Thread about volvo
>still manages to devolve into GM shitposting
>Veeky Forums

>damage control

blame the dog fucker tripfag ruining volvos with LS engines

There is nothing wrong with replacing quarts of oil each drive.

Every day you learn something breh

But what about YOU? Brainless fuck

just drive off a cliff already niggerfaggot

Stay mad
You furst

>Daily Reminder

This happened in a Volvo.

probably with one of his shitty GM swaps

It was stock other than the Ford 8.8 axle in the rear

>Spun out a car at 20mph

youtube.com/watch?v=QWtKSNgPnIA

>it was stock other than my ford swap
ahahahahahahaahah

Axle swap?
That makes literally no difference to the cars handling, just increases power handling in preparation for the LS.

>old person car
Honestly, that's one if the endearing things about Volvos. They have such unassuming and practical styling

Look at that squiggly little cuck. I bet his bones would break easy.

>putting a solid axle doesn't impact the handling
top kek

>240
>having IRS

The car came with a fucking dana 30, it's a solid axle stock you tard

>I was just pretending to be retarded guys

lol@the ponytail LS fangirl faggot defending this
I wonder if he'll pull a frosty and get hormone replacement and start pretending he's a woman

beats than be a retard IRL like you, I get the lulz and I don't get the stupidity

>Frosty
>sex change

A-am I being rused? I guess drugs, extreme cold and years of anal rape in jail change a guy

sup alphonse

you aren't, he appeared in /pol/
wrong, I'm just a feral user

>wrong, I'm just a feral user
Get a trip, that way you can't run and hide when you make a retarded post like Trips are truly the strongest people on Veeky Forums, they can't simply run away after being called out on being wrong, they have to either debate or lose.
Anons are all weak.

Lovely. I really want one with the v8 as well. How's the maintenance been?

The only thing a tripcode does is cause the user to start sperging with knee-jerk damage control and shitposting.
I can could on one hand the amount of times a tripfag has apologized and agreed they were wrong in the last month.

It's just a pathetic way of convincing ones-self that they're important and above others, as you've so eloquently put it.

Sure, an user may have nothing to lose, but there's nothing better than calling out a tripfag and watching him squirm.

I understand what you mean but then people just instantly think dogfucker when they see your name. Or in alphonse's case a gay nigger.

>>>/reddit/
tripfags will hang in the day of the rope

Didn't even read it
>but then people just instantly think dogfucker when they see your name
Uhh yeah, that's the fucking point

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Veeky Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

>Debate or lose
Hey, when you're right, you're right.

stay mad, stay fwd nu-volvo
It's not always apparent who wins when dealing with Veeky Forums shitposters, logical fallacies are everywhere.

Lol it's Veeky Forums man, you're either wasting your time having fun with shitposting or you're doing something else.

Assuming you're the faggot that did some painting on his blue miat, I've done got myself a gun, compressor and ghost pearls for my hardtop. Never painted plastic before, any tips?
If you're not no worries, I can never keep track.

Yeah that's me, pearls/metallic are kinda a pain in the ass to get right, you gotta be super consistent with the thinning, the distance, the travel speed, the air pressure, everything man, you gotta be super consistent, any variations make the shit look different in different areas or different coats.
I guess in general just keep your speed and distance even and keep a good overlap, do a crosshatch also maybe to make sure you don't get any striping going, make a coat in one direction like west east then make another north to south you know, that way it's evenly coated even if you didn't overlap perfectly.

>fwd nu-volvo
>projecting

?
The only volvo I own is a 244

Gotcha.
I'll be doing a bunch of test paints on various random shit noone will notice missing - just slightly apprehensive in repainting my 10th anniversary hardtop.

It'll be ghost red on gloss black, so hopefully with incident angles being super narrow it wont be too obvious if I fuck up.
I grabbed some pink holo and black holo flake but IMO it's just too gaudy on a champion red car.

Yeah dude, do test pieces for sure to make sure everything will work correctly and be how you want, definitely.
You got all the prep shit down like priming or you just gonna scuff the stock up and run it?
Also, when doing a metallic you might wanna finish with a higher grit, solid colors 320 is fine but metallic you should finish it off with like 600 before you spray any metallic or the particles will stand up in the coarse scratches and you can see that shit lol.
Always read the tech sheets to get recoat windows, mix ratios, pot times etc etc, follow the tech sheets.
Also use a good respirator and be careful with that stuff. real paintis fucking dangerous, it's not like spray can where you can just bomb a part, it's really bad for you.

Also make sure you COMPLETELY clean your gun every time after using it or switching products up, that involves taking the atomizer off and useing a hex key to take the entire front if it apart, I like to use brake part cleaner to blast it out along with the bottle brush, you gotta make sure the thing is totally clean before you switch product or put it up for storage.
If it's fucked up and the spray pattern is screwed and you got a short pot life you're gonna hate life trying to fix that in time to make everything work.

My main concern is pearl through a gravity fed 1.4mm tip, Sagola ain't no Devilbiss but it's still a few bucks.
The factory paint was pretty rubbish, as they are, so I'm not yet versed on what to lay down to get the surface flat for priming since it's plastic. Really hard to find info on spraying a hard top properly, thickness of plastic etc. I used to be a steel/ally polisher by trade, plastic is a whole new area for me - it bunches up in sandpaper and bogs wheels AFAIK.
Tech sheets seem to be reiterated in every single video, so I'm in no rush to hurry it along.
Definitely getting respiration, did a few months fiberglassing hulls in my youth. I've got a 500w extractor fan, some thick PVC and an old gazebo. It'll look like a professional setup lol.