What went wrong?

What went wrong?

>Chrysler

its that simple

Chrysler

Mitsubishi.

Nothing, it was quite popular. The North American analogy to the Twongi considering Americans love coupes and sedans so much.

fit and finish and some poor styling. Otherwise it could have been a decent econobox.

They sold a fuckload of them, To mostly immigrants and Dindu's though. That's why there's none of them left. They weren't horrible cars if you didn't get a lemon (which 70% of them were) and took care of it. With ~150hp and ~2500lbs they're still faster than a Civic of that era.

It didn't look like the concept.

W H O A H

Smalltime.

WAYO

>poor styling
are you kidding? Even if you dislike '90s aero bubble, It has gorgeous proportions. Every car nowadays has a fat rear quarter panel and tall trunk that make the rear tire look small and disproportionate.

I think these fuckers came with faded headlights straight from the factory.

1st gens are great, my first was a 99 sohc with 3 speed auto

Drove 6 years and over 60k miles and only had one issue ever

Great car, if I ever go flat broke I'll gladly get another

considering how many of those things were sold and how popular they were new it amazes me how few of them I see now in New England. Its like some massive plague just removed them from existence.

The shitbox holocaust took them.

Power windows in the front.
Manual ones in the back.

This makes me so fucking mad, it used 6 be a 200 dollar rally car, with 200 dollars of upgrades you could actually compete.

Now it's close to 1.5k

I see plenty in VT including my own '03.

How has your Neon held up? What do you think of it?

bought it for dirt cheap with 150K have gone probably 5,000 since i bought it 4 months ago. It's a 2.0L SXT. Mine is bright yellow, so people in GTI's and Tiburon GT's love to race. I never expect to win, but i have fun. When you take care of the engine it can deliver okay power. I have never had trouble passing or on an entrance ramp going to 5 or 6k in third gear can get you to 60 pretty fast. It beat my 2.5L automatic outback.

Dude, it's fucking ugly.

Near 100% headgasket failure on their engines. Chrysler failed to admit they fucked up

I completely disagree. Of all the cars Chrysler was making at the time, the Neon looks the best. Everything else was a retarded spaceship with wheels

I'm so confused. Some people say the 2.0 is a great engine with good power and some say it's was an absolute lemon. What gives

>the most miserable American car you can get BTFO most European cars

>the most miserable European car you can get BTFO all American cars
Fixed.

If the European were involved in the neon it must explain why it was garbage but in term of styling the first gen twingo BTFO everything.

Chryslers have almost always been the vehicle you buy if you don't mind doing your own maintenance, 'cause they're usually made poorly.

but it was also a cheap car, so people just drove the piss out of them until the engine blew up.

Nothing anyone was making at that point in time looked good.

It's a meme. besides a camshaft sensor I don't know of any other issues mine had and it is at 150k

150k is nothing for a modern engine.

*blocks your path*

Chryslers were pretty neat looking actually, at least they didn`t try to copy other cars. Too bad they are mostly turds.

Road salt cleanses all old cars

Couldn't meet the ratchet CAFE standards, which were squarely targeted on cars like that. So they repackaged it as the - PT Cruiser, which they were able to sell in a different less tough CAFE category for another 10 or so years. And then that started being too tough and they discontinued it.

That's always been Chrysler's target market - niggers.

I thought he was talking about cash4clunkers

There were two versions of the 2.0, the SOHC and the DOHC, the SOHC in the first gen made around 130hp while the DOHC made about 150
The engines themselves are reliable if you aren't melanin enriched and can maintain an engine, a manual Neon that's had decent maintenance will run forever

Eric O commented on a neon in his shop and he said something like "I've never seen one of these that isn't burning oil"

And what 4 cylinder mass produced engine from the 90s doesn't burn oil? None of them
>believing YouTubers
Seriously m8?

I think the Neon's fuel economy was too high to qualify for C4C.

The Neon is well known for head gasket failures

no not c4c. I know they rusted well around here because they came stock with failed clear coat. Just amazes me that they were everywhere and then disappeared over the last 7 years or so. Same with the PT cruiser.

Not all PT cruisers are gone... mine is getting cancer of the wheel wells, though :(

Fuck New England road salt

Yeah sadly the rust destroys them. Although same could be said about any european car past 1995. Id say its the "prestige" that makes people buy 20 year old audi and bmw instead of this. I bought a second gen auto 2.0 16v for 600 euro with 89k original mileage this year. Didnt expect this car to be this good and cheap to repair. It feels a lot more luxurious than bmw 3 series of the same age and its more reliable, let alone its direct rivals-hyundai and citroen

>It feels more luxurious than bmw 3 series of the same age
Are we still talking about a first gen Neon?

No, as I said I have a second gen. Although 1st gens are still alive and in better condition than bmw of that era :D

Owner of 2 first gen neons here. The only real downside as an econobox is the crash saftey. Even with the 3speed auto and 400 extra lbs in the back and a bad o2 sensor I still manage 21mpg delivering pizzas. They handle great. Their slow overall, but faster than an equivalent year civic. If you beat on them and neglect maintenance they will start burning oil around 150k miles but well taken care of can hit 200k city miles. Parts are the cheapest of almost any car I know of. There is some aftermarket for them and if your mechanically inclined you can swap in a 2.4srt4 or 2.4 stratus dohc for some extra hp.
Not as big a fan of the 2nd gens as they are 350lbs heavier, dont handle as well (still ok handling though) and the 4speed auto in second gens is the weak point if you drive it hard it will break at 165k-ish miles. However 2nd gens are safer, provide a little more "luxury" feel and will still go 200k+ if taken care of
Veeky Forums just hates on them beacuse they are not japenese and group them in with the FCA reliability meme

well said user.
I hope mine will serve me well, at the moment Im in love with it.