Hey goys. I'm trying to get a 60s or early 70s American muscle car as my first car...

Hey goys. I'm trying to get a 60s or early 70s American muscle car as my first car. What's the best bang for my buck if I'm trying to keep it under 20k? Preferably 10-15k, though I'd go higher if it's cool enough.

Here are some other criteria:
>no clones
>I'm willing to put in work if my total costs can remain low
>maximum horsepower
>I realize that I probably can't get a 68 charger or 454 Chevelle, but I'd like to get the most iconic car possible for the price

Other urls found in this thread:

cars-on-line.com/
cars-on-line.com/gen3-cars/col1/posting/88990
cars-on-line.com/gen3-cars/col1/posting/37143
streetsideclassics.com/vehicles/0325-tpa/1967-chevrolet-chevy-ii-nova-station-wagon
autowp.ru/mercury/park_lane/1966/breezeway_sedan/pictures/qfvh14/
storm.oldcarmanualproject.com/oldsmobile/1961/61OLDSSF0405e.jpg
cedarrapids.craigslist.org/cto/6187740337.html
youtube.com/watch?v=gEPmA3USJdI
kinionautosalesandservice.com/1971_Ford_Mustang_Clarence_IA_10383110.veh
youtube.com/watch?v=OyuAXsqaqfA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

you cant drive a 60s-70s muscle car

The lesser known branches of the 'Big 3' often yield lower prices.

Look for a Plymouth.

I'm trying to get one of the moving ones with wheels.

67-70 mustang. Both styles are good. Stay away from Challengers though.
This is inherently wrong.

Corvairs are your best bet because you can get them for 2-3k normally.
Darts are also great because they are alot lighter than other similar cars and cheaper as well.
Mid 70's novas are also nice because you can literally just bolt in an LS and with a few other simple mods you will get rolling.
AMC cars are also not as pricy as GM or ford tends to be so check out a swinger or a AMX

1970 or 1971 Dodge Demon. Get one with a V8 because then it'll have the proper front end to take any V8 engine swap. Then later on you can put a 360 or a more powerful 340 in it.

why would you want to torture yourself with something so shit to start with

I dont think you realize how awful they are especially as a daily driver

it will be slow
ride like shit
get horrible mileage
and require more maintenance than a more modern car to keep running worth a shit

just get some cheap V8 shitbox like a Nova Dart or Maverick

if youre lucky you can find a Satellite and something like an AMC for an actual cheap muscle car

You want a pony car not a muscle car

But if you want an actual muscle car
Plymouth fury
Dodge Monaco
Chrysler 300 series
Dodge coronet
Chev nova
Chev impala
Ford galaxie
Ford fairlane

Besides, no way in hell do you want a muscle car to be your only form of transport. Especially as a first car. Get a reliable beater (3k civic lol) and the muscle as a weekender

Amc javelin

>AMC
>first car
You do realize getting parts for most AMCs is extremely difficult and expensive, yeah?

Not really, i have a 73 and parts are easy to come by

Any mopar is gonna be ridiculously over priced to purchase compared to either a chevy or a ford, not to mention performance parts are just as pricey too.

No, I totally want a muscle car and it will be my only form of transport. I also only expect 10mpg out of it and that is completely fine with me. It's just that I've been browsing all the options for over a week now and I still don't really know what should be considered "the standard" at my asking price. There has to be something that stands out from the rest. Maybe a Plymouth Roadrunner? Idk ...

Would most cars have the displacement to accomodate something like an LS6 if I wanted to rice out later on?

if you want a GM, generally speaking oldsmobiles and buicks are cheaper than pontiacs and especially chevrolets

I am guessing this is a troll account, but I have been DDing a classic for almost five years now and only one of the things you said was correct (mileage is a bitch)

Just get a corvair they are cheap, handle well, and have great MPG.

Yes. LS engines are quite small. But I wouldn't ruin a Mopar with an LS engine. If you want a LS it would be better to get a 2004-2006 GTO, C5 corvette, G8, 2004-2007 CTS-V because a modern chassis is 10 times better.

An ls will bolt into any old small block chevy mounts. If you are doing a swap get a nova it will save you a lot of time and money.

I do like the nova, though I will say money isn't my primary concern.

I'm really just wanting to ensure that the car I choose will be something I can take pride in for years to come. Whether it's $0 or $19,999 wouldn't really matter if I can fulfill that first condition. I want to maintain this car for quite a while.

In my opinion any car can make you proud for various reasons. My suggestion is to look around the internet for a car that speaks to you. Everytime I drive my car I fall in love with it again, that's the feeling you need to find out about.

Honestly the best criteria would be a car that maximizes:
>BHP+upgradeability
>general historical prestige
If you were compiling your own top 10 list solely on those two factors, what car would be the best that also manges to fall in my price range?

>cars-on-line.com/

>Where are you going to get non-ethanol gas ?
>The 10-15% ethanol gas will eat up the old gas lines, gas will leak on to the exhaust manifold and you and your date will burn to death.

Fuck off boomer. Nobody here wants to pay $117,000 for your tastless 70 Charger restomod or Challenger t/a """""tribute"""""

71 Cuda is my carfu. One day I'll find some old fart with one that sat in a garage.

Scroll down dummy. Search.
>cars-on-line.com/gen3-cars/col1/posting/88990

>64 Dart
>slant 6
>$8k
No.

Corvette Station Wagon ?
cars-on-line.com/gen3-cars/col1/posting/37143

streetsideclassics.com/vehicles/0325-tpa/1967-chevrolet-chevy-ii-nova-station-wagon

Boomers sure know how to turn a $60,000 car into a $10,000 and then ask $26,500 for it.

The back glass rolled down behind the back seat with the push of a button
autowp.ru/mercury/park_lane/1966/breezeway_sedan/pictures/qfvh14/

1. 1969, 1970-73, 1977-78 Firebird
2. Any GTO
4 1960-1967 corvair
5.1968-74 camaro
6.1969 "fastback" Mustang
7.1968-1972 Cutlass/442
8.1968 Barracuda
9. 70 AMC rambler
10.1968-1969 Charger

Honorable mentions
1970 Dart Swinger
1969-74 NOVA
1969 Cornet
1963 tempest
All the other countless cars in the world

1961 Oldsmobile Starfire.
>Seats swiveled toward the door to make it easier to get out.
>Steering wheel would move toward the middle of the car after you flipped a lever to make it easier to get out.
>storm.oldcarmanualproject.com/oldsmobile/1961/61OLDSSF0405e.jpg

Chevrolet
Ford
Pontiac
Dodge
Oldsmobile
Buick
Cadillac

Anything with a small block chevy or small block ford will be cheapest and easiest to work on. I had to wait a week for head gaskets for my 455 Pontiac.
Best starter hot rod look for a mid 70s nova.

Get a first gen Mustang, they're really easy to work on. I just got this 1970 Mustang without an engine or transmission for $800. The best part is that it came with the title too, no DMV nightmares getting it registered. Gonna get a 1995 Mustang GT and pull the whole drivetrain out and stick it in this, should bolt in without too many problems.

Sauce?

>$800
How did you pull that off?

I bought this 71 riviera about three years ago from a old man outside of my town for 6k. He just rebuilt the turbo 400 and 455 4barrell. Thing runs like a clock and has been for about two years. There have been a few things I've blended to fix, but it's better to learn how to work on old cars especially if it's your main whip. But gas in the big blocks get expensive on a weekly basis(depends on your daily commute and what not)

Lurking Craigslist several hours a day. The best deals get snapped up in an hour or less.

>literally any engine option open to you
>buying an absolute SHIT TIER powerplant from one of the worst generation Mustangs and shoving it in a best gen Mustang

Holy fuck my man you need to kill yourself immediately. You're worse than a boomer.

Have you considered pulling a V10 out of a ford work van in a junkyard and rebuild it with performance parts for the mustang?

And what else am I supposed to put in it? I'm broke as hell, I can't afford to spend thousands of dollars on an engine swap, fuck you.

Too expensive, I can get a running 5.0 Mustang GT for less than $1000 instead with all the parts needed to make the 70 Mustang run in less than a month. Then I'll build it up over time as I get more money.

So wait until you can afford something better you assclown. Jesus Christ.

>GOTTA WASTE MONEY NOW
>CAN'T SAVE FOR 6 MONTHS
>EVEN THOUGH I HAVE THIS COMPLETELY RUSTY SHELL THAT WILL STILL REQUIRE YEARS OF WORK AND THOUSANDS MORE DOLLARS

Go to a scrapyard and yank a V8 out of an F150 - they're like fucking crabapples they're so common.

Buy a car that comes from far enough south that it doesn't snow but not the desert and not the coast. Even if you have to travel to pick it up. If you're really prepared to spend $20,000 to get a good example of something. I think a Nova is a good choice BUT

If you are willing to spend that much and you want a classic car that is also reliable I suggest checking out the keyword "restomod" on your search. These are starting to be a bit meme taxed (most will be over $20,000) but they can give you a good idea of what's a possible build target or you might get lucky and find one you like that's inside your budget.

>restomod
Unironically kill yourself

You make it sound so fucking easy.

>hurr durr just buy a junkyard engine and drop it right in bro!

You've never done an engine swap before, have you? Do you have any fucking idea how much of a pain in the ass it'll be to fab up motor mounts, transmission mounts, getting the right driveshaft to make it even work with the rear end, assuming it's compatible to begin with? And then there's the fucking wiring, the cooling system, so much fucking shit to do!

Jesus fucking Christ, why is Veeky Forums full of retards who think engine swaps are easy???

Mmmmm check out this beautiful Hemi Cuda convertible. 6.1 SRT8 shaker out of a 2007 Charger.

Oh goody, the perfect place to ask

1982 Ford Mustang. Good daily driver? Someone wants to buy my 2002 Subaru Legacy Wagon, and I want something that makes my wee wee tickle. I found a fox body I want

One pic looks like a shit weld spot. That won't be a problem because I have about 3 friends that are gods at welding with Lincoln welders.

But anyway, I can do my own oil changes. I have never done anything major to the engines of my cars, and don't have anywhere to do any major engine work other than begging my dad for garage space because my mom doesn't have shit for a garage.

cedarrapids.craigslist.org/cto/6187740337.html

That's not a 442, that's a Cutlass Supreme.

jesus fuck, what a heap of shit.

I see. I guess i'll ignore that mustang then. I just want a somewhat fun rwd car. Fiero prehaps?

lmao not him but some year model F trucks have the same motor and gearbox as your rustang. Therefore you wont need to change anything

Don't get an old car if you don't know how to wrench, they will need too much work and you don't have enough experience yet to fix it when something inevitably goes wrong. Your first priority is having a car that can run fine even if it's boring, project cars like that Mustang are something you only get if you already have a lot of wrenching experience, time and most importantly money to sink into it.

It would be pretty reliable as a daily, make sure the battery is in good shape since cammed carbed ones can be a little stubborn when they're cold. Be aware that it doesn't have AC and it's not going to be great in the snow even with snow tires. It does appear to have AC but I'm not sure if it'll work with modern coolant, mine never had it from the factory. That price is pretty high too I assume your Legacy isn't worth that much though.

You have a point. I will say even though I don't know how to wrench, I can still learn and have help. However, your point still stands that I don't know myself.

I'll probably just get a truck or something. I have a year until I get my associates.

Thanks for your response, but I think i'll wait till next year when I'm done with college to get something like a mustang.

Yeah but I want something more modern while being cheap. The 1994-1995 Mustang 5.0 V8s drop into the 69-70 Mustang engine bays without even having to mess with the motor mounts. I can get a running 5.0 Mustang for less than $1000.

The Windsor in the Foxbody isnt a modern design, But it does have EFI which just means more wiring and computer bullshit. Almost any Windsor or Clevo out of any car would bolt in. You could buy off the shelf mounts for a Big Block even and that would align the engine for a stock driveshaft/trans

split bumper camaro
can get a 302, 350, or 396 and they're pre smog so you can open it up and let it breathe

>click on picture
>loud dadrock starts playing

>I want a first gen mustang
>but I'm too lazy to properly restore one
>I just want something cheap and easy

I can appreciate ur mum as much as the next guy, but sometimes cheap and easy isn't the best solution. Stop being a boiracing niggerfaggot and do it properly. There's only so many first gen bodies left, don't ruin them with your goddamn nigger rigged ideas.

you know you like it
youtube.com/watch?v=gEPmA3USJdI

No I'm dead set on EFI even if I have to deal with the wiring, this is going to be a restomod.

Do it "properly"? What's that supposed to mean? Don't tell me you're one of those snobs obsessed with keeping things original. This is a 70 coupe, it's not rare.

Did you get touched in your naughty places by a carb when you were a kid?

It didn't run when parked, didnt know what he got and there were barely any tires left to kick.

A lot of work != difficult

not a fan of the wheel but otherwise nice, i'd drive it

>Corvairs are your best bet because you can get them for 2-3k normally.
Corvairs aren't muscle cars though.

>1970 or 1971 Dodge Demon.
He said best bang for his buck.
>I also only expect 10mpg out of it and that is completely fine with me.
You can get way more out of it if you don't romp on the pedal all day. That's easier said than done though.

gey

kinionautosalesandservice.com/1971_Ford_Mustang_Clarence_IA_10383110.veh

>cedarrapids.craigslist.org/cto/6187740337.html

That car is ready for the scrap yard with how hacked up it is.

Where? That's my dream project car

youtube.com/watch?v=OyuAXsqaqfA

Your right, they are much cooler

Find a Coronet station wagon if you can.
>383 or 440 low compression (non-magnum) big block that can easily be 350-400 hp with work
>Bulletproof 727 transmission if under 600hp and in good shape, for an auto its a legend
>Go for a lower ratio rear end if you can
>Literally a fuckton of room
>Upgrade suspention if you want it to not drive like a yacht
These aren't that common but are usually pretty cheap because muscle car guys don't like wagons as much as they should.

I found one with not much rust that drove and everything for 3k. Should've bought it.