Waterview tunnel has 18 speed cameras

The new waterview tunnel that links the western and south western motorways will have 18 speed cameras to enforce a max speed of 80 at all times.

This just ads to a list of pathetic fuck ups so far:
>emergency exits just go into the other tunnel
>jet fan system isn't powerful enough to cope with exhaust fumes of max traffic, so traffic into the traffic is regulated by...
>Fucking ramp signals! Yes the brand new section of tunnel has ramp signals at either end
>if a traffic jam forms in the tunnel, it will need to be evacuated. ie everyone turns off their cars and walks out
>they named it waterview tunnel. Which is both ironic now, and will be even more so when the fire suppression system causes it to flood

I was hoping this tunnel would be sick for some late night crusing and pulls, but now that "no fun allowed at any time ever" has been implemented I'll be avoiding this pile of shit at all times. Hopefully the traffic jams it will cause don't affect my commute.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterview_Tunnel
youtube.com/watch?v=poJiiu2itbI&t=0s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I might take my plates off again tonight and go have a look

Is it open yet?

I don't think so. They are going to open it secretly so no big queues form

What the fuck kind of retarded engineers couldn't even design their tunnel to handle vehicle exhaust? Did nobody think to stop its development when they realized this?

You would be amazed at the incompetence of Auckland transport. These are the people who made the Auckland harbour bridge 4 lanes and bought more from China

Why are we so terrible at roading
>Wellington "smart motorway"
>Makes my commute 30 minutes longer for over a year while they construct it
>Saves me no time when it opens
>Speed changes "with traffic flow"
>Gets it constantly wrong (100kmph when there's a traffic jam, 60kmph when traffic is flowing)
>Cops wait to ticket people when the speed limits drop

Even if the motorway had 100 lanes it wouldn't make a difference. At the end you merge down to 2 lanes, and then down to 1 for the majority of your trip to the airport. It's a joke. It's a shame the rich pricks decided not to do a basin flyover because it would make their houses drop a little in price.

Fun fact
>NZ transport brought a huge amount of houses to make 2 lanes to the airport possible
>Now their not allowed to, they rent them out for a profit
>Some of them they just leave empty despite there being a housing crisis (3 apartments with close to 30 units)
>Media refuse to report on it.

Lol if it was 100 lanes there would be one car driven by an Asian with blinkers on driving at 90 in every single one blocking the whole thing

>>if a traffic jam forms in the tunnel, it will need to be evacuated. ie everyone turns off their cars and walks out
w h a t

Must be nice living in a country with no rights

fear not
for the cancer spreads

Well we can import whatever we want, and my z has no emissions equipment. At all. And its completely legal.

Also
>implying this couldn't happen in the states

Well the jet fans can't cope with all that exhaust, so there would be a risk of everyone getting CO poisoning if they got stuck in a traffic jam. It's only designed for spaced free flowing traffic

Speed cameras can't happen in the states because we're a free country

They have shit like this on the pacific highway (connecting NSW with QLD), where you pass one set of cameras, then another 100km's later and if you exceed an average time you get fined. I've heard it only applies to trucks but its still pretty bullshit.

It's called photoradar I believe and it's been in Europe forever. It's the main reason plate hiders are a thing

I don't believe you. I agree that they have no place in the world but some states must have them.

I believe it's to do with being able to face your accuser and a camera can't go to court. I don't see why a cop couldn't go in the cameras place tho

Most of Italy's highways are monitored by a network of those average speed cameras. There is one every two or three kilometers in the most dense areas and they also act as normal speed cameras if needed.

Thankfully they don't adjust the limit with traffic or weather condition so they are always set for the max 130km/h, but still..

They suck nigger dicks because there is absolutely no way around them besides hiding your plates.
Also they measure the average between every camera, not just on the whole highway or between tolls, so you can't do a short run at say 200 followed by a run at 60 or a brief stop at a service station to keep your average legal, unless you make it all happen in the very short distance between cameras, which is extremely unpractical.

Pretty much every major highway has those and they plan on spreading the network everywhere possible.

Speed cameras can't happen in the US because you're behind the times and still prefer getting pulled over by meatheads three feet from semi trucks blasting by. It's more dangerous and less efficient.

Well that and we'd shoot them.

>It's more dangerous and less efficient.
And letting Ahmed fuck your wife for you is more efficient than doing it yourself, what's your point?

You must not live in Maryland or Washington, DC.

A few states can have them (ie laws have been passed to allow their use), but I don't think they actually use them.

You can contest a speed camera ticket in court.

>drive in Germany
>run speed camera
>continue about my business
>get 20 bucks fine in the mail a few weeks later

>drive in US
>go slightly over the speed limit
>meathead cop almost runs me off the road
>WADDAYA THINK YER DOIN YA JOHNNY FOREIGNER, I DON'T LIKE YER FACE AND YER RENTAL CAR SO IM GONNA FINE YA 280 BUCKS, SUCK IT UP, I ONLY LET PRETTY WOMEN AND LOCALS GO WITH A WARNING, SHIT SUCKS BUT THAT'S LIFE FOR YA, IT'S THE LLLLAAAAWWWW, DON'T CROSS THE THIN BLUE LINE, HAHAHA FAGGOT AND DON'T LET ME SEE YOU AGAIN IN MY TOWN

Do you get points on your license in Germany? In the UK you get three points for speeding (get 12 in total and you lose your license), that worries people more than having to pay the fine.

Lmao we have these shitters in England. They drop the speed limit every time they see a crisp packet blowing in the road.

Fucking this
I got my license 6 months ago, meaning for the next 18 months if I get just 2 points I have to retake my fucking piratical AND theory tests

Shit scares me way more than money

You get 1 point if your 21 kph over speed limit (13mph)
2 points if you are over 41 kph over limit.

You can have 8 points max. But they can be reduced.

That means you can always drive 20 more because its just 30€.

>Do you get points on your license in Germany?
There is a points system, but you don't get any points unless you drive more than 20 kph over the limit (outside of cities anyways)

"probation" here is 12 months, can't get ANY points (but as said above, you can get fined for minor speeding infringements)

>In the UK you get three points for speeding
Even for very minor "speeding"?

Found this interesting chart for UK
Speed limit / Min speed for a ticket / Min speed for prosecution
20mph 24mph 35mph
30mph 35mph 50mph
40mph 46mph 66mph
50mph 57mph 76mph
60mph 68mph 86mph
70mph 79mph 96mph
Source: National Police Chiefs’ Council (NPCC)

I'll have you know that sailing the high seas is very serious business laddie. So ye best be passing that test!

Oh I was wrong its 6 points. So I can get caught speeding twice before they revoke

We do have a demerit point system in New Zealand but technically you don't get demerits for a camera fine.
If you were going really fast you will get an angry letter from the po-lice demanding you tell them who was driving so they can punish that person

>thorry ofither, I was at a party and got wasted and my keys were on the table and I think someone borrowed my car but I don't know who. Sos it won't happen again

This is what happens when government and companies simulateounsly fill their ranks with shit heads who lied and bullshited their way through HRs fag ass pointless hiring routine instead of hiring the smart guy who called the HR lady a worthless cunt.

Was that person you user?

So basically outside of America you can't actually drive a car

thanks for a first time visit on Veeky Forums but this is too much

Do it faget.
The camera's wont see you, and report you to the cops who will be waiting for you at the end. I promise.

>>jet fan system isn't powerful enough to cope with exhaust fumes of max traffic, so traffic into the traffic is regulated by...

Cant they just add more fans?

must be nice being able to import your own r-34 skyline

>Why are we so terrible at roading
You keep hiring chinese companies that use auckland front companies.

If you get a speed camera ticket for more than 45 over you get a summons to court and your license is revoked. Less than that and it's just a fine

Not necessarily. I have relations in an Auckland business that was also trying to win that contract. In the end, it was awarded to a German company who would do it for cheaper. If the ducting and placement of the system isn't up to cleanly flowing more volume, adding more power wont solve the issue.
Its likely that the system they designed would be based on the specifications they (wrongly) calculated. It may be their fault, it may be the customers fault, i wouldn't put it passed some smartarse in the planning department for this project thinking they could save a buck.
I wont be using this tunnel, don't need any more tickets.

>have to drive this tunnel tomorrow
>it's the worlds longest stretch with average speed enforcement
JUST

in Australia the cops act like you raped a baby if you go 10 km/h over the limit, they're so condescending. Its all revenue raising but its taboo to talk about it.

Incorrect, I know somebody who got one for doing 22 in a 20, but this is turning into a police state city anyway so no surprise.
t. londoner

>22 in a 20

hasn't he got any poles to pull over for no insurance?

Well it's already got skid marks in it so it's worked for someone

I figured it was something like that. One of those "nobody's fault" situations that beurocrats love

In my usa state, none of my school zones have speed cameras unless there is a chronic problem. So, my city only has 2 schools with speed zone cameras. They are set to save video and photo data at 2 MPH over the speed limit. They passed special zoning speed laws to increase the fines way beyond a normal speeding ticket. It is $249 and up, so no one speeds in those camera zones. We have a no cellphone while driving law, so it's humorous when people try to complain in court about the tickets only to have the judge watch the video and look at the photos. He then slaps on the cellphone violation and bam, the ticket is now much higher and it is mandatory to report to the insurance company.

Is that tank hiding behind a bunch of weed?

>This just ads to a list of pathetic fuck ups so far:

You should add these fuckups to the wikipedia article on the tunnel. That article is very bland like it was written from a promotion brochure. All you need for support is to list some newspapers as the bibliographic references.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterview_Tunnel

>Media refuse to report on it.
Lots of things are that way in the USA too, but that is due to laws passed after our 9/11. The media is required to not stir up social unrest upon request by homeland security. The judge's court order is almost guaranteed since homeland security has its own "pet judges" they can always count on to issue necessary documentation.

Received my first letter fine today. Got shafted two weeks ago doing 78kph in a 70.
I don't even remember it, was probably passing a truck

this
do it NZanon

>getting fined for doing 8kmh over the posted limit
>and in a 70 zone

Holy fuck. As a Canadian (Ontario) who will soon see the return of photo radar...I am genuinely worried.

This fucking dogshit is going to become a reality here as well. Can't wait for my first ticket for 1kmh over the limit.

GOTTA STAY SAFE AFTER ALL.

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE SAFETY.

THINK OF THE CHILDREN.

kek this. Don't forget to stay safe by constantly looking at your dashboard instead of the road.

I once listened to a pig say that he doesn't reduce/waive tickets because modern cars have cruise control. He said there's literally no reason to speed other than you genuinely want to break the law, and therefore he always writes the full ticket and shows up for court dates when people contest them.

Glad that wasn't the cunt who wrote my last ticket, but he did tell me "I like court, it teaches people a lesson and that they need to listen to police when we tell you not to speed".

The level of flagrant dickwaving in this province is getting out of hand, especially with cops. I used to have immense respect for them...now, not so much. Especially those who do traffic enforcement. Fucking overpaid shills.

What communist state do you live in som

Please do it NZanon. You have access to your local papers, so you are able to even make quotes into the wikipedia article. Just make a new subsection there for Problems and describe it as unforeseen performance engineering problems.

>What communist state do you live in som
It's a capitalist state. So that's why ticket prices are high because profit is good.

Germany is heaven for speeding, but it's just about the only place in Europe you get off easy. I remember my €30 fine for 17 over, never paid so quickly.

I got caught doing 191 in a 120 in Belgium, judge fined me €1500 and revoked my license for 6 months.

>mfw moved to the US and haven't paid it to this day, 2 years later

fuck the police lads

One day, you go visit europe on vacation or business, and you get detained at the passport entry check. The computer spits out that you have an EU community fine of €1500 plus interest.

It's in France, that was a 45€ fine and 1 point revoked from my licence (we have 12, 6 if you're a beginner, and each point lost comes back after one year). You start getting fined 5km/h above the speed limit to account for measuring issues.
I don't really mind, I'm just angry that I got caught since I know this road but didn't know there was a speed camera there.
The worst thing about them is that there's now almost no cops on the road, so actually dangerous shit like agressive merging, lane splitting, etc, stays unpunished.

Yeah the file name is meant to be "danktank" but I'm a faggot phoneposter

Yeah I'll make a section called "incompetence" and cite Veeky Forums as a source

get a plate flipper and flip the plate before going in and out.

because the ministry of works is dead
all strategic infrastructure is getting privatised and gutted

At least you can go to England once they finish Brexit.

WAIT WHAT
We're getting photo radar? Is it fucking Wynne virtue-signaling again, after denying making the DVP a toll route? Holy shit, how can one government be so inept regarding roads?

>moved to the US

There's nothing here anymore unless you're some sort of engineer or educator with an advanced degree, why?

or just don't speed?

It sucks to be the one picked out of traffic by the camera.

No, you'll be citing your local newspapers and whatever other official sources of news exists in your area. It's not like the rest of the world sees all the same resources you do. So you can really make that part of the Waterview Tunnel wikipedia article more complete. Right now, it looks like any problems were scrubbed. Sometimes, articles can get scrubbed before an election and then after the election is over, the negative data eventually returns (usually but not always e.g. chinese food toxicity).

i fucking hate 20 zones but most people seem to do 25-30 anyway if there isn't much traffic

>just don't speed

Why are you here?

Keeping with flow of traffic was how I got my ticket in the school zone. I bet there were a ton of tickets that day. But then again, that was 2 years ago when the photo radar was put in, so lots of people drove normally. Now, everyone slows down. I suspect getting hit with those big tickets did the trick.

Yeah whatever cunt I don't give enough of a shit

I've only ever seen a speed camera in this one school zone right next to a highway/industrial area

>"no fun allowed at any time ever"
This. our great cuntry is becumming more and more like ausfailia every day.

Seems pretty boring to me youtube.com/watch?v=poJiiu2itbI&t=0s

Yeah it would be if you didn't drop a fat skid at one end, go WOT with the windows down, and be bouncing off the top speed limiter all the way through the rest

> Media refuses to report it

Mate, you should look into what the parks department does, thats like South America teir corruption

130km....

fuck me we don't even get that. max is 100 here and they're dropping it to 80 soon. fucking australia...

>FORGETTING TO MENTION HOW A GUY WHO RAPED A CHILD GOT LESS TIME IN JAIL THAN THE GUY WHO DID 3 BURNOUTS

Yes, this happened. Thanks judge wendy wilmoth, of victoria.

>mfw Americans are eventually gonna pay supercar money for a literal meme car

rb26 is shit and I regret 95% of the time I owned it
you are actually better off getting an rb25neo and just pretending

>Yeah whatever cunt I don't give enough of a shit
That's why your tunnel behaves the way it does.

>Gets it constantly wrong (100kmph when there's a traffic jam, 60kmph when traffic is flowing)
That's not wrong.
60 when it's flowing to increase speeding fine revenue.
100 when it's packed to incite people to move. You can't fine traffic jams.

>got one for doing 22 in a 20
Impossible. Most radars have tolerances of 5kph.
That is why the chart the other guy posted starts at 24mph.
If you get fined for 22 in a 20 take it to court, it's illegal. Also they are obligated to tell you what they used for measuring and you can get the user manual for that online, it will tell you exactly the tolerance.

This.

Speed cameras went up in my town and promptly taken down since they violated our rights.

No clue how it does though and tbqh it was great revenue for the city.

I prefer to travel at a speed I feel comfortable at instead of the state mandated one
it just so happens that the state mandated speed matches with my speed most of the time

Why would he go to the middle east?

Your car will break down before you break any speed limits.

But Wikipedia vandalism isn't my job tho

Quite possible actually

kek fucking australia. I think NZ is slowly going that way but 'hoons' don't get nearly as media attention here it's just the occasional boy racer story.

Waterview tunnel... no windows... seems legit.

Cops care so little here that I'm not worried in the slightest. We have enough violent low IQ convicts here saying that they'll destroy them if they're put up on social for any government to keep them for long.

>repeatedly pass sitting cops in my mom sedan on the 401 doing 170+ and they do jack shit because they won't be able to pull out in time and also lolnochasepolicy
>tfw forcing MTO vehicles out of the left lane and going WOT by them with nothing waiting for me down the road
>only got pulled over once for 74 in a 50 and got let off because I was nice

Don't believe me if you want but I have no faith in this province getting anything done surrounding this. It's comfy as fuck watching ricers and truckfags sperging out over how cops are the problem when their obnoxious deathtrap gets them tickets that always stick though.

*social media

fucking beautiful pic you have there mate.