Electric Cars

Can I just have one of these bitches in hybrid format that gets ~75 miles of electric power? All the new electric hatchbacks look like ass.

Other urls found in this thread:

indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/6148913832.html
youtube.com/watch?v=PbufH0FkI-I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Get a Honda Insight, fag.

Looks like ass.

Sorry, kiddo. Guess you gotta make your own.

I'm thinking of going with the new Chevy volt I guess. Seems the least faggoty and best performance

Theoretically you could put an electric engine in one

I would test drive one first. I recently rented a Spark and that thing was a no-power shitter.

Most definitely will. I probably won't get a new car until my 03 mustang ive had since shits out on me. Maybe they'll have some crazy nice electric cars by then.

Why the drive to get an electric, might I ask?

Are these remotely reliable?

They're supposed to be decent. I mean, they are Hondas.

Save money on gas. That's really about it. Lowering my carbon footprint is a nice bonus also.

>save money on gas
Just get yourself a gas-sipper and it'll make a notable improvement to your Mustang.
>lowering my carbon footprint
kek

You realize cars only make up a tiny percentage of your carbon footprint, right? You could lower it much more by eating different food, or buying different brands of clothes. Have you done any research? You sound like a retard

I don't really care much about the carbon footprint aspect of electric cars. Its the savings.

And yes. I don't buy clothes from H&M, Uniqlo, etc. Only made by quality producers. I also don't use any disposal utensils, paper towels, plates, etc because that is blue pilled as fuck.

The food aspect is tough. I try to eat vegetarian 2 times a week to cut down on beef and stuff. I try to only shop at local markets and avoid Costco Walmart etc.

I know this sounds gay and I know I'm not perfect but I believe that we should actively try to conserve the environment and it should be a major point in the "conservative" platform.

Honda Civic
Nissan Sentra
Hyundai Sonata
Mitsubishi Mirage
Geo Metro

The list goes on. Your car choice isn't going to "save the planet".

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm a huge teslafag, but none of that comes from the environmental aspect. Cars will have to move away from ICE eventually.
However, it is still disingenuous to claim that EVs are actually more polluting due to the battery production + where the electricity comes from. Large scale energy production will always be more efficient than small-scale.

> I try to eat vegetarian 2 times a week
This is the gayest think to say after "I am vegan".
You either are or are not a vegetarian.
Not eating meat everyday is called having a balanced diet, not going vegetarian for 24 hours.

Not saying his reasoning isn't gay, but your response seems autistic. You know what he meant.

how much would a non rated CRX go for nowadays anyways

you could probably pull 75 miles out of only like 30 or 40kw of batteries in a CRX since they weigh so little to begin with

It does trigger me though.
Might as well say
>I eat vegetarian once a day and when I am not eating go on a strict "no food" diet

*not rusted

>trigger
>vegetarianism
Holy fuck, is this Veeky Forums or Tumblr?

Cheapest they seem to go for in the midwest is around 3 grand in okay condition.

Here's one near me:
indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/6148913832.html

Crx will pull 60mpg's with the stock engine and still do mad skids.

uhmm, back the fuck off?

>thinking that abortion is even remotely comparable to the most god-tier shitbox ever built

Nigga he just wants a good ev

spark EV's actually decent. it has way too much torque for its own good (330ft lbs). it's basically way better than the gas spark

Nothing beats the 2000 Honda Insight, nothing.

How has no one said this? It's literally the new crx, sure it doesn't look as good but it's hybrid and you can get a 6 speed at least.

I actually really like it but im worried its gonna be slow as shit and make me want to kms since id use it as a daily

it's not that slow.
0-60 6.1 seconds.

>get an electric car to lower carbon footprint
>all the power to charge it comes from coal or natural gas power plants

If you aren't absolutely sure that you get power from renewables, then get a 3k civic and hypermile the fuck outta it.

Constantly have to search for rare parts but there is a group that still dailies them.

Serious answer:

You can convert one. Lots of people are doing conversions now and a whole market of suppliers has emerged along with lots of online and offline support.

It's not cheap. You're probably looking at spending $7000 minimum for the whole EV setup.

Check out evtv.me for one such community.

Yeah, but you wont get nearly the same distance or safety as a mass produced one.

Silent EV burnouts are cool though.

Yeah you are right. Battery pack won't be nearly as safe in case of fire because it's just a bunch of cells in a box with no thought given to suppressing fire at all.

Also reliability. You are basically just putting things together that don't belong and they will break a few times before you get it right. Coupling the electric motor to the gearbox (some people leave it on, some bypass it) is notoriously difficult and most people get it wrong the first time.

But it's kind of exciting to have a $7000 EV.

Yeah, its more of a passion thing

Im basically redoing all the electronics inone of those shitty razor electric scooters for for... Started at 300watts, now at >5000. Water cooled brushless motor designed for boats, giant lithium batteries, custom designed and soldered throttle controller.

It's been an on-off project for the past 5 years, and i've probably spent over 2000 dollars on parts, but it is hard to keep it from doing wheelies now.

How do you change the bloody wheels on those things?

centralised coal power is more efficient than ICE.
better get a fit hybrid and hypermile the fuck outta it.

Why not just spend 30k and make it electric nigger

hyundai ioniq.

buy one of those hybrid power train that volvo use. bolt it on the rear axle. activate by switch on the steering wheel.

>rear axel
Pretty sure the CRX either has double wishbone or trail arms.

Nice rust, faggot.

>You realize cars only make up a tiny percentage of your carbon footprint, right?

holy fucking shit i want an electric after feeling the take off in one by WHY DO THEY ALL LOOK LIKE SHIT
seriously every single pure electric EV looks like a kids fucking plastic toy with green 'enviromental' shit smearing all over it
I dont give two fucking shits about our CO2 levels and id happily do webm related all day but petrol here costs way too much

some stuff like the Golf-E look like...a golf
then there are teslas, which look nice imo. The bolt is on the edge of wacky. Gen 2 will probably look better.

I'd give it a couple years before EVs don't have the weird stylings associated with them.

I think it would be cool to have a light weight electric car, a bit smaller than those tiny asian trucks but designed as a super cheap modular system.

Give it 5 more years. The energy density just isn't there yet. And, light cars aren't really possible with current safety regulations.

I too would love to have a light 250mi range EV 3-door hatch

>safety

It would have to be classed as something other than an automobile to be even close to affordable for stupid millenials who can't budget. I think there should be a way within the next few years to have an electic motor that could he installed in a small car in place of an i4 though.

The covers over the rear wheels are detachable. You undo two bolts on the bottom, then the covers pull straight down.

Or hopefully someday, once battery tech improves, there will be a way to convert any IC engine to have solenoids in the cylinders, retaining similar performance and sound to the pre conversion engine.

Just bought a Nissan leaf for $6000.

Getting about 75~ miles on a full charge and have only paid to charge twice at home. 90+% of my charging is coming from free stations.

No oil changes. No brake changes thanks to regenerative braking. No filters. Coolant never gets dirty. All I have to do is wash it and change the tires every 40k miles.

Feels good to get 90+% free miles and when I do need to pay its less than half the cost per miles of gasoline, and the near zero maintenance part.

This will be a great daily driver to supplement my Miata.

Feels even better to accelerate slowly and smoothly, bleed inertia on uphills, and gain it on downhills. People behind me get so upset when I'm not treating every red light like a 1/8th drag strip when it turns green. The people who race past or were in front of me always end up stuck at the next red light with me anyway.

how many bars does it have?

11/12.

At 82% SoH. They usually lose the first bar at 84-82%.

that's pretty good.

Have you disabled the chimes? those always turned me off

Nah, I like the default startup sound and see no need to disable any of the other beeps.

Torsion beam rear suspension

All hatchbacks look like ass, not sure what the fuck you're expecting.

I hear the hybrid battery only last like 10 years or so. So most of them are needing replacement these days. Its like 2000 for the battery and another 1000 in labor to replace it.

The good news is even if the battery shits the bed, the car will still run without it AND still get 55 MPG. It will just be a little slower and not get 70 mpg.

How many kWh?

do you have a L2 240v home plug for charging?

youtube.com/watch?v=PbufH0FkI-I

I'm still waiting for my dream wedge 3door EV hatch

>coal power plant 45% efficient
>nat. gas 54% efficient
>nuclear power = n/a (kinda free energy)
>solar, wind, hydro = 100%
>Internal combustion = 15%

Not to mention the incredibly good pollution controls that are required on industrial power plants, vs the simple cat on a gas car.

The faster you can adopt an EV lifestyle, the better, since gas is going to get hella expensive at some point here and at least having your transportation out of the squeeze would be nice.
The price of everything else is going to skyrocket due to muh trucks which supply everything.

>Lower my gas bill
>Buy spending thousands of dollars on a different car
Makes no sense desu.

Unless you trade the Mustang, or sell it and buy something cheaper, you won't really save anything.

Trade the Mustang for a mint 1980's Japanese econobox. I had an 85' Sentra that would achieve 60mpg highway (60mph) on low rolling resistance tires and hyper milling. Car was rated for like 46/58.

The Chevy Citation I had was a blast as well. Believe I was getting low 40s highway, but I bought it to get back and from work. Still achieved 30s city driving like a juvenile delinquent.

On an unrelated note, driving a slow car fast is more fun than driving a fast car slow.

He might not really want the hassle of an older car.
I'm assuming his logic is if he's going to get a new(er) car, might as well make it as cheap as possible to own/operate.

With those in mind, I would recommend something like the Volt.
The plug-in range is good enough for your everyday commute, and it's got an extremely efficient hybrid gas drive when you want to go longer.
Also some really good federal incentives on them, and check with your state too. Colorado, I know, is offering some major money off qualifying electric/hybrid vehicles.

Just make sure to test drive it first, it would suck to spend $25k+ on a car and hate driving it.

ayyy I have a first gen insight!

paid $2,200 for it.... w/ 128k miles

I bought it with a bad ima battery so I followed a procedure online and removed it from the car :)

Already put 40k miles on it and literally nothing has failed.... but maintenance items
>12v battery
>tires
>oil & cvt fluid changes
>spark plugs

The car is super slow from a start but once you get up to 5-10mph its fast enough to keep up with crazy traffic.

Still manages to get 45mpg city in an automatic all gasoline insight. the car handles really well too imo!