School me on the 2L-T engine

School me on the 2L-T engine.

>be murrican
>wanting a old school 4runner as my DD
>found one in great shape and price
>only thing is it has a 2L-t engine in it
>these were never officially imported in america

Are these engines shit? Would it be too much of a pain in the dick finding parts? I would like to find one with a nice 22RE in it, but I have no had much luck on that. I already have a old Toyota pickup that is my current DD with a 22RE in it and I am pretty confident in my wrenching abilities on that engine, not that it ever needs anything major.

Other urls found in this thread:

milneroffroad.com/toyota-uk/4runner/ln130l-2-4td-4dr-11990-111995-european-models/ln130l-engine-service-items
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>using the 22re as a measure of reliability

Way to set the bar low

Literally one of the most reliable engines ever made.

milneroffroad.com/toyota-uk/4runner/ln130l-2-4td-4dr-11990-111995-european-models/ln130l-engine-service-items

Here is a site with plenty of good, cheap parts for that engine, even tho it means ordering from the UK

The 2L-T is quite legendary in my part of the world, having been used in the 4Runner, and much more notably in the HiLux and HiAce. Rock solid engines that are easy to tune if you want some extra power

Pic related has survived 22 years and nearly 400 000 km's of shit terrain, hunreds of drivers, cold winters, tough work and with nothing besides a yearly oil change and whatever it has needed to pass inspection

>weeb nonsense

Give me one reason why a 22re is supposedly more reliable than an ls v8

I should add; the engine is that is the 2L non-turbocharged, which is a lot less powerful and not really any more notably reliable as all the versions are dead solid anyways

This one here is running a 2L-T, tuned up to roughly 160-ish horsies - its quicker off the line than my '03 HiLux on 31's and with the 2.5 commonrail diesel

Show me an LS with 200k miles.

My ls1 trans am does has 180k miles and runs fucking perfect

Theres millions of LS based truck vortec motors with 300k+ still in service

Stop making us look bad

Why do people bring up shit that isn't even relevant to the thread? At no point in this thread is bringing up a LS adding to the discussion

Have 2L sans T in Hilux.

Pros:
- good on fuel
- has some torque@idle
- unlike euro diesels it fires at -15C on first turn

Cons:
- horrible sounding
- horrible vibrations
- no power at all, it kinda goes on flat ground, you can keep up with city traffic just fine or even be faster than it but my god when you hit some hills.
- doesn't last if trashed. You won't really need any parts during normal use but it'll blow bottom end if pushed hard on highway.

I personally don't like it, would rather have 4cyl gas engine.

Also if I lived in US and not Europe I would not even consider any of that shit, just get nice american V6 and proper long travel suspension for it and enjoy your life, leave 2L engines to the 3rd world.

>bottom end blows on the highway

How is that even possible

Comparing a v8 to an i4. V8's will always be inherently balanced and will always be more reliable you fool. The 22r/e is just a good motor. I personal believe the gm Iron duke 2.5 is better.

Fast moving traffic, slow under powered truck, you drive flat out for long periods of time and it'll blow up.

Mine maxes out at 80mph with skinny MT tires.

That's pretty pathetic. Can it at least cruise at 120kph without being strung out?

>rabidly defending a motor that isn't even in the discussion

prolly not

What the fuck is it with weebs importing these old beat to fuck cars?

>plastic timing chain guides that wear out every ~80k miles

Never had to fuck with my timing chain at all in 150k miles.

Why do euros and murricans make such shit cars?

better than the Mitsubishi diesel equivilent

ive worked on a few 2l-t's and alot of 22re's.

the 2l-t's are a great motor, basically a stronger 22r, however the turbo setup is archaic in every single way possible. solviet era technology employed from the electrical system to the turbo (that is not very efficient or reliable). That being said if you put a good quality turbo on it and upgrade the electrical system they are great little motors.

Are the carbed? I thought they had efi

nope