Question

Is the existence of crossovers/compact SUV's a result of just the manufacturer(like one day the Product Head says "We'll add a crossover to the lineup bois!") or market demand?

Also do you like crossovers?
>Whatever the answer, please also say a reason as to why you chose your answer.

market demand, basically women ruined the car market, just like they basically ruin everything they come to.

I don't like crossovers since they are useless, look ugly and basically have nothing speaking for them

Market demand. Consumers literally want everything.

>I want to fuel efficient
>but I want to be sporty
>and I want to be safe
>and I want to be practical
>but I don't want a hatch or a wagon!
>can I have AWD too please

People want that high seat but don't wanna drive this.

Something "sporty" and "active" is also good to market something. As more and more people by these higher vehicles people with normal cars have to switch because they can't see shit on the road anymore.

As the others said:

(Female) Market demand. I may have to replace my '98 Cherokee and I figured I'd look at the compact SUV/crossover selection. They're essentially more stylish minivans. 6" clearance, 170ft/lb torque, and 7 seats available.

I don't off road, so I guess I can't hate them. I just like having the capability to get where I need to in bad conditions. I kind of like the Tiguan. Good get for the price, but no lift options out there:/ probably will get that when Betsy kicks it.

I daily one of these with the 3mzfe v6 and awd and it's pretty comfy honestly, it has good cargo space, good interior room, lots of leg room, its peppy enough with 240hp and 3900 lb curb weight, and it gets good traction in the snow with 50/50 awd, 10/10 would daily again

It's demand
Honda only sold 10,000 more civics than CRVs last year same story for the RAV4/Corolla
CUV sales will probably outstrip compacts this year
midsize too if Trump gets rid of CAFE

Crossovers are the hip thing right now, so everybody makes one (or two, or three, or four...).
They'll all jump on the next fad, too.

cross overs have always been a thing man, this looks more like a crossover than any sedan

You literally just described a Subaru WRX

WRX is not fuel efficient. Subaru uses old technology and their interiors are really low quality compared to same priced cars.

SUVs are actually pretty nice for daily driving, they do everything a commuter wants with few drawbacks. SUVs are generally soft enough to roll over potholes without having to slow down, AWD helps if you live somewhere with bad winters, they usually have every option available to a luxury sedan and the high driving position helps with visibility. That last thing really makes a difference when everyone else also has an SUV/Truck. Things that benchracing shitp/o/sters care about like performance numbers and nurburgring times are irrelevant to someone who is considering an SUV. The only real drawback is fuel economy and that is only a minor loss in a car with part time AWD.

Cuv exist because cafe favor them.

The real reason crossovers are huge in the US is somehow in the late 80's, 90's it became "unhip" to own a wagon. Despite wagons being practical, easy to drive, better on gas etc than SUV's, they fell out of favor because everyone equated them with mommy-movers so no "mans men" would be seen in them.

I mean, what is a crossover? it's a wagon (with less usable space than a wagon) on a slightly lifted chassis. It can't go offroad, so it's not an SUV, it's too far off the ground to be a sedan, so what is it? A fucking wagon.

>tfw i just bought a cx-5

hold me br/o/s

I have heard that their interiors can be compared to Tupperware.

Here's hoping the next fad is small RWD cars.

I'd buy a RWD hatchback.

cross overs disgust me for some reason, i just can't respect anyone that drives one.

I can understand why someone would want a full size suv though.

They're okay, but I haven't seen one yet that I personally would be interested in. There's not really much wrong with them, and even the cons are balanced by pros.

Pros:
More headroom than a hatchback or sedan
Easier entry/exit than a hatchback, sedan, truck based SUV, or pickup
More natural seating position than a hatchback, sedan, truck based SUV, or pickup
Better visibility than a hatchback or sedan
More cargo room than a hatchback or sedan
More usable cargo room than lower-roofed station wagons, due to the more cube-like cargo area
Better towing capacity than a hatchback or sedan

Cons:
Worse fuel economy than a hatchback or sedan (but better than a truck based SUV or pickup)
Worse handling than a hatchback or sedan (but better than a truck based SUV or pickup)
Worse towing capacity than a truck based SUV or pickup (but better than a sedan or hatchback)
Worse cargo room than a truck based SUV or pickup (but better than a sedan, hatchback, and in some cases, wagon)
Worse towing capacity than a truck based SUV or pickup (but better than a hatchback or sedan)

Combination of both, Manufacturers were told to start making higher MPG cars/vans so they shifted the market towards shit they could classify as a truck which aren't classified as cars and are largely exempt from those laws.

So they were marketed as safer, with more room, and more comfortable in same way older land barges were and the demand came into play, and the market has exploded.

This. Have no idea why wagons didn't make a comeback instead of these weird inbetweener monsters being created. I love my volvo wagon to death. Comfiest ride ever with lots of room.