MR2 - BUYING - DRIFTING - NOOBIE-

Veeky Forums

I am new driver, thinking of buying an MR2 as my first car ever. I am aware they have a horrible snap over-steer, and that due to the mid-engine and being RWD the weight distribution sucks for drifting.

Despite this, I am completely in love with this car.
Please talk me out of it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/VNCXJ1RAcWw?t=6m50s
youtu.be/IPQyQgyuNMI?t=27m49s
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

fuck off kid buy whatever you want

Just looking at the car makes me giggle like a little girl. This can't be healthy.

drifting is fucking lame and the mr2 sucks at it. let your parents pick a car for you and come back when you've grown up a little

what was the point of this thread?

For you guys to talk me into buying a gay MX5 so I don't snap oversteer into a wall.

fuck that if you like the car after doing some research on it then go for it, its a fun car and it will help to get better at driving if you're not stupid enough to crash it first

miatas suck at drifting as well. you're picking the totally wrong cars for drifting. what i really want you to do is buy a clapped out 240sx so you don't ruin an actually good car.

Do you guys think the MR2 could be worked on to make it a more stable drifter, or would it be a waste of time and bucks?

it would be a complete waste. cars like the mr2 and the mx5 are best suited for events like autocross, which is much more fun in my opinion.

why the fuck do you want to drift? where are you planning on "drifting"? If you think you're gonna try sliding an SW20 on the local toe-gay like it's fucking inisharu D then you're going to crash

MR2s are for cornering hard. They have excellent traction and weight distribution and can absolutely rip through turns. I feel that cornering ability is much more impressive than understeering which virtually any other RWD shitbox can do.

long story short, buy the MR2 and just remember not to brake hard during/entering corners or you'll snap and die

>first car
>wants to buy an MR2 for drifting
STFU and buy a Civic

the trips of truth

MX5s snap oversteer. I would know.

I don't like Civics, they look worse than Priuses.

Sure modern day drifting is lame (handbrake -> Powerskid) and the MR2 does indeed suck at that but inertia drifting is awesome and the MR2 is very smooth at inertia based drifts.

Best motoring:
youtu.be/VNCXJ1RAcWw?t=6m50s
Good drift at ~6:50

>why the fuck do you want to drift?

Looks like fun

>where are you planning on "drifting"?

Empty places at night to practice, circuit when possible.
>If you think you're gonna try sliding an SW20 on the local toe-gay like it's fucking inisharu D then you're going to crash

Makes me want to buy one just to prove you wrong.

At least it has pop up headlights, user.

this thread reeks of summerfag and boiracer

YOU CAN'T DRIFT AN MR2

You're not going to prove me wrong, I've owned both an AW11 and an SW20 and can absolutely promise you you're going to crash. It sounds like you have little to no experience otherwise you wouldn't be making this thread which further cements the idea of you totalling a desirable car because of delusional hoonigan fantasies

That's it, I am buying an MR2.

I am going to show you summerfag, fag.

The best way to "work on" an MR2 to make it a more stable drifter is to leave it stock and maintain it.
Like most 90s RWD Japanese sports cars the MR2 has a highly engineered balance between tyres/wheels to springrates/shocks to sway bars to weight balance to suspension geometry. All with the sole purpose of making the transition between under-the-limit-of-traction to over-the-limit-of-traction as smooth as possible.

These cars weren't built to be as fast as possible, they were built to be fun and easy to drive at the limit.

>mom's minivan driver - the post

Not to mention the point of the balance is predictable rotation and not retarded oversteer.

Would you recommend the Turbo version? I don't plan on adding anything that's not strictly necessary.

I love the stock looks too.

i drive a miata, friend

Fellow MR2 owner here, yes you can drift an MR2 BUT WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T TAKE ADVICE FROM OTHER DRIFTERS.

All the information you need is in the Drift Bible (that's why it's called the drift bible duh):
youtu.be/IPQyQgyuNMI?t=27m49s
Watch it again and again and again and again. MR2 drift starts at ~27:45.

Drifting with an open differential is not practical. An open diff is completely unpredictable, and once you actually have a car with an LSD you will realize how silly it is trying to drift with an open diff. Also, Mr2 is not a drift car. Get a fucking mustang or 240sx or miata or lexus. Don't buy an e36 because I don't want my insurance going up because of retards like you.

It's a 30 year old car that you don't know how to work on and can't afford the tools to fix. Don't buy a car with your penis you 17 year old retard. But you've already made up your mind in spite of the reality in front of your face, so enjoy your rusted out shitbox with the engine in the wrong place because nothing will change your adolescent mind.

Yes turbo will make it much easier, I've got an N/A and it's underpowered which means I need a higher entry speed to maintain a drift.
But really entry speed is everything with the MR2, most novice FR drifters will slowly roll up to a corner -> kick clutch/flick and drift away - this is what you would call a power over drift and the MR2 is very bad at these drifts.

Don't learn to drift with other people.
If you're not driving fast on the straight and braking before a corner and carrying momentum into that corner you're going to have a bad time.
Learn to heel-and-toe.

Also this user is right in saying that Turbo MR2s are plagued with problems and it's going to cost money to maintain the engine. Keep that in mind.

Thanks for the advice, user. I'll keep this in mind and watch the drift bible over and over again. Can't wait to start practicing.

Blah blah blah, give me solutions instead of problems. I've already made my mind.

Buy an air compressor, an impact gun, a floor jack, a full socket set, compression tester, another MR2 as a donor car and a track driving course before you even think about getting the car. Also a Civic hatchback to haul parts and actually get to your job to pay for it all.

OP thread part 2:

Hey guys I got an mr2 and I went to do some drifting and hopped a curb at 30 mph and now the car wont start?

I can't tell my parents do you guys have any ideas?

>can't tell my parents

My parents are not buying me the car, I am with my own money that I am currently working my ass off to gain.

see t. 86 owner

Also you usually have to be very quick to counter-steer and more importantly straightening the wheel when drifting an MR2 - more so than FR cars. So it would be a good idea to make sure you have practiced your wheeling technique first.

A lot of novice drifters simply let go of the steering wheel and let the caster counter steer for them, this won't work with the MR2, you need active input. I'm sure there are plenty of videos on youtube about counter steering technique if you want to know what I'm talking about.

Noting it down, I'll calc prices later and see how long it would take me to gather up the cash. Thanks.

The full service 80s shitbox garage usually runs about 12000 including the car.

I could have that money in 8 months to a year, perhaps less if everything goes well.

Think it might be worth getting a super cheap/trashie RWD in the meantime to get started?

You're a new driver and you want to drift.

You fucking moron, just neck yourself and save first responders the hassle of cutting your fag ass out of the heap of twisted metal you dumb fuck.

No, get a shitty hatch. Insurance is killer at your age and if you kill someone while on your parents' insurance, they will sue your parents.

>Be a new driver
>Get a nice JDM car
>Go at nights alone to drift practice somewhere safe
>Learn

>Drive responsibly on the roads
Doesn't sound that dangerous, desu. All my drift friends live really far away from me, so I'll be drifting alone for a long time.

You want me to buy a FWD?

A 95 2 door civic hatch the back seats removed weights 1300 pounds. A Miata weighs and even ton. You tell me which is more fun.

I learned to drift on dirt roads with little old RWD 4-bangers and I highly recommend the same to anyone else looking to start out.

You can learn about counter-steer, weight shift, throttle control, brake control, flicks and scandos, drifting lines - all at the comfortable pace of less than 60 kmph. Almost any drivable car will have enough power, so you don't have to spend big bucks on your engine, and I've yet to find a car that doesn't pull doubles on dirt, so you don't need an LSD. Everything happens slower so you don't need fast reflexes and best of all - if you do fuck up you're going so slow you'll probably only end up in a bush or a ditch or something (depending on where you're driving ofc).

jesus how old are you

i wasnt this retarded when i was 16

I don't like the looks of the EG6.

Miatas with pop up headlights are really nice looking, plus why would I get a FWD to learn the basics of drifting?

Miatas are pretty much on the same price bracket as MR2 though, I might as well just get the car I like and save up for the rest while I learn on it.

Thank you, Ken Block. I live in a pretty rural area filled with dirt roads, I'll see what RWD I can find that's really cheap.

What's the big deal?
-
Maybe it's because I am retarded, but I hardly see the danger is driving responsibly during the day on my MR2 and the going at night, somewhere race to practice my driving and drifting skills
-

What am I missing here?

>looks
>looks
>looks
Drifting looks fast, but it isn't.

You don't know how to drive, why not learn how to do that first on something that won't kill you when you fuck up? Oversteer is no fucking joke and it's something you learn how to safely manage with a hot hatch.

More importantly, what will you be driving when your 30 year old shitbox breaks down? Which it will, often.

>somewhere race
Somewhere safe* Goddamn Freudian slip.

>What am I missing here?
Everything because your brain isn't fully developed and you might have autism on top of it.

?What will you drive when it breaks down?
>How much is the insurance for someone in your age bracket and can you afford it?
>Can you fix an old car that's been driven to shit and is ready for everything to be replaced?
>What will you drive when you run it through a ditch?
>Do you understand that these pieces of shit aren't safe and death would be a blessing compared to the more likely outcomes?
>Do your parents know you want a car because of chinese cartoons?

You know you don't need a picture for every post you make, you stupid redditor underage busdriving child.

>MR2
>drifting
>first car
Just in case this isn't bait, drifting is a meme. The MR2 is MR to stop it from happening, allowing the car to carry more speed through corners.
Since you are trying to get a sports car when you have 0 no-claims and are presumably still rather young, your insurance will absolutely skull-fuck your wallet (assuming you can even get covered at all and that they don't just laugh and hang up when you ask for a quote).
By all means get one if you want, but I would strongly advise that you wait until your your insurance premiums start dropping at about 22/25, and get it as a second car when you have something more practical, reliable, and cheaper to run/maintain so that you can still get to work when (not if, when) it breaks down.

Better have good insurance and a lot of cash.

>What will you drive when it breaks down?
Learn how to fix it

>>Can you fix an old car that's been driven to shit and is ready for everything to be replaced?
I can learn to fix shit, and I am willing to upgrade/replace parts of my car as needed. I am not interested in buying a whole lot of different cars, I want one that I can work on for years.

>What will you drive when you run it through a ditch?
Bicycle, walk or public transportation. I could also consider getting a cheap 400cc bike.

>>Do you understand that these pieces of shit aren't safe and death would be a blessing compared to the more likely outcomes?
What, brain damage? According to you guys I am already retarded, so it wouldn't be much of a loss. I am not interested in pondering about the different ways I might die or get maimed.

>>>Do your parents know you want a car because of chinese cartoons?
I've been interested in drifting for a couple of years, I just didn't have the money for a car. Just recently did I watch the first stage of Initial D.

I like the MR2 because I am sucker for the 80's design style, pop up headlights and that front looking just like my favorite car (Ferrari Testarrosa). I am aware that it being midship RWD makes the weight transfer a hassle to work with while drifting, but I am willing to adapt.
I am not waiting 4 years until I am 25 to start having some fun, user. My life is already boring as it is.

This is an image board.

see

You didn't answer the insurance question, but it doesn't matter because everything else was garbage.

It's around 500 hundred a year

I don't even need a car, if transport was the issue I would just buy a cheap 400cc bike and save up a lot of money. Insurance is not that bad where I live.

I am doing fine riding my bicycle around, desu.

This right here is why there are so many,I started the project and couldn't finish it so I'm just selling a rolling shell on Craigslist. You don't just start working on a car and instantly know what you're doing. My guess is you can't even change the oil let alone you living in a fucking fantasy land of mr2 maintenance which requires you to drop the motor to change the fucking spark plugs. So let's just assume you're a dumb fuck, which in this thread you have proven and save yourself the headache and just get a v6 mustang to throw around

>its another "child buys and abuses classic car" episode
This shit is why i have 3 AW11's. Gotta keep em safe from retards

Get a proper drift missile, an AW11 will die in less than a year if used for drifting.

Too bad, you're just a dumb kid who has no experience with cars and wants a 20 year old Toyota shitbox that'll kill you

>Toyota
>Die
Mate I don't believe you really own an AW11.

Neither do you

AW11s are notorious for rust

>durr it's a Toyota they're reliable
They're 30 year old shitboxes

What the fuck does rust have to do with drifting? And how does rust even kill a car? Certainly not within a year. And not for a long time if you know how to weld!
I've got 40 year old shitbox Toyotas still going strong! They don't die.... the problems just get progressively worse until you give up on them.

i didnt want to create a special thread for it, so i will just use this one to ask the question
so i've been driving my parents ford focus for around a year now, i feel pretty comfortable with it and never was even close to a crash (noting that weather in my country is often shit, with a lot of snow in the winter might make this more worhy)
i've always loved pop-ups and after making some money i can finally afford one.

i've been mostly thinking about MR2, celica from 90s and ford probe. Miata sounded promising too but the looks are a huge turn off for me
out of them which would fit a semi-beginner the most? i've got some race tracks along with rather long roads and some serpentines so i would really like to get a car that could handle these at some fast speeds. If not any of these that I mentioned, what would be a nice alternative?

Because OP knows how to weld

>What the fuck does rust have to do with drifting?
>implying OP isn't going to tard things up with chinese coilovers and slam it to the ground until it's scraping for better driftage

Buying a car for the looks is the second dumbest thing you can do.

Well after reflecting upon my first drift cars..... I guess you're probably right.

forgot to mention that i want a car that won't kill me, thats the only reason im not 100% on mr2
im buying it for the pop-ups
call me retarded but thats what i wanted since forever

>slam it to the ground until it's scraping for better driftage

No, I am going to keep it fairly stock.

All 80s and 90s shitboxes will kill you. Unless you plan on putting in a full cage, which you should if you're tracking a car.

No you're not, you're a dumb kid who wants to buy a 25-year-old mid-engine car as his first car and drift it

ehhh, most cars besides pop-ups that i like are way out of my reach cash-wise so im kinda fucked then

You can get an abarth with low miles for under 10 grand.

this is comedy gold

I like the looks of the stock. I have no interest in hooligan super big escapes and slammed my car into oblivion.

Also fuck off, drama queen.

>first car
>mr2
>considering the turbo
>wants it to drift
>has shown he knows nothing about cars
>reddit spacing

move along, we've been baited

No one can pretend to be retarded, this shit is the real thing.

You're just a fragile old man who never went after his dreams and now spends his time trying to bring others down.
I am getting that MR2, and I am drifting that MR2. Whether you like it or not, old man.

The resounding advice of this thread is this, you are a fucking retard, you want a drift car with initial d meme lights that you cant afford, you have no mechanical knowledge and you want to get a 20 year old cars, literally going out of your way to ignore the do not get advice on a thread asking about advice, the end conclusion you are fucking retarded and should just buy a civic with a fart can and a vape pen

see Enjoy your lawn ornament

You'll be hearing from me back again.

You can't even drive one home. Have fun getting daddy to do it for you.

Pop-ups are a dumb meme

Get a SN-95 Mustang GT
>plenty around
>strong aftermarket
>plenty powerful
>can easily make more power
>can also be easily modified to handle well
>comfortable to live with every day
>won't bust your knuckled wrenching on it
>parts are cheap and plentiful, available at parts stores around the corner versus overnight parts from Japan

You don't know snap oversteer is.

You're right, I know /what/ it is.

im a eurofag, unfortunately eastern one, so mustangs are out of question
my budget isnt that high

OP after 5 minutes of trying to drift an MR2

E36 then

Does anyone know what snap oversteer is?
As far as I can tell it's a meme for accelerating through a long corner trying to feel where the limit is, then getting too close to said limit (or over it) and chickening out by lifting the throttle completely. Which, of course, is completely retarded and not something that anyone who had bothered to read up on driving technique before trying to be a boy racer would do.

It's lift-off oversteer. Most cars understeer so bad that it isn't really an issue unless you hard brake, but the miata and mr2 will do some fucked up shit when you ease off the throttle.

im not a bald gangsta-wanna be chad
(atleast they are the only ones who use it here)

dont forget
>Veeky Forums

Sigh fuck it is summer of the dumb fucks, basic of snap is this, turning right at what you believe to be the proper angle and the car starts to lose grip, what happens is the person either does 2 things. One they over correct to the opposite direction and the car regains grip = snap into the direction the car is pointed usually forcing the car into a spin, the other is turn hard into the direction the grip was lost and the car never regains grip = over steer and you essentially keep forward progression most likely into a tree, the end result you didn't know how to drive and control the speed of your car