MX5 VS MR2

Which one would you get, and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NqaWng6-_dU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

AW11

Because it has more storage space and can fit a roof rack

NA MX5 because the SW20 MR2's are more heavily abused and riced up
Supercharged AW11's are non existent, otherwise it would be a top choice.

MR-S since its a proper light weight midengine roadster

its basically a MX5xMR2 hybrid so best of both worlds

I got the miata because I'm not a special snowflake and I just wanted a simple cheap FR car.

Miata, always

>SW20 MR2's are more heavily abused and riced up

SW20 owner here, can confirm, when I bought it it had:
>spray painted black bonnet
>DRFT cheapo steering wheel
>Cheapo racing bucket seat and harness (standard seat has plenty of support)
>Full sick front bodykitlipthing totally smashed cable tied back together
>"rebuilt" gearbox with shitloads of bearing play and fucked synchros (didn't use dial gauge)
>Bent caster rod and sway bar shit from where it was binned into gutter
>Stripped/snapped bolts on one transaxle mount
>Mismatched mis-sized mis-offset wheels
>Tons of bolts either threaded or just plainly done up WAY TOO TIGHT
>Exhaust not hanging properly (cable tied on) which led to tons of stress fractures and leaks
>Tons of play in steering rack and every single ball joint in the front end (probably due to driving with smashed un-balanced wheels)

It's taken me a long time to fix most of the problems and often regret buying it or feel like selling it but then when I drive it fast I'm reminded just how good a car it really is - It handles absolutely awesome! It would have been a great car out of the factory it's just a shame how much abuse they have copped.

sorry, op
i can't really think with that ass staring at me

AW11 > NA Miata
NB Miata > ZZW30
SW20 Turbo > all Miatas

An AW11 has more usable room in the cabin and trunks than a Miata. It also has a real roof. It also handles slightly better. It's faster than the 1.6l and slightly slower than the 1.8l.
I have never driven a more fun car to drive than an AW11. It's not the best car. It's not the fastest car. It's not the coolest car. But HOLY FUCK does it make you smile. Miatas are almost as fun.

ZZW30s have no storage space btw which is why you literally can't daily a ZZW30 but you can easily daily an AW11.

brap

the ND is easily on the same level as the ZZW30. If you want a new car, Id go for that

ZZW30 daily here
for temporary maximum space, you take out the shelf doors behind the seats, and take out the passenger seat

Memer2, if only to cross the mid-engined go-kart feeling off my bucket list.

> threaded
do you mean cross threaded?

i daily a ZZW30 and have literally no issues. just went on a two day trip with a passenger and it was fine. we just shoved everything behind the seats and a backpack in the frunk (on top of the spare tire)

I daily a ZZW30 and it's not bad at all. You've gotta get creative with groceries, but overall it's still WAY more room than an Elise or something. Other two anons are correct about taking the doors off the cubbies behind the seats. I also ditched the spare in the frunk. Worst case scenario I get a flat and pull out my fucking phone and call a friend or family member to bring it to me. It's asinine to use half your storage space lugging around something you'll only need on the off chance of getting a flat.

>those wheels
Did you even get the correct width/offset?

>zz engine
no thanks senpai

>correct
Please define correct. If you mean stock then no. They're Konig Dial-Ins size 15x9 ET35 with 225/45/15 Advan Neova AD08Rs. This is a VERY common wheel/tire size setup in the Spyder community. They look kind fucked in that lighting on stock suspension, but lowered with just a touch of negative camber they're perfect. No poke.

Well SW20's have an inch wider at the back but the same offset, which means if you put matching wheels all round you mess up the track and the back wheels will sit in half an inch too far compared to the front.

Looking at how far your front wheels poke out I suspected it might be the same for the ZZW30, that's what I'm asking!

This is basically the story with my Integra. 95% of the work I did to it was basically just unfucking it from the previous dipshit(s) who owned it.

You're correct that the stock setup is I think 6.5J front 7.5J rear. The consensus on square v. staggered for the Spyder lies somewhere between "it doesn't really matter" and "square is better". All the guys I've talked to that are tracking and AutoXing these cars swear by square setup so that's what I got. It's a daily so I'm not pushing this car anywhere near the point where square v. staggered comes into play from a dynamics point of view. I really just wanted lighter, wider smaller diameter wheels. The other size was 15x8 ET25 which although narrower effectively puts the wheel in about the same place thanks to the lower offset. Either way we're talking minor shit here.

I tried googling it and found conflicting reports on stock ZZW30 wheel size so I can't say for sure but:
If you have staggered sizing from the factory it is very important to either keep it or run differently offset wheels, let me explain it like this (SW20):

>14x6 +43 fr
>14x7 +43 rr
This means the rear wheels will stick out half an inch further than the front all things being equal.
>Toyota builds chassis so the rear hubs sit half an inch further in
This means wheels will stick out the same ammount - as long as you have stock wheels!
>put 15x8 +43 all round
Now your front wheels stick out half an inch further than the rear wheels.
>put 15x8 +43 on front and 15x8 +30 on rear
You have square wheels and track.

Track is very important for how the car shifts weight during cornering, a mid-rear should NEVER have less track at the back - if anything other than square it should have more track at the back.

so 2zz swap it you dummy

I spent a few months deciding between an mr2 turbo and an nb 2 mx5. Decided to go with the mx5. Better handling, better feeling, more space to daily, more fun to drive and also you can kick the back out and slide around sideways whenever you want, you get to really hold the car at the limits. The mr2 has higher limits but you just don't get the same feeling when you're pushing it. Chu Chu noises from behind you are pretty cool though.

I want to FUCK the Stratos.
Send help.

thats probably the only mr2 ive liked the look of. ever.

>Decided to go with the mx5. Better handling
>The mr2 has higher limits

U wot?

i love it. its like a little bug. watch some episodes of best motoring where they had it one. shit slays.

youtube.com/watch?v=NqaWng6-_dU

The MRS is the best MR2 that was ever made, and I've owned an AW11 and currently own an SW20. If you put a lotus bodykit on it and swap the engine, you've got a lotus with creature comforts, storage space, and Toyota reliability. They also have the best handling, weight distribution, and to top it all off weighs the least of the 3 while being a convertible.

SPIRITS had their demo MRS stolen once, and it was the fastest 200 class around Gunsai.

I get what you're saying, but to be fair Lotuses already have Toyota reliability. Never had any problems with our Elise so long as the battery stays charged.

Miata was once the quintessential faggot-mobile. If you can get past that, get the miata

*sniffff*

elise has a better chassis and suspension

The MRS is a sin to look at though, it's hideous.