WA meet July edition

Planned for July 22nd. This is a meet intended to fill the gap between the last one and the August meet.

This will be a one day meet starting at the McDonald's at Harrison Ave in Olympia. We will be taking the 101 north to Port Angeles.

Port Angeles has some good restaurants so we will probably stop there for food. Possibly Colonel Hudson's Famous Kitchen if its open by then.

From Port Angeles we will take the 101 and then the 112 and 113. The 113 will take us back to the 101 and then head south through Aberdeen and then back to Olympia.

Radios are recommended. The Baofeng UV-5R is the best although walkie talkies are fine too.

Other urls found in this thread:

topix.com/forum/city/aberdeen-wa/THMO6M5AO1B1I1TCG/p20
twitter.com/AnonBabble

map link

maps/ktwKfu8RcxP2

put goo dot gl before maps

How long is this drive?

about 340 miles

>2 WA meets
oh boy
I didn't check the date on the other thread, which is in fucking august
I might be able to go

With a drive this long, we should start early in the morning. With an early enough start, we can make the first stop a late lunch. Then continue to our first major drinks & snack stop.

Ruby Beach.

The boardwalk thru the rain forest....

>boardwalk thru lush rain forest
The drive is long and time has to be set aside for eating. Probably not enough time for other nature events if there is a stop at Ruby Beach.

>This is a meet intended to fill the gap
The filler event turns out to be the longest drive event yet. Usually, couples do such a peninsula drive and stay at a bed & breakfast. In fact, these peninsula drives are sort of advertised by various chambers of commerce of towns on the way.

i dont think my shitbox can handle that

As far as I know we're still a "no man left behind" group so if your shitbox does break down, chances are you'll have a whole team of autistic people ready to look at it and do their best to get it running.

We should bring coolsnt and 5 quarts of oil to be ready for anything
And basic tools for serpentine belt jobs

twingo bump

Oly peninsula a shit. You're either stuck in traffic behind vacationers or basically in a suburb for 70% of the time.

Fuck the peninsula. WSP have been setting traps all weekend. (Yea it's the 4th) got my first speeding ticket in 10 years where it goes from 55 to 65 and back to 55 around port Angeles. Fucker got me at 67 when I thought it was 65, it was purely entrapment as the speed fluctuates faster than my boyfriend's buttplug through that part.

Honestly was tailed 4 times before I hit oregon. Since I just got a ticket I would drop 10+ below speed limit and wave after they passed me a few miles later.

At least in eastern WA they don't give a fuck as long as you drive in a straight line.

>WSP have been setting traps all weekend.
There was no WSP on I-5 going from bellevue to Vancouver, British Columbia. I drove at 70 in the 60 and sometimes way more. On the way back, most of the distance was at 80 up to about 85. Other cars were doing 80 or more too. Lots of fireworks going off starting in Blaine and heading south to just outside the north end of bellevue city limits. Was entertaining to see all the rockets.

A lot more this year than last year.

>At least in eastern WA they don't give a fuck as long as you drive in a straight line.

Unless its I-90, specifically the ritzville area.

>You're either stuck in traffic behind vacationers
You can practice passing the slow cars.
The problem is that after a few cars pass, they usually get irritated and try cock blocking. They'll close the passing gap if you try. And when you back off, they let the gap open again.

>This will be a one day meet
This trip becomes a night-time driving meet if people don't arrive and start heading out early in the morning. Due to traffic and other delays for fueling and restroom breaks, five hours of driving turns into eight hours. Add in stops for food and snacks and you have 9 hours. And a long driving trip isn't much good without at least one stopover at good spots while you're nearby.

Otherwise, the trip is purely driving and that is no fun for me if there is no stop at some destination. Why drive by disneyland if you don't stop over for a visit? Oh, I went to disneyland. I drove by it the other day. Washington has a lot of sights on a peninsula drive and it's a shame to miss so many of them. I'd rather eat snacks on Ruby Beach than roller dogs at some shell gas station or old warmed over burgers 8 hours old from an arco station.

>From Port Angeles we will take the 101 and then the 112 and 113.
Skipping Hurricane Ridge? Probably for the best as Hurricane is hard to pass on and it is the destination that is better than the driving.

Remember to regroup or else you'll end up with people 20 miles ahead out of radio range and others trapped behind slow moving cockblockers and opposing traffic. There is a different type of fun that can only be done when you have a pack. If you see a cockblocker behind you stopping the next pack member from moving up, slow down to force the cockblocker to slow. Then when there is no opposing traffic speed up to leave a gap and the pack member can rush to pass to cockblocker to make them extra mad. This may leave a road full of extra-angry cockblockers though. I feel sorry for the last pack member to try to pass. The cockblockers will be 10x more aggressive against the last few pack members.

>This will be a one day meet
Ahhh, too bad as it is strawberry season. Everyone would be driving past the stands and I can't stop to pick up fresh juicy ripe snacks.

That happened the first meet.

Im not coming to this one (too busy doing life shit in BC) but is this route only good for scenery or does it also have some proper twisties?

>through Aberdeen

haha have fun getting shot

only if you go up to hurricane ridge. thats if you don't get stuck behind some cyclist.

>Planned for July 22nd.
What is the starting time? 8AM leaving Olympia? The return will be at night if we do any stops. If you get stopped by the police, be sure to turn your Baofeng off. Otherwise, the officer hears the baofeng and says you are part of a caravan speeding. That organization makes you "racers".

>haha have fun getting shot
Aberdeen doesn't seem like a bad place. The people complaining are semi-hypochondriacs.
topix.com/forum/city/aberdeen-wa/THMO6M5AO1B1I1TCG/p20

Aberdeen seems more relaxed a place than to those acquainted with walking on the streets of downtown seattle, south seattle, central seattle, west seattle, north seattle, north renton, north burien, riverton heights, east burien, south burien, northwest burien, northeast renton, central renton, southwest renton, and west renton. Only once has someone pounded on the side of my car wanting my window to come down. He had a long something in his hand, so I just drove off fast.

yeah 8am would work, it gets dark at like 10pm so hopefully it doesn't go on that long

Aberdeen is also a shithole with no economy, but it is very nice looking.

It's also filled with speed traps, and the judge will not forgive a ticket for 60 in a 50, ask me how I know.

did you try blowing him?

I did not, sir.

>yeah 8am would work, it gets dark at like 10pm
8 AM easily works for me. When I take off for personal road trips, I usually am on the road far earlier like 5 AM.

The days are getting shorter now that the summer Solstice (longest day of the year) of June 21st is behind us. July 21st means the sun sets around 8:56 PM at Olympia's latitude and longitude.

>ask me how I know.
Because it's against the law?

>From Port Angeles we will take the 101 and then the 112 and 113. The 113 will take us back to the 101 and then head south through Aberdeen and then back to Olympia.

What are the ideas of stops so far? Or are the places all top secret to only the KIK users?

We haven't planned any stops yet

>tfw drive unassuming vehicles so i never get pulled despite speeding almost all the time

Is Ruby Beach a possible stop?

340 miles? Jesus Christ that's more miles than I've put on my car since December.
Also, why are all Washington meetups in the worst possible areas?

we could do that, shouldn't take too long

if you want to suggest a meetup location, go ahead. anybody can do it

Everett. It's just as bad as Olympia, but without all the government.

>why are all Washington meetups in the worst possible areas?
They have not been "worst" areas. They've been moving to locations that are fairly wide apart. For you to say all washington meetups have been in only the worst areas, means you know of better areas. You chose not to mention them in your post.

>340 miles is more miles than I've put on my car since December
Since you drive less than 340 miles in a 6 month period, you must have the luxury of being able to bicycle, bike, or bus to work. Many of us don't. One medical tech drives approx 60 miles one day each day to go to work. That's because she's married and chooses to live with her husband in the same house rather than live in separate households. So that is roughly 120 miles per day of puget sound commute. Not that she'd ever go on a meet as she's not an auto fan or auto hobbyist or enjoys driving.

>we could do that, shouldn't take too long
It's a shame to drive the big peninsula loop and not have stops at the various sights along the way. Being on such a peninsula loop drive isn't a frequent thing for lots of people here, so it would be a shame to waste the opportunity to at least take a look at various sights.

I always wanted to do one of the board walks in the lush rain forest. But that might use up more time than people would like. It's also a long walk like the one to the ice caves last year. But the environment is surely different than the ice cave walk.