300zx

>300 smooth, Japanese horsepower from a TT V6
>Comfy, driver-centric interior
>T-tops for sunny Saturday cruises
>Undeniably iconic 90s styling
>4 seats
>Huge aftermarket
>No drift/rice tax of other options such as the S chassis
>Dirt cheap insurance (at least in the UK)
>Sounds incredible

Prove to me that the 300zx isn't the best value for money sporty-tourer there is out there.

Pro tip:
>You can't

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AtHKpRDXUzM
youtube.com/watch?v=zWUZQaqKtSU
youtube.com/watch?v=oIcOLPrXtQM
bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?321714-300zx-TT-race-but-for-some-reason-it-was-slow
phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/6166333025.html
washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/cto/6153549727.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>not that fast
>overpriced
>impossible to work on yourself

>Not that fast
In terms of top speed, it's just as fast as an FD at a quarter the price
>Overpriced
I disagree, twin turbo V6s are hard to come by at a lower price than this
>Impossible to work on yourself
Untrue, anyone with some mechanical experience can work on these with the help of manuals and Google

>Untrue, anyone with some mechanical experience can work on these with the help of manuals and Google
YEA.... THATS WHY WE SEE THEM ALL OVER THE PLACE HERE IN AMERICA.... GEEZUS YOU FUCKIN MUPPET.. GET A BUS PASS SOON.

>Untrue, anyone with some mechanical experience can work on these with the help of manuals and Google

Google and Manuals won"t make the engine bay magically be less tight

I might be the odd one out, but I like the Z31 more than the Z32.

The Z31 looks hella dated compared to the Z32

You are not alone, but I am a sucker for all things rad. Z31 is very rad; Z32 not so much.

And the Z32 isn't 90s dated

How cheap is the insurance compared to other jdm cars ?

Non-turbo one is a shit. My little brother fell for the 300zx meme and that thing is slow as fuck. My buddy has an 04 VR6 GTI that has around the same power and the same price that smokes it all day. He can't even compete with my C4. It's just not that great of a car. No clue about the Turbo model. I'd like to drive one, but for the price here in California, I'd rather buy a C5 and smoke a TT 300zx any day of the week.

looks breddy futuristic to me

I agree with all of this. Love these cars. They are a hidden gem and there is a ressurgence in their popularity.

Waaay cheaper than almost every other JDM. For example, the comparison websites are telling me that to insure an R32 GTS-T, I'd have to pay £16k. The 300zx is less than £1.8k. I can only guess that is because they aren't as popular in this country.

I mean p, there is an 80hp difference between the NA and the turbo, so I can see them being worlds apart. There are a lot more options with the turbo model to get more power out of the engine, as well.

You don't have to look beyond the specs to see that the n/a version is slow. They put down about 175 hp at the wheels and weigh 3300 lbs. They are still fun cruisers and they do handle pretty well. Very fun on some twisty roads. Nobody should buy one expecting to go fast in straight lines.

Z31 looks tight as fuck, would love to get a roller and put a decent drive train in it. I'm not necessarily a Nissan fan so I wouldn't feel bad doing an LS or maybe 2j swap.

the stock turbo engine is good for about 400-500 hp if you upgrade the fuel system and turbos

well the turbo, forgot those were single turbo

Really? That's pretty cool. I'd have to see what would be cheaper, buying the roller + ls1, or buying the working TT and upgrading.

I've seen a few decent rolling Z31s near me with blown engines, they move quick yet I never see them on the road.

Sound off if you keep an old Japanese car in the road, damn.
>mkii supra and FC3S reporting

Altho I need to rebuild my 13b before safely driving it again kek

That extra 80hp is available at 4k rpm also, which makes a world of difference. I have both NA and TT cars and there is no comparison.

i would not run over 400 daily, but just on the weekends it should be fine. The rods and crank will take 500, it´s just the pistons that might die. However throw some je forged ones or something in there and you should be golden.

Brit fucker here, been looking at these for a few months now, hard to find a post 92 model in manual that hasn't been thrashed. Insurance is cheap and the TT is 270bhp so it looms very appealing. Been reading a lot on the 300zx forums and hardly anyone recommends using the TT model as a daily. Apparently they require a fair amount of wrenching and unfortunately I lack a drive / garage or the tools to look after that compact v6.

Looks like a lovely car but make sure you can look after one user.

In lieu of this info and the opinions on the TT, maybe an LS1 swap would be ideal. You get the cool car, more reliable drive train, and theoretically 10:1 ratio, assuming the ls makes at least 330hp, and the car weighs roughly 3300lbs, and more hp is available if you feel like building.

Estimated cost would be near 10k though, all things said and done.

Everything is relative, but yes, generally speaking, compared to a lot of other cars from the time period, and that niche, they are indeed a royal fucking pain to work on...

Also, the tt 2+2 weighs in at around 3600 lbs and everyone I've ever ridden in handled like a salt truck with a plow on the front end the second you went to turn...

Can you make them go fast? Sure. You can make a bar stool go fast, too. It's all a matter of what you're into, I personally value handling higher than this car is capable of practically providing, but that's just me. I will admit though, by the year 2017, to a certain degree, I can appreciate the rare occasion I see any 90s jdm mid-high end sports car rolling down the street by someone who takes the time to keep up on it, so many of these cars didn't survive. It's just an appreciation for the hobby in general, I guess.

Wrong.

It's actually fast even by todays standards. 13sec 1/4 mile. With like $3k in mods you can be almost 500 hp.It is absolutely not over priced. You can get a TT for $5-$8k. Really clean ones go for just over $10k. And there is nothing on the SIDE of the engine you need to reach for >muhhh cramped engine bayyy!!!!

You can easily repair almost everything on the Z in the garage at home. The hardest things will be upgrading the turbo and doing the 120k service. Other than that, it's pretty easy to work on.

The downsides OP are that 99% are beat to shit and need thousands in maintenance done. Poor people buy them and let them go to shit. They think a car that was $45k 20+ years ago will be cheap to maintain. Get the maintenance caught up, and they are great.

How is a 13 second quarter mile fast by any standard? An EcoBoost F150 runs in the 12s lmao. Stay delusional

You don't need to upgrade the turbos. We just did 476 whp on an AUTOMATIC with stock turbos. We hit 500whp on stock turbos a lot.

All you really need is a nistune, full exhaust, dual intake, injectors, e85 conversion. We run them all day at 400-450 WHP with just those mods.

Literally talking out of your ass.

This makes me REALLY want one. Cleanest looking one near me is a TT turbo going for 5.5k. Really, really tempted... I wish school paid for itself

i was talking about the z31, and the stock garret t3 wont do 476 if you dont hit it with a 150 shot of nitrous

Those run 20sec 1/4 mile. The RAPTOR runs 14's.

The 2015 Musang GT runs a 13.0 1/4 mile. A Z runs 13.2ish with modern tires, for a car that came out in 1989.

Ewww Z31. Literally the worst Z in existence.

Forgot that you need a boost controller too, but that kinda obvious.

I want one really bad. But I'm gonna have to drive down to Texas or some shit for a decent one. Faggots overpriced the shit out of even clapped out pieces of shit here in Kansas.

>implying the raptor has a different engine

youtube.com/watch?v=AtHKpRDXUzM

My EcoBoost Ford Transit 250 plumbers van with a $90 chiptune is faster than a 300zx

>implying they didn't boost the fuck out of the raptor and your numbers are still wrong.

Keep grasping at straws faggot.

Nothing will ever be as rad as 80s digidashes

youtube.com/watch?v=zWUZQaqKtSU

>my boosted turbo is faster than a stock car from 1989
LOL okay, go "tune" a 300zx and watch it run 11's. Here's a diesel running 10's. Who gives a shit? youtube.com/watch?v=oIcOLPrXtQM

Do you even into logic? A car from 1989 is almost as fast (within .5 sec) as current pony cars in the 1/4 mile.

>this modified twin turbo is factory spec
LOL. A MODIFIED Eco Boost runs high 12's.

I like just about everything about the 300zx except the front end. Everything else about the car is PERFECT, but the headlights just kill it for me

>shills some piece of shit jap car for years
>absolutely loses their mind when they find out its slower than generic american work trucks

kek dude. i feel bad for you. you're literally trying to defend a 13s quarter mile which is slow no matter what vehicle it is.

You are literally this dumb.

>hurr dis modified and boosted turbo is faster than a stock nissan from 1980's
>but if we talk about factory specs it's not even close
>everyone else is mad

A vg30dett ran a 5 sec 1/4 mile. Have an ecoboost doing that? A stock block 300zx has run 9 sec 1/4 mile. If we're talking about modified cars. The top speed record holder at boneville that still hasn't been beaten to this day. You were saying what about the eco boost?

bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?321714-300zx-TT-race-but-for-some-reason-it-was-slow

>everytime i noticed the exhaust would pop flames so he had to be on it. but i would pull on him so hard. it was comical i couldnt and still cant believe its true.

>ecu flash bought from tuner website for $90
>"modified and boosted"

>bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?321714-300zx-TT-race-but-for-some-reason-it-was-slow
>this internet story from a bimmer forum will prove me correct
LOL. Your rage is hilarious.

I've always thought it was a good looking car but they're super difficult to work on when they break (and they will often)

A 1990 Corvette ZR1 ran a 12.8 stock. No mods. Much rather have that then one of those weeb messes lol

>literally not factory
>literally tuned to TURN UP THE BOOST

Do you even understand what they do to ECU flashes? You can get an ecu flash for almost any turbo car that allows for way more boost. But say goodbye to your engine after a while. Throwing boost at a factory engine with no supporting mods isn't good for it.

>and the mazdacuck comes out of the woodwork right on time
hello little cucky!

Do you have $30k laying around? Because a ZR-1 was super rare and is expensive today. Both are good cars. But the ZR-1 is pretty much topped out, the 300zx is easily moddable.

You could get the late model JDM bumper, which I think is a dramatic improvement over the stock front end.

t.mazdashill

I personally think the car would look a million times better if they gave it pop up lights instead of whatever they ended up giving them

T. Former 300zxtt owner hete
>>Not that fast
>In terms of top speed, it's just as fast as an FD at a quarter the price
No. Maybe 0-60 or quarter mile but on a track the FD destroys the fatlady
>>Overpriced
>I disagree, twin turbo V6s are hard to come by at a lower price than this
A working reliable 300zxtt is more than a c5 Vette, yet slower, and less reliable
>>Impossible to work on yourself
They aren't impossible to work on, but some maintance is pretty annoying. Timing belt, spark plugs, adding power...

I really liked mine, it was fantastic, better than a Supra.

And here we see the Nissan in it's natural habitat

B-but muh Lamborghini Diablo headlights

Wow that made a HUGE difference. It actually looks good now, at least from that angle. If I were to get a 300zx how hard would it be to source that bumper?

I still probably wouldn't get one though

Eh, they're not too uncommon, but expect to fork out roughly $400

....Wait.. Are you saying any factory car that doesn't run mid 12's is slow? because that's almost every car.

Just threw together what pop ups might have looked like...
>muh dick

If we're going by stats on paper, the GTO VR4 is a better value.

But you and I both know that they're both unreliable pieces of shit that are extremely difficult to work on too.

Yeah I like I better too. But it's not just the looks that are outdated, performance wise is a lot worse than the z32

I get that Nissan wanted a luxury grand tourer and didn't want to compete with the skyline but the rb would have been great in this car. If I had the funds I'd swap one or a jz in.

the z31 came with the rb20det in japan

It's the 90s idea of the future, it's blobby.
The z31 is pure 80s futurism, sharper lines, cutting edge (for the time) digital displays and such. Everything purpose shaped to look like a damn spaceship.

seats

The 2+2 is fucking ugly though.

>Break down
DU
DU
DU
DU
GOLDEN AGE
(DU DU)
GOLDEN CENTURY
GOLDEN PILL THAT YOU WILL TAKE

GOLDEN AGE
(DU!)
GOLDEN HISTORY
ITS YOUR TIME TO FLY AWAY!

I've always been of the belief that people who shit talk the z32tt are underage bus riders

I really don't like nissans but the fairlady is an awesome car in all regards

Not really a track or twisty car, but God damn if anything in its price range can take you to work and back at 160mph with a few grand in modifications

>underage
>take you to work and back at 160mph

The ironing.

they should have just made a v8 for it

>He doesn't leave the office at midnight and enjoy the empty highway
Shiggy diggy

damn, I had no idea they had that kind of power potential. I might have to pick up one and perform a few simple mods after I hit the books and do some research.

How is it not a track or twisty car? It does just fine in both cases.

>v6
>sounds incredible

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Mazda still makes sport cars.

Nissan btfo again.

>A working reliable 300zxtt is more than a c5 Vette
This is what always stops me from getting one. A good condition 300zx tt is easily over $12k. I'd love to own one but the asking price is just too high and sadly it's going to get even higher as the years go on.

phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/6166333025.html
So tempted to buy this. I fucking love the digital dash.

That thing is ugly as sin. Whoever thought those front headlights suited the car needs to be beheaded for such crimes against aestheticism.

This 1000times over

That is the biggest problem with these cars. There's a reason why it isn't in the $5000 infographic and the mk3 Supra is. The 300zx TT is a better stock car, but considering the price difference, you can get a clean mk3 and swap a 2jz with BPUs for about the same price.

washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/cto/6153549727.html
That is the cleanest Z I've ever fucking seen.
>35k miles
>$27k

Of course its an I know what I got listing.

And then you would have a mk3 Supra. Think about that for a second.

I wanted one, but all of them were high mileage and sat too long in a rice cooker.

What's wrong with that? They look kinda cool and are much easier to work on than a Z32.

>Kinda cool
Nigga they are way more A E S T H E T I C than the Z3 2ND, everyone ITT is a bunch of scumbags

>automatic
sleep tight little datsun

Nah

Yah

>Prove to me that the 300zx isn't the best value for money sporty-tourer there is out there.

>325 smooth, American horsepower from a NA V8
>Comfy, driver-centric interior
>T-tops for sunny Saturday cruises
>Undeniably iconic 90s styling
>4 seats
>Huge aftermarket
>No drift/rice tax of other options such as the S chassis
>Dirt cheap insurance (at least in the US)
>Sounds incredible

also easier to work on, faster. way bigger after market and way more potential. more common parts. more common chassis overall

The terribly ugly styling and shit interior takes away from any of those positives.

Anyone that loves 90s nissan knows what a fucking bitch it is to change a turbo, or even an elbow pipe on a 300zx.

I'm 6'7" (202cm) can I fit in one?

I want to retrofit something like this into my car, sadly custom VFD displays are stupid expensive

>ugly exterior

i think my non-ws6 Trans Am is absolutely gorgeous. instant-classic and extremely recognizable. undeniably 90s

>Shit interior

new carpet, seats, dash cover. not much more to ask for its a very generic 90s interior. it isn't ruining the car for anyone who has ever actually driven one.

sure its spartan but this is a drivers car you plebeian.

only soccer moms choose a car for the interior

I do prefer the interior of my EF civic (1991 hatch) but this is a FWD car that has no trans or driveshaft tunnel and the engine is way farther forward. there are sacrifices to be made for engine placement and drivetrain orientation that outweighs interior design

Literally comparing apples and oranges