And now, an Initial D thread without memes

And now, an Initial D thread without memes.
Who's you actual favorite character of the entire series?
Does not have to be major, at all. If you have found a reason to like a character from a single race, state it. Be completely honest.
Part of me wants to know how many people legitimately like Doctor Doritospin.
Mine has to be Shingo. I find it amazing how uninterested he is in actual racing. He is clearly taking his time to toy with people's brains and attempt to cause physical harm as a game. And when he gets desperate towards the end, it's not because it's a race. It's because it's a game. His game. And he doesn't want to lose it, resorting to some nasty stress inducing tactics (gif related).

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9GsgwQpj57c
youtu.be/QnbSjdqJmyU?t=1h
youtube.com/watch?v=3QNu2KaodBk
youtube.com/watch?v=6OAov0oLN6o
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It felt like wasted potential after Stage 2 for me, because it just stopped developing a lot of the characters, but Stage 1 and 2 are top-tier.

I like Nakazoto because he looks cool and I feel a lot more could have been done with the Night Kids

The Night Kiddies were also ruined by that non canon piece of trash Extra Stage when Nakazato and Shingo were suddenly friends while hanging around with Mako and Sayuki.

Nakazoto and Shingo should be a Venture Bros-tier duo, so them acting like friends while openly hating each other is good writing, the crappy part is when they don't act like themselves, instead just being background narrators or setpieces.

honestly, dr spin is probably my favorite because he's super autistic and even though he doesn't develop or learn as much as dagumi or his brother, he teaches them and refines them. little things that one might miss are also explained by him which is nice.

also, I personally though his look in stage 5 wasn't bad, especially since he looked like a fucking alien in 4.

Gummy tape death match is to protect his ego. He doesn't come off as totally pathetic because they show before that without it he's legitimately a good driver, enthusiastic about shitboxes and enjoys the thrill of it, but losing is so out of question that he still does it. When he gets desperate he goes "welp better dead than being laughed at."

I hate him simply because his existence led to the creation of Rin, a shitty, edgy, greasy, boring version of Shingo.
>mfw I bullied my fiancee to death and now attempt to kill people because lol

>a shitty, edgy, greasy, boring version of Shingo.

Who drives Nakazato's car.

>Nakazato's car
But with a worse spoiler

true, but honestly I did enjoy that race.

I personally like to pretend that it ended with 3rd stage, because after that it went to shit.

except the eurobeat

there is no bad eurobeat

Did he bully her though? That was her father forcing her into the marriage because it would benefit him.

That race was extremely enjoyable, one of my favorite of the entire show. The way it had both calm moments with Ave Maria, and that first bump with the guitar riff from Race Of The Night going off as Dr. Spin saves it was amazing.
I just hate how his backstory was written.
Also 4th stage onward exists to me purely because it has some of the most amazing shots of any racing related media ever (I have a very large folder of extremely cool shots from 4th and 5th stage in gif form)
Didn't he say something along the lines of
>If you don't marry me you dad's business is going to suffer
?

It's been a long time since I watched the show so you may be correct.

As bad as the final parts where, you have to agree that the final two races were pretty damn good.

The races were always amazing, in all stage. Its the writing that went to shit in the last two, imo.
>He passed me I'm useless I better fucking brake right fucking now go home and kill myself
Shinji sure made himself seem like a loser for a last opponent.

Just started on Stage 4. for me so far, best moments

>dagumi terrifying itsuki in his own 85, just for that bit when he's holding on to the grab handle and begging him to stop, all the while tofu boy has totally zoned out and is internally bitching about how shit the 85 is
>the sound. not just the memebeat, the sounds for the cars are perfect - not OTT hollywood overused sound clips that dont even match the car, each car has just enough of it's own character. Theres a scene at the start of stage two with one of the evos and as it disapears from view the sound is perfect
>takumi vs turbo takumi - "DONT BE RECKLESS" and dr dorito just casually watching from the half way point
>Kenji the ultimate NEET. has a turbo S14 (i think) but no sign of a job.
>Takumi vs Impact Blue. He only won because she overcooked it, i know that's still a win but if she'd have kept it together it'd have taken some grade A bullshit from the 86 to get past her
>professor apex seals beating the lan-evo and telling him in a roundabout way that he lost because he's a pussy and too scared to drive in the oncoming lane ("you're scared to turn right")
>working out what the fuck a "lan-evo" was (i felt like such a retard

i know everyone hates stage 4 onwards but i can't leave it unwatched so it's all downhill from here i guess.

I actually hope that kid did kill himself. His personality made me want to nuke Japan

Just saw the three Legends Movies. They do a great job at reassuming the story and the animation is very good. The First Stage deserved to be animated with better tech. Also I was interested in reading the manga, I've heard the drawings are very good and the story branches out a little bit more. Should I bother?

>Who's you actual favorite character of the entire series?
Takumi, becouse he is a lost teen that doesn't know wtf to do with his life apart from one thing that he is good at.

>takumi vs turbo takumi

that was breddy gud, also

BABY MAKE UP YOUR MIND

just finished 3rd stage and extra stage. i like takahashi brothers and nakazado.

>your fav moment of initial D
>youtube.com/watch?v=9GsgwQpj57c

>so it's all downhill from here i guess
Here's how I'd say things go.

Kai Kogashiwa or however the fuck you spell his name

Pretty much just because he drives an SW20 and because his race was the most interesting in the series other than the race between Dagumi and Keisuke at the very beginning of the 1st stage and the race between Dagumi and God Hand.

i gained mad respect for takashi nakazado after that cafe scene. where he tells shingo not to trash nights kids name.

youtu.be/QnbSjdqJmyU?t=1h

Iketani is definitely my favorite, Curashu is a close second.

I think it's the opposite. They're kind of friends but pretend to hate each other due to night kids rivalry.

r8 my shitty mspaint feelsitani

kek

have an mspaint Iketani I made a while back

That's what I mean, sort of like 21 and 24s relationship if you watch Venture Bros except they refuse to acknowledge it

Like if Shingo was the best man at Nakazoto's wedding but spent the entire speech shitting on his driving skills and insisting he be made leader of the night kids

I'd make a Pepe Itsuki if I could find a pepe that isn't a tiny Jpeg. The "Nisnogf" is what inspired me to use "tfwnisnogf".

DESU my favorite characters in order
>Bunta: If it wasn't for his bitch ass secretly grooming his son to be the greatest street racer who ever lived we wouldn't be gushing about Takumi in the first place

>takumi: he is just an ordinary teen with an extrordinary talent and like a lot of us is in that limbo of what you want to do with the rest of your life and what your good at
>itsuki: literally the few moments of comic relief each episode come from this guy which in serious shows like this needs a good laugh every now and then
>iketani or however you spell it:
Literally a side story to takumi this show does a good job of making a side show of him while still filling us in on how takumis doing while we watch him

>Takumi vs Impact Blue. He only won because she overcooked it, i know that's still a win but if she'd have kept it together it'd have taken some grade A bullshit from the 86 to get past her
That's in Stage 4? What the fuck?

NOTHING he said was from Fourth Stage, he's just saying he's just started Fourth Stage and those are his favorite things that have happened in the series up till now.

I really wanted to like 4th and 5th stage but it really lost some of its charm after the movie. It became almost solely about the races (which takumi always wins) and the other half was keisuke. It's still interesting and I enjoyed a lot of the races but it's just weak compared to the 1st arc if you can call it that.

I only watched the anime for Takumi so I don't really have any favorites.

That said I liked Itsuki simply because of his passion to become like Takumi. He even put a fucking turbo on the 85

Third stage GOAT KINO GOTY.

Plot > Racing

I wish that there were spin offs focusing on iketani and itsuki trying to become better drivers without an deus ex machina like with takumi.

I might steal your idea and work on one tonight

Itsuki definitely had a lot of missed comedic potential.
>Itsuki performs an LS swap on the 85
>tries to face someone on the 2ghey with his new God Machine
>hits the first corner too fast, jumps guardrail and flies off of a cliff
>Levin tumbles down the mountain, crossing the finish line a full three minutes ahead of his opponent
>Itsuki becomes a touge legend
>Professor Wankel has to readjust his simulations
>Yuichi wonders why Itsuki's car looks like it had a friendly meeting with the 02:30 to Yokohama when it lurches into the gas station the next day

Not just comedic material. But overally i think it would be better to see someone's who's already shit at driving become better instead of plot device fujiwara become plot device fujiwara better.

>itsuki realizes that the 85 limites his driving even with the turbo
>he acts smart and instead of modifying the 85 to be as close as possible to an 86, wasting a lot of money, or buying an 86, he decides to buy a car that his friends dont have, a miata. Because why the fuck not, takumi already has an 86, the others have an S chassis, another one of the akina stars has an Skyline S2000 i think and the only lacking RWD lightweight car is a miata.

>he takes off the turbo from the 85 and puts it into the miata
>he actually fucking improves and can give takumi a run for his money on some parts of the track

There's been a glimpse of this in the stage 3 credits, that girl he's with for a bit is teaching him to drift and he's genuinly excited that he pulled it off.

>tfw no Itsuki in my life to get over excited about cars with
>tfw no car friends
>everyone else is either a nocar or "just want something a cheap as possible"

I still don't get why they ended it with a race against shinji, a character I don't think anybody cared for.a final race against keisuke or ryosuke or something would've been better

>I still don't get why they ended it with a race against shinji
They wanted a wonder boy just like takumi was with a sprinter trueno 86. Easy to understand.

Shinji should of have won.

>he actually continued watching after stage 1 knowing well that no other stage can compare to it

Stage 2 is just as good, just shorter and has lovely drama

recommend me some good eurobeat

NO ONE SLEEPS IN TOKYO
ALL RIGHT CROSSING THE LINE
NO ONE QUIT THE RADIO
TOKYO IS ON FIIREEEEEEEEEEE

Fuck, nothing beats stage 1. It's so perfect

except the art goes to shit

Not until stage 4. The first 3 stages look similar and every character is immidiately recognisable.

By the time I was watching 5th stage I couldn't recognize anyone. Not even Ryosuke

Maybe you could draw a Shingo based on the Easter? Pepe. Shingo does do a similar pose in his EG hatch with a couple of simple mods.

>All three songs in Initial D by Leslie Parrish (If you wanna feel while going fast)
>Forever Young
>Power of Sound
>One Night in Arabia
>Running in the 90's (Mostly for the memes, but it gives a pretty good rush)
>The Top
>I Wanna Be the Night
>Love is in Danger

yeah thanks alot faggot i mean seb albums not shit everyone's already heard 500 times

How did half of the people in Initial D afford their cars? R32s, FC, FD, Silvia, none of those cars were cheap. Itsuki is really the only person who could realistically afford the car he bought.

The last race should of been Bunta Vs Takumi

Everyone looks greasy in 2nd Stage.

Is it me, or is Nakazato the most handsome driver in Initial D? Look at him, so elegant yet serious, he is like the night personified.

Don't stand so close to me is the best song in Initial D, and you guys know it.

>youtube.com/watch?v=3QNu2KaodBk

it gets worse sure but the changes to the model sheets from 1 to 2 strip all the style and character out of the art, and the color palettes get pretty shitty too (casualty of being on the forefront of the switch to digital inking).

in addition the filmmaking becomes a lot more standard and phoned-in, none of the clever sequences that made 1st stage rise above its crude cgi, and none of the atmospheric shots outside of races that really created the feeling of the town and the culture the characters were immersed in.

How does Legend 1 compare? Is it shit?

>eight-six was Buntas
>Iketani probably has nothing else to spend money on
>the dorito brothers are sons of a rich doctor (look at their house) so he probably bankrolled them, plus dr dorito himself was a racing driver
>Nakazato probably took out a loan or just has a job, it's implied he pays to fix his own car when he introduces it to a wall (and even knows how much it costs)
>[C O O L V I B R A T I O N S] i imagine didnt pay a lot as it's a honda civic
>Mako probably got a loan or daddys money
>Team Emperor look like they're in their 40s anyway, especially baldylocks.
>Turbo takumi had a job iirc
>Miata man got loans off his rich GF
>SW20 man probably had it bought by his dad to rekt the son of Bunta

it's all explained or implied, user.

t. takeshi

I know it's you, Shingo.

The cg is good and the way they superimpose manga style visual accents is cool, but there's no eurobeat and the voice actors are different so it kinda sucks too. Imo worth checking out if youre curious but not much more than that.

Good thing they tried harder for the movie.

No, but seriously. I don't think there's any other character in Initial D that has such charisma and personality. His car is just an extension of his persona, as elegant, beautiful and furious as he is.
>youtube.com/watch?v=6OAov0oLN6o

lotta comfy sunsets in it for sure

I joke but I can see it.

It's all explained in the manga. But you wouldn't know that would you? Anime secondary fag gtfo.

Its the eyeliner

I really want to finish watching the series, but I got halfway through Stage 5 before I quit because of how boring and shit it was.

Now I can't remember what episode I was on and can't be bothered starting all over again. The only episode that was worth re-watching was the very first one, with the fake Takumi and Keisuke.

>using the new Night Kids logo

whoever made that video should commit seppuku immediately.

Don't forget initial purchase and parts costs for all these cars are considerably cheaper than in Burgerstan/Bongland due to no import taxes or tariffs or etc.

>17479910
>Levin tumbles down the mountain, crossing the finish line a full three minutes ahead of his opponent

I'm a mobile user walking around in public laughing my ass off. Fuck you user.

Fail

Mine is lonely driver-kun.

Although he sucks at driving, he's got a pure heart and the right mindset.

COME ON BABY LET IT GO

COME ON BABY LET ME STICK YOU TIGHT

Let's Go Come On by Manuel (god)
Looka Boomba by Go 2
Excitable by Mako
Super Car by Max Coveri
Breaking The Law by D. Essex
Take Me Now by Tommy K.

Nakazato a Bestazato.

Real question. I'm positive you can tune an AE85, but because of how different it is, it wouldn't be anything like the 86. I imagine that due to its worse suspension and open diff, it would be more of a lightweight grip car, and with the turbo on it, it would basically be a very basic track car. Itsuki would specialize in grip driving while Dagumi would specialize in hektik skiddz.

You could say he's....... The night kid personified.

This.

OH BABY I WANNA BE THE NIGHT I REALLY WANT IT BABE!

Soft suspension and open diff are worse for both grip and drifting.

What's good for the drifting done in the show (race drifting, not show drifting like they do in Formula D) its also great for grip attacks.

I'd prefer if Itsuki just gets better with the 85, it suits him. If anything it'd be funny to see him become the next sweaty hand, master of the ae85 and slowly getting better with his true shitbox.

I can't help but feel that I Wanna Be The Night was a slap dash recording of a song. Like it was written, produced, and composed competently, and they got all the instrumentals ready, but they couldn't find a singer. So they got Mauricio off the street to sing it instead.

Everyone in japan was rich in the 90s.

i dont think that the vocals were that bad.

It's not bad, nor great. They're serviceable.

should I stop watching after 3rd or 4th stage

No. There's some gold in the rough in the 5th stage. But it just goes downhill after the third one.

3rd is a must watch
cause misfinringu systemu gets rekt
4th has GOD HAND and GOD FOOT

this guy, because he actually has a taste.

>this guy doesn't drive a Pajero Evo and reks misfaiaringu shistemu twins in a flashback

I would have killed to see a 911T, Foxbody, M3 or even a Viper on the show. Shame it got restricted to JDM, but it's not like Stage 4 or 5 could have jumped the shark harder anyways

SEB 175 is a bit of everything.

I think there should've been a team that consisted of foreign supercars. Like maybe a Countach, Viper, and 911. This would completely justify Shigeno's asspulls since "inferior gaijin vehicles cannot beat mirrion forded nihongo engineering". The Japs absolutely love biting the hand that feeds, so much so that Shigeno would actually write Nakazato's first on-screen victory.

>4th has GOD HAND and GOD FOOT

Yea. The only great part about 4th stage is the final episodes with these two. Everything else is a bit of a bore although I liked the drama between Keisuke and that girl.
5th stage is kinda ok. Again, the final episodes (including final stage) are bretty good

So much could have been done. Like the guy driving the Viper has a death wish, and they make a big deal about that snap oversteer from 2nd to 3rd, which costs him the race because Dorito PhD. uses it to win like he did with LanEvo. Also, when they ask him why he gripdrives instead of drifts he could say "as soon as I lose grip, I'm dead."

The 911T would be cool too but it would destroy nearly every car in the show IRL, but it's not like that matters in the show anyway. It could be Takumis dentist that races on weekends, because nobody else could probably afford a 911T in nipland.

>snap oversteer

What if, listen to me, the guy actually uses it to his advantage? Is it even possible to use snappu to your advantage IRL?