The Great Debate

The Great Debate

Left Up or Right Down

Right down. I don't want to press a fucking button and pretend shift into first gear.

Up-left makes it harder to inadvertently shift into reverse. Plus it's more conveniently located because after you back out of your driveway, you'll need to start in first and it's right there.

>moving hand forwards to go backwards

Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?

Just put it in R. Then D when you are ready to go.

Jesus that was easy.

What's wrong with that? You move your hand backwards to shift into second gear, so you can move forward faster.

i have to push a button and pretend to shift into sixth gear, that's sad

>Up-left makes it harder to inadvertently shift into reverse
When has any competent adult ever selected reverse instead of a 6th gear they do not have?

If you're trying to downshift, you might just idly throw the lever backwards without realizing you have to move it over.

left-up for six speed, right-down for five

>move it over
There is a reason they put springs around it

The absolute worse is when the reverse is right under Fifth Gear

What about Left Down?
That's what I have.

Left up feels so fucking weird after driving my 6 speed with right down. Plus I hate having to pull the lock up on left up.

>not having a dogleg gearbox

Left up, it's closer to the gear you're in to begin with and/or will need next

Right up.

Push down and shift into 6th is the best way to reverse, debate me.

Shut it ya fat inbred retard. The real drivers are talking here

Left down.
It's more natural and easiest movement.

Damn I wish my BMW had this shift pattern would be so much faster with second and third in one row.

It was pretty rare. I remember it being an option on the e28 M535i, but I'm not sure what else if anything else exists. Getrag 265/5 sport or something

Automatic fag driver alert

Left up of fucking course, right down is 6th gear.

The original M3 had it.

I have sixth gear and right down.
When I was at a dealership test driving cars (same model I now own but not this exact one) the braindead employee kept putting it into 6th and got confused why he kept stalling trying to get it out of the parking space.

Right down. Left up sucks because the lockout limits the amount of after market knobs you can use. Pic related

Yoorup. It's pretty much the standard for manual shift patterns over there. The other one is Murican. I dunno if it really matters where, you generally only need reverse gear maybe 5% of the time and it's not hard to figure it out. I mean, you look on your fucking gearknob and there it is.

>The other one is Murican
My weebshit SUV (Suzuki Sidekick) has the right pattern, I have experienced the left pattern in a '13 Hyundai Accent and I honestly think it's lame as fuck.

Subaru's reverse gear lock is great.

Left up

>competent adult
You forget about all the incompetent tired fuck out there.
Saw some retard throw his suv into reverse while doing 90km/h down the highway just the other day

i have 2 cars with both patterns. i think left up is better just because its right next to 1 and ive accidentally gone into 4th a handful of times when i was trying to reverse in my other car

That's the idea. It's actually designed for racing.
You hardly ever use first gear on a racetrack, so it makes sense only having one slow shift (from 3rd to 4th), than having two slow shifts (2nd to 3rd, and 4th to 5th).

Bong here. This is bullshit. I've never even seen a five speed with a left-up reverse.

>trusting a bong
>even once

This is where my vette is at

obviously toward you and up.

So you've never driven a VW

right down

What about left down

Left up, but I'm used to Eaton products in class 8 vehicles. It's always left up. Watching me try to drive right down manuals is hilarious because I'm always either hitting first when I want to reverse or second when I want first.

5 speed with right-down reverse and a wall/lockout only allowing you to go from 1st or 2nd to R masterrace

Seems like too high a chance to accidentaly shift into reverse while downshifting from 3-2.

>accidentally shift into reverse
Nah, it probably won't go there without a secondary feature being engaged. Mine is a spring which has to be compressed to fit under the gate of the shifter. You have to use your palm to press the knob down in order to get that done and into reverse, almost impossible to do accidentally.

3 on the tree master race

This tbqhwyf

What's the point of a 3-speed manual? Isn't that inefficient?

You either need to pull a ring up, or press the knob down to get into reverse.
And if you're moving, it doesn't go into revers anyway.

at the time of conceival of the 3-speed manual gearbox (which i suppose its from a ford falcon) it was either that or a 2 speed auto, which was even shittier as you may imagine

>only 5 gears
gearlets when will they learn?

>needing to shift more often to produce the same power
>not having usable torque at better rev ranges
5 speed > 6 speed

Thats an Audi R8 brotha it definitely has a lockout or something to prevent an easy money shift.

Normally the 6th gear is an overdrive, for lower rpm on highways.

The V12 Vantage's 7 speed is like that
looks sick

right down FTW!
Altho mostly just glad others out there even still know how to drive stick :-/

Alright cool, thanks for the post my reddit friend.

Right down, always

Kek

Every modern car has a lockout.
You can't even downshift from 6th to 1st at 60mph, the car won't let you

I have a first gen R8. You have to push the lever down to engage reverse.

One shit thing about it though is that if I'm trying to drive fast, sometimes I'll be pulling the lever to the left too much to prevent it from going into 3rd and it will hit against the side of the gated shifter, making me miss my shift into 2nd

This. Far left and down. Classic shelby mustangs and LandCruiser 4spd are this way.

did no one ever

>if you drove stick you'd realize it rtc faggot

>needing the pattern

you probably also look at the keybord when u typ

you know it

And I type with my index fingers only

see
however i still enjoy my 72 f150 with it's 3 on the tree. really confuses new passengers.

Left-down is good, when you turn and look behind you it's in a convenient position (for LHD vehicles).

>no punctuation
>no capitalisation
>when u typ
You should probably be looking at the keyboard a bit more. But no, I agree. If you have to look down at the gear stick every time you need to change gears, you shouldn't be driving.

but muh em pee gees

Same. Reverse lockout makes it impossible to go 4-reverse too.

Where do you live where driving a manual transmission is something to feel proud of? Jesus.

Also the right side shifter is way better.

Right,down

>the same power
If they're shifting more often and the ratios are properly selected, they're staying higher in the power band.

My e30 is left up, would love to have a dogleg though

Engines used to have wide power bands

No, they just had bands.

I wonder...

>"inadvertently shift into reverse"
If you actually drove a manual you would know this can't be done

>shift into reverse while moving

have you driven a car?

Reverse gear on a manual has no synchronizer. You have to be at a complete stop before you can engage reverse.

Only european manufacturer that I drove that uses left-up is VAG. Volvo, Opel and Mercedes use right-down.
Left-up can be pretty nice if it's done well. Golf 3 I used to have had pushing the stick down to get into reverse. Opel had a ring you had to pull up while it had right-down layout. I preferred the golf's over the Opel. Volvo and Mercedes just blocked the reverse if you were driving over a certain speed

this

I have a VW with right down reverse. Five gears, VW UP.

Push down lever then down left is the best

i haz question:
would you be able to convert a transmission to dog leg? in my mind it sounds as simple as splitting the in/out gearsets from their shafts and rearranging them so the forks work whatever set of gears in what position you want.

What a stupid argument.

Old beetles also pop right over towards first when you push out of reverse, makes it easy. Down-left a best.

>drive manual all my life
>Have to drive work van
>Boss keeps asking if I know how to drive manual
>Lol yes.
>Do a turn to back into driveway, no cars, blocking street
>Can't get into reverse
>Blocking cars
>Talking to other manual driver, he's stumped
>Call boss
>Reverse is opposite side and have to press button

I actually have a mix right now.
>MR-S with left-up no lockout
>S2000 with right-down and lockout
>Outback XT with right-down no lockout
>Legacy GT with right-down no lockout.
First car I ever had was an E36 with a slap left-up. Never really paid enough attention to develop a preference. To Honda's credit I've never accidentally thought I was in reverse when I really wasn't like I have with all of the others.

>pop right over towards first when you push out of reverse
This

left and a 6 speed

Right up

>only 5 forward gears

lmao @ ur lyfe transmissionlets

What car has reverse gear right and up?

Anyway I have access to 3 cars and all of them have reverse gear at different location:

Car 1:
24R

Car 2:
R135
_24

Car 3:
_135
R24

I'm really starting to like left and down the best but to fair it might be because I drive that car the most.

I mean, the only car i have driven is a 5spd, with reverse to the right and down. Seems perfect, no chance of accidentally shifting into it. To the left and up would spook me out too much, would always be scared of going into reverse instead of first. I mean, maybe if it had some sort of lever or thing you pushed.

What car doesn't lock the reverse gate when you're in 5th? My gfs Ford focus does

I'm guessing that left up uses first in reverse instead of a separate gear for reverse like right down would so left up would be a lighter transmission.

therefore left up

No

Right down because Up-left makes it at least possible to start off in reverse instead of first by accident, but shifting from fifth/sixth into reverse is not fucking possible and anyone saying otherwise is a literal busriding retard