FIRST CAR - 240SX

So I've been saving money for my first car and I don't even have a driving licence yet. I have like 6k saved up already and plan on buying a 240sx to learn how to drift.

All of my friends make fun of me because they think I am going to kill myself. Do you guys think they are right? is a 240sx too much for a new driver?

>want to learn how to drift
You're retarded and will kill your car. Go for it.

you're probably gonna kill yourself when you realize you bought an open diff ka

Why does Veeky Forums hate drifting?

It doesn't. It hates 16 year olds that think they'll be slick in a car they don't know how to drive.

I don't hate it, I'm just saying make sure you do your research, not every 240 came from the factory with the hectic skid option installed.

240sx's are so 2013

Get 300zx while they stay cheap for the next few years until 240sx homos realize they aren't cool anymore.

That's why I said '' plan on buying a 240sx to learn how to drift''.
-

I want to learn, I have to start somewhere...

No offfense, but I really dislike the looks of the 300zx. Those front headlights are sinful.

Alright, thanks for the heads up.

In the event this isn't bait and you're actually retarded...

Buying a 240 to learn to drift isn't a bad idea on its own. Buying it for your first and only car so you can do sick skids is retarded. When you obliterate your car into a wall, break your drivetrain, or otherwise damage it by tracking it, you're going to be without a car and without a ride.

Unless the bank of mommy and daddy can back you up, don't drift your first car. Christ. Buy something simple and practical and continue to save.

>another 240 condemmed to "drift missile" status and wrapped around a tree

all i want is a clean standard one.

It's slower than driving fast. It's slower than driving quickly. It's slower than driving a Volvo wagon stoned as shit with all your friends in it.

>Volvo wagon stoned as shit with friends
Good times

Maybe, but what kind of tremendous pansy ass faggot would you be if you let that hold you back? Also, 240s aint the only cars out there that can drift. Unless youve got your mind set on one, take a look at some other options too.

What else would you recommend for drifting at my 10k max price range?

I plan on learning on a safe site where I can drift without eating a lamp or crashing into someone else. If you think I plan on street drifting to look cool infront of my friends, you are wrong.

Fast is not always better, take sex for example.

You can't afford the tires to drift, much less everything else the car needs to reliably oversteer all day.

There's nowhere on this earth outside of private property where you can legally learn to drift. Private property that's conducive to drifting will have things like walls, obstacles, grass, other drivers, and things of that nature. Sliding around a parking lot isn't learning to drift.

The point isn't "don't learn to drift." The point is don't do it with your only car, which you have completely glossed over. And like someone else said, there are other cars that aren't meme cars you can dorifto with if you insist on figuring out how to slide around.

Even if you never "eat a lamp" or crash into someone else, you will break your car putting it through the stresses of drifting. You'll throw money at aftermarket parts to make the drifts better/easier, consume tires like gas, and otherwise throw money a shitbucket of a first car, rather than make the sensible choice and wait until you can afford two cars.

Christ, you don't even have a license yet. Learn to drive a like a normal, functioning human being. Learn complete car control before trying to get the rear end out.

We all love to drive and no one is trying to take that away from you; just telling you that buying a meme car to do skids with for your first car is a terrible idea.

How much does it cost? I'll be making 40k a year soon and I don't have many expenses.

Performance crate engine, suspension upgrade, transmission upgrade, stage 3 clutch, frame off rebuild to patch rust, full roll cage, drivetrain upgrade, new axle, new differential, new wheels, new tires every other month, parts cars every time you fuck up and park it in a ditch, friend with a tow truck, air compressor, socket set, various specialty testers from compression to alignment, floor jack (preferably floor lift), impact gun, alcohol, premium gas.

Basically everything you'd need to run a race car. None of the shitboxes you see being drifted are anywhere near stock.

A 240SX won't kill you because it's slow, but trying to drift anything at 16 will because you'll be dumb and inexperienced.

Anyways, the S-Chassis cars are respected and popular not because they're good stock, but because they're good platforms to work on. In order to make a S13 a good drift car, you're gonna need new tires, suspension tuning, a welded diff, and an engine swap is definitely down the road, and that's not mentioning the S13 is kinda a wet noodle chassis anyways.

If you want to buy a drift car for under 10k though and you are mechanically inclined and dedicated to actually working on your car, consider the FB or NA FC RX7. Both came with available factory LSDs and have better engines than any 240 you'll find in the US, as well as being relatively light. They aren't reliable or fuel efficient cars, but a drift car shouldn't be your DD anyways.

I am 21, I never got a car before because I simply did not have money and I kept moving around countries. I could save up for all the pro tools while I practice, that way I can justify spending 12k+ on tools.
-
Like I said, I do not have any vices or major expenses, so I could easily save up money as soon as I start making 40k a year.

>consider the FB or NA FC RX7

I really like the RX7 F3, I might consider getting that one instead. They are around 6k where I live.

>inb4 this is the same guy who made the mr2 thread

First car, daily driver of 4 years and counting

Ask me anything

Do you do sick doriftos? Would you recommend it? What are your current thoughts on your car?

Learn to drive first faggot

>rotary meme
>better

Let's keep this a secret between us

Why does your car look awful?

I already know how to drive, it's really easy. I've driven both my parents SUV and some modern hatchback they rented a while ago (manual and automatic). I pretty much grew up on a car too, travelling around the world with my parents so I understand how the road works.

To be honest, getting my licence is just going to be a matter of going through a time wasting system that verifies the fact I can already drive a car.

OP here, I really like his car. Stop shitposting in my thread and go drive your Gayata already.

You've driven, that's not knowing how to drive you fucking sperg. You're likely overestimating your own ability. Drive normally for a few years, then consider drifting. Or just wrap yourself around a tree early and save everyone else the trouble.

I feel you bro, I also have to worry about road salt and 20+year old turbochargers

Don't you worry, if I get an 280sx I won't do any ugly as fuck ricer mods. All the money will go on important stuff first. Also, stop being a poorfag and save money if you want a 240sx stock so badly, faggot.

I am not responsible for your failures, I've got enough of my own.

You like the shit body kit, spoilers, stickers, bumper, and shit hood fitment? I also daily a 240 and it looks better than this

>Driving is not knowing how to drive

"I can putt around town in mommy's car so I can drift!" - OP

he's a wannabe drifter, what do you expect?
OP, have you considered a bimmer? Maybe those are easier to find/upkeep

I do, it's not aesthetically splendid but the car looks comfy and eager to have fun. Post your 240sx, I want to see it too.

I didn't say I can drift, you cock gobbler. I said I want to LEARN how to drift. I also said getting my driving licence so I can drive like a civilized person on the streets will not be a hard thing for me to do, since I already have experience.

If you want a drift get a civic si, do clutch kicks, get lift off over steer. Should run you about 3K, if it breaks, which it won't because muh Honda, 500 bucks and an afternoon. Make sure to remove all of the OEM parts and sell them, put on a 3 inch exhaust tip. Bump people on the toegay and start smoking too. Plus just put in a mod chip and dat vtec will smoke GT-Rs and Lambos. Good luck kid.

Do I look like Shingo to you, MOTHERFUCKER??

Better than the KA for sure, and for drifting, it's better than the SR20.

Takes a while to gain realistic confidence, develop spacial awareness and learn how to recover safely from unsafe situations. Having driven does not make one a driver. That takes time, time spent "learning to drift." Would be better spent on the fundamentals. Driving mommy's auto SUV and driving every day are two very different things. Kid get an 240, learn how to shift up, heel toe down, handle the car, load shifting, recovering from both over and understeer and that sort of stuff. Drift when you have a back up car.

Not into BMW's. I want pop up headlights so I can wink at high school teen girls to massive pussy gains.

just make your own popup headlights before they get jewed out of existance

Learn to actually fucking drive first you mongoloid. You have next to no experience in practical driving from the way you've described things. Learn to drive fast before trying to do tricks and stunts. Learn some proper fucking fundamentals. You're not Dagumi or Tsuchiya or Ken Block or whoever the fuck.

Also kys

No idea what you look like. I do recommend new drivers get FF for real though. For under 10k get a used Fiesta ST, tons of fun and great to learn. Excellent gearbox, extremely satisfying to drive. Actually puts out a better power to weight than a 240, also if both are unintentional, oversteer is more dangerous than understeer.

That's pretty sensible and beneficial long term. I really want to join the drifting events in my region, so it'll pay off to grind the fundamentals. Thank you, I'll do just that.

I've never seen a modern BMW with pop up headlights. How much would it cost to add some to one?
Alright

Plus just learning that much is extremely satisfying. Learning to downshift smoothly when the car goes nicely into gear warms my heart every time. There are tons of performance oriented cars out there. A nissan is great if you can get it with some WD40 and rustoleum. Never worked on a 240 but apparently it isn't too challenging.

Can drift kids find a new chassis to ruin. I have two of these shitboxes and I'm trying to make mine nice. They're making good condition oem parts harder to find at a reasonable price, because for some reason they have to have the nicest, rarest parts on their car before they slide it into a wall and trash the whole car.

Oh man, I can't wait to get my car already and start learning. I am so bored waiting to save up enough.
-
I had a look at Japan imports, and it seems I could buy a Nissan 350z for around 4 to 5k with shipping straight from Japan. It would be RHD but I don't mind. (They cost 15k where I live). I am still considering it, since they seem like an even worse option for new drivers. Are they?

Also, what do you drive?

>you're a failure
>dat projection

I can afford a 240 right now, the point I was obviously trying to make is that all the ones for sale are fucked up modded barely Road legal shitheaps that are on the brink of death.

It's the same with the R32 skyline. I'd take a fucking non turbo GT if I could find one without an "ironic" bodykit, "drift scars" and a hydraulic handbrake sticking out of the floor.

I do some skids here and there, it's a money pit I could have bought 3 or 4 decent 10 year newer car for the amount of money I've thrown at this thing although if you leave it stock it really shouldn't cost you much money at all

I know a lot of guys that go to the track and stuff but I feel like I need to get a daily before I do that, not to mention I don't really have the funds for that right now

Aside from the paint and the busted front fenders I think it looks pretty rad

Yeah, but don't give me shit for stuff others do. It's not my plan to rice out my car with shitty mods for cool brownie points. Any money thrown at it will be first and foremost, to make it more able to sustain stress, gas and tires.

I plan on learning how to work on my car too, so I'll keep it stock for some time while I learn fundamentals and save up for nice upgrades that I'll learn how to install myself.

350Z is a much better daily than the 240, but do keep in mind that it is not a drift car. It's a heavy car with an engine boosted to about the limit - it's essentially Japan's ponycar. Also the interior is shit and the engine can't really make much more power due to the issue with the engine being heavily boosted.

Also check if RHD 350Zs are legal where you are. The last thing you want is to get your car crushed because you forgot about the 25 year rule.

If you are genuinely going to do this why not just buy one someone has already done the "drift mods" to, i.e. Differential, suspension etc.

Save you money in the long run (modified cars are worth a lot less) and anything cosmetic can be changed.

If anyone spergs about "built not bought" ask them which part of the design process they were involved in for their car.

For my daily driver? A Kia Forte 2010 :P It's manual and gets me around town safely.

350s are excellent cars, but their interior is garbage. They put all of the money under the hood. Just remember now you get to cope with ~300HP at the crank. As far as what I drive for fun, it depends. Lots of projects at the house. Prolly going to end up buying a CTS-V gen 1 or C5 base and then hoon it until something breaks then turn that into a project.

Japanese imports are a pain unless you
A)Have a friend in Japan.
B)Know of a local importer with connections in Japan.

Performance cars imported from Japan tend to be heavily modified and likely crashed. No VINs in Japan so vehicle history is often sketchy. I'd say save your money unless you want a car exclusive to Japan. Like say an R32 or something.

Also I am assuming you are in the US, but import laws here are FUBAR. Buy from a reputable source or risk having your car crushed.

>Also check if RHD 350Zs are legal where you are. The last thing you want is to get your car crushed because you forgot about the 25 year rule.

Looks like it's completely legal as long as you pay some sort of import tax.

>it is not a drift car

What makes a car a drift car? Besides RWD and Front engine? I see a lot of 350z being able to compete in the high end, what makes you say they are not drifters?

One more thing. If you want to import from Japan, there are tons of options that were totally not sold outside of the JDM. I'd look at those.

Also 350s in my area are cheap as shit. I'd look in the domestic, but far away market. Car gurus is your friend.

I don't have 30k at hand right now for a tuned up car with 700HP that's ready to compete. I am a new driver and it makes more sense to get something stock and grow with it. That way I can learn more about cars, driving and save up money for upgrades and tools.
-
Also, something about working on your own car sounds chill and comfy.

Heavier cars are harder to slide, they don't want to slide as much and are harder to control. Drift cars require specific wait, power and differential gearing to be optimal. If you want a modern drift car. Can't beat the FRS/BRZ/GT86

There is a middle ground you know. Think about it, you could get a battered drift car for cheap and restore it back to life with your own hands. Keep the mechanical stuff and restore the exterior and interior to look less like a tragic ken block homage.

Comfy, in your words.

I skid in a honda civic granny sedan on the toegay that I can drive home. Unless you're trying to look like a petty bitch boy in front of your friends OP then just buy the damn thing.

I like that attitude. Have you considered a MX-5, now before you cry "No power." Lemme sell you.

Miatas are cute so you'll get laid.
Two seats so you can ditch friends for your car.
Low powered but can grow.
Handles great.
A safe reliable platform to learn the fundamentals.
They are dirt cheap.

>CTS-V or C5

Sounds like fun

>Also I am assuming you are in the US

Nah, EU

Yeah, you US Anons are very lucky with the 350z prices. Where I live they are like 3 to 4 times as expensive. I have no idea why they are so expensive in here....

>350Z
>Boosted
They are NA.

Yes, I have considered the MX5 a lot. I might get one if I can find a decent MK1 in my area. I am not a fan of it's looks, truth be told, but it does seem like a good car to get started.

Not sure sure about the getting laid part...

Oh, well I guess American cars are basically out. At least the fun ones.

But lighter on the import rules. There are so many good options. Figure it out as you drive them. Rule of thumb. Don't set your heart on a car you've never driven. (I find it hard to follow myself.) Try out a few different things and you might find that you thought you wanted to drift when you actually enjoy sliding through the dirt more.

NA and NB are great cars. Oh and if you're in Germany the like mid 2000s Opal GT/Pontiac Solstice/ Saturn Sky are pretty cool. The turbo variant that is. They have a bit of power to them. But yeah the MX-5 isn't a car I love, but it's a very reasonable choice. Great aftermarket as well.

I would say it's not a drift car due to its weight. Now that's not to say that you can't drift it in, but it's not so much focused on drifting as say a S-chassis.

I mean compression.

I have a place in my heart for most of the Italian sport car inspired JDM's, specially those with pop up headlights. I am still doing my research, I really like the 3000GT and Nissan 350z.

I am aware the 3kGT is AWD, but I wonder how good of a car for drifting it might be if I paid for a RWD conversion.

Do not ruin a 3000GT like that. There are other toys for you to fuck with.

3000GT is FF unless you get the VR4, the VR4 is running the same driveline from an EVO(Basically.) It's transversely mounted as such converting to RWD is not "impossible" It'd just be a huuuuge waste of time and money. However, I want to have sex with a VR4.

If you don't mind financing consider getting a FIAT 124 Spyder Abarth. It's a a miata, but better and sexier.

Nah, not a fan of financing. I want to pay fully for the car and own it. Also, to be fairly honest, I am not really into modern sport cars much. I like the 80's and 90's looks.

Yeah, I probably won't.

Don't get a rotary car as tempting as it might be. Learning to drive well and having to constantly worry about the Gremlins is a nightmare.

Could import a Ford Thunderbird Turbo coupe circa 1988. You'd be one of the few people in the EU to have that hidden gem.

>Same driveline from an evo
It isn't. It's a much older design closer to full time 4WD. Not bad but archaic in comparison.

I meant in terms of gearing, engine and the basic system. Fairly similar to the EVO 1 or 2 at least to some degree. I was trying to keep it simple. 4G63T with AWD transversely mounted.

What rear valances do you have?

>Could import a Ford Thunderbird Turbo coupe circa 1988.

The car is an eye-sore, but it seems cool as fuck. How much do they run for in the US?

>4G63T
It's a 6G72. V6.

>Fairly similar to the EVO 1 or 2
Nope. It's more like what was in the Cyborg. Also full time 4WD.

Rage your dream user! Do it and make yourself happy BUT don't think you are Takumi. Drifting isn't easy, practice a lot in empty parking lots and read gudes. Also for the love of god, don't rice it; keep it as stock a possible.

I've always felt a lot more like Nakazato. I hope I don't end up eating a guard rail

God damn this board is full of pansy ass faggots

Go for it op
Literally no one seriously interested in driving buys some cuck tier econobox as their first car. They buy proper cars and put them through the paces
You crash, you learn something and won't crash again

My first car was an rx7 and I spent almost every single night out in industrial areas doing skids and stupid shit, for years
Never crashed or hurt it so take that as you may

The people here crying are just shitters
Ignore them

>My first car was an rx7 and I spent almost every single night out in industrial areas doing skids and stupid shit, for years

That's exactly my plan. You're a cool guy user, keep it up.

frp lab g-grow style valence

I got them off ebay but I believe they were made by a seller on zilvia, not sure if you can buy em anymore though

How much would you guys hate me if I decided to save up up to 20k and get myself a R32 straight from Nippon?

I love & hate my car so much. They're kinda semi reliable in the sense that they break down alot, but whatever breaks you can normally fix that day if you can get the parts.
I'd defiantly recommend owning multiple cars if you choose to get a 240 to beat on & drift (I chose a shitbox 80's corolla) Theres also a huge abuse margin between one thats dailyed & one thats drifted. Daily drifters don't survive that long anymore.
Also the only things you really need to send it is some decent or even shitty coilovers, manual trans, a welded diff, & maybe some rear adjustable toe rods if you wanna save your rear tires, then thats it.

All that said tho, I still wouldnt recommend a 240 for drifting anymore.
350z's are litterly in the 240 price range now & they're pretty much set to rock stock if you get one with a LSD. And if you have an open diff, then fuck it & weld it.
Last drift event I went to had more BMW's (which half of those broke) & Z's (nothing went wrong for any of them) then Schassis.
Also after riding in a drift missle Z (like yes, actual spare car just for thrashing) the lack of rattling & high speed stability made me want one, even with the fact that the Z I was in had been sent into a wall atleast 4 times.

>civic si
which years ?

It's expensive compared to track driving, let alone autocross.

You can eat up $300 worth of tires (the rear two) in 5-10 laps.

My boss races, which isn't fundamentally different in terms of costs, and he puts about a $15-20k/yr into it. He doesn't race his street car; insurance won't cover your drift car and the suspension setup would suck on the street. You wouldn't want to take passengers in that thing. Also, roll cages make the car unsafe for anyone not wearing a helmet nor using a race harness (which is illegal on the street - have to use the belt).

You really want to start by autocrossing a street car until you know cars inside and out. Then you start getting into things that require a dedicated car.

This

Full cages aren't street legal in a lot of countries either because of safety issues.

OP. You're really dumb and I don't think you'll listen but I'll try to reason with you anyway.

First off. You're going to fuck up your first car. Get a cheap shitbox. If you want RWD fine. Get a cheap V6 SN95 mustang with a manual transmission or maybe a panther body Ford, like a CVPI (research on how to buy a cherry cop vic vs. a worn out lemon first). Maybe an RWD Volvo.

Then learn to DRIVE. In traffic. Like a normal person. Not a race car driver. You'll probably destroy your car just doing that or completely failing basic maintenance.

If it's a cheap shitty Ford, who cares. Walk away. Buy another.

DO NOT spend 6k on a 240SX.
It's got a pretty good chassis but a horrible engine. Do not tell me you're going to drop 6k on a clapped out SX and then more on a swap. And yes one that doesn't even run because some idiot like you turned it inside out is still rice taxed to 4-10k. You're paying idiot money for a car that's not even that good and even if you do get a good deal it will last exactly a week before you think you're Dagumi and wrap it around a tree.

So do everyone a favor. Fuck up a cheap v6 SN95 mustang first. Their solid rear axles make them pretty easy to slide anyway and no one will miss it if you kill one. For 6k you can probably wreck 5 of them.

I'm hoping you didn't just make up your mind beforehand and then make this thread seeking confirmation. Because brainless fatheads make tons of posts like it about buying a fast bike or lifting daddy's Jeep 9 feet every day without knowing what they're doing.

I just bought a stock 240sx 1990, I fucking love it, so simply and so easy to work on. Not the fastest but it's okay for me, not going to drift it tho, going to be a hard park stance fag. Has 89k miles bought for 5k no rust full interior no dents no nothing. Buy one, find a stock one, I know their hard but listen to a guy that owns one

>I'll be making 40k a year

i make more than double that with very little in the way of expenses and can barely afford my street toy.

Move out of the (((city)))

What do you drive?

That's really nice. You should keep it completely stock and show up to stance meets just to fuck with people. It's probably one of 5 unmolested S13s left.

Is it that hard to believe a newbie could buy a ''decent'' sport car that he drives in a reasonably manner, but also goes to somewhere isolated at night to practice driving techniques and doriftos?
-

Feels like you guys are assuming I am just a 16 year old that drinks alcohol, smokes pot and drivers his mommy SUV at 200/kmh in the suburbs.