Automatic transmission slipping?

Hey Veeky Forums I've got a 2001 Ford Mustang V6 and the transmission just started slipping from 2nd to 3rd gear
The fluids are fine and it's only got 30,000 miles
How fucked am I? I haven't smelled the transmission burning yet so that's a good sign do you think if I flush it and put new fluid in will that help?

you might make it worse by flushing the system, sometimes the crap in the fluid is just enough to keep it working

Do you know how long I have till it grenades on me if I only drive to and from work?

Oh pull the gun out of your mouth and calm down.
Getting a decent independent shop to source and install a rebuilt is not expensive.
Renting a car or using Uber for a few days is also not that expensive.
>Minor problem
>Better cry my eyes out and commit suicide.

Toss a coin.
Heads, 1 day.
Tails, 3 and a half years.

$500 for a used transmission and probably double that in labor if he pays a shop to do it. It's not exactly cheap man.

Told you mileage was a meme logee.

Well that's what you get for getting a Mustang, you muppet. What did you expect?

Look I'm a broke college bound faggot so this isn't exactly something I can just pull out of my ass I'll probably have to get a credit card and go into debt over a car I got maybe 2 weeks ago

Remember that Cube you had? Remember how it was good on gas, reliable, and faster than your POS?
Meanwhile I went cross country in an 89 5.0 with original everything and 130000 miles.

So... Not that much for a major system repair.
Look at the bill for a similar job on other cars.
I should have said... "For a transmission job, it's incredibly fucking cheap."
Cars cost money to maintain... This one costs less than others... For that reason, it was a savvy decision for a used daily. If OP didn't budget for car repair, that's a shame.
If OP did, but has had a run of bad luck, has an empty emergency fund, and is up against a wall, then that is an awful run of shit luck.

It wasn't a savvy decision lmao. He wanted something "sporty" so he traded a perfectly good '11 Cube for a 2001 v6 auto mustang.

We were all there at one point or another. It's how you learn the hard way not to buy a used car unless you can afford at least one immediate major repair.
Cars are expensive.
Mileage is a meme.

Well, without knowing the backstory, it had the appearance of a savvy decision. Assumed it was just a used car that OP had bought... Upon hearing the backstory, it was a shit decision.

You don't understand why this is so funny. He had this...

That's pretty much exactly what happened the second part I mean..

And traded it for this.
You bought a 16 year old car with no repair fund set aside?

>autotragic

I had a repair fund set aside but lost my job due to budget cuts and so I had to dip into that and used most of it to live until I can get a job.

You guys happy? I came here for answers and instead your all just laughing at me. Thanks for the Help.

You've got your answers. If it's slipping, it's fucked and needs replaced or rebuilt. As an user said, it may last one more day or many years. There's really no telling.

that's it. There's no magic voodoo fix for it. None of the snake oils will work if the car has a legitimate problem.

>buying an automatic v6 mustang
post tits. you're obviously a woman.

I have very limited experience with this, but I have a 2004 Ford Ranger that I got with 185k miles. The transmission slipped on and off (mostly on) for 6 or 7 years before it got so bad i decided to risk changing the fluid at 245k miles (I heard all the stuff about auto trans getting used to having the grit they had in them, etc)
It shifted like a dream, and I beat it pretty good the next couple of years by moving across a couple states including a bunch of 1000 mile trips pulling trailers through hills in heat
It started slipping again recently so I changed it again and it shifts smooth again, at 275k miles now

I say go for it

>You guys happy? I came here for answers and instead your all just laughing at me. Thanks for the Help.
I gave you your answers.
People are laughing at you because you made poor choices.
You came here in denial and got a cold water shock.
Cross your fingers and drive slow.
Also
>lost my job... and used most of it to live until I can get a job.
>Look I'm a broke college bound .....
You're not even in college yet. Don't pretend like you're paying your own living expenses. Cut the shit. Lose the denial. Look your own bad decisions in the face and own them. Then figure out how to do something about them. College won't teach you that.

Go for what? Changing the fluid or?
I should also mention that this has only been happening for 2 days at most so I doubt the whole "it's gotten used to the crap in it's system" meme is doing me any good right now

I'm starting to think it's the torque converter as it only slips between 30-45 mph which is a telltale sign of the torque converter being bad

Possible scenarios. Low fluid. Not likely. Worn out clutch packs not likely due to mileage.
Likely: Internal corrosion from lots of sitting. Old + low miles. Valve body, oil pump, etc. or the pressure relief valve spring in the pump corroded and broke...
It doesn't matter. You're gonna have to pay a mechanic money you don't have to fix it because of knowledge you don't have and decisions you shouldn't have made.