Are pushrods superior to ohc?

Are pushrods superior to ohc?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1JsUR_-YtmM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

no

As a newer technology, they are obviously better.

>better = worse
ameribetics....

no

depends, if youre doing a head swap, changing head gaskets or something that involves removal of the heads, pushrod will be easier because you don't need to fuck with the timing, the pushrod engines are smaller than ohc engines of similar displacement and cylinder count, flow depends on the engine, don't let this website turn you into one of those queers who won't touch a pushrod engine because muh inferior technology

This is one of those threads destined to be filled with screaming autists which is probably what OP wants, but before that happens I'll give a serious answer.

OHC is superior in that you can make the same power with less displacement compared to pushrods, and it is inferior in that OHC cylinder heads are much larger than pushrod heads so weigh more and make the engine much larger.

Considering that both exist in cars in the market, it's safe to assume that people way smarter than us have done the math and determined that neither is really "better" than the other and which one used depends on the application.

>capable of 400hp and no torque
>capable of 400hp and no torque
>capable of 1400hp and fuck off torque

Gee which one is superior?

Cars in the real world weigh a fuckload and need torque.

>torque
>relevant

also, pushrod engines have smooth power delivery and do not experience something called climbing up on the cam where the engine revs higher at a faster and faster rate, pushrods will have steadier power delivery but at the cost of lower redlines because more reciprocating mass

Which one is superior? The one made by a company that has won le mans with that engine type

Stay btfo gm pushrod cuck

OP is alphonse what the fuck do you expect?

you are aware gm isn't the only company making pushrod engines you fucking turbo autist

pushrods are grabrage no matter who makes them

Don't feed him replies.

You are are gm has never ever won le mans you turbo autsists Lmao

How the fuck is lemans relevant in the real world? Lay off the vidyas man, Shits eating your brain away.

Which one is superior? The car you can actually own and drive or some $2m race car?

ok, faggot despite the fact that people make over 1000hp with them and that they can still flow over 300 cfm easily, keep sperging though

they can't make power reliably hermes

You wouldn't be driving dohc's if it weren't for pushrod powered ships and trains bringing them to you.

did you have a fucking stroke?

Jesus Christ you retards. Stop replying. This favor has been here for years how do you not recognize his posts?

except they can much better than small dohc engines because they are larger and not strained as much

You better go tell that to all the people running pushrods at full power all day long in their boats.

>full power all day
[citation needed]
wrong

like the challengers?

a larger engine will make power more reliable than a smaller engine because it is not under as much stress, an ls6 which is a 454 cubic inch engine does not need to rev as highly to get 500hp because it displaces more, whereas a b16 which is a small displacement dohc 4 cylinder would need a good serving of boost as well as some revs to make the same power. now tell me which one is working hard which one is strained more, the one that is strained more is going to give out sooner that's how mechanical things work and if you can't understand that i'm surprised you haven't accidentally killed yourself

Sweet Jesus Christ you idiots are worse than retarded boomers with show queens at car shows and autistic 12 year old muh jdm fanboys combined. Learns a damn thing before spewing retarded shit.

how am i spewing retarded shit, i'm stating a fact that larger engines are not under as much stress as smaller engines making the same power

phone posting while trying to eat a chicken roll

You ARE retarded. A 5.0 made of cardboard won't be as strong as a 2.0 made of billet everything will it? How well does each engine breathe? What octane are they running? Direct injection? N/A or F/I? Oversquare, undersquare? It's not just hurr displacement, but it's not hurr valvetrain either.

>muh 7.4 litre engine is less stressed than a 1.6l!
desperate much? that 7.4 litre pushrod shit is more stressed than a 6l dohc turbo v12
stay mad

no you are retarded, i'm not talking about strength i'm talking about the stress the engine is experiencing

i'm not sure about your logic, making the same horsepower no not really an engine that mainly makes power through high revs will always be under more stress while making peak power than an engine based on displacement making peak power

And an engine built with quality materials will handle high RPMs and/or high power all day just fine, large or small displacement.

yea but a larger engine is objectively worse for any track use

the thing is though i am not talking about materials, i know an engine with 20 lbs of boost 9,000 rpm redline and all quality forged internals and custom made billet parts will likely live longer than a run of the mill engine made with materials ill suited to engine use even if the engine displaces 10 liters. what i am arguing is an ironblocked iron head pushrod 7.4 liter v8 naturally aspirated making 500hp will not be under as much stress (regardless of material) as a 1.6 liter engine making the same amount of power

an aluminum block, aluminum heads and lightened fly wheel can fix that, why do you think the ls1 is lighter than a 2jz despite being almost twice it's size in terms of displacement

It's not though. That tt V12 struggles to make 700hp which the 7.4 would make reliably even naturally aspirated. Throw twin turbskies on the ls and it's not a competition.

youtube.com/watch?v=1JsUR_-YtmM

>ls1
pigfat compared to other ohc engines

ohc is lighter and makes more power. that's the point

Something sexy.

hi taxi

>That tt V12 struggles to make 700hp
lmao, the 6l turbo v12s in amgs make 700hp like its nothing, and 1000hp without sweat

>which the 7.4 would make reliably even naturally aspirated
huur it haz big displacement so automatically stronk! lmao, stop posting

>that video
>doesnt even make 600hp on the dyno
lmao

>it's another dumb GM fangirl thread

how disgusting

Helllllo phonsie!

busy with work? haven't seen you around.

yes, and i'm in college now, which sucks because i take up all of my time that it almost makes it impossible to communicate with you :,(

Hopefully life has treated you well while i was absent

I hope you are doing well in college. I know school can be hard at times. I'm glad you're furthering your education.

>hopefully life has treated you well
It actually has. I got to talk to you today.

Well that great to hear, hopefully i'll have more free time to communicate with you. and thank you very much

take care!

If only. Sleep well my love. My dreams are the only place where I'm actually awake.

good luck college

>using camshafts to determine lift

*with college

Pushrods can be superior in usage scenarios:
>With V engines
>Below 9000 RPM (road use) or 13000 RPM (race use)
>Without strict emissions, displacement and fuel economy regulations/goals
Drag racing and US road cars are good examples of this. Euro road cars, FIA race cars are examples where pushrods would clearly not work.

This would imply that wankel Rotary engines would be better, just because they're newer tech.