Electric Cars

So Volvo are only making electric cars from now on and France has pledged to ban all diesel and petrol engines in France by 2040.

The roar of a V8 will soon be a thing of the past, is this the beginning of the end guys?

Other urls found in this thread:

nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car/savings-calculator?next=model.charging_range.leaf.savings_calculator.button
youtu.be/dq4aOaDXIfY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Volvo will be making either hybrid or electric cars exclusively by 2019. Are you one of those people that say "seven billion" when the number is really "one million" those people

And then they will go out of business in 3 years because no one will buy them.

It is inevitable we are going to be seeing more and more electric cars, I predict that by 2040 there will actually be more electric vehicles in first world countries than petrol/diesel.

Once they sort out the range issues

My next car will be electric Im pretty sure

I almost got a Chevy Volt when I picked out my car but decided against it, last minute. My next car will probably be an electric as well. I'm just waiting for it to mature a little more.

Saying something and doing something are different. We will see how volvo does with the all electric promis. Remember fool cell Honda's?

Tesla model 3 will get over 200 mikes range, be RWD or AWD, look more or less like a normal sedan and have supercharging stations for long distance travel

The main issue still resides with the infastructure and charging. It takes me 5 minutes to stop and fill up my car with gas and gas stations are literally everywhere.
Superchargers still take a decent amount of time, and double that time if someone just got there before you. The only way gas stations will install them is if they can charge for their use, and prices will be high, because demand will be high.
I predict in the next 10 years we will start seeing places charging to use superchargers, and as soon as one person does it, prices are going to shoot up. Especially if there isn't much competition and it's the only one nearby, your consumers have no choice but to pay to use it. Unless they want to tow their car home.

In places like Europe, electric cars are feasible due to the small distances and high population densities.
In places like the USA and Australia, they just aren't realistic until the range increases, charging time decreases, and the infastructure expands dramatically.

I just bought a 2013 Nissan Leaf S for $6000.

It has 40k miles and 11/12 health bars. Driving it daily and getting 70~ish miles on a charge with AC on in Alabama heat.
The majority of my charging has been provided for free by various locations in the area that offer free L2 charging.

I don't care about CO2 emissions or the environment. I bought this car because I love efficiency, even when it is not necessary. I love being able to get 90% of my miles at no cost to me. Even if I got all of my charging from home, it would be less than half the cost per mile of gasoline. This car is crazy torquey and fun to drive. Free juice is a huge plus.

At $6000, 11/12 health bars, and 40k miles on the dial for a 2013, this is practically a steal. I can drive this car for 3-5 years, and when the battery gets weak around 2023 or so, I can just buy a 2017 Leaf or a used Bolt or something for another $6000. A used Nissan Leaf is an excellent way to break into the EV world today at a bargain price.

I still have a turbo Miata for road trips.

We will still see plenty of gasoline cars, especially with gas at $1.90 a gallon. Sales of large SUVs and trucks are picking back up, and full electric pickup trucks are a ways off yet.

We are going to see a growing infrastructure of fast chargers and DC fast chargers (0 to 80% in 30~ minutes).
Car companies will need to keep up or be left out.

Why not hybrids? I would have thought they would pick up faster and harder than fully electric, solely because of range/refueling.

>supercharger memes

From Texas to Dallas I think there are 5 total (including in the city). The first one will BARELY be reachable from Houston to Dallas. And likely some people won't make it. Not to mention you have to drive deep downtown to both cities to find one. And even then, if someone is using it, you have to wait. Once it's your turn, it will be an hour at least. Then you drive around the city doing your shit. You head BACK to the super charger. Wait your turn again. Charge up. Drive to Houston, HOPEFULLY make it, but you can't quite make it home, so you have to drive downtown to charge AGAIN.

Electric cars are for people who only travel within 50 miles of their house. INB4 having to buy a second car to do what one car can do.

>buying a new car even though your current one works fine because "muh electric"

Use that money on an appreciating asset, or a house.

>In places like the USA and Australia, they just aren't realistic until the range increases, charging time decreases, and the infastructure expands dramatically.
“My life fades. The vision dims. All that remains are memories. I remember a time of chaos. Ruined dreams. This wasted land. But most of all, I remember the Road Warrior. The man we called “Max”.

To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time. When the world was powered by the electricity and the desert sprouted great cities of solar panels and wind turbines. Gone now, swept away. For reasons long forgotten, two mighty warrior tribes went to war and touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without electricity they were nothing. They built a house of straw. The humming machines faded and stopped. Their leaders talked and talked and talked. But nothing could stem the avalanche. Their world crumbled. The cities exploded. A whirlwind of looting, a firestorm of fear. Men began to feed on men.

On the roads it was a white-line nightmare. Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for fully charged battery. And in this maelstrom of decay, ordinary men were battered and smashed. Men like Max. The warrior Max. In the fires of a Tesla he lost everything. And became a shell of a man, a burnt out, desolate man, a man haunted by the demons of his past, a man who wandered out into the wasteland. And it was here, in this blighted place, that he learned to live again...”

it is meant to prop up the electric car industry so we dont go into shock when power plants running on fossil fuel run out at the same time we run out of fossil fuel for ICEs

>less than half the cost of gasoline
LOL wut?

>go to nissan website
>type in 35mpg car to compare to leaf
>average electric cost set
>gas at $2.40 (it's actually sub $2 right now)
>$363 a YEAR

>put in HYBRID mpg
>literally lose money with electric

It's for sure not HALF. Why do you electric faggots act like everyone will be able to charge for free?

nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car/savings-calculator?next=model.charging_range.leaf.savings_calculator.button

>and when the battery gets weak around 2023 or so

Wrong, I see you've been skipping the Electric shill lectures. When your 2013 batteries go bad in 10~ years, you'll be able to purchase 2023 batteries which will be improved tech and cost cheaper. Meaning you're actually getting a longer range than your car had stock in 2013. You don't have to worry about the batteries "fitting" or "being compatible" because it's all electricity and that shit is universal. With a couple adapters and other cheap shit you could power your car with phone batteries if you really wanted to.

I have no problem with electrics, there just aren't any electric cars out that are for me.
seems as though we're better off just converting our favorite fossil fuel car to electric to get what we want

I would get a used EV, but I just need 180ish miles on a charge for my use case. Maybe in a few years used bolts and T3s will be under 10 grand.

>Alabama power electrical rates : $0.096587 per kWh (Without EV discount bill rider)
>Round that way up to $0.1 (ten cents) per kWh
>Nissan Leaf, 24 kWh battery, 21 kWh usable due to reserve capacity
>cost to fully charge 21 kWh : $2.10
>Can drive 85~ miles on $2.10
>Car only cost $6000. Goes 85 miles on $2.10.

>Most charging stations are free. The vast majority (90%) of my charging is done at these free stations while I shop.
>Average cost per charge after factoring free charging : $0.21
>Average cost per mile : $0.0025

>$35-40k for a Chevy Cruze

Electric is shit. Tens of thousands more for an equivalent gas vehicle.

>thinks houses appreciate in value relative to upkeep and maintenance ignoring location and purchase price

Do you also believe > can't spent too much on education?

Like everything. It depends.

youtu.be/dq4aOaDXIfY

Hnnggh. What phone was this on?

I stoped reading at Alabama. Then I started fapping.

Damn right you did.

That poor EVSE. You can already see the cable warped from improper spooling.

and when the power plants run out of fossil fuel thats as food as its going to get with alternative energy

if we want the tech to be ready by then we invest now

>buy old leaf for 6k or whatever
>buy a replacement 50kwh pack for 7k or whatever
>have a 13k EV that can go 130 miles

someone stop me

how do electric cars fare in -22f to -40f weather because here we need electric block heaters even for gasoline cars to get working

would you not, maybe pull the car forwards another metre rather than stretch the cable to it's absolute length?

or I dunno, maybe unroll the cable more

No one makes such a pack. You cant use the newer 30kW packs in a Leaf that had 24kW originally for example. It would take a lot of mods.

OnePlus 3T

Then maybe you should stop buying cars made out of plastic and lithium

I'm glad to hear you have a good experience with the Leaf. I'd like a Leaf.

i want an electric motorcycle in a couple years when they're better

Is that your Volt? It's nice.

It was a loaner car while my CTS-V was getting serviced. Why anyone would own a piece of shit electric car is beyond me.

Good. All the voltcucks can die in massive fucking explosions whenever their shitty ass batteries explode when their shitty pajeet driving software fails because they're too busy texting on their shitty iphones

Lower life-cycle emissions
Lower operating costs
Quiet operation
Instant power
No gear changes
Less maintenance
Refueling at home

These are some of my favorite reasons. I'd like to try the new Volt.

>A democracy has pledged to do something less than feasible

Their politicians are qualified to win popularity contests, not necessarily qualified to rule.

There is a reason democracies either fuck up marvelously or go back on their word with a million exemptions and alternatives the moment they start work on their grand ideas.

No, those batteries will be proprietary and will not work in your car. Even if an atttempt at standards were made, 2023 EV frames will be sparser and stronger and the batteries will be bigger to match, making them impossible to fit. Even compact car batteries would be too fat for your 2013EV, and the retrofit costs would encourage buying a new vehicle. Sure, someone could make one to fit your car, but after 10 years, it's a longshot. How many people still make airboxes for early 2000s motorcycles, should you want to get rid of dumb aftermarket pod filters? Nobody.

And even so, there's no guarantee batteries will get better at all, so you might just have present day tech, but with more cells because there's more room in modern cars.

I think it's cool how current low-range EVs will get more practical over time as more public charging stations are built.

>quiet operation
>no gear changes
>improvements
Does your husband know you're gay?

>Lower life-cycle emissions

Thats nice considering the manufacture of the car puts out about 8 years worth of gas driving emissions. Oops.

Most cars last longer than eight years.

and most people buy a new car within two

Okay.

And how much is used to produce a typical car? Less?

Posted from a previous thread:

The "study" which gives the 8 year number a product of the Principia Scientific International, which is a a disinfo org ran by John O'Sullivan, a climate change denier. (he thinks CO2 is a global coolant, lmao)

The ""researchers"" in the ""study"" don't actually study car brand batteries, how they were produced or what electrical mix they used. The calculation is simply based on the assumption that the electricity mix used by the battery factory consists of energy generated by more than 50% fossil fuels.

It goes something like, they took the ~150kg of CO2 "produced" per kWh of battery, multiplied it by the battery size in a tesla, and extrapolated it over 12,000 km of driving and and used that to determine how the 8 year bullshit.

It's literal fake news.

>France has pledged to ban all diesel and petrol engines in France by 2040.

Don't go believing everything Nicolas Hulot says. Also, I can't wait to see the number of NPPs quadruple to provide enough electricity for every glorified bumper car while the left will be screaming to end every nuclear reactor in the country.
That's gonna be fun.
I'm sure we'll end up like the krauts, firing up again the old coal power plant because it's cheaper than those fancy windmill and solar panels.