Rotaries are dead because they leave fuel unburnt and can't meet emission standards

>rotaries are dead because they leave fuel unburnt and can't meet emission standards
So, what if you add an extra rotor where the intake is the exhaust gases of the previous rotors, perhaps with some clean air, and ignite the exhaust gases of the previous rotors with no added fuel to burn up all the unburnt fuel from before?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary_air_injection
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_Rotary_Combustion_Engine
motortrend.com/news/mazda-files-for-patent-on-new-rotary-engine/
autoblog.com/2017/03/17/mazda-patents-show-rotary-engine-range-extended-ev/
roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/videos/a27838/how-koenigseggs-wild-freevalve-engine-runs-without-camshafts/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

didn't they try this in the 80s to marginal success? only it was recycling the exhaust and not with another cylinder

FUND IT
U
N
D

I
T

>not having a turbocharger that's actually just a really small third rotor that runs off of the exhaust gases

How are you going to add fresh air to the exhaust gas?

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary_air_injection

Fair enough
But there's no way an additional rotor could run off what little unburnt gas there is coming from the exhaust, let alone produce enough power to overcome the additional parasitic losses

Obligatory

>Summer

Rotaries are dead because of piss-poor marketing, r&d, and putting 4 seats where only 2 should have gone. The 787 had more technology that for some reason was left out of the Renesis, and as a result, the Renesis was only slightly better than the Wankel. But because it had no turbo, and was sold to little daddy's girls or general mid-aged pretenders, the common retarded Veeky Forumstist all believed statements about blown engines being an engine problem without looking at the facts of retarded drivers and bad maintenance. Because of this, the Renesis wasn't given the attention it deserved.

It also didn't help that Mazda fucked up with the first wave of RX8s. This gave the Renesis a bad name right from the get go.

This
but what the renisis really needed was a separate tank for burnable oil that in emergencies uses the crankcase oil like normal but also reduces performance.
air and water injection in the exhaust could solve alot of problems as well

Rotaries will never comeback because of the shape of the housing it has to be milled out. Then you have to coat the inside of the housing if you want it to last more than 5k miles. Then you have to seal this large area inside of the rotary side seals apex seals crankcase seals.

what are apex seals made of and why isnt there some space age witchcraft material we can make them from to kill the "apex seals" meme.

then we can shitpost about the 4mpg and maintenence instead.

Thats called the EGR port senpai

>But there's no way an additional rotor could run off what little unburnt gas there is coming from the exhaust,
We are talking about rotaries here, there is enough unburnt fuel to idle a blown 426 hemi.

I know nothing about engine manufacturing processes but it seems to me that manufacturing a rotary would be less expensive and complex than making a conventional engine once economy of scale kicks in

Well the maintenance meme mostly comes from Apex seals as far as I know, so it's basically just economy at that point.

>just premix so the engine lasts
>car wont pass smog and smokes like a 2 stroke now
Yeah man, this will totally fly, mazda salesman tells you "yeah man, wink wink you might wanna add oil to the gas wink wink, you don't happen to be an epa agent right?"
fucking idiot

Rotary hybrids would be amazing. Have the electric motor supply torque at low RPM and fade off as the rotary gains power. It would also help fuel economy, and it would be great coupled with secondary air injection to burn off unused fuel.

Apparently GM fixed the Apex seal issue in the 70s but cut development of the rotary Corvette and trashed the blueprints because GM. But that means that an Apex seal solution is possible.

sauces?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_Rotary_Combustion_Engine

Not him, and I know wikipedia so take it with a grain of salt, (and take these claims with a grain of salt too because some of it is bound to of been them hyping it'd debut) but they were claiming pretty high engine life as you can see. But they also had issues early on, I don't know if they really fixed all of the issues with it.

The project is pretty interesting originally was going to be for the Vega, and then the Monza, but devlopment cut short, plus there were the two rotary corvette concepts (one with a 180HP two rotor and a 420HP four rotor one that eventually had a V-8 put in it) the Pacer was also meant to get it but AMC got screwed out of it when the GM Rotary project was quietly shelved and then had to go another route.

Ceramic Rotary Engine
-Ceramic engines can run waaaayy hotter and won't wear the same. Lighter too
-Offest chambers to increase efficiency
-Laser Focal Igniters with smaller holes, no pressure loss and more precise detonation
-Super flexible fuel. Can run petrol, NG, LP, hydrogen, and a slew of others.
The hotter operational temperatures would burn off all of the fuel. IMO, a hydrogen ceramic rotary would be a great generator for EV hybrids.

>starts ingnition
>engine shatters into pieces like a grenade, destroying anything placed directly by it

yeah, didn't think about that did you. Maybe in the future though if an less brittle ceramic was created. No variations today seems like they would stand up to the test of being an ICE.

>bump into something
>engine assplode
noice

it looks like a transmission, interesting
>mount the transmission directly to the rear diff
>stack rotors through the transmission tunnel until you reach the front of the car
you could make a powerful, if hard to service, rotary like that. I mean, the center hump would be a bit big, but not terrible

GM tried a 2 rotor engine, but it could'nt pass the poloution laws.

A direct injection rotary is the most likely possibility. Cooling is still a big issue, so water injection would be also be good(consumer fill 5gal tank with DI water). AOS is going to be a must. Burning oil is the biggest hurdle.

How will the motor be lubricated without burning oil? Solve this and you could see a rotary again.
EGR will build up carbon like plaque on a hicks tooth.

variable compression, direct injection, and servo controlled valves would help a lot with emissions as well as power. the big thing to prevent oil burning is improving the apex seals' durability.

>engine powered by fucking lasers

i don't care if it breaks when i drop a wrench on top of it, sign me up.

invent non-combustible oil

If you feel like going into it, look up all the newer patents Mazda have on rotaries since the rx8.
They seriously have some neat ideas going around to make them more efficient in every field. Problem is that they just arent big enough company to dump money into it and experiment properly.

motortrend.com/news/mazda-files-for-patent-on-new-rotary-engine/
autoblog.com/2017/03/17/mazda-patents-show-rotary-engine-range-extended-ev/

Synthetics already have flame retardants in them, and since it doesn't burn, it accumulates on the spark plugs and fouls them, and leaves residues that can make the seals stick, requiring a tear down.

That's why conventional oil is recommended because it burns clean. If the oil doesn't burn, it still has to go somewhere. The Idemitsu synthetic rotary oil is specifically formulated so that it does burn clean, but without extensive testing on all the other brands available, it's easier to just stick to conventional.

Its more expensive because of the shape of the housing. You can just forge a block and bore holes in it in a piston engine and add a steel sleeve depending of the material of the block and they already have the tooling for piston engines.

The shape is a figure 8 which milling it is expensive because you really need a CNC to do it which mades it expensive on a mass scale.

Obligatory

Rotaries are one of histories novelties. Like the 2 stroke and the Japanese.

I have no idea what you are talking about, but your first two ">'s" are about as uneducated as a typical bandwagon jumper can be. Do your research before talking shit about something you've clearly never driven/owned.

No, no it wouldn't.

First, nobody who willingly owns a rotary does so for fuel economy.

Second, nobody who willingly owns a rotary drives below 4500 rpm.

Third, I'm going to need a source on the GM statement. I hate most GM vehicles and find them plagued with illogical issues. Same with Dodge. Fucking change the tranny fluid, fucking PCM blows up. How? Fucking how?

Oh man I haven't seen this in several years. It warms my heart knowing it hasn't been forgotten.

>didn't think about that did you
You do know that could be said for EVERY engine ever made, right? Didn't think about that, did you?

All engines are essentially contained explosions. Emphasis on "contained."

>not the guy you responded to
>no idea if a ceramic engine would even work, but I would only assume proper tuning and development would go into an engine to prevent it from exploding upon the turn of a key or push of a button...

>GM's marketed dorito engine was supposedly made out of unobtanium-tier reliability materials
>had shit power but claimed to last for a shit ton of time and had almost all but fixed the apex seal consume
>the engine was done in blueprints, likely to have prototypes working
>new CEO decides "lolno" and scraps everything
>they dont give their findings to mazda when they were the only ones making dorito engines

It truly hurts to see people bitch about doritos not being a perfect engine when it had so little development time and companies that develop them have to start from scratch. They are in theory some of the best sports/race engines.

this and
This is exactly right. Mazda needs to find themselves and turn their company around if we are ever going to see real progress made with the rotary.

I mean, koenigsegg recently announced some badass engine technology that increases everything good while removing weight from the engine. They have a proper R&D dept. Mazda needs to take out a loan and grow a little.

roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/videos/a27838/how-koenigseggs-wild-freevalve-engine-runs-without-camshafts/