ATF flush vs drain

So I'm looking into replacing the transmission fluid in the truck I just bought. The fluid is still red and it doesn't smell burnt, but the guy who sold it to me did do a lot of towing. Its also a high mileage truck {250k)

Now, I've been reading more and more than doing a full flush at the dealership can be dangerous (they use a machine to drain the liquid, apparently you can dislodge things that might fuck up the tranny, yadda yadda), drain and fill won't replace all of it, but might be better

so is this true or what? my tranny works perfectly fine as far as I can tell. I'm just obnoxious about scheduled maintenance, but at the same time, I don't want to fuck my shit up

tl;dr: Are machine operated full flushes bad for older trannies, is a drain and fill a better option?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_tuneup
youtube.com/watch?v=c-7TYJ6VxKk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

If you do it when scheduled on the manual you could but since you don't know if the transmission fluid is the original or when the last time it's been changed I would just drain the fluid and refill and change trans filter if you can

Just do a drain every 10k or so miles, ATF Bottles are like 10-15 per qt so its like 30-45 dollars versus the 250 or some shit they charge for your 75k full flush. It's just easier and cheaper.

What I do when I buy a car with unknown history is undo a tranny cooler line at the radiator, buy a gallon of atf.

Have the cracked line in a gallon jug, and run the car for 20 seconds or so increments adding new atf so ideally you have a gallon drained and a gallon added.

Do this every oil change and you slowly purify your atf, without any drastic changes.

It's also easy as fuck.

if the transmission isn't slipping noticeably, I usually recommend drain, fill, Italian tuneup, then drain and refill. if you keep it clean you won't have to rely on gunk to hold it together later in life

If it is slipping then what?

don't touch it, just top off the fluid. if the fluid looks burnt, you'll likely have to do the change anyway so best of luck

>Italian tuneup
What did he mean by this

The fluid isn't burnt but it's still slipping what do?

Should I do a tranny flush or drain if my gearbox has "hard" shifts?
>e.g: when braking and the gearbox is downshifting, the downshifts create a noticeable jerking motion

Could be plugged filter.

Would it matter if it only did it between second and third gear? And even then it doesn't always slip?

>italian tuneup
>on a transmission
you keep using that word...

That is an interesting idea user, I've done flushes like that. I wonder if the risk of valve body clogging is reduced by slowly changing shit dirty atf with clean. I can't imagine it would help a worn clutch pack, probably hurt it, if I recall correctly.

Worn clutch packs in the transmission, requires rebuild to solve.

someone pls reply

foot to the floor, give it max revs. it shakes lose the crap that builds up from normal driving.
torque converter or DCT?

torque converter

purpose is different, procedure is the same. rather than burn off crap, you break it lose.

does it bog the engine when you come to a complete stop from highway cruising speeds?

>its got its own page
I laughed.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_tuneup

Yeah that's why rotaries need to be redlined often too

The name sounds funny as fuck but it makes perfect sense physics-wise

Not really, no

how's your fluid level? does it smell or look burnt?

Gonna be honest, I haven't checked it since I barely learned how to actually check it (VAGshit)

Note: I dont mean this like "hurrrr I just figured out where the ATF dipstick wuz!"; VAGshit engineers decided to eschew an ATF dipstick option so I found out just a couple weeks ago that I have to actually get underneath and undo the transmission drain plug just so I can check the transmission fluid

dammit, hanz. this is basically "take it to the dealer or it's your fault when the transmission slips"
I think BMW has been doing this for a while now

Wul...apparently I can replace the fluid + filter on my own at home according to my "friendly YouTube redneck", but I'm just wondering if doing this will remedy the "hard (down)shifting" problem or if it's just a temporary measure for some more dire problem

youtube.com/watch?v=c-7TYJ6VxKk

>yes
>he is literally filling the gearbox with fresh ATF through the sensor/solenoid port, because """"""""""German Engineering""""""""""

my thought is that the level is higher than it should be, and the converter grabs faster and harder than it should. could be wrong though

I don't even know how to check the "'level" of ATF in the gearbox, just whether or not it's burnt/smelly...I really am considering getting rid of this for something else but I can't afford that at the moment

drain it, measure out the amount removed.
check the manual for the needed ATF amount.

Thanks, fampai.