First-time car purchase

Just like most other retards wandering onto this board, I'm looking to buy a car. This will be my first vehicle, since I didn't really need one until now.

I'm looking to get an SUV or a minivan, since I have kids and might need to haul some friends or cargo every now and again. I want to be able to take it out to the mountains for skiing in winter, so having AWD would be nice (got stuck more than once in FWD cars).

Budget is ~40K USD

I live in Japan, so most euro makes are too expensive and most american ones aren't even sold here. Given that, I'll probably stick with a japanese brand, unless there's a really good reason not to.

So far, the top contenders are:
Toyota C-HR at ~28K
Toyota Noah at ~32K
Mitsubishi Outlander at ~32K
Toyota Harrier at ~38K
Mitsubishi Delica D5 at ~40K (this would've been my first choice if it wasn't also the most expensive)

Is any one of those an obviously good (or terrible choice)? Or is there anything better that Veeky Forums can recommend within the price range? Any advice is appreciated.

Base Forester with manual

EVO Wagon

forester, legacy wagon etc..

subaru best option here

Not sure what this is. If you're talking about the Mitsu - don't think that model is sold here.

Thanks, anons. I'll check it out. Although, I don't think you can get a Forester with a manual here even in the cheapest trim.

In America non XT models have manual option. If not a Crosstrek should have the option

Nope, even the base model is CVT. Same for XV (which is the closest thing to Crosstrek on sale here).

Disregard that, I'm retarded. Didn't notice the second one from the top.

bump

Why not get the vezel instead of the ch-r which is ultimately rubbish?

fuck suv fuck minivan.
Get something with 4 seats and fun.
You don't need that fucking minivan or suv, you are just fucking too much of a pussy to make a compromise that will make you happy.
Get GTR or old lancer evo, some kar that will make your kids cool at school and make them nostalgic instead of some dreary cuck safety fetishism prison on wheels that makes them dread for adult life.
Need to carry firends cargo? Either tell him to fuck off since you can't or borrow a van from someone. That shit is not worth turning your daily commutes and drives into a fucking boring inconveinience between point a and b.
Stop being a normie pussy faggot
Be a real man. A man who smiles every time they crank that engine. A man whose kids ask him "daddy when are we going for A DRIVE!"

fuck suv fuck minivan.
Get something with 4 seats and fun.
You don't need that fucking minivan or suv, you are just fucking too much of a pussy to make a compromise that will make you happy.
Get GTR or old lancer evo, some kar that will make your kids cool at school and make them nostalgic instead of some dreary cuck safety fetishism prison on wheels that makes them dread for adult life.
Need to carry firends cargo? Either tell him to fuck off since you can't or borrow a van from someone. That shit is not worth turning your daily commutes and drives into a fucking boring inconveinience between point a and b.
Stop being a normie pussy faggot
Be a real man. A man who smiles every time they crank that engine. A man whose kids ask him "daddy when are we going for A DRIVE!" A man who can give something to his children that serves as an useful tool and a great pasttime.

If you still go "no i want suv or van" get the fuck out of here and ask your normie friends. All suvs and vans are dogshit boring.

oh shut the fuck up already

auto suv cuck detected. Enjoy never understanding cars

literally what?
>assmad meme car lover
Op clearly said hes looking for a suv/van why bother shoving your opinion in when it has nothing to do with the topic. Summerfags like you ruin this place.

LOL GET A LOAD OF THIS GUY.

who the fuck cares all suvs and vans are the same shit, the most exciting thing about them being reliability. This is coming from someone who changed their hyperpractical and safe suv for a featherweight sports car with 0 practicailty

Why the fuck would you go to a board filled with autistic car people to get opinions on your future shitty safety hugbox on wheels that only cost you monthly paymenrs.
You don't go on /v/ to ask about best candy crush strats
you don't go on /mu/ to discuss your favorite jb songs
you don't go on /k/ to talk how war is bad and how we should ban guns

Either fucking buy a real car that changes your life for the better or get the fuck out

shut the fuck up nobody wants to talk to you. Go away shoo summerfriend

You must be the summerfriend if you think that you can get sound advice on a board filled with people who have never been to the track but believe they'd do well if they got the latest meme car with the best 1/4 mile time.

I'm saying you're a faggot for not irrationally hating on stupid shit that is killing car industry for the enthusiast.
But you probs hate gt86 too so fucking neck yourself my friend.
Speaking of which gt86 is a great choice too op, just cut the legs off your children

Because I'm retarded and know very little about cars? But the vezel also looks pretty good for my needs.

>commute
>fun
Have you ever driven in Tokyo, m8? Unless your route actually comes out to the Wangan or somewhere closer to Kanagawa/Yokohama, it's nothing like your racing animes.

Also
>ask your normie friends
None of my normie friends own cars. Which is why I'm here in the first place, fag.

>No you

Literal summerfriend confirmed.

Vezel would be best for you needs. I have the HRV..same thing basically . I like it and basically have the same needs as you.

I have driven the hrv which is basically the same thing. I think it would fit your needs...test drive one buddy

>implying you have to hit 300mph on wangan or all wheel doriftu while delivering tofu down akina to have fun
just do yourself a favor and get a skyline or some shit

RREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>my knowledge of cars is based on Veeky Forums
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE SUMMER HAS JUST BEGUN

Buy an AWD Supercharged toyota estima. If you can do without AWD/4WD, get a HiAce.

>One of the most fucking crazy production minivans ever made

best first car

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I think this would be a good compromise for OP between practicality and fun.

That Alto is surprisingly sweet looking.
The asymmetry really works with it.

LEWD!

This or Pajero Evo

Honda Civic for about 3k. Certainly don't bother with a new car. Complete waste of money. Get one that's been used.

How much do Mega Cruisers go for?

This actually looks nice, except the fact that I can't fit into the driver's seat in most k-cars (too tall).

>HiAce
That thing is just a bit too barebones without any aftermarket mods, which I probably won't be able to afford. Not to mention the fact that I'd have to upgrade my license to really make use of it.

Pajero is actually a nice-looking option, if a bit expensive.

Buying used is something I didn't really consider, since I basically know jack shit about cars and am likely to overpay for a rusted turd. But it might be worth researching. A 3K Civic would likely cost me twice as much in taxes and road inspection alone though.

The cheapest used one I saw was almost twice my budget, about 75K.

>Non-wrx Subaru with a manual
The.... they make them better in Japan right?

Surprised AM general didn't sue toyota for this near chinese level of ripoff

bump

Talk me out of buying a used '08 RAV4. It's got 40000 km on it and costs just under 10K, so I can just go and take it off the dealer's hands, without bothering with loans.

Well worth going used in my opinion. You'll avoid the worst of the depreciation you get on a new car and if it's something still relatively new, it may well be covered by manufacturer's warranty. If you decide to go for an older or higher mileage used car, you'll have to research all known faults and flaws with the model, at how many years or mileage they start to show. Check service history to see it's been properly maintained by previous owners and if any known issues have been addressed. You should be able to find a maintenance schedule for most vehicles online and check if any larger parts are nearing replacement. Belts and chains for example.

Maintaining an old meme car in japanland is expensive and a hassle because of their safety inspections (shaken). It's not the same as keeping a rusty shitbox running in the US with cheap smog tests and fix it tickets.

It wasn't sold in the US, so there's no conflict of interest/competition.

What do you think about this one then ?