Direct Injection

I keep on seeing this direct injection term thrown around. What does it mean and why is it something I want?

it is 2017 nigger, 2k17.

"The invention of direct gasoline injection was by the French inventor of the V8 engine configuration, Leon Levavasseur in 1902."

this is why the rest of the world thinks you are idiots.

That explained absolutely nothing important

The problem with direct injection is gas cleans the intake valves but direct injection can't do that. Intake valves get dirty because modern cars recycle exhaust through an egr.

nigger you can't even tie your own shoe laces why the fuck should i bother copy pasting this shit from wikipedia

Am I the only person who becomes hard at the thought of directional injection?

Wikipedia is your friend. You don't need to care what it means, just know that pretty much every engine next decade will have it. Your mechanic will know what it means and how to deal with it.

on Veeky Forums it seems to be a shitty forced meme

i direct injected your mom last night

there is literally no benefit to direct injection

What are those 4 horns in the engine for anons?

Could it possibly mean fuel is injected directly into the cylinder rather than before the intake valve?

I thought it was in a normal car there is the possibility of fuel going around the engine but in a directly injected the car the fuel doesn't have the chance to not go through the engine.

Like "cam shafts"

Resonance induced combustion. Top secret stuff, I don't know where OP found the image.

Vuvuzelas user, what did you think the V in V6 / V8 stood for

Most cars have been multiport fuel injected, which just sprayed fuel in front of the valve in the runners.

Direct injection sprays fuels directly into the combustion chamber. This is helpful for a lot of reasons:
>Decreases displacement of air on intake.
>Increases evaporative cooling - can run higher compression ratios.
>No wall wetting in runners - better fuel control.
>Can do stratified charges - increasing compression ratio and allowing leaner mixtures.

But they can "make" the valves dirtier by not having injectors to clean them. This can be fixed by adding duel injectors. Also, injectors are more expensive since they need higher pressures.

does it have direct injection?

Please go away

It gives you like +2 mpg and makes your valves not self cleaning.

Oh no, it's [CURRENT YEAR]! Guess I better throw away my perfectly good, completely adequate carburetor just because some time passed!

>perfectly good
>doesn't adjust for elevation air density changes
>completely adequate
>literally throwing fuel away

>being so poor you can't even afford 18 mpg on 87
>implying elevation change matters on a DD with a 10 mile commute
>being so pathetically unskilled you can't stop and retune your carb on a road trip once you start noticing power loss from elevation

Just because it makes the engine turn over doesn't mean it is doing a good job of it.

>just spraying fuel down a long hallway
>praying it gets to the cylinders
>just in case dump more fuel
>18 mpg on a good day so american

>pushrods