/sthg/ Sonic the Hedgehog General

Welcome to Sonic The Hedgehog General. Here we discuss Sonic games as well as the entire franchise including cartoons and comics. Share art, music, talk about new developments, discuss ROM hacks speedrunning, and more!

/sthg/ #756 - Shadow in Persona edition

>Link CompilationDrawfag/Writefag Idea WallsGeneral Interest LinksSonic News

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/yIOGU00044w
youtu.be/dRgqOL3T1do
youtu.be/rpalKeWBrBY
youtu.be/ExUtW369jok
youtu.be/9JgKvrZjZqE
twitter.com/SonicJPNews/status/861565031997202433
twitter.com/babylonian/status/852298423931854848
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I removed the Archie to send email part because it's past April.

Better thread with no gayness. Thanks
Anyone tried that new Shiness game? Apparently its alot like Skies of Arcadia

youtu.be/yIOGU00044w
youtu.be/dRgqOL3T1do

>Balenaproductions

Don't start.

So why did Sonic Team feel the need to create a new character for Forces instead of using one of the established characters? Especially since the other characters already have fans that would love the chance to play as them again?

It's good but the combat can be a bit back and forth.

Maybe it's another Chip situation. He is probably connected to why Eggman conquered most of the world.

If they use an existing character and the gameplay turns out shit then the character's reputation will tank

God forbid they introduce anything new to the franchise without asking their schizophrenic fans for permission first.

But they already have so many characters they refuse to use.

Yeah but honestly I'd like it if the combat were a bit slower and the regular specials worked from hit confirming rather than mashing the 3 or so buttons in quick succession.

Too bad, faggot. If they fit the part then they aren't used.

youtu.be/rpalKeWBrBY
BREAKFAST TIME BREAKFAST TIME BREAKFAST TIME BREAKFAST TIME BREAKFAST TIME BREAKFAST TIME BREA BREA BREA BREA BREAKFAST TIME

What would the sonic characters arcanas be?

*If they don't fit the part

Now then, now that the comics are gone, I move that all discussion regarding them be moved to /co/ or /trash/ they no longer have a place here.

I move that you remove the cock from your mouth, but that's just as unlikely as your proposal.

>Welcome to Sonic The Hedgehog General. Here we discuss Sonic games as well as the entire franchise including cartoons and comics. Share art, music, talk about new developments, discuss ROM hacks speedrunning, and more!

I guess we gotta remove the comics part from the OP now.

To be fair we never have real comic discussion anyway. Every time a discussion starts it's cut off with REEE COMICSFAGS or (insert billionth valid argument on why the Freedom Fighters shouldn't exist)

>To be fair
No need to hold back.

When was the last time we had a civil discussion about ANYTHING before it was derailed by shitposting, let alone the comics? Closest I can remember is the museum fanlevel.

How come Sonic the Comics aren't instead discussed in /co/?

I mean isn't this usually a General for Sonic games or am I just too single minded focused on that since I never gave Archie a single cent?

Nah.

Comic discussion wouldn't be a problem if it didn't consist of heavy waifufaggotry and saying it's better than every other continuity.

This general was created to continue discussion following a marathon of comics on /v/. Not /co/, /v/. This general has always been comics-based and it's only newfags like you who don't realize it.

That kinda proves his point of why it can't go to /co/. I myself would like to discuss Sonic the FRANCHISE as a whole, not one of it's niche brands.

You know it's not mutually exclusive right? Discuss the games or the cartoons or whatever else you want.

>I myself would like to discuss Sonic the FRANCHISE as a whole
Then do it, cunt.

Rude ass.

If they use a new character and the gameplay turns out shit then the franchise's reputation will tank.

>implying I am a newfag
Welcome Home honey~

Wheres my Sonic /mu/ Bros at?
youtu.be/ExUtW369jok

youtu.be/9JgKvrZjZqE
Dooo doo do do du doo doo dooo~

This probably.
twitter.com/SonicJPNews/status/861565031997202433

>I want you to give him attention not only as a character or a game[style]
>him

So much for making waifus.

They haven't made a mainline female since Blaze, you were foolish for even expecting that. I'm really fucking hoping this guy isn't a cat or that he has abilities somebody in the reject pile already has

Oh god is it Iizuka's self insert?

What if the new character is blaze's brother?

>I'm really fucking hoping this guy isn't a cat or that he has abilities somebody in the reject pile already has
Really wondering what abilities they could give him that would be at least interesting.

Nope, he'll either begon after this game like chip and tikal and gemerl or he'll be on par with sonic,shadow and silver. I'll be surprised if they don't have him be a hedgehog.

He'll have the ability to cheer on the Sonics while they do everything.

>tfw the golden age of sonic has long since passed

I'm really hoping this character is a one-off thing. They had the chance to do that with Shadow and it would've made his death so impactful, but they cheapened it by having him return in other games with some half assed excuse about how he survived. Like another user said, the way they did it with Chip would be ideal. I don't know about you guys but I was sad as fuck when he sacrificed himself.

>Unleashed will have it's 10th anniversary next year
Jesus, where does the time go? I still remember the hype i felt watching the trailer as a 10 year old and spending a couple hours drawing fanart of the werehog. I even took the time to mail it to SEGA of America (which is kinda dumb in retrospect considering I live on the other side of the country) and they sent a letter back a month later along with a copy of issue #175 in the hopes that it would inspire me to keep drawing. Probably my coolest childhood memory.

That's actually pretty hilarious if you think about it.

>"Oh cool, this guy really like Sonic."
>"Let's mail him a comic where Sonic gets his ass kicked, his home burns down, and all of his friends get vaporized."

>I don't know about you guys but I was sad as fuck when he sacrificed himself.

But Chip didn't die. He and Dark Gaia are sleeping. They just wake up once every tens of thousands of years. So they're kinda treated as being dead because we'll probably never see them again outside mobile game cameos like Runners.

Being a Silverfag is fucking suffering.
>Tfw he will only appear in spinoff games
>The he will never be story relevant again

Character deaths, unless they're in backstory like Maria, never work out in a series like Sonic. If the death has meaning then it means the character is popular enough that there's incentive for the company to bring them back. If they're not popular enough then the death is meaningless. Funny enough, the only way they can get around that is through create-a-character, because then the character has no canon appearance or personality to bring back.

>Send fanart to Sega
>Get free copy of LIMIT!
>Kinda dumb in retrospect
What logic are you running on?

Only reason Shadow came back is because people actually liked him, unlike Chip.

I meant the fact that I mailed it was dumb. It would've been a lot easier if I just emailed it. They didn't respond for a while month and I was bummed out because I thought they didn't get it

Hey, he shares the same fate as the majority of characters in the games.

>Woah! That must be the Lost Hex! Legends say that every thousand or so years, pieces fall off and land on our world, creating new masses of land and landmarks! But no one has ever seen it before!

I wanna see Shade again, how do you think I feel? It almost feels like SEGA is intentionally ignoring most of its characters. And most of its IPs as well.

>If the death has meaning then it means the character is popular enough that there's incentive for the company to bring them back.
I'm pretty sure a huge part of Shadow's popularity was BECAUSE he had a meaningful death, not the other way around.
>Funny enough, the only way they can get around that is through create-a-character, because then the character has no canon appearance or personality to bring back.
Remind me again why everyone keeps pushing the create-a-character idea when they pretty much confirmed that it's not?

>He is probably connected to why Eggman conquered most of the world.
The question is why did they write the plot in such a way that there is a completely new playable character. By this time they should have learnt that you have to ask fans for permission before pulling such shit.

If everything in SA2 happened the exact same, only after beating Final Hazard both Sonic and Shadow go back to the Ark and Shadow talks about how he remembered Maria's wishes and will now fight to give humanity a chance, he'd be just as popular.

And I'm not saying it'll be a create-a-character, just saying that they could get around the issues with character deaths that way. I don't think the new character will die either.

>I wanna see Shade again, how do you think I feel? It almost feels like SEGA is intentionally ignoring most of its characters. And most of its IPs as well.

The difference between us is that Silver starred in a main-series game and there's no legal bullshit holding them back from using him, unlike with Shade. And with Forces being a story that involves time travel, there's even more reason to bring him back as opposed to using a whole new character.

The new character is post-modern Sonic. Also, every game from now on will have his as the protagonist, the Sonic you have now will be history, along with classic Sonic.

>Forces
>involving time travel

Actually Classic is from a whole other universe now.

And no one will care.

I'm pretty sure that's just a marketing gimmick for kids who haven't heard of Classic Sonic before.

>Actually Classic is from a whole other universe now.

Since when? Generations established Classic Sonic is a younger Modern Sonic from the past.

I want the stupid chinks to leave this franchise alone.

>don't care about classic sonic at all
>get to hear and see cute little Tails again.

He was just so cute in generations

>implying generations is canon

Only old people have played generations now.

>canon
>implying implications

It's canon to forces at least, considering the fact that this game is generations 2 in everything but name

Assuming this isn't bait. Why wouldn't it be? And who said Classic Sonic was from another universe?

Generations was a spin-off.

That guy is retarded anyway tho.

I thought Generations was considered to be a "main-series" game. This is the first time I'm hearing it called a spin-off.

Again, this could be marketing. After all, it's been a while since Generations, and most kids by now have got into the franchise by either Lost World or Boom. Calling him an AU Sonic makes sense for kids who haven't heard of the classic games.

They wouldn't have sent you the comic if it was emailed. Having a letter personally sent to you from their headquarters is a lot cooler than a sentence long reply to an email.

It's only been 5-6 years since generations. And all games since have been Nintendo exclusive. Chill the fuck down m8.

Well he is in Forces, so there's something I guess

>And all games since have been Nintendo exclusive.

That's the biggest problem, no kid wants to play on an Nintendo system. So only manchildren have played those games.

Source?

So...If we agree on that, why do you think most kids by now have gotten into the franchise by either Lost World or Generations?

I think Forces will feel more like a mainline title in that unlike Generations the theme isn't "100% nostalgia trip" this time, and the game presumably takes place in Sonic's world rather than a random white void.

Never said I agreed.

Lost world or Boom*

Fuck.

Whoops, meant to reply to

twitter.com/babylonian/status/852298423931854848

>unlike Generations the theme isn't "100% nostalgia trip" this time

Don't kid yourself, that first zone we saw Modern Sonic go through will be the only "original" zone. Not counting levels where all you do is fight a boss.

>Thinking any new kids have gotten into this series
>Especially Boom of all things
>Implying the fanbase isn't made up of mostly people who grew up with Sonic

Maybe Sonic's buddies will work as 'mentors' for your Oc's by completing their missions and getting their gear as an award.

Like Xenoverse

We agree that kids don't play Nintendo systems.

I add to that, the fact that 5 years isn't enough for an entire generation of kids to completely forget about Generations, especially when it's the last multi-platform release.

If anything we're in a Melee situation where we have more new people shitposting about Sonic than playing Sonic games, thanks to meme-man and his meme-squad of ebin youtube e-celebs

>We agree that kids don't play Nintendo systems.
......What?

>That's the biggest problem, no kid wants to play on an Nintendo system. So only manchildren have played those games.

Have you ever read YouTube comments?

Plenty of little kids think NINTENDO SHOULD BUY SANIC LOL

They don't. My little 7 year old cousin owns a PS4, my step-sister plays PC, and my step-brother owns multiple Xbox consoles. Nintendo is mostly just for sentimental neckbeards.

He's pulling things out of his ass.

not him but kids these days only care about being hip, pew die pie, and minecraft

They might express themselves like brain-damaged 10 year olds, but a lot of them are actually college students or older.

Nintendo is probably the only decent console manufacturer left, but is spot-on.