/CCG/ - Classic Car General

/CCG/ - Classic Car General

Are you going to finish that?
edition.

Generic copy/pasta incoming:

>Cars are considered classic at 25 years old, shopping carts not so much.

>Everybody has their own taste, enter if it's of age or rarity.

>Post your classic, your work on it, your hackery, and get advice

>Any and all discussion about classics welcome, but may not necessarily generate responses, don't get butthurt.

>Any and all classics welcome regardless of nationality, Canadian or American.

>Classic shitbox > modern shitbox

>Rust is a bitch, and not for the faint of heart; tread lightly and carry a rum and coke

>You will inevitably spend twice your budget, no exceptions unless you mint your own hash coins.

>Installing carpet sucks donkey dick

Other urls found in this thread:

ksl.com/auto/listing/3976811
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Im calling a machine shop tomorrow morning to have them check out the 289 i bought and see if it needs to be bored out or just rehoned, and what they'll charge to rebuild the heads.

Neat, if they don't want a arm and leg, leave there details, might have them do some work for me later.

>finally get to houston to garage the celica with my parents
>been driving it for weeks, comfortable with the 5spd
>buddy comes over
>hoon it, why not
>don't think I even hit 6k
>get home
>look under car
>PS fluid fucking everywhere
There's so much of it I can't even pinpoint the leak. At the very least, I found my freon leak while I was poking around in there, so the day wasn't a total loss

Finally gonna get around to messing with the car today. Will take some pictures later, and report on all the damage that isn't what I can clearly see without unfolding things and all that.

Going to go look at the Falcon/Ranchero today. Idk how i feel about trading the camaro for it.

Camaros
PROS:
>big V8 with 4spd
>its a car
>fast
>fiance likes it, especially since she helped me paint it.
>i know what it needs
CONS
>8mpg
>ugly inside and out
>not a cruiser
>maybe burns oil? (Sometimes it randomly vanishes)
>needs a lot of cosmetic stuff

Ranchero
PROS:
>20+MPG
>cruiser
>looks much nicer inside and out
>radio
CONS
>170 with 3 on column
>its a ranchero, dont need another bed
>fiance thinks its ugly
>unknown factors since it would be new to me.

Bump

>Start the car today
>Start driving out of parking space
>Flwup Flwup Flwup
>Goddamnit.jpg.exe

Looks like it's time to buy tires. At least I can now have some white letters.

Much rarer than a camaro, and your year isn't a fantastic 2nd gen, look wise. (78-81 looked the best).

Can put off road tires on it for a more aggressive look.

Go for the Ranchero! You don't see those often!

I found this and I'm maybe smitten. Please reason me out of it Veeky Forums

1978 Chevrolet Camaro ksl.com/auto/listing/3976811

>No Spoiler.
Into the trash it goes.

Looks decent. Idk about 5k. Gonna have to fix those fenders.

$640 to have my heads done:
Installed hardened valve seats
3 angle valve job on intake and exhaust sides.
4 new valves
All valves lapped and properly seated
Heads milled flat.
Everything reassembled and ready to install.

Thinking of buying this and maybe swapping in a different engine?

It's an opel kadett c '77

The black wall tires look more cop though... Do that or fat white walls imo

FUUUUCCCKK. OF FUCKING COURSE. THE ONE GUY WHO WAS SUPPOSED TO BUY MY CAR NEVER SHOWED UP, AND NOW THIS POPS UP RIGHT BY ME!!!!!! FUCKKKKK

Is there a way to tell if a small block Chevy has hydraulic or flat tappets?

The motor is a 400 but I don't know what cam it has. It was running high zinc oil before. When I bought new oil I realized later it wasn't a high zinc oil, so it would be very helpful to know before I change the oil.

The picture is the motor with the valve covers removed.

Finally got a damn fuel pressure gauge on my shitheap. When it's idling it hits upwards of 10psi so I guess that'd explain the gas getting into everything. Wonder what would cause something like this... guess I'll just slap a regulator on and see if that helps

Jesus. May as well buy new heads

For some reason a lot of new production mechanical fuel pumps make too much pressure, I had the same problem on my truck when I replaced it and just threw a regulator on. I've you can get pumps that are the correct PSI but I figure with a regulator you can use whatever you want, which is more convenient if it shits the bed unexpectedly.

What year is it?

>tfw rebuilding your first engine

WHY IS IT SO EXPENSIVE? I THOUGHT I'D BE ABLE TO AFFORD THIS?!

Because nobody ever mentions all the nickel and dime stuff that's part of an engine rebuild

thought kkk finally bought an engine for a second.

That'll learn you to stop buying shit just to buy it.
That Camaro hasn't been anything to you, if you had just saved your money and waited..

>It was running high zinc oil before
The only reason to have zinc in your oil is for solid lifter/flat tappets.Other than that, pull a lifter and see.

Ok mom. I liked the camaro, i just gave up on owning a mustang. But there was a reason it was 4k...
>rust around every window
>rust through the doors
>engine rattled like fuck
>brakes were locked up.

Basically a PoS with a new interior and a paint job.

Never mind abort mission. It's a 350 swap from a truck and based on the shift pattern on the knob I think it has a Saginaw as the transmission. Why do people do this?

>Gee this sure is a nice car but I need a VEEATE
>BETTER PUT THIS PIG TRUCK MOTOR IN AND A GARBAGE CAST IRON TRANSMISSION
>WHY AM I SO SLOW
>FUCK YOU GM

But then why did you buy it in the first place?

Why would the source of the engine matter?
As well you can beat on a Saginaw all year long and you won't see but no damage to it. There's a reason any Detroit 4 speed never needs rebuilt even when it was abused.
Why would you think a 350 is any slower then a 292?

Gee I dunno, it's almost like A. an engine swap detracts from value in a lot of cases B. truck engines basically never have performance goodies (4 barrel carbs, good flowing heads, decent exhaust manifolds) because it's not their purpose, and C. that the saginaw is far inferior to a Muncie or Super T-10 in a performance car since it's heavier, typically doesn't have desirable gear ratios, and will break behind a well built engine, you retard.

That's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure.
Thanks.

Don't forget the dollars, too.

>A. an engine swap detracts from value in a lot of cases
That's a completely subjective quality of the car.

>B. truck engines basically never have performance goodies (4 barrel carbs, good flowing heads, decent exhaust manifolds) because it's not their purpose

I'd like to take this moment to point out the '78 cars made less power then a toyobaru.
That car didn't get the short end of the stick with that swap.

>C. that the saginaw is far inferior to a Muncie or Super T-10 in a performance car since it's heavier, typically doesn't have desirable gear ratios, and will break behind a well built engine, you retard.

I've yet to actually hear about a Saginaw failing ever. It's always "a buddy of mine saw..." story.
From the way you're bitching you prolly couldn't pull 300 horses from a barn let alone enough even start damaging a 4 speed.

The camaro? 3rd favorite type of car (granted 70-72). Im basically going through my childhood dreams until i find the right fit.

Well as someone who has both a truck 350 and a saginaw...

Granted the calculations are rough, but my PoS is near 400hp, and despite the sag being noisey as fuck, its held up strong.

Took it to the track and even it managed to get a high 10.

Its a late 2nd gen, you cant hurt the value of them. If it runs good, and the body is solid, id get it.

but you're loosing money bro..

My corvair probably has a Saginaw. Granted that's 110 hp 7 thousand miles ago but it takes a bit of abuse what with the bucking and the accidental drifts.

Y'know you've actually got a point. I'll go out and say I'm sorry. I'm just pissed from lack of sleep and a shitty day at work. I might go check it out and give it a test drive, couldn't hurt.
What kind of mods does it have? Heads and cam? I know there's no way a stock 350 from the 70's is making that kind of power.

>Y'know you've actually got a point. I'll go out and say I'm sorry. I'm just pissed from lack of sleep and a shitty day at work. I might go check it out and give it a test drive, couldn't hurt.
It's cool bro. I'm not telling you what to do at all i just wanted to understand your logic. I get what you're saying about an engine swapped car, it always feels better to have an original car and you also don't know if whoever did the swap even knows what they're doing either.

>Have been allowing my 60 year old father to drive pic related to keep the battery charged and stuff because friends dont let friends' old cars sit
>Has a reputation for driving hilariously slow
>Does like 60 on I-95 in Florida which is suicide
>Calls me up after first drive
>Says it has no suspension (93 GT's are the stiffest year and lowest ride)
>For the love of god get a new muffler on it (it fell off)
>Pulls real nice to 120mph
>mfw

The Mustang is the shitbox

Yeah I've been trying to get some details about it, whoever owns it now doesn't seem to have done the swap because they don't know what the engine came from, but it allegedly has under 50k on it, which sounds dubious to me. I doubt they'll know what the gear ratios are, it would be nice to have something with a 3.xx 1st to pair with some more mild rear end gears for the freeway. I know these cars aren't for mileage but everything counts lol.

Er I should say they don't know what year or anything beyond the fact that it's a truck engine

i'm sure you could knock around 20 mpg with a quadrajet, a mild cam, and a 2.93 rear end but that might be a little too high if you need to stomp on the gas to get anywhere with it,

Welp, I ordered the Lokar TV cable, Cable bracket and TV cable corrector and just those little things were $200 CAD after shipping. Fuck me

I wanto to build what can only be described as a big fuck you bumper for my truck. I have a heavy duty bumper I can turn into one but I don't have the time

Every shitty Spectra Premium fuel pump I've used has claimed to be "5-7 psi" But whenever I've hooked up my vacuum/ fuel pressure gauge, it instantly pins it at 9 psi. Fucking why though?
I ended up buying a cheapo Mr. Gasket regulator and setting it at 5.5 psi

Havent lost money yet. Im not making major profits, but worst ive done is $100 more than i invested.

Will you get HBO?

I also thought that at first
What's HBO?

It was a joke, the channel HBO i meant.

I doubt the engine is from the 70s, but the basic of what i know (not gonna tear it down to find specifics) race cam and all the goodies, intake, heads, exhaust, and im sure more.

I like mustangs though..

>a PoS with a new interior and a paint job
Honestly aside from the rust that's the kind of project car I'd prefer. 50% of the enjoyment of classics is the bygone aesthetic for me. I absolutely hate it when the interior is trashed or worse, """restomod"""

what's more it's no fun at all to paint or do interior work like upholstery or carpet, I'd rather be in the engine bay

Well it was paint over rust. And not just small bubble. You could put your whole hand through the door. But i was mostly worried about all the trip rails and rear window being rusted out.

stuck boi

fuck* boi

>mfw looking at '69 mustang fastback prices
>decide to check Gran Torinos
>it's the same

Gran Torinos are quite cheap what gives?

I can't find a fucking '70 at below 15k

importing one from the US would cost me an arm

I'll just settle for a maverick I guess

Need the old style studded winter tires on, bro

yo, I'm tryna see the full tiddy, Moar of her??

Mate, they didn't make Gran Torinos in 1970, they made Torinos, that's like the Ford equivalent of a Dodge Challenger. Good luck.

what country, australia?

Wait.. who's kkk?

Kit Kat

Well 1970 is their most expensive year. 73-on steel bumper Torinos are really affordable, especially with a 351W and 3 speed auto.

My personal favorite is the 72 with the big catfish mouth.

sauce?

>number of quality posts on /ccg/ is way up
>realize its because KKK hasn't posted in ages

>nickel and dime stuff
Like what? I'm considering a rebuild on the 22re in my Celica but don't want to start it if it's going to cost a lot.

Finally got my baby registered today; and thus it begins.

Immaculate interior and engine bay, just been fully serviced and had the whole exhaust system replaced. All she needs right now is cosmetic.

Gonna tidy the bumpers and tyres, then prep for a respray next month. Maybe get the rims and grill done professionally.

>Sure hope sage works on Veeky Forums.

I had started prepwork by cutting all of the paint back on the bonnet and roof, then got caught up and she's been sitting in the open for 8 months. What are the chances that I dun goof'd and it'll lead to rust down the line?

Wouldn't a Torino be more equivalent to a charger?

I mean it's the things no one considers that can add a significant amount to the price tag. Sealants, fasteners, fluids, special tools, gaskets. Unforseen shit like worn out oil pumps or valve springs, burned valves or valve seats. There's a reason people say to plan on spending double what your rebuild costs on paper

OwO what's this? Tell me that's either a straight-6 or a diesel under the hood. W124s are GOAT

They're both fatfuck pony cars, you tell me.

You bet it's an L6. It's the 2.6l 190e.

Paid $700aud flat. Some old dude's kids were selling it after it'd been left in a garage for 10 years. Still has he original medkit and spare tire, haha.

Glad my 289 rebuild is going to be a "winter project" while i still drive with the 170 thats in it.

Nice, have fun working on that. This was my m103-powered w126. Same engine as yours except it was the 3.0

Had an Lt. talk to me about my camaro, showed me his 68... its nice to have these random convos

that's what I'm doing

build 403
drive 307

money still an issue.

I need to get my life in order. I just bought another motorcycle instead of getting a 302. I might ask for a long block for my birthday

'another' nigga i still ain't built the engine i've had on a stand for a year now.

Kek. I just bought a project bike to build. Shit's going to be a serious time succ

Mfw i live in saginaw Michigan and we have those transmissions everywhere

What's with Detroit and naming components after locations?

Because they're just named after the factory they're built in, which is named after the town. The Windsor engine was produced at the Windsor plant, in Windsor MI

Almost as bad as the song Seether from the album titled Seether, sung by the band called Seether.

Anyone know a good place to pick up a Saginaw 3 speed overdrive? The one from the 60's with a Borg Warner R10 OD.

Don't forget "Bad Company" by Bad Company from the album Bad Company.

3 speeds are getting difficult to find because everyone swaps them for 4 speeds.
Ebay would be the only way i would think to find one.

I've heard of the song and the band but i didn't know the album was Bad Company as well. I wonder how many bands have done that sort of thing.

Good song

carpill me on the renault 5, i've been offered a 1.4 TR model, other than some 250k-ish km on the odometer it looks really nice and starts up immediately, though it did eject some sort of black oily residue out of the exhaust

Neither the charger, nor the Torino is a pony car

Never said the Torino was, i was referring to both the Charger and Challenger, considering they're both named after horses and designed to compete against the mustang.

The Charger by no definition is a pony car. It's a B-body mid-sized car. It competes more with things like the 442. It's a upper-mid level muscle car

If you say so bruv but imo the owners manual has the final say.