996TT or Cayman S

Hey fags, I have $50K saved and I've narrowed down my options to either a 2009-12 Cayman S, or a 996TT. I have driven neither car, so does anyone have experience with either? What would you do?

996 Turbo for me, but only in manual. Tiptronic is ass.
Cayman has a nicer interior though.

Why not just buy a 997?

>Porsche 996 Turbo
One of the best sportscars for the price at the moment. Comfort enough for the dailydriving and still beats 99% of all cars on the track because great engine and krautspacemagic chassis.

The 996T is cooler

Monitoring this thread becase I have the same sort of dilemma. Leaning towards the 996 Turbo atm.

This is a fucking beast. The turbo engine is very reliable and easily tuned to 500+hp.

The 996 Turbo for sure. If it's an X51 package you're golden

Literally just a face lifted 996 and the turbo would cost almost twice as much

Unlike most posters you're right on the money OP. A 996 is a great deal right now. Little bit of aftermarket work (5ish grand OTD) and you'd have a total monster. I wouldn't even mess with the motor before I put adjustable suspension on it.

This, the Mezger engine is fucking god-tier.

Thanks for the input everyone. The 996T is a more special car, and I actually am a fan of the headlights. I had just read some Cayman reviews where they praised its handling even over 911s, which made me start to consider it, but now I'm back to looking for a nice 996TT, although u don't know if I can afford an x50.

Other than pinning coolant lines, anyone know any important mods?

I personally can't justify the power levels of the TT, truth be told. Nowhere but the track to play with it, and as a trucker I just don't have the time for track days anymore.

If the car only has cubbies instead of something electric you can do a GT3 console delete. It frees up so much leg room

Getting ready to do that myself. It's a much needed mod.

And even if the electrics are there, there is a trim piece you can buy to move the electrics up top and pull the cup holders out.

I would get a TTRS 6spd over that. That is a god machine r8 killer. Or SS camaro 1le. Because Big Dick Murica.

go for the 996TT

the cayman is the better handling car, but that's all. not many mods that one can do.

whereas the 996TT is a nicer, more comfortable car, which you can potentially turn into a fucking monster

The cupholders cannot be removed, they don't affect the 2 din spaces below.

doesnt matter if you have the climate control unit there or not, you can just move it and get the shroud for it to fit up top.

Personally though, i wouldnt do the delete to my boxster because

>That fucking GT3 delete is stupid expensive
>my car is pre 03 so it does not have a glovebox
>it would literally leave me no place to put my phone or anything besides the tiny ass center console

I was thinking more along the lines if the car has an equalizer as well as climate control and radio. But I guess you can just remove it

i hate the 996 interior so i take a 987 Cayman S, and i dont regret it

>late 90s plastic vs early 2000s plastic painted silver
Same shit desu

go do a porsche drivers day first. most of them are boxters or 911s

cayman is just boxter with a roof. the great thing about a boxter you dont get the anal 911 snobs.
all they will say is:
>couldnt afford a 911 and thats about it
the boxter/cayman was porsches last clean sheet car: meaning it was designed from the ground up the last car before the 911 (914) was the last clean sheet car.

the 996 has a few engine and design inherant flaws (read expensive) which wasnt fixed till the 997 revision.

>the 996 has a few engine and design inherant flaws (read expensive) which wasnt fixed till the 997 revision
That was an easy $1000 fix that anyone should do during a clutch change

And the 996 Turbo uses a Mezger engine anyway, completely different design

I have no experience with either car but personally I'd choose a Cayman S because I prefer how it looks and the superior engine placement.

no, it's not.

Wish I'd like that.

>cayman is just boxter with a roof
no, less than half the parts are common

Full leather or extended leather 996s are pretty fucking nice desu

Can't see how that is any better than this.

Nice SUV steering, it makes good on your Cayenne.

>dissing the 996 steering wheel of all things

>when the 993 steering wheel options were damn near identical

I love 996 interior but only if it is minimalistic as it can be.

I personally quite like the color-matched center console.

Also this is my favorite gauge cluster.

Our tastes differ a lot then.

all this shit look like a 20+ year old interior, it can be cool if you are old and love vintage stuff...

but the 997, 987... interior are mutch more coeval

Why do people hate the 996? I think it looks great and as far as I know, it's not any worse to drive or less reliable than other generations. Is it literally just autistic purists angry about headlights and water cooling?

It's enough, no ?

>headlights shared with pleb-tier Boxster
>first 911 to ditch air cooling
>plastic-heavy interior
>IMS bearings

Actually it is 20 years old. And you don't have to be old to like vintage stuff. Personally I think that 2000's was the worst era for design. I am happy seeing a 997 coupe on the streets but the only thing I like about its design is the silhouette.

I don't think they are going in the wrong direction, in and out new porsche, money is the only reason why I bought a 987 and not a 981.

on the other hand I love the old cars assumed, like 964 and older.

It's nice that you have the car you like. I think that current Porsche designs are the best there is on the market right now. It's just the 2000's Porsches I think look awkward. Keeping in mind that the 996 turbo is practically a 90's car, there's only one car design I like from the 2000's and it isn't a Porsche.