Subaru BRZ, Scion FRS, Toyota 86

Is the Toyobaru just a meme? I have heard lots of praise for this car; that it's fun to drive, reliable, inexpensive to maintain, etc. Is it all hype?

Other urls found in this thread:

fastintentions.com/index.php/cPath/41_45_54_55/osCsid/6ehnisp05iad06p94vj5oc1kg1
aamcompetition.com/i-18928983-aam-competition-nissan-370z-twin-turbocharger-system.html
greddy.com/featured/6
ecutek.com/Products/Trade/ProECU-Tuning-Suites/Nissan-Tuning-Suites/Nissan-370Z
vividracing.com/catalog/tuned-ecu-flash-tune-nissan-370z-0917-p-150937264.html
importpartspro.com/2009nissan370z.html
youtube.com/watch?v=POPiUCtytqc
newyork.craigslist.org/search/cto?query=(350z | 350 | 370 | 370z)&auto_make_model=nissan
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's good for a 30k sports car especially if you're into the whole "driver's car" meme. It is slow even if you mod it so if you're into drag racing Chad on the highway it's no good. The 2017 models look like shit though. The BRZ looks like it has a mouth guard and the 86 looks like a retarded fish. Also torque dip.

If you can live with the huge torque dip you'll end up with an enjoyable car that makes a good daily.

it's not a bad deal if you pick one up used for around $14k

It's shit. Buy a 2014 V6 mustang with the performance package instead

why not the miata

Any owners want to weigh in? Things you like or dislike?

OH BOY ANOTHER 86 THREAD I WONDER HOW THIS WILL GO

I like mine, fuck the haters

I take mine to the road corse, I dislike the rear suspension at higher speeds with the stock tires. It is borderline unstable corner exit on power.

But I guess it's supposed to drift easily.

With good slicks on it, it drives great, but the stock pads on the bembros smoke up.

Power is ok, want a higher red line to have better shift points.

Mods to come.

Front brake ducting
Dtc-60 pads
Rear aero
Front aero
Motec 150 ecm
Oil cooler greddy
Hks valve springs/retainers
New set Hoosier r7 235/35/17
+5mm spacer all 4
Front Cusco pillow ball hats for camber

Yeah the torque dip is pretty bad, feels like the clutch is slipping for a second before grabbing again. Regular driving just shift before 3.5k rpm and you won't notice it.

>car face makes it look bad
Its a machine. Grow up

>V6 shitstang
If youre buying a mustang camaro etc always go with a V8
No exceptions

If I were to buy a Japanese car it'd be this or the new hardtop Miata.

For about the same money (3k more) you can just get a 370Z which is better in every way outside something subjective like looks. Though I think it looks better.

>370z
Its a heavy piece of shit
Its slow
It has almost zero aftermarket support for it
Renault is killing it off
And it looks pigfat as fuck
Don’t post again

>fuck the haters
yeah bro!

>he likes to drive retarded looking cars

>heavy
Irrelevant metric.

>slow
Faster than a BRZ in literally every way

>zero support
HAHAHAHAHHAAHHA, I work at a tuner shop, it has a LOT of support, and we build them all the time. Moron.

>killing it off
Yeah it's been around forever, irrelevant. There are plenty of parts for it.

>looks fat
Just KYS

You are a dumb dumb dumb person.

this post reminds me of one time where a guy told me the e46 m3 was his most favorite sports car of all time and when I asked him about the 370z he said it was too heavy for a sports car

also, I guess you've never heard of stillen

Car Company one day
>here is the fastest car we have ever produced world. Fastest 1/4 mile, 0-60, track time, top speed. It's uber reliable, beautiful, and easy to drive. It weighs 3,500 lbs

the funny thing is a base manual 370z is actually 3,232lbs , a base e46 m3 weighs 3415lbs

it's funny how uninformed some "car enthusiasts" are.

I own the orange one in this picture.

It's cheap to maintain and drives well with no mechanical problems. It's slow off the line but can handle tight roads at very high speeds with a set of non-stock summer tires. Regardless of shitposters it's perfectly fine as a DD - it won't win you any stoplight races, but the only people who legit try to stoplight race me are high school children and people who look like methheads so they're not worth much anyway

The torque dip can be fixed with about $3k, you need a new exhaust and a tune, but once you do so it'll be more or less mitigated, but don't expect a miracle, it's still a car that expects you to keep it at above 5.5k rpm in order to do anything interesting, which is why people always bitch about the car being gutless - they shortshift it at 3k and wonder why there's nothing under the pedal

That being said, given the choice now I'd probably buy a RF Miata

>cheap to maintain
It's only a couple of years old at this point. Come back in 10 years and we'll see.

>about $3k
I thought you could do it cheaper. What header did you go with?

Mine's a 2013 I bought new, so it's coming up on five years old. I've driven it in some pretty unforgiving environments (death valley at 125f out with ac running, then through some pretty torrential rainfall and about a foot of floodwater) and havent had any issues.

Also for OP change the trans fluid the stock fluid is shit

I didn't install it myself so labor came in high - Ace 4-2-1 EL header

>he thinks weight is irrelevant
>”i work at a shop”
So when are they letting you do actual work instead of only being allowed to change the oil?
Also nice ruse. Bodykits don’t count as “support” you fucking retard.

You want the Miata, which doesn’t come with an LSD on the base model, because you literally crashed your 86. It was too much for you to handle I guess.

>crashed my 86

literally what

I have one of those no-claim discounts on my 86 insurance, the only thing it's ever made contact with is a speed bump and I popped the bumper back in

>Ace 4-2-1 EL header
Oh, that's why. I want one, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra money compared to some of the others.

It came recommended and was one of the few I saw that wasn't made to be loud and annoying

If the 370z is faster in every way than the fr-s, tell me how the weight matters........

fastintentions.com/index.php/cPath/41_45_54_55/osCsid/6ehnisp05iad06p94vj5oc1kg1
aamcompetition.com/i-18928983-aam-competition-nissan-370z-twin-turbocharger-system.html
greddy.com/featured/6
ecutek.com/Products/Trade/ProECU-Tuning-Suites/Nissan-Tuning-Suites/Nissan-370Z
vividracing.com/catalog/tuned-ecu-flash-tune-nissan-370z-0917-p-150937264.html
importpartspro.com/2009nissan370z.html

>no support at all

Weight is a disadvantage on difficult downhill turns.

Faster doesn't always mean better m8

>life is a race track
There is a LOT more to handling than weight. Just because a car is slightly lighter doesn't mean it handles better downhill.

Tell me how the POS fr-s is better.youtube.com/watch?v=POPiUCtytqc

Horrible idea that v6 shitstang will feel like driving a fucking boat . Plus you'll lose to v6 Camrys and Accords . V6 mustangs are for women or cucks

That's true - it's also about chassis balance, tires, steering responsiveness, transmission, etc

the FRS is 500lb lighter and has a 50/50 distribution compared to the 370z's 54/46. Outside of benchracing, I've driven a 370z on this very road and it was significantly less fun to drive because it required a lot more handholding to keep it on the road at an acceptable speed

>literally handles better and is faster on every track against the fr-s with competent drivers
>I drove it once and it's worse because muhh feels
Awesome man.

lol even with a terrible start the 370z still beats it

Buy a 2013 FRS to use for gay drift shit or whatever people use these for, buy a used ZX10R for racing Chad's Mustang on the interstate

>stock BRZ vs modded 370Z

I love it when people shut dumb shit down.

I mean the mustang GT I took around the malibu canyons last year also beats the FR-S around every track and would probably turn out a faster overall time on the roads I like

still wouldn't buy one - I drive light cars through hairpins for fun because hairpins are fun, and the only competition in the space is the miata, fiat-a, and various high end sports cars

z is better in every way than the FR-S!

And that's how we know your opinion doesn't matter.

The 370z is better than the FR-S in exactly one metric, and that is raw power. Hell, in many ways the base 370z (which is the only 370z that's only $3k more) is worse than the GT86 twins, it doesn't even have a fucking LSD.

The base 370z is the joke model that they created only so they could market the "$29,999" number. No self-respecting car guy would seriously buy a base 370z - you got shit brakes, no LSD, and the Sport trim gives you 19" Forged RAYS wheels to boot. The only reason to buy a 370z base model is if you're a fucking poser who just wants to have the car or because you are planning to get your own wheels, put in your own diff, and put in your own brakes... at which point we're comparing modded to stock.

Power can be added. The GT86 is like 600 fucking pounds lighter than the lightest 370z, it has a much lower center of gravity, and it also has a fuck-ton of storage with the rear hatch and the fold-down seats. All of these things simply cannot be added in or moddied

You can be as stupid as you want. No one cares. Buy worse cars because of a meme about
>pig fat

you sound pretty butthurt about my car choice for someone who claims to not care

>>literally handles better and is faster on every track against the fr-s with competent drivers

>>It's bench-racing time!

And here, friends, is a typical 370z fanboy.

>2,800lb frs
>3,300 370z
>370 is faster, better handling, better on a track, looks better (objective), takes to mods better, has nicer interior, has rear storage too.

>860 special
>$30k msrp
>370 sport
>$33.5k

So still about $3k more. Like I said originally.

The frs doesn't have 50/50 weight distribution. Prove me wrong

>if someone points out that I am wrong
>it means they are butt hurt
You're the one who jumped into this convo with bad opinions.
>people that respond to my stupid shit on message boards are all butt hurt

>the fr-s is worse in every measurable metric
>it's the better car cuzz bench racer huurrrrrrr
Typical shit car logic.

It's 100% meme. I'll probably be called a hater by the cuckboys because I think a sports car should be faster than a minivan

>Camaro SS is slower than a minivan

>Dominates auto cross
>largest aftermarket support of any currently in production car
>any ham-hands driver can push the car to it's limit without killing themselves
>Looks alright for what it is
>god tier manual transmission
>cheap as fuck
>still has enough space to be usable as an every day car
>other than a few minor issues, extremely reliable car

Only people that hate on it are bench racers

I don’t think Frs domninate autocross.
They had to cry for 370z to move to next class. And yet they still get rekt. I do see them lot at autocross
Btw new nd Miata is taking over, will Frs fan boys cry hard enough for Miata to move to other class?

Where are people getting the 30k pricetag from?
Its $25k everywhere I look

Also the 370z is pigfat shit that can’t drift without $10k+ worth of mods.

If there's one thing toyobaru drivers can do, it's cry

You honestly think the 86 has a larger aftermarket than a Mustang or Camaro?

Larger than the 370z’s for sure

It's the most reliable car on the market. If you're not used to more power then it won't feel slow and it's definitely fun to throw around in the corners. Please buy one so that I can get one used in 5 years for cheap.

>30k
I see them on cl with decent milage for around 13k

yeah but there's a reason they're on CL to begin with

for cars that are actually good? their owners don't sell them, ever. its why you can't ever find any z cars on craigslist or at used car lots - their owners actually keep them

the difference is the 370z feels heavier than it actually is when you drive it, while cars like the e46 m3 hide their weight better

there's 80 on my local craigslist lmao

newyork.craigslist.org/search/cto?query=(350z | 350 | 370 | 370z)&auto_make_model=nissan

Not sure why people keep saying its 30k when I see them going for way less new
Must be leaf/aussie dollars or something

>What is MSRP

>GT86 slower at the light and on the track

KEK

God Machine.

/Thread

Holy shit that's a lot of guido cars. I didn't realize Nissan sold so many of these.

>tfw I just drove it through sea-to-sky highway and it was fuuuuuuun

Ya. I like my little meme alot.

/thread

>Torque dip

Was it ever discovered what was causing that?

I heard rumors about shifting from direct injection to port injection but nothing conclusive.

If you believe this you are a retard.

Dunno, what I don't understand is if UEL headers fix it, why didn't it come with it from factory?

Toyota ordered Subaru to make it as cost effective as possible. They are literally Bethesda of car industry. relying on third party and community for all the mods to fix their errors.

it's what i wanted in a car, which was fun to drive and rips through tight backroads. cant stop driving mine. rotated tires and changed oil before heading to bed, looking forward to coastal drive tomorrow. only thing i dislike is the brz headunit in mine. bluetooth connectivity is ass. audio upgrades are the last thing i'd spend money on though so itll do. full catback exhaust is on route, gonna be great with my catless headers. may go e85 as its plentiful in my area but im happy with the power its at now.

amazing color mate. woulda been the one i bought if i was able to afford it.

header swap isn't that hard.. ~14 small bolts to remove the skidpan, then six to remove header from engine and two to remove header from overpipe. way easier than i thought it would be. what's a bitch is removing the stock overpipe as you have to either somehow remove the heatshield in the small space its stuck in or loosen the motor mount and jack up the engine a small amount. if you're switching back to stock for smog in a year or two do it yourself mate.

What do you guys think about louvers on it?

No, they ordered it from Subaru because they needed a low engine, hell that's not even a 100% Subaru boxer since it has Toyota's DI technology.

>Toyota ordered Subaru
B-but they cannot ORDER them. T-they are not even the same company...

its a three seat car at best
>no room for feet or knees behind driver
aside from that its much like a tt01 in concept
>replace all parts

It was not the AE86 replacement I wanted, but it is a good car. Go drive one to decide for yourself and cross shop the competition. You can listen to opinions from retards with different tastes endlessly until you end up hating every single car you thought you liked, or you can go out and actually experience the reality of them. Within 10 minutes of driving each, you'll figure out what's important to you.

>Is it all hype?
No, it's all true, it's the best sports car under $50k by a long margin.

mustangs and camaros are super embarassing. i dont live in flyover land

lets play "spot the toycuck"

Ok let’s play that game. If the Mustang is “embarrassing” then what’s the 86/brz. I’m gonna post two sets of times you tell me which one is the Mustang GT, and which one is the BRZ

And the second set. Yeah it’s no competition.

Second set of times. Since I’m an idiot and forgot the image

You can't argue with toyobaru cucks. They will pull everything they can from their ass to justify their purchase as the absolute best instead of realising that all production vehicles are built of compromise with strength and weakness.

That's really cool, I'm glad somebody can enjoy their car and take it on an actual track despite everybody meming it constantly. I'd love to do this someday after I get out of school.

improves any and every car. Good choice.

Thats not a real complaint.
Americans are just obese.
Its why the ford fiesta is said to be a car too small for anyone in the backseat, even though three adults can fit in it perfectly fine as long as they are of a healthy weight.
The "normal" sized cars in america like the focus are so obscenely large, you could make the front row a bench seat and fit six people.
The problem with the Toyobaru is that its really slow for what it is.

Its much faster than the A86 though.

it's also a whopping 800 lbs heavier than the lightest ae86 and it doesn't have dat 4age symphony

meanwhile the ND miata weighs the same as an NA miata.

>Is the Toyobaru just a gimmick?
Helping out where I can.