/sthg/ - Sonic The Hedgehog General

Welcome to the Sonic General. Here we talk about all things Sonic! Share art and music, talk about new developments, discuss ROM hacks, speedrunning, and more.

/sthg/ #813 - America Edition

>Link CompilationSonic News<
Sonic Mania vids:
6 Minutes of Gameplay : youtu.be/uB9RP2SV8HY
Green Hill Boss : youtu.be/X1GZbQgtGLY
Chemical Plant : youtu.be/4TX2I3iUORQ
youtu.be/52UGIIIp9WE
Pre-order Trailer: youtu.be/wvD8NZN9Zsg

Sonic Forces vids:
Sonic Forces E3 trailer:
youtu.be/dprxYd_16Ck
7 minutes of Gameplay: youtu.be/fyTzm8WgtlE
Full level Gameplay: youtu.be/6g6_rRqjlCI
Avatar Gameplay: youtu.be/TJZfptketUc

>Drawfag/Writefag Idea WallsGeneral Interest Links

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xfJuJrqFhXM
youtube.com/watch?v=CimFRUlV178
youtube.com/watch?v=OQUU_VzP3tg
youtube.com/watch?v=zSxJaBn7dtk
youtube.com/watch?v=o5OMmTQARK8&t=334s
youtube.com/watch?v=I61RdIMqfuQ
pixiv.net/member.php?id=1548380
youtube.com/watch?v=CNd0kXZTi2s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>I'm counting on you guys!
>Hmph!
>Affirmative!

You have a favorite character from the comics/cartoons? Good! Now how would you properly implant into the game canon?

youtube.com/watch?v=xfJuJrqFhXM
Thread theme

Was this the peak of 4kids?

Has anyone ever heard back from rafa?

Rush Adventure 2
Alternatively Shadow the Hedgehog 2 with Eclipse as the main villian

heroes fucking sucks

Happy 4th /sthg/.

Cosmo.

Eggman is still capturing animals to put them into robots. One of the Deadly Six shows up to fuck around with it so that the animals are enslaved under their control. Sonic interrupts the process halfway through. The result is a rabbit who was in the machine at the time ends up with permanently robotic legs and a left arm. She comes to terms with her new cybernetic status and decides to use her new abilities to help others. Gameplay is basically Mega Man in the Sonic universe.

People shit on 4Kids, but they had some pretty good dubs. Pokémon, Kirby, Ultimate Muscle, and even F-Zero.

youtube.com/watch?v=CimFRUlV178
youtube.com/watch?v=OQUU_VzP3tg
youtube.com/watch?v=zSxJaBn7dtk
Happy 4th of July, you niggers.

And they also came up with some pretty good songs when they put the effort.

Is it wrong to find this adorable instead of cringy?

I'm more bothered by whatever the heck is going on with the ears.

I don't even think Sonic X was bad.

I think most people who shit on 4kids are just weeaboos and edgelords

>I don't even think Sonic X was bad.
Ignoring the edited script and censoring, the Sonic X dub was atrocious. It frequently played obnoxious music, got many details about the games wrong ("That used to be Chaos Control") since they didn't even play the games, and they even use Live and Learn in the SA2 adaptation.

*didn't even use Live and Learn in the SA2 adaptation

Pokemon was pure cringe.
People also forget about the F-Zero anime. It really is dope as fuck. It manages to blend being chill and high-octane races pretty well. Captain Falcon is also absolutely based.
It sucks that only Kinnikuman Nisei got dubbed considering the original series is god-tier.
youtube.com/watch?v=o5OMmTQARK8&t=334s

>Kirby dub
>good
They fucking cut out scenes from the show. They also changed the soundtrack. 4kids is shit on because they did that for nearly every anime they dubbed.

I've been struggling to find some way to tie Sonic into my July 4th festivities, but I think I've got it:
Post your best times for Empire City in the Generations Unleashed Project. This run took me a few attempts after having not played it in awhile.

Both the US and JP theme for Kirby is so damn catchy.

Yo that theme tho

youtube.com/watch?v=I61RdIMqfuQ

But that can't really work in the games. While in SatAM and the pre-reboot comics, roboticization was used on both anthropomorphic citizens and non-anthropomorphic animals, in the games and rebooted comics, the animals Eggman uses are the smaller animals. In the reboot comics, it's mentioned that Eggman was testing a new approach for roboticization, so that might have been akin to SatAM, but as of now, we'll never know.

You really are a bunch of manchildren...

This desu. Have it play like X4. Maybe like X4 you can play as Ant

The Deadly Six decide to do it to Tails.

I just realized that if we battle against Shadow we could get a remix of I am all of me or All hail Shadow, which one do you want?

I think what he means is in regards to the script and acting.

>not liking Dedede's sexy Texan accent
To the brig with you.

Bunnie just happens to be a bigger animal who gets captured regardless. The reason why I included the Deadly Six, much as I hate them, is because they did exactly what I described to try and enslave Tails, so it'd basically be the same thing.

>Pokemon was pure cringe
Are you talking about the dub or the anime in general?

For what reason, user?

they would also make really /really/ bizarre changes. They would remove text and symbols from signs, buildings, etc. and never replace them, even if the text played a huge role in whatever was going on screen at the time

>he spends his free time to come onto an anime imageboard, goes over to the video game circlejerk, seeks out a general dedicated to a 26 year old game, flexes out his fingers to call the posters manchildren
>instead of doing anything productive with his life
>considering what he's doing, literally anything at all

C'mon user, look around you, we're all manchildren here. You, me, the people from Veeky Forums to Veeky Forums, what you gonna do.

Mostly the dub.

dumbest thing is most of the text was in english. they just needed to fix a few typos here and there

I guess reading is for nerds

First of all, it's mentioned that Tails' "roboticization" was done with Eggman's technology and his help, so he could do the same thing. Secondly, Tails was designed as a cyborg, whereas Bunnie's roboticization was interrupted, thus turning her into a cyborg. A more game-accurate backstory would be Bunnie being turned into a cyborg successfully and then gaining control of her body through one of Tails' inventions or something.

"Kids today don't read."

– An actual quote from Al Kahn, CEO of 4Kids Entertainment from 1991-2011 who was so bad that even the staff hated him

>First of all, it's mentioned that Tails' "roboticization" was done with Eggman's technology and his help, so he could do the same thing.
But he doesn't actually want to, otherwise he'd do it more often.

>A more game-accurate backstory would be Bunnie being turned into a cyborg successfully and then gaining control of her body through one of Tails' inventions or something.
No because then she's a different character. Having the process interrupted preserves that.

>implying you have to be very bad for your employees to hate you
>implying kids today read

the Pokemon dub was actually pretty good for the first 20 or so episodes. With the exception of anything remotely violent (like misty slapping ash in the first ep) being removed and some of the music being changed they actually kept the dub very similar to the original. Even the episode titles were close.

I don't know what happened but at some point Ash and James' voices got higher, all the episode titles changed to bad puns, etc. It was like 4kids wanted to be careful and get everything right with the dub at first but once they realized they had a hit, they started Americanizing it (more than it already was) and stopped caring about translation accuracy

was supposed to respond to

>No because then she's a different character. Having the process interrupted preserves that.
Well, she'd be different anyways. You can't translate everything. Plus you still have the whole angst about the robot parts thing.

So why bother making things more different than they need to be? There's absolutely no scientific explanation behind any of: 1) how Eggman's robots are powered by animals, 2) how the Deadly Six were able to convert that into cyborgification, and 3) how the cyborg parts were able to be fully used by their wearer (in that case Tails) while still being able to be taken off in time for the next cutscene. So the games are perfectly free to make up an explanation as to how a rabbit can become a half-cyborg, or even leave it with no explanation as they have in the past. Keep it simple instead of being retarded with it.

It's not that different. The Deadly Six/Eggman "roboticize" Bunnie, but Tails, being a tech genius, invents something that gives Bunnie control of her body. She discovers that she's a cyborg, and cue angst/butt-kicking. She can even have her personality and everything.

It isn't exactly untrue, though.

>"It's not that different."
>proceeds to list a bunch of shit that makes it completely different
>"But you can make it the same other than that!"

Why can't to be "She got into an accident and had to get mechanical parts"?

I want to take a Sonic level and put it in VR. Not as an actual playable thing, but just take the environment and walk around in it. Which level should it be, guys? Which Sonic level do you want to just *be* in? I've got a few in mind, but I can't decide.

What's the difference? Bunnie gets captured, gets freed from said capture, has angst and recovers from it, kicks butt with Sonic and friends, and has her personality and speech patterns intact from SatAM and the comics? Is it really all that important that the process is interrupted vs. being completed?

Because then she'd be an ordinary citizen. She wouldn't have combat parts, since she's not part of a resistance or anything.

Stardust Speedway

Green Hill Zone

Apotos

Sweet Mountain

pixiv.net/member.php?id=1548380
I know, 2 hours later; better late than never.

I think we need more Green Hill Zone

Because you're changing things for no reason when the changes add nothing and serve no purpose other than to make things different for the sake of being different. If I say "let's put Bunnie in the games" it means making Bunnie as accurate as possible with the only changes being necessary to be accurate to the games (for example, no Robotnik roboticization because that's not a thing in the games). If you're going to change more than what's necessary then just make a different character.

Green Hill Zone! It's always the most sound and familiar place, doesn't it just warm your heart user? I bet you're feeling all nostalgic huh? Don't worry, you can pre-order the upcoming Sonic Forces and Sonic Mania games, both featuring Green Hill Zone! We-uhh, I mean, Sega, would certainly love to see the positive feedback to their loving recreations of your favorite Zone. And then you'll see those beautiful green hills in VR in no time!

City Escape, or anything from Colours

Emerald Coast

The Game Grumps are now playing Unleashed.
On Wii. Christ, it's like they're trying as hard as possible to ensure that they get the worst experience possible so they can shit on it.

Great.

Okay

No shit. They know Arin's overreacting freakouts bring them the clicks.
Dan's laugh brings mine.

That's the best version though.

Game Grumps is playing the best Sonic game ever.
youtube.com/watch?v=CNd0kXZTi2s

I want to nail Arin to the fucking cross.

>Game Grumps
Who fucking cares?

FUCKING NORMIES, who else.

Wii isn't even the best SD version, at least PS2 doesn't have to deal with shitty gimmick controls.

And I should care why?

Though to be fair I think the Wii version utilises the boost mechanic the best by putting it into one shot segments.

The wii version can be played with a gamecube controller. And iirc the wii version is better for speedrunning.

>adventurefags still mad that their game is shit
i don't even like gamegrumps

The point is after all the actual fucking business and promotion the Sonic social media has given him, he responds by pulling out another Sonic game and shitting on it.

Whether people should care or get into an argument with it is a whole different discussion but what does the Adventure series have anything to do with Sonic Unleashed or their opinion on Sonic games in general?

yeah i agree that's kinda shitty actually

especially since he acts like he likes sonic every time it happens

adventurefags got fucking FURIOUS when he played SA1 and it was super buggy and shitty

Wonder how many free cupcakes he'll get this time.

also they tend to excuse it with "b-but you didn't play the original dreamcast version!" as if that's a good excuse

Videos about good Sonic games don't get the views. Simple as that.

even if he played a good sonic game he'd be complaining about how he can't hold right to win (even though people were making fun of sonic for that before)

So what? The Adventure games were far from the only ones Game Grumps shat on & people get pissed about all the nonsense they've said, not just Adventure games.

I'm pretty sure he shat on the Genesis games, too

Okay Adventure series is bad but this isn't Adventure series, this is Unleashed; Where does "adventurefags still mad that their game is shit" come from? Comments? OP?

it's just that "they didn't play the right version!" is the typical adventurefag defense

And what does the Adventure games have to do with the video? No one's talking about Adventure but you, for some reason.

Did people actually say this or are you talking out your ass?

This is what I was trying to point out but I poorly explained it.

So what would be a better argument so someone wouldn't be defaulted using "adventurefag defenses"?

you could've just said "oh boy gamegrumps are playing another sanic game even though they hate them" or something like that

The only time le grumpworm was right was when he said OoT was shit.

I'm not that user who made the initial posts but I didn't know that it made that big of a difference and assumption to a person and their "stance".

I guess I'm learning more about people's mindsets.

WOW. I had no idea there was actually a sonic general on. How does this shitty franchise still have fans. Jesus christ you really all are autistic aren't you.