/ovg/ casual edition

Welcome to Veeky Forums Vidya General, the last safe place to discuss racing vidya and vidya including cars without blatant fanboyism, moderation, intimidation, and shilling*!

Previous Thread: Our Wiki will answer every question you could possibly have.
>get-good.net

Swing by our Mumble server and introduce yourself!
>Mumble IP: mumble.get-good.net
>Port: 64738

Equipment Guide
>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uLKMbKwweUZ3QvFeNs8UeycZbDyo0McxGj7T6uTaTNo/edit#gid=0

We're racing GT Sport, Forza 7 and other games on the Weekends! Check out our Google doc for more info.
>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R3KWTJsrlS9X2EZUNXY8KbHfsHD-t3_EU_A1n6wBBQc/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uqsKm8irA7U
amazon.co.uk/Rocksmith-2014-Real-Tone-Cable/dp/B00KJGJUNS
amazon.com/Rocksmith-Guitar-Bundle-Playstation-sony-playstation3/dp/B005JQW4HM
amazon.com/Epiphone-Special-Guitar-Rocksmith-Included/dp/B01DL3HMEE?th=1
amazon.com/Rocksmith-2014-Playstation-3-Cable-Included/dp/B00D6PTMB4
amazon.com/Rocksmith-2014-Cable-Trilingual-playstation-2/dp/B00I0701P4/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_63_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=A49Q2VHKH3C3BV7931M1
amazon.com/Rocksmith-2014-Included-Version-Owners-Playstation/dp/B00D7QXBDW/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_63_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1FMAZCMA6T0Y4RXFRH9X&dpID=61Odj3I%2BRhL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail
youtube.com/watch?v=Uf6KZsK68aw
youtube.com/watch?v=NJgygTzrLAM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>the last safe place to discuss racing vidya and vidya including cars without blatant fanboyism, moderation, intimidation, and shilling

Well yeah.

Would you sign up for men's league hockey without knowing how to pass or shoot at least somewhat accurately?

Of course not. Practice the fundamentals, then go out and play with other people.

If you don't have a full simulation booth, get the FUCK out of my games!

when is genki coming out with a new game? that mobile game is just for funding their new console title, right?

right?

Can you pass the /ovg/ pre-race tech inspection?

>graphics cards
in order to keep system latency from causing drivers to temporarily lose control of his/her vehicle it now is now mandatory to have graphics card/settings that allow your game to run at a consistent 120 fps on 60hz monitors and 280fps on 140hz monitors, we recommend at minimum an Nvidia 1080 for low settings in rfactor, anything lower than an nvidia 970/amd rx 480 will be sent to the race director for evaluation

>monitors
entrants must be able to see all cars to prevent race incidents, at minimum entrants should have track ir, minimum recommendation is triple 16:9 monitors or a generation 1 VR headset such as the rift cv1 or htc vive, developer preview headsets will be have to inspected pre-race by a race director authority

it is recommended to have a friend run a seperate copy of game and spectate to act as a spotter to prevent race incidents

>controllers
to prevent incidents players should be able to feel their virtual race car, as such the board recommends a belt driven direct drive wheel

gear driven wheels may pass inspection after thorough testing from a race directing authority

non-load cell pedals will also be subject to inspection and testing from the racing director

gamepads must undergo a 24 hour test with no race incidents under super vision of a race director and have written approval before race, points will still be deducted from pad entrants final score per the casual shitter policy

which gt game is this

stale

interceptors powered by bees makes for close racing

no but i haven't played with /ovg/ in like a year and a half why am i still here

looks like 6

midnight club 4

not every online race is a league

and if you can't deal with shitters being dangerous, maybe it's you who should quit playing?

>pcars2 comes out for consoles and pc
>it fails because its nearly undriveable with a controller, the main input device of 90% of players due to console owners
>james goes full damage control blaming players for not buying extra hardware to play a game

2015 James would've laughed at 2017 James

2bh ive been invited to multiple leagues, tried to politely decline by saying "But I don't know how to play sports and I'm out of shape", and they've consistently said "That's the point, it's not the fucking NHL, we play for beer"

>he's never seen a beer league
>he thinks most local small-time after-work sports groups will turn someone away for being bad at sports

gamers really are filth

youtube.com/watch?v=uqsKm8irA7U
mandatory viewing time

Poorfags shouldn't play with me. I won't tolerate someone who doesn't have proper displays or a proper wheel setup not fucking getting out of my way because he can't see and he's playing with a controller. Peasants need to stay home.

If you can't save up for a wheel over the span of two years, that's your own damn fault.

At this point it's like playing guitar hero without the plastic guitar.

>the upper series are all full of drivers who all started as rookie
isnt iRacing literally p2w? like, isn't progression tied to how many cars you have, and you buy cars with real money

also lmao those fucking physics wtf

guitar hero is perfectly playable with a controller

pcars 2 isnt

This is how I know you're trolling.

GH as a game is shit without the plastic guitar/drums.

you have to buy cars but you're not allowed to use them until you're at a certain skill level

guitar hero comes with the guitar though. these games do not come with wheels. in fact, they don't even support all wheels. It's pretty unreasonable to expect someone who just bought a game to go out and buy peripherals for it when they're just trying it out, and aren't sure if they'll like that title or not.

You can get out of rookie for free. I think usually you can get to C license without buying any content if you're willing to wait for the right track to come up in the right series, which is what allows on track shitposters to get into GT3s and fixed trucks on a new account when they get banned.

you can full combo any song with a controller

cant say the same about pcars2

>the most common video game input device is not supported by a video game
>this is the client's fault, and not the developer's fault
>you should actively belittle the client for not knowing this in advance, and for being unwilling to spend more money than he's already paid on the game he isn't even able to play

gamers really are filth

Incorrect. You can use them in leagues/hosted/testing sessions, you just can't run races for irating with them.

>It's pretty unreasonable to expect someone who just bought a game to go out and buy peripherals for it when they're just trying it out, and aren't sure if they'll like that title or not.

These games are built for a hardcore audience. The audience is already obsessed enough with the subject matter that buying a wheel isn't a big ask for them.

Technically, yes you can FC a song without a plastic guitar. Is it a shit experience? Yes.

Rocksmith.

Checkmate.

wow thats just as dumb, really

are they appealing to the trainfan style market or something who just collect DLCs of autistic low-res recreations of liveries no non-autist cares about?

i played dark souls on kb/m even though it was the worse experience and i did just fine, fully understanding that i had a worse experience than those who were using gamepad
in fact, i do this in rocket league, a game that 100000% is not meant for keyboard and mouse and i have a ton of fun with it
just enjoy a game, stop worrying about whether you're the best or whatever, find a community that fits you and have fun, fuck

it's appealing to a market that wants really well-balanced, high quality races at any time, which it delivers
i personally don't care for it but it works for the audience that desires it

no one is arguing that a controller is a worse experience than a wheel

im saying that pcars2 is U N P L A Y A B L E with a controller

as in not playable

un·play·a·ble
ˌənˈplāəbəl/
adjective
adjective: unplayable

not able to be played or played on.
"hit a high-bouncing, unplayable chop over second"
(of music) too difficult or bad to perform.

rocksmith is explicitly a tutoring tool.

As well, from wikipedia
> Rocksmith was also sold as a bundle that includes the game and adapter, an Epiphone Les Paul Junior guitar, strap, and 2 picks.
>an Epiphone Les Paul Junior guitar, strap, and 2 picks.

>in fact, they don't even support all wheels.
yeah they do
I cannot think of a single steering wheel available right now that doesn't work on PC, and games usually support generic mappings for really old or obscure ones.

This market has been around since the very beginning of 3D gaming, if you don't realize you need a race car controller to play pretend race cars you're kind of a moron.

>and games usually support generic mappings
even forza doesnt properly release the bullshit steering issues unless you have a Logitech wheel, or the Microsoft-branded one for XBox 360s

Got damn Forza motorsport 7 looks so fun. its a shame they fucked up career mode so badly trying to get rid of leaderboard cars by confining all cars to a certain category you can't drive them out of... no more racing muscle cars with JDM no more racing modified super cars with race cars. the collector level forcing you to buy cars you don't need to unlock others also fucking sucks.

>im saying that pcars2 is U N P L A Y A B L E
m8 we already know that

A lot of iRacing's business comes from people buying tracks so they can rush to the next license level. The actual safety requirements to get each license are pathetically low so that all but the most ginormous retards can be eligible to race every car.

>even forza
>implying forza has good controller support

>Rocksmith
If you're referring to the bullshit DRM thing where you have to use a Rocksmith RealTone(TM) Cable, the community patched that so you could use whatever aux to usb cable you have lying around. I know another guy who uses it when he practices on his guitar.
Only thing with racing games is I can't suddenly take the wheel and pedals out of my car and use them to play racing games with.

Or if you mean the need for a guitar, see since they were sold with a basic Epiphone guitar along with the game and cable. Not bad price eithet considering you're getting $50 off the guitar along with the game and cables to play. I think my setup for Rocksmith cost me

apparently the SMS employee doesnt. i dont blame him though its obvious no one bothered touching an xbox controller over at ian bells leather dungeon

>This market has been around since the very beginning of 3D gaming, if you don't realize you need a race car controller to play pretend race cars you're kind of a moron.

Put your trip back on, me.

>im saying that pcars2 is U N P L A Y A B L E with a controller

Is it really? I've seen people bitch on Reddit that they're having a hard time, but it's counter-acted by "here are some settings that make the game great for controllers." I've also seen people post vids of them driving and they're honestly just ass, a wheel wouldn't fix braking three car lengths too late or entering a corner two car widths away from the racing line.

>rocksmith wasn't a commercial failure that most people considered to be inferior to the DVDs that come with cheapo guitars

>comparing rocksmith, an electronic guitar tutor that actually did come with a guitar, to a racing video game that just refuses to support the most common video game input device on the planet and doesn't indicate as such before you buy it

>comparing rocksmith, a game with zero community but in the context of a community that frequently partners up with people with different input/output devices to great effect, to AC, rFactor, etc. which do have communities that belittle people who try to play them without the "correct" input device and even then argues incessantly over which of those "correct" devices is the most correct

Gamers.

desu collector level is invalid after about 3 days
the series is fun though. some of the most fun ive had on any racing game
the racing is extremely clean too. very few instances of contact. even the crown vic racing was clean despite the jelly suspension and dorito power

At this point your argument is just silly.

Gonna reiterate what this dude said:

>I cannot think of a single steering wheel available right now that doesn't work on PC, and games usually support generic mappings for really old or obscure ones.
>This market has been around since the very beginning of 3D gaming, if you don't realize you need a race car controller to play pretend race cars you're kind of a moron.

in googling it i actually found for the new ones, while it includes a cable, it says you can use any cable, but also supports using a microphone now, which is pretty impressive

>Is it really?

yes it is, and looks like you fell for the usual WMD backer tricks of "if you do xyz it completely fixes your issue!" when it actually doesnt

>hardcore audience
vs
>300bhp on gravel

which meme will last longer?

people have been playing racing games with controllers probably for longer than clamp-on wheels.

Perhaps it is a bit foolish to not support and sometimes even actively punish paying players who would rather use a device they already have than going out and buying new ones. If anything, they'll never get ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~hardcore~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ because they can't see what the games have to offer at any level at all ever unless they go out and shell out for a giant sim station

>you need a race car controller to play pretend race cars
false statement

>but muh hardcore audience

complaining about casuals tournament next month be there

>"here are some settings that make the game great for controllers."
they dont work they never work

>drive over 55
>steering column welds shut
>drive exactly 54
>have all the lock in the world

its shit and you are shit

I'm wondering if that got changed in the remaster that released late last year that they removed the requirement to use their cable. It was a rather easy patch that they probably said fuck it anyway. The mic thing has been around since 2014 I think, I know I can use my mic for vocals while I strum to the song. The remaster also changes up some things like skill requirements and give you better tracking of your progress to show you how far you've come playing guitar.

Either way, despite being a singleplayer/two player game the community support is fantastic for it. Totally recommend it if you want to jam.

>people have been playing racing games with controllers probably for longer than clamp-on wheels.
pretty much the very first analog controllers were flight sticks and racing wheels, so uh

>people have been playing racing games with controllers probably for longer than clamp-on wheels.
This is only true because you're an asshat and included "clamp-on" like it was important.

>Totally recommend it if you want to jam.
i don't but ok

>backer trick

I'm sorry I'm not stupid enough to play a high fidelity racing simulator with a pad in the first place.

Pcars 2 was bac because you're associated with it

>comparing quarter-munchers to a home gaming experience you paid 120 euro-australian bitcoins for

>collector level is invalid after about 3 days
What do you mean? you don't need to collect a certain amount of cars to get access to others anymore after 72 hours or?

>Rocksmith.
>Checkmate.
rocksmith not only comes with a guitar but it supports literally any electric guitar that has a 1/4" output jack, and you can add a pickup and output to any acoustic guitar.

gamers are scum and all deserve to die

>its not a game its a simulator

Looks like you became just like the iRacing simdads you used to laugh at

my my

>I assume most people don't even bother looking at the controller settings, so the devs prefer to give you a smooth but limited steering rather than a full but barely manageable one and be drowned in negative reviews and comments of people complaining the cars are undrivable.
looks like they fucked up then because one of the most common complaints after "the controls are shit" is "the cars all perform like they're on ice"

>you will never challenge the shitters of /ovg/ with a ghettorigged telstar arcade wired into a G29 board

it's the neGcon life for me

>rocksmith not only comes with a guitar but it supports literally any electric guitar that has a 1/4" output jack, and you can add a pickup and output to any acoustic guitar.

Rocksmith doesn't always retail with a guitar.

amazon.co.uk/Rocksmith-2014-Real-Tone-Cable/dp/B00KJGJUNS

>gamers are scum and all deserve to die

The more you keep typing this, the more you look like a deranged sperg.

it is important, it differentiates home stuff from permanent fixtures like arcades and actual simulators

niggas playing shit on the intellicalicotaricom didn't have wheels, they had that bullshit number pad and weird dial

even in modern gaming, it's pretty rare to find someone who owns a wheel who isn't a simdad autist. most players play things on gamepads or kb+m

>Rocksmith doesn't always retail with a guitar.
yeah because it's a tutoring tool and people would want to use their own guitar. if you want to start from scratch you can buy the one with a guitar. standard racing games don't exactly come with wheels, and don't even support all wheels, and don't support anything but wheels. it's a wonder they even come with cars! oh wait they don't, like iRacing

Yeah but I can buy a hotdog and eat it in a slice of bread instead of a roll lmao checkmate

no he means you level up so fast it's irrelevant within 3 days.

>Product Description

>Rocksmith 2014 Edition is the fastest way to learn guitar.* Plug in any real guitar or bass and join over 2 million people learning with the award-winning Rocksmith method.

>Project CARS 2 is the next evolution in the award-winning racing series, featuring the most iconic cars under the most thrilling of conditions to deliver the "Ultimate Driver Journey" experience and adrenaline rush. Created by gamers, tested by world-class racing drivers, and the definitive choice of e-sports pros, Project CARS 2 brings together the essence of real racing in the most beautiful, authentically crafted, and technically advanced racing game on the planet. Project CARS 2 has it all: From GT to touring cars to endurance prototypes and exotic hypercars, delivering the full spectrum of motorsport racing with complete freedom to choose what and where to drive. Anytime, anywhere!

>niggas playing shit on the intellicalicotaricom didn't have wheels, they had that bullshit number pad and weird dial
there absolutely were wheels in the era of shitty arcade ports see right above you
>even in modern gaming, it's pretty rare to find someone who owns a wheel who isn't a simdad autist. most players play things on gamepads or kb+m
sure, in the same way that a lot of people in the early 90s didn't use mice but there were a lot of games that were specifically designed for and played better with one

How does playing mode 7 games on a digital controller even relate to muh analog joypad autism

>it differentiates home stuff from permanent fixtures
Home steering wheels weren't clamped on in the old days to start with.

>BBBUT GUITAR HERO IS UNPLAYABLE
>but guitar hero comes with the stupid plastic guitar and is playable on a pad anyway if you really wanna be a madman
>YEAH BUT ROCKSMITH
literally comes with a guitar if you want one
amazon.com/Rocksmith-Guitar-Bundle-Playstation-sony-playstation3/dp/B005JQW4HM

why do you keep blowing yourself out like this

name one kid from your block who had one

>even in modern gaming, it's pretty rare to find someone who owns a wheel who isn't a simdad autist
because the normal people don't bother arguing about these things - survivorship bias basically. it's not too difficult to find them, but it's easier through small-talk than through sim racing forums

>Created by gamers
>not tested by gamers though
>muh e-sports
that explains why it's so shit

Man this fucking thing by the way

I can't even name a kid on my block, let alone a kid that had a console, let alone one that played racing games at all.

i thought we were talking about racing not soccer but i guess moving goalposts is cool too

>because the normal people don't bother arguing about these things
I disagree, I run into this shit constantly

>finally finish 2nd satsuma
>dev added engine rock
>nervous.webp
I forgot how slow it is stock. Hopefully it doesnt overheat at 100km/h like it used to without the sport radiator.

name even one child

>Rocksmith doesn't always retail with a guitar.
You have options though.

If you don't have a guitar or the cable, you buy the version with the guitar, cable and game. That will get you set up and be ready to start learning immediately.
>amazon.com/Epiphone-Special-Guitar-Rocksmith-Included/dp/B01DL3HMEE?th=1

You already own a guitar and want to use your own guitar instead with the game? Just buy the game and the cable.
>amazon.com/Rocksmith-2014-Playstation-3-Cable-Included/dp/B00D6PTMB4

Got the game and guitar already, but need the cable?
>amazon.com/Rocksmith-2014-Cable-Trilingual-playstation-2/dp/B00I0701P4/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_63_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=A49Q2VHKH3C3BV7931M1

Lastly, you already got the guitar and the cable (likely from playing the original Rocksmith) but don't have the game?
>amazon.com/Rocksmith-2014-Included-Version-Owners-Playstation/dp/B00D7QXBDW/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_63_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1FMAZCMA6T0Y4RXFRH9X&dpID=61Odj3I%2BRhL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

The point is you have plenty of options to choose from here, depending on how much of the equipment you need to get yourself started up. If you're feeling cheap you could always buy some $50-$75 guitar, then buy a aux to USB cable and then Rocksmith 2014 on a sale. The nice thing about Rocksmith 2014 is that you not only have the choice of playing lead or rhythm guitar, but you also have the GOAT bass to learn as well.

>niggas playing shit on the intellicalicotaricom didn't have wheels
they totally fucking did
the Coleco Telstar Arcade I posted has a wheel literally built into the console.

This one was made by Nintendo in 1978.

>but guitar hero is playable on a pad anyway if you really wanna be a madman

Exactly. Playable, but certainly not ideal. Unless you are certifiably insane, Hard and Expert difficulties aren't possible for the average person to attain.

youtube.com/watch?v=Uf6KZsK68aw

>There is a legitimate reason why most games default to high reduction of lock at speed, and it's because the cars would be twitchy as fuck because you are trying to replicate hundreds of degrees of wheel rotation in the tiny ass space of a controller stick.

You cannot make a racing simulator work flawlessly with a pad. You are advocating for something that will not provide a gameplay experience on par with the dedicated third party peripheral.

Why is this so difficult to understand? Why do you continuously insist on using a sub-par means to play a game when alternatives are out there and people generally agree that they are worth the money and add a whole lot more to the game?

This is an insane level of self-sabotage. Intentionally not buying a third party wheel when a genre of games have been built with third party wheels in mind, and then crying that the games are too hard and not as fun.

>go to check how much pcars actually costs
>finally find the "buy for PC" button
>HTTPS error, invalid certificate, expired
>add exception
>it's a redirect to bandai namco
>to their generic PS4 section
THE ABSOLUTE STATE

look at this fucking tryhard

that's not a kid, that's a series of drawings pretending to be movement

>You cannot make a racing simulator work flawlessly with a pad.

rfactor works perfectly

iracing works perfectly
youtube.com/watch?v=NJgygTzrLAM

assetto corsa is playable with a god damn fight stick

I also didn't name her

That's some reaaaaaaaaaaaaal optimal looking steering there fella

>front tires are cooked after half a lap

>You cannot make a racing simulator work flawlessly with a pad.
who is talking about flawless, the argument was about "playable" [at all]

>james in charge of making arguments

fight stick world record buddy bow down to the king

i think the answer you're looking for there is "pcars is garbage". If you want to use a keyboard or a controller there are much better games to play from many eras.

You murdered your left front tire in turn one.

In the Mercedes Arena you missed the apex by two, almost three car lengths. This mistake was enough to lose 2-3 positions in a single corner alone.

At the 46 second mark, both tires are cooked.

By the end of the lap your left front is nearly destroyed.

That was absolutely horrible driving.

feel free to post your fight stick lap

>"why are you even trying to play simulators without a wheel? it's a sub-par experience!"
>james, what do you think about rally 2000
>"i tried it with a gamepad and it was shit"
>'rally2k btfo.png' saved!

>YOU CAN'T PLAY SIMS WITH A PAD!
>someone posts evidence
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEE
god you're pathetic.

The negcon is hardly a regular controller.

to be fair, if you drove that lap with other people around you would crash out and it would 1000% be your fault

Why the fuck would I own a flight stick? I don't play flight simulators.

If you call missing apexes and nuking the tires every other corner "playing".

dae HATE james xd

>you can't play sims with a pad

that's where you're wrong, kiddo