Manual tips

So I'm getting my first manual car soon, what are some tips?

Is blipping a meme or should you do it on every downshift?

>what are some tips?

git gud

>is blipping a meme

no, it's not, do it every downshift ever

Just drive the fucking car

Blipping's a meme in ordinary road driving. If you need to do it, then you're probably doing something stupid like downshifting from fifth to second at highway speed.
I suggest that you go to an empty parking lot and practice launching the car without stalling. If you've got any hilly backroads around where you live, then learning to launch on uphill and downhill slopes would be a good idea too: apply more or less (if any) gas, respectively, and keep the handbrake on right until you let the clutch start to bite.

You don’t have to blip the downshift unless you’re looking to carry speed through a corner, otherwise you should be braking properly and downshifting when your downshifted gear speed matches the road speed, ie. when coming to a stop/slowing to a different speed zone

for the sake of your clutch, ideally you'd want to rev match every gear, going up or down. it's more difficult to rev match downshifts, especially while braking, and even more so under very light braking like when you're putting around town, without lurching the car. A lot of people ignore rev matching downshifts, and most people don't heel toe. It's hard and can take a while to learn, but it's a skill that's worth it to have

I can heel toe on my g29 in ass corsa, will that transfer at all to a real car?

>for the sake of your clutch

Why do you guys always act like clutches last 10k miles of you don't rev match?
No road car transmission, clutch or flywheel has been designed with rev matching in mind since decades, they are perfectly capable of taking the "abuse" of shifting without a single rev match ever and yet their lifetime is in the hundreds of thousands of miles on most cases.

You know what's the single, most abusive thing you can do everyday to your clutch? Moving from a standstill, that's what makes a real difference in a clutch's lifespan and unfortunately there is no technique to avoid it.

Yes, rev matching is fun, yes it technically saves the tiniest, immeasurable bit of wear on the clutch, but don't act like clutches destroy themselves if you don't do it, because it's simply not true, rev matching hasn't been a necessary technique for a long while.

There's two options in my eyes, either you never blip downshifts, cause unnecessary wear to the clutch, however little it may be, and have your passengers hate you, or you can just learn to drive properly.

You're stupid.
That's nonsense.
>Hurr durr I wait until my engine speed is at idle, then clutch in, shift down a gear, slow down, then engauge the gear!

No, literally nothing in asco translates to real driving.

You forgot the option where you downshift without blipping and the passengers don't even notice because it's entirely possible to downshift without shaking the car apart or burning your clutch, even if you don't rev match.

Driving manual is not hard nor complex, despite what you may believe.

>Sit there raping the clutch so Stacy and chad don't get upset while making out in the back seat of your soy boy mobile

Nice fantasy you have there
I give you a breaking news: most of the world figured how to drive manual cars a long time ago, everyone from stupid little teenagers to soccer moms, to old ass walking fossils can drive a manual car without even knowing what rev matching means and you still won't notice when they downshift.

Sorry I offended you, but nobody is impressed by the ability to drive stick

Hi haven't seen you in a while

(checked)
Is that your dog? How did you get her to do that?

Rev matching also prevent wear on other parts of the drivetrain, and in rwd cars it can be important to prevent locking the rear tires in low traction conditions or on a track. Rev matching is simply matching the engine speed with the transmission/wheel speed. Not doing it is simply not shifting correctly. And there's no development in modern cars that makes it less necessary.

well, except for porche and nissans synchro rev or w/e auto blips the gas

Yeah but that just does it for you

I rev match because it's satisfying and so my car doesn't shudder when I downshift.

And they rape clutches.
Go work at a dealship for a few months. People bring their manuals back in after 20k miles all the time complaining that it's the manufacturers fault that the clutch is worn out. But really, it's the customer doesn't know how to drive manual.

This.
I work at a Ford Dealership and you wouldn't believe how many newer Focus's and Mustangs come in at 40-50k with a fried clutch. Granted, most of the people who drive those cars are faggots, but the notion still stands. People can't Rev match worth a shit and let the spring dampers do all the work.
>inb4 Ferd shit
Granted, most of our cars are absolute dogshit, we do use good clutches.

Maybe in the USA where driving stick is some kind of novelty, and even there, for every car coming to the shop earlier than usual for a clutch replacement, there are thousands out there that don't.

If you work at a shop you are seeing that from the wrong perspective, you are just used to see broken cars so you assume all cars out there are broken as well. They aren't, clutches aren't being raped left and right.
If you are going to deny this then I don't know what else to say, because you are clearly too riled up about someone criticising your special snowflake technique to look at reality and stop inflating problems to justify something that didn't need to be justified in the first place.

Sorry for not waiting for the last second to slow down and driving to suit the prevailing conditions. It’s combination of engine and mechanical braking, gradually downshifting and keeping the revs between 1.5-2.5k, not braking in neutral/clutch in. Have fun rear ending someone though, sounds like that’s your thing.
?

>Filename
Holy kek

Just don't ride your clutch. It seems like a simple advice but many people do this and you should try to avoid doing it as much as you can. Also, use your handbrake when you are still learning to do hill start, and don't rev it too much or else you will spin

Rev match is only useful in the track to keep high rpm. In the streets is basically useless, unless you wanna make a fast downshift to overtake someone or on a hill.