Carburetors

Miss me yet?

No

Carbs are great on a single-cylinder motorcycle, but become a nightmare when things get too complex.

>makes you obsolete

Nope.

Nobody misses you.

Nobody likes hard winter starts and running like shit when you change elevation.

No. I own a carbed bike.
I wish it wasn't carbed.

Why, you were there this morning, you little tosser.

no one with a triple digit iq or an age below 50 does

Still got you.

>muh i want more shit to go wrong complex

>pull choke
>tap gas
>fires right up even at -5*F

Ok.

26 here, but momma always said I was special.

friendly reminder that manifold injection is the best deal between having an unreliable little bitch that will literally piss the fuel into your engine for that sweet power and being little DI cuck.

>Nobody likes hard winter starts
you mean direct injection into your oil pan is better?

Elevation thing is way oversold imo. I’ve gone up and down 5000m with carbs and all you really need to do is adjust the idle.

Not at all in fact. You can stay fucked right off. Carbs have always been a bitch, and dealing with a bitch is only worth your time if you get good pussy because of it. I get equal amounts of pussy with my fuel injected vehicle, so there is no reason to deal with the extra bitchyness.

Would never want a fuel injected vehicle for over landing (truck or bike), at least without having spare injectors and computers.

A carb you can pretty much always fix with basic tools and materials; if something goes wrong with fuel injection you’re just fucked without new parts.

Bitches don’t know the difference, but you’re surely get exponentially more manly respect with a carb vs soy injection.

You can have a basic single barrel carb on a multi cylinder engine as well you know.

nothing wrong with drinking soy

How much does this hurt throttle response (I assume it’d mean a longer intake)?

who /chadburator/ here?

Wish I could go bike carbs on each cylinder myself, but I would get fucked in that very second for "illegal modifications".
Fuck this nanny country.

dual chadburetor reporting in.

>2018
>not removing dpf egr and pcv for carbon free DI
There's even combinations of DI and PI nowadays

Fuel injection is a thousand times superior, prove me wrong.

Only cucks like to "mess around" with carburettors, its the soiboi's #1 choice in fuel delivery.

Fuck no.

tfw carb injection

OK. ill own a Ford fiesta Mk2 ( 1985 ) with the 1.1 liter engine. The automatic choke. which makes it wanna stall easily cold. So i gotta drive it like a old saab 2 stroke ( gas and left braking )

My question is:
should i dare to buy a off brand carb and convert it, or try to buy a refurbish kit?

convert it to manual choke

>makes you obsolete

>getting fuel and oil on manly hands while tuning carb
>soiboi

pick one

>He doesn't realize EFI is just as simple as a non-emissions carb
>He doesn't realize EFI is simpler to diagnose
B-BUT THE ELECTRICS!
GOD DAMN KIDS AND THEIR NEWFANGLED ELECTRIC LIGHTING! KEROSENE FOR ME!

Pic related, SO much simpler than EFI.

The biggest drawback is you can only have one tuning. So one or two cylinders are perfect, the others are usually slightly rich

1.3 Swift?

Twin HS6 SU's here. Still got a stumble on acceleration desu

>bike carbs

That's a never ending hole of "not quite running", from hard experience. Infinite bragging rights though

Righto now someone do the electric car one so we can stop this

>efi is just as simple

I'd rather track down an air leak or sticking slide, than an intermittent poor injector feed current

>uh uh bu-but muh eyes can't see the individual electrons doing work so it must be magic I can never comprehend despite being born into and living in a computerized society.

If you were born after 1910 (first year the US Census was tabulated by machine) there is NO EXCUSE for not having a grasp of electron theory and computer logic. These things were designed and built by human beings, they are not incomprehensible and really very similar in operation to mechanical systems, just that the mathematics that were originally done by a mechanical assembly physically metering fuel are now done by a computer that has direct control over fuel flow and monitors air density for optimum power. The end result is exactly the same. If you could have a human being with a barometer adjusting your carb as you drove the road you would basically have manual EFI.

>need new carb for kingswood ute
>look at holley prices online
>holley ultra dominator quad pumper super soaker
>$750
>little holley 2 barrel
>$750
I'm guessing they must move more giant carbies so they can run at a lower margin.

that's not hard at all
bust out the multimeter or if it's new enough, an OBD reader. Not got either? Swap injectors around until you find the bad one, which will also test if the wiring is bad.

It's a totally different diagnostic method but it's no harder than fucking with a carb.

I don't miss cars stinking of gas

There's a giant flat spot between 1200 and 1800 RPM.
Hmm.

>carb
Well shit time to figure out if it's the accelerator pump of a dirty jet-- pump's working, dammit now I have to take the thing apart and change the filter too.

>efi
Better poke the MAF and TPS with a multimeter-- yep that ain't the right voltage coming out of the MAF.

Any mechanic who's worth their salt knows how to work on both. Once you look at how EFI works you'll realize that it's doing exactly the same things a carb does, just spread out across the engine bay.

I quite like the leather-and-gasoline smell of my Miata, though it's because ethanol seeps through the fuel filler neck and not because there's a puddle of gas sitting in the intake.

No pics of the carby itself, only the filter

I can make any modification I want to my engine and just change the quick jets in 10 seconds

I had a couple carb'd vehicles recently. There was no gas stink after I fixed them and they ran right.

Did I break them?

Once somewhere within every six months my truck just dies when I shift from drive to reverse.

Not even a major stumble before stalling it just drops. It has thrown codes for other things but this stalling is so infrequent but it does absolutely happen twice a year I am not sure what to make of it.

Any of y'all dealt with pressure carbs?

I sent out my stromberg PD12K14 carb for overhaul and I got charged roughly $5k.

>Veeky Forums will shill for efi for days
>But will shit on automatic transmission every second

Does the Venturi spiral suck the fuel out of the float chamber through the jet? Or is the float chamber pressurized?

Pressure differential from the air going through the venturi pulls fuel out of the float bowl. The bowl is open to the atmosphere up at the top.
It's the same phenomenon as when you blow across the top of a straw that's in a glass of water.

I want a car with a Caution Fan.

>mfw this thread

Not one fucking bit

Four R1 carbs with ITB's

Chadrajet checking in

I've worked on EFI vehicles, I've dealt with modern vehicles and the various sensors and computers, I don't really mind them, I've even helped people install and troubleshoot kits like FiTech and Holley's Sniper EFI setups, again, don't mind em, but on my daily all I gotta worry about is air fuel spark, every hose, line and wire I've replaced and/or checked since the first week I've owned the thing, and had no issues since. In 2 1/2 years, and over 65,000 miles in that amount of time, I've ran into 2 issues ever with it starting/running right.

>getting ready to head to the store
>truck won't start for shit, wouldn't fire without ether and full WOT
>welp fuel pump shit the bed after 205,000 miles

Diaphragm shit the bed and was draining back after sitting for ~1 hour, could only keep the fuel filter full if the rpm's stayed up, drove to the parts store and swapped in the damn parking lot in 15 minutes.

>truck suddenly running like shit, shifting like shit on way to the store
>night before beat on it like it owed me money on some dirt roads
>vacuum line to the trans modulator came off

Wahhh, carbs so bad, hurrdurr archaic boomer tech. I keep an eye on shit, do regular maintenance, and don't use craptacular replacements when I do, it's pretty fucking simple, and I'm no boomer either at 26.

>being a carbarettors cuck while it forces you to tune it to ITS liking before it works for you
>not simplying turning the key and having the engine start because the injectors are your bitches and they don't want to upset you

Yeah, the carbarettors are the cuck soiboi's choice for sure

good goy

Autolite 4100 reporting

christ no
>shit economy
>shit to start (especially in cold weather)
>shit power (most stock carbs are under specced for purpose unlike stock EFI which has alot left in it)
Leave it to boomers, there is a reason Holley EFI exists

>implying modern carbs are bad
the only reason to have DI is fuel efficiency i.e. cuckoldry.

holy shit do you even troubleshoot?

just disconnect the electrical to an injector. Does the engine run the same, or run worse? takes a whole 1 minute to diagnose a bank of injectors.

But carb, I see you every single day

>Nobody likes hard winter starts
Pull choke half out
Turn key
Fires within one nanosecond of turning the key

Tell that to my tractor.

SU carbs must just be somehow good for cold starting. Never experienced a carbed engine that starts so easily as the one I have now