pastebin.com/V7MzidCu

>News
TGGW v2.3 is out
thegroundgivesway.com/ground-gives-way-v2-3/

/dev/null tribute tourny starts Nov. 1
Play it at hardfought.org

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua)

>Roguelike Servers:

roguenex.us/ (CDDA, angband, PCB)
angband.live/ (Angband and variants, including PCB)
hardfought.org/ (Nethack and variants, including slex)

Other urls found in this thread:

angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?p=125382
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>not spriggan edition
You omnivores make me sick.

is eating vine stalkers vegan

The real answer is simply to remove food.

Food/hunger mechanics are bloat anyway

All consumable resources are. Wands, scrolls, potions...

How would we balance spell casters if we did this

Dumb generalization.

In DCSS?
Hunger doesn't meaningfully affect gameplay whether you are spriggan, gozag, or a spellcaster.
No balance changes are needed to counter-balance food removal.

Food/hunger is just resource management. Either resource management is bloat, or it isn't.

>b is a subset of a
>and b is c
>therefore a is c
Remove thyself.

That’s a real black and white view of things.

What separates B (hunger) from A (resource managent)?

If you're arbitrarily deciding that B is bloat, you need to explain why before you can have an argument.

Non-food consumable resources have tactical implications and do not exist in massive quantities like food does (chunks+perma-food is a lot).

Food has no strategic relevance whatsoever.

I don't know about you, but I find potions, wands, and scrolls fun to use, whereas food is not fun to use.

No tactical relevance, no strategic relevance, not fun. Bloat.

Go away Kevin, don’t you have a not-a-roguelike to ruin?

I like getting intrinsics from corpses isn’t that strategic?

Not really, as long as you don't need to make choices.

POWDER hunger mechanics are strategic, though - get bloated for regen or diet for potions.

>Food has no strategic relevance whatsoever.
I think what you meant to say was food has no tactical relevance. Strategy = large scale/long term, tactics = small scale/short term.
HP lost is a tactical concern, infection caused by a poorly cauterized wound is a strategic concern. One turn spent drinking a potion mid-battle is a tactical concern, five minutes preparing and eating a meal from the existing resources during downtime is a tactical concern.

But I digress. Touch of hunger. Hunger from spellcasting, places and times when food doesn't exist in massive quantities, etc. Food can very much be strategically relevant.

I meant what I said.

The issue with that claim is that food pretty much always exists in massive quantities in DCSS.

We're not discussing DCSS.

Oh sorry, I thought we were discussing roguelikes.

We are, it's just that games with cats in them are not roguelikes.

>b is a subset of a
>and b is c
>therefore a is c
Remove thyself.

We’re discussing hunger mechanics which dcss has and the strategic significance of hunger mechanics which dcss doesn’t have.
Don’t be dense.

DCSS is not the only roguelike with hunger mechanics.
If you're making a wide statement like
>Food/hunger mechanics are bloat anyway
in a
>Roguelike
thread, the inference is that you're talking about food/hunger mechanics in regards to Roguelikes.

You never specified it's bloat in SOME roguelikes, you've never picked out the subset (DCSS) from the set (Roguelikes), so we are discussing Roguelikes.

Says the guy who says if hunger is bloat all resource management is bloat. Nope no wide sweeping statements here.

Can you tell a few words about my in-dev roguelike's UI? Sorry for commies language

It needs work

That post is merely pointing out the fallacy in your statement by making an equally ridiculous one. Apparently it went over your head.

HOW THE FUCK I GET OUT THE ABYSS?

I've been here for almost half hour and no fucking exit gateways

Spend another half hour

I haven't been around in about a year, have there been any good additions to trunk?

So you were just being retarded on purpose. Got it.
Hunger mechanics are still bloat and don’t add any gameplay depth.

Objectively wrong.

I don't know man, it's kinda, I mean
Make it more... pssssh

>oh no I’m hungry better eat one of these 16 rations
Strategery

Skill targetting.
Nospawn was a particularly good removal.
Evocations changes were pretty good as well.

what's skill targetting and nospawn?

>I have never played a good roguelike with meaningful resource management, ever.

I feel like doing a graphical roguelike with sidebars for anything other than message log is kind of silly.
Waste of the potential of going graphical.
HUD overlays are a much better way to do that if you're smart about it.

Skill targetting lets you press = in the skill screen and set a target which automatically stops training when the skill hits that level.

No spawn means that monsters no longer randomly spawn after initial level generation outside of zones like Abyss and the orbrun.

Man, I died... I really want to cry. What the hell

Nobody around here plays brogue

Well if it's any consolation, Abyss 4 as a Qazlal worshipper would be difficult for even an experienced player.

Food is a non-issue in Brogue if you are any good, hopefully that's not what user means though.

Git gud

Holy shit, those both sound awesome, I might have to actually play some dcss for once.

The same could be said for any game like rogue.

anyone still playing tangledeep unironically?

Yeah I'm really trying hard to think of a roguelike where food is a meaningful strategic resource and I'm coming up with nothing.

Nobody was even playing it ironically

I was and now I like it
I still prefer OWH+ and Elona though

I wonder what Dicks thinks about the whole catalonian independence thing.

Well you haven't posted any runs/wins so I'm inclined to think you're full of shit.

I haven't won yet and if I posted my run it would just turn into shitting on muh dongle deep is shit paying for rls lmao lol no taste shit game gb2rddt shitposting fest
actually barely anyone posts their runs here anyway

I just checked it out and it turns out there's been tons of updates, I'm gonna give it another chance later this day

ivan got an update???

Ye

Just now and it's a juicy one, too.
Gonna play it.

>tayngl deap costs 15 euro
HAHAHAHA WHAT

OH SHIT

>/rlg/ poster cannot afford 15 euro
LUL PogChamp Kappa

Wow nice

More like /rlg/ poster doesn't want to spend 15e without a good reason

Apparently you can dig out the new dungeon's ruby walls and the guards won't give a shit.

Though the best material you can get on a pickaxe by praying to loricatus is meteoric steel.
You could actually get a mithril pickaxe from killing a shopkeeper of course, but that kinda defeats the whole purpose of selling things to a shopkeeper, since he doesn't drop money on death.
Well, that's one thing out of the way.

Oh, man.
They added sol stones.
This makes training legstrength useless in IVAN again because you can use scrolls of change material to turn them into gold and then clone them.

Oh shit nigga

Really good gear on this dude, but the fucker's standing on church ground even if she's outside the walls, so it's impossible to actually kill her.
What I want to try to see is if I could actually put down a wand of teleport next to her, plant a mine and teleport her away from her post so I could murder her more easily.

AFC.
And apparently even if I was levitating, I triggered the explosion somehow. Maybe it's scripted for cathedral mines? Maybe it wasn't allowed?

Welp I guess we aren't getting the first madness win today after all.

Man, they really reworked the attnam underground dungeon. I like it.

Sadly, these guys must have the same cirminal scum sense the Oblivion guards had, because even if you close yourself in an empty room, people will know you stole from them and the whole town of attnam will want to kill you.
Too bad, because there's like 20 carrots here. That's a shitton of perception points.

The coffin at the end of the dungeon is empty, as always. But the dude that's guarding it carries two unique octiron axes covered with liquid darkness, which hit for darkness I guess? They never stop being covered with it, are pretty accurate and superlight and can also be sold for a fair price if you've got better gear already. Killing him from afar with a wand in the earlygame seems like the best choice to get some good weapons.

You can get better, but above meteoric you need to get lucky. It's like 1 in 25 or so.

The old fluff was that the paintings of Petrus were watching you, but I guess they forgot to put them on the walls for that level.

>MexTE4: im going to have to cheat the win now to fix this
What did he mean by this?

yeah, I remember there was damascus steel and even mithril, but it's hardly worth it.

have you played the 44th fork of PCB yet, anons?
angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?p=125382

The hell's Kangband?
And if it doesn't have -R's features, what's the point?

>compostband
>literally shitband

he could have chosen a better name.

having the up/down/left/right arrows all in a vertical line seems like a horrible, horrible decision

stop seeing shit everywhere

rogue

the dev knows about -r and intends to bring in features/content from there too assuming is coding will keeps up

WE WUZ

A series of Orbs of Fire malmutated the fuck out of me in the orb vault, and now I look like this.

Am I right in thinking the only way to get out of this now is to chug potions of mutation and hope for the best?

JUST

I like the ruins. With lucky personality you can actually get (excellent) items from an inexhaustible source of rubble that just respawns once you go back to the worldmap.

also oh my god will angband.live's interface ever not be shit

playing poschengband without a monster subwindow is asking for suicide to happen.

i hope you re memetaur berserker so -30% hp values nothing
you still having 300 hp or so

good, good

My gf completed ADOM yesterday. Why you can not?

Berlin interpretation says nothing about girlfriends

>memetaur berserker
What do you take me for, some kind of idiot?

Gargoyle berserker.

Anyway apparently potions of mutation kick ass now because I drank two and I'm down to this.

>a pair of horns grows on your head!
>your really good helmet falls off!
That will never stop being funny.

No kidding. Can't believe the game counts that as a "beneficial" mutation.

Thank god I already have sInv on my plate armour.

I mean don't get me wrong, the new stuff in ivan is great.
I do think that the whole stealing mechanic should be improved though.
I mean, steal a carrot behind a closed door while invisible and the whole of attnam will be on your ass.

thats what you get for stealing

it's just sloppy user
you should be able to steal if there's nobody in LOS or you're invisible and they don't have a ring of infravision.
But maybe that would buff the chacters too much with the addition of permanently standing elements, which is most unroguelikey.

I just think it's silly.
The guaranteed pickaxe and weapons (if you manage to grab them) in the attnam catacombs are good though.